NZ playing United
Drop this and they're 0-5.

No Randle or Abercrombie for NZ.

14-10 3:42 to go in the first quarter

Topic #49563 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Melbourne up 21-14 at quarter time and in control

Breakers looking average without WMW running the show.

Reply #879931 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Unbelievably shyte reffing ruining White's comeback

Great D Again by United so far

Reply #879932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Really bad call on the Timmons block, White offensive foul and now the backcourt violation. Wtf refs.

Reply #879933 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NZ look to me a bit like Brisbane

Lots of talent, but a little weak at the 5 spot.

Wetzell can score but his D is suspect.

Reply #879934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams look very tired, agree on ref questionable both ways and melbourne d strong

Reply #879936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wetzell's doing great. But he’s overworked. I’m glad Timmins is getting a run. All they need him to do is set screens and play defence. He was JLA’s kryptonite preseason.

Reply #879937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne need to up the tempo like they did early. Breakers will tire out easily. But if it gets into an ugly half court battle, the Breakers will win this. United only have Goulding who can create his own shot reliably whereas the Breakers have Martin, WMW, Besson, etc.

Reply #879938 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sam Timmins showing he belongs in the league.
Hustling and working hard and more mobile than Rob Loe.
Nz fighting to stay in this one and doing well to be only down by 3 at halftime.

Reply #879939 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United scored 13 points then, in about 15 minutes of bball before CG got involved in the last 2 minutes

I predict that sort of dry run will be pretty common whenever CG is struggling for impact

We're seeing a template of basically what Was expected from United's season and what we're starting to see regularly- hustling and competing on every possession, scrappy, strong Defensively, opponent working hard for points. But then United struggling to create good looks at the other end.

Reply #879940 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agree United looks best when they push the tempo. Early they were getting the ball and running hard.

It's the easiest way to score in any level of basketball really. And mostly effort driven and being aware.

Eventually I hope they put White back to the 4 (although 4 is crowded in this roster obviously). Agada and White running the lanes together, CG trailing for 3s, would be a nice mix

Reply #879942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne need a second creator. Last year they arguably had Hopson. But Dellavedova and Ili are defensive guards. Agada is starting to look better, but he doesn't look very creative either. This will be really interesting how this plays out, but it looks like the Breakers are getting into their half court wrestling match they mastered last year when they had a horrid run of injuries.

Reply #879943 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Vickerman goes with my suggestion earlier than I expected haha

Reply #879944 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

When does Dean want it?

RIGHT NOW

Reply #879945 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Uniteds bigs are bullying Wetzell

15 pts bw them and should be more except Hukporti 1-6 and missed a couple of bunnies

SEMs Qi will do same to them. This could be big weakness for NZ. Wetzell prolly still having nightmares from Landale making him a bunny last year

Reply #879946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. That's a charge or a block. But a no call on either Besson or Dellavedova? WTF.

Reply #879947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Vickerman not get tech'd? He is literally screaming at the referees.

Reply #879948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from a handful of nice Goulding shots this is an ugly game.

Reply #879949 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United are a fairly ugly team this year.... they'll keep "testing the limits of the referees", scrapping and competing primarily because of their D. They don't have the flair or fire-power of previous seasons.

Reply #879950 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers look flat.
0-5 here we come lol.

Reply #879951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referees have no limits. I'm sitting at home and all I can hear is Vickerman. I can understand if a coach gets animated on a bad call, but he’s spending more time coaching the referees yelling CHARGE-CHARGE-CHARGE, TRAVEL-TRAVEL-TRAVEL, 3-3-3. He’s a great coach, but like Gleeson, why are they allowed to act like this game after game?

Reply #879952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest, unless Melbourne has a big quarter the Breakers are still in it. If they get hot, and that's a bit IF, they’ll steal the game. Melbourne is ugly.

Reply #879953 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Having said that, United has quality defenders everywhere and I'm enjoying watching them

despite the fact they won't be putting any 100 point games up Anytime soon with this group.

Good D is still good Basketball!

Reply #879954 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That Hukporti dunk was pure man handling of Wetzell

Manhandled by a boy!

Reply #879955 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just realised how bad that line reads....

Reply #879956 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Think United will win this

Feel sorry for NZ. They'll be alright with Randle and Abercrombie

Injuries and covid stuff destroyed last season for them and at 0-5 this season quickly becoming the same

Reply #879957 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

You just to admire the breakers! Win lose they deserve the upmost respect for what they are sacrificing since Covid hit.

Behind Perth I do really cheer them on for what not many of us have even the slightest idea of what they are going through.

Can't even gauge team’s playing against the breakers because you don’t know how they will turn up mentally

Reply #879958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like too see melbourne play this defensive intensity in Perth I'm sure it would be allowed there.

But regardless breakers just not accurate enough to deal with the intensity from melbourne.

Melbourne look to want it a lot more

Reply #879959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cut loe sign timmons maybe the jack jumpers could take loe

Reply #879960 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hukporti really grown in confidence last 2 games

CG43 has the green light with this roster and should have one of the highest scoring seasons of his career

White hasn't skipped a beat

Plenty to like about today. Teams are finding it very difficult to deal with United's defensive intensity

United though won't find it as easy keeping the better teams down like this though. Its one thing keeping Adams less Sydney and Rundle less NZ controlled but the top 3- or even Brisbane- will be different. Looking forward to watching how this all plays out.

Reply #879962 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Randle*

Reply #879963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0 - 5, this is not ideal. Credit to Melbourne definitely the better team on the day.

I said it in another thread but Dieng is struggling defensively and offensively. I get it he brings media attention, but we need wins and he doesn't look like he's going to help bring them, play Bach instead.

Reply #879964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You feel for the Breakers. Hopefully a full 7 day break and Abercrombie back together with Randle will give them enough players to be properly competitive. Season is slipping away before it's even started.

Reply #879965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You feel for the Breakers. Hopefully a full 7 day break and Abercrombie back together with Randle will give them enough players to be properly competitive. Season is slipping away before it's even started.

Reply #879966 | Report this post

Why not ?  
Years ago

Vickerman screaming at the refs seems to be getting worse each game.

How long are they going to accept this behaviour - less experienced or coaches for smaller teams for sure would have been set out of the stadium by now. Even Gazy talking about Vickerman's behaviour being over the top

Reply #879967 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers really need reinforcements and to regroup.

WMW, Besson, Delaney and Wetzell can't play 40mins and carry the team.

Credit to Melbourne on the win.

Reply #879968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think talent is the issue here, I do think we have a good team and depth in the players.

Shamir doesn't seem to trust them and then they're not confident when they do get sent out. All teams in this league have players that are less talented than their starts on the bench that's how a bench works.

Why even bother to re-sign players like Bach and Loe if you don't trust them.

I honestly think the team will regroup fine, the loss to Adelaide is the only one of the 5 that stuck out to me as a bad loss (Phoenix first game had fair excuses).

I do think playing the top two ranked teams 3 times at home out of your 5 games is never going to be pretty.

Reply #879969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers gone already, it's tough but can’t go 0-5 and make finals. They will cause trouble at home if they ever get back there.

Reply #879973 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Breakers are a Hopson type player away from being a legit championship contender in my mind.

Reply #879974 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

Melb United or melb tigers, not really any difference. You always knew that even if the tigers were 20 up they would
Still give you a chance. United really do struggle to blow teams away. I know they stuck it to the violet crumbles last game, but I don't count Sydney as anything. NZ are no good, 0 and 4, tigers(United) should blow them away. This game could go down to the wire because United(tigers) just don’t have the killer instinct.

Reply #880024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754