NBL1 OG
Years ago

NBL1 Central Week 12 Preview

Apologies to Woj who does a fantastic job, but I was bored and had some time so thought I'd throw some thoughts together for next weeks games. I will leave the power rankings to him as he seems to be more on top of that than I am but I'll do a quick preview of next weeks games as there are some juicy matchups to chat about.

Forestville vs North

We have to start with this one. North look to have their act together and without looking I think it's 3 or 4 wins in a row now, but Forestvilles streak is even longer at 5+. Brine got player of the week for a huge effort against his old club, while McVeigh and Dech put up big numbers for the Rockets. While the Eagles aren't exactly deep, they are solid where it matters, in the starting 5 and I think Andy will find a way to maintain this win streak and make Norths path to the final very difficult. Forestville by 6.

West vs Norwood

Norwood dropped one they'd have been hoping to get last week against Forestville, trying to back up from a good win over Woodville. West down to 4-7 and struggling to keep pace with the finals group, this is a must win for them. West handled them the first time around and should be confident of doing it again - like North they are getting down to their final chances to keep pace. McLean well and truly on the hot seat if they go 4-8. Norwood though just have a bit too much now with Green in form. Flames by 8.

Eastern vs Sturt

Mavs struggling to contain teams now as they continue to lose players. Coach probably needs to focus more on improvement from his team instead of the refs. Sturt back on track after a stinker against Southern. Sturt by 37.

Centrals vs Woodville

Warriors with a couple of losses in a row now put themselves right back to the pack after a promising start. Centrals lurking but may be too far behind to make a real charge and more likely to just play the role of spoiler. Lions have the athletes to compete with the Warriors and I expect this to be much closer than the first time around. Warriors by 7.

South vs Southern

Probably the second biggest game of the round. Southerns round 3 win kicked off a win streak for them and while it was a surprise at the time in hindsight the result makes sense. Starling is out now and replaced by a couple of 36ers fringe guys though I'm not certain on Hulland's status after missing last game. Southern are well drilled, very well organised and Coleman and McCalop are probably the best duo in the league, complimenting each other well. Petty has his team in 4th right now despite copping it on these forums, and they are sitting pretty for a second half of the season charge. South to be Southern at MV by 4 if Hulland plays, or Southern by 4 if he sits.

Be interested in others thoughts on these or their power rankings through the week. 4 games have very large finals implications.

Topic #48801 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt v Eastern write up is excellent

Reply #856923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1/5 ain't bad!

Reply #856965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will these games go ahead?

Reply #857115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #857133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like they will. I have:

Forestville
West
Sturt
Southern
Woodville

Reply #857145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they will

Reply #857146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woj what you got?

Reply #857632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Rojo break the record tonight for the most rejections in a season.

Reply #857995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ejections

Reply #857996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood vs West cancelled.

Reply #857997 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

More information please. Both matches? Reason?

Reply #858000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw on NBL1 Facebook. An issue with the venue.

Reply #858001 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

Just received from club source - ARC toilet/plumbing issues

Reply #858002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One day it floods from above the next from below. Aptly named centre

Reply #858010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North just over Forestville

Reply #858054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 4 games this weekend due to issues at the ARC and three significant upsets which are starting to set up the race for the finals.

North over Forestville and more importantly now have the split over Forestville.

South upset Southern - is this just a blip or will Southern struggle? How did Olbrich get approval to play when he won't play the mandatory 8 games to qualify for finals?!?!

Centrals big winners over Woodville without Jacobs playing. Woodville now out of the top 5.

Sturt and Eastern - that game wasn't an upset!!!

Big games this week including Eagles v Warriors, Southern v Centrals, South v West and Sturt v North. All these games will help shape the finals with perhaps the biggest being Sturt v North. Will Sturt bring North back to earth? If North win are they now a sneaky chance to get the double chance?

Next 6 rounds will be great. Been an exciting season so far

Reply #858081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure the split will be that important for north as I can't see Forestville dropping too many others but certainly if South or Southern slip up the Rockets could start to move up. As you say they have a big game next week against Sturt which I think would be a coin flip at best for the Rockets.

Everyone waiting for the Tigers bubble to burst but don’t think it will, just a blip here.

Centrals keeping themselves alive in the race for finals. Woodville could be in trouble if Jacobs misses more time.

Will be a great run home to finals.

Reply #858089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

081 "how did Olbrich get approval to play" his dad probably bullied and intimidated to make it happen. If you have ever seen him out at games you would know it's consistent behaviour.

Reply #858116 | Report this post

Greg Olbrich  
Years ago

Love how I've been out of the game for many years, yet I still garner a mention here on Hoops.

#118 Thanks for your feedback.. it appears that I may have wronged you at some point.. if only your comments weren't under the guise of anonymity or have a shred of truth to them, at least I could properly then account for my 'sins' and apologise in person.

I will admit that I am a very loud and vocal supporter both of my club and my two kids (and their respective teams), but NEVER have I bullied or intimidated ANYONE into providing special favours for either of my boys... their achievements are their own, through sheer resilience, persistence and damn hard work.

For what it's worth, the club has organised with COE's consent for Lachy to play (which they were happy to supply and we are of course very happy to support) and he knows full well he will not qualify for finals. He is a club boy through and through and is just excited to play with his brother, his team mates and his club and will take any opportunity he can to do so.

Much love!
Greg

Reply #858177 | Report this post

Greg Olbrich  
Years ago

Sorry... Old eyesight clearly failing me... in my previous post, should have been #116 (not 118!)

Reply #858178 | Report this post

Denny Crane  
Years ago

Did Rojo get his technical foul again this week?????

Reply #858188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't there a BSA bylaw stating you can’t register and/or play if you cannot qualify for finals? Did Lachlan have some kind of exemption for this as by my calculations it appears he would fall short of that mark.

Reply #858191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the poster above posing the question, for what it’s worth I think it’s great to see the COE kids in our NBL1 competition even if it’s only a game or two but I think the questioning of it above pertains to the NBL1 Central bylaws (which could have been satisfied by Lachlan or the club, people are just asking)

Reply #858193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bylaws under this management are guides. All clubs have to do is ask and they will be given permission to break them. Notice Rios and Mays on the same team?
DJ in previous years. Borlase and Simons?

That's just at NBL1 level. It's a free for all below that.

On the games, North beating Forestville wasn't that big an upset, the margin maybe. South live and die by the energy they bring and Davies/Brown making shots. Zone by West (who then choked) and South seem to trouble the Tigers.

Woodville are done now. Top 5 looks set.

Reply #858200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg would've re written the by laws or threatened to leave

Reply #858206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think the margin over Forestville was big North were up by 35 in second half of final qtr before running their 8-12 players.

Reply #858208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Lachlan Olbrich. Reminder that all Australian players returning from college or the Centre of excellence only need 6 games. There is no issue with this if you didn't notice bella returned this week for Southern too as she's a returning college player this is allowed in the bylaws.

With NBL1 you can't just play a new player there are new processes you must follow and this all goes through bsa so no club can get away with bending the rules. Maybe get your facts right before you personally attack someone for being a great person in the Basketball community.

Reply #858225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it say COE? I know it applies to NBL and returning college players.

Reply #858233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Greg. A classy response to a classless post from someone hiding behind the veil of anonymity, who for what it's worth could not be more wrong.

Reply #858236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, By-laws do not reference COE. I don't mind it happening but at least get the by-laws correct!

Reply #858242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By laws also say you can't have 2 teams in Reserves.

Reply #858243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

243 2 teams in reserves, 70+% of HP players and coaches picked, blind eye turned to systemic poaching.
That's because Sturt is BSA and BSA is Sturt. Nothing will ever change so don’t bother wasting your energy fighting a blatantly corrupt system.
With all the bad press swimming and gymnastics are receiving one wonders what an investigation into SA Basketball would uncover

Reply #858343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't BSA enforce the by-laws they have most noticeably the need for teams competing in NBL1 to have a div 1 team in all junior age/gender competitions?

Why have any rules if you are selective in what to apply and what not to apply

Reply #858348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

348 that is not a by law.

Reply #858371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suggest you go to BSA Website and read clause 3.2 of the NBL1 Central Rules of Operation

Reply #858380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else surprised by the score between Forestville and North? I really thought that would be a coin flip.

Southern have done enough early to make finals but they'd be disappointed to lose to South and now the Panthers will be hunting a double chance.

If Woodville miss finals with this team is Whitmore on the hot seat? Lots of hype but they’ve been worked out and seem to be on a disappointing trajectory. Centrals could make a charge at finals now.

West and Norwood - any word on when their game is to be rescheduled?

Reply #858433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

380 you're not real bright are you?
I'd suggest you go and read it again yourself, specifically the clause underneath the one you've just plucked out.

Read it slowly so it makes sense to you.

Reply #858486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

486 were you dropped on your head when a baby?

Reply #858494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

494 are you serious?
Which bit is confusing you?
Surely it's not that difficult to understand.

Tell us what you don't get and maybe the rest of us can help you. It's literally right there in writing yet you still think you're right.

Reply #858517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rules appear to be deliberately vague.

Left to interpretation. So typical, so poor.

Nominate not compete, but BSA By-laws means one of those 10 nominate they automatically get included. Says Div 1 and 2 but not all grades, could that be their out?

The following year their entry is under review. But this doesn't mean they can play the same year they don't hae Div 1 and 2 teams. Just that on top of the previous point they then have to apply and be approved to play the following year.

But who knows, in the end BSA is too piss weak to exclude a club.

Reply #858521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not one of the 2 bickering above but was interested what they were talking about. It looks to me that if clubs don't field div 1 and 2 juniors then they will be reviewed for NEXT season's competition. But it would be very interesting if for example Woodville that have struggled mightily in junior girls numbers, have their senior teams axed. Will never happen IMO. But if any team has an extremely weak age group, what benefit to the kids if they are forced to play and get thumped each week. Maybe BSA should have a look at themselves and be ashamed they are not helping clubs in terms of junior development, not all playing fields are equal.

3.2 Club Eligibility Requirements
(a) A Club must be a financial member of the League and must continue to be financial
throughout the season.
(b) A Club may field teams in the NBL1 Central for a season only if:
(i) It fields both a men's and women’s team;
(ii) It pays the Annual License fee to BSA (where applicable);
(iii) It enters a men’s and women’s team in the BSA Reserve division during the same
season and the preceding Summer season (where applicable); and
(iv) Commencing Winter season 2021 it enters teams in both boys and girls divisions
in Basketball SA Metro League Competition Division One (1) and Division Two (2)
in all age groups of U12’s, U14’s U16’s, U18’s.
(v) Should a Club fail to nominate a team in any of the divisions in (iv) above the overall position in relation to finances and junior development will be reviewed prior to accepting nominations for the following season.

Reply #858525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is not BSAs responsibility to tell close bs how to spend their revenue etc. my view if you have such a clause the review process develops a progressive plan to meet requirements and if you slip you can't have NBL1 teams

Reply #858540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It says review, that doesn't mean shit to weak BSA. A few legal threats and they'll settle down.
Meanwhile club's will just trot out poor kids to get thumped, nothing in there mentions competitive team, just fielding them. How does that translate to junior development?

Reply #858547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the top 5 set now? If Woodville are sliding can anyone outside the 5 push their way in?

Reply #858611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South are the most likely to drop out. But Woodville or Norwood have yet to proven they can win enough in a row to take their spot.

I'd say the Panthers will hold on and the top 5 will remain as is.

Reply #858690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tend to agree but would not be surprised to see Norwood make it at South's expense. The return game between South and Norwood will be one of the important games over the remainder of the season. A Norwood win will give them the split over South.

Who do you think will get the double chance. When looking at splits and remaining games its not beyond the realms of possibility that North make the top 3

Reply #858701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals charging. They'd be better than even money to make the 5.

Reply #858704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding north, someone will knock them off, in fact I think they could lose a couple from here and miss out. Sturt will start favourites against them this week.

Reply #858707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When do the College kids start heading off? Will they see the season out?

Reply #858709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't say central's are charging. Beat an underperforming Woodville, had one good quarter against West and choked against South.

Reply #858733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be very curious about the power ranking views following last round where teams 2&3 on the ladder were beaten by 4th and 6th at the time. You could make an argument for South v North in GF or having them play off in the elimination final.

Whatever the scenario it will be a great run down to the finals with important games each week

Reply #858781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need a Woj power rankings.

Reply #858788 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754