curtley
Two years ago

New NBL commentators

Erin Phillips, Mitch Creek,Leigh Montagna and jenna Ohea are going to be calling games next year. Good call? Is Montagna any good?

https://nbl.com.au/news/new-voices-join-nbl-broadcast

Topic #50447 | Report this topic

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Not a fan of Joe at the Blitz but he does bring enthusiasm.

Reply #899773 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

*Leigh! My mind got mixed up with Joe Montana!!

Reply #899774 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Hopefully they concentrate on the game instead of rambling on about insignificant crap. You don't have to continuously talk, it’s tv not radio.

Reply #899776 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Looks like they've taken on some of the World Cup hosts and commentary.

Leigh "Joey" Montagna has been doing commentary for Fox Footy for those that don’t follow AFL.

Alistair Nicholson you’ll have also seen on the 7 AFL coverage.

That’s a massive list, does that signal a return to in-stadium commentary or is this just a big list of sideline reporters? Are we going to see 2 sideline reporters world cup style?

Gibson has been doing good expert commentary during the Blitz, interesting that Creek is joining, how long is he out for?

No Dwayno!!?!

Reply #899777 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Not a fan of players who are currently under contract working the mic, they generally give you nothing.

During the World Cup Screen just talks constantly, it's very annoying

Reply #899779 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

It seems as important to the NBL that we get maximum Mitch Creek as it was to the AFL that we got maximum Wayne Carey
:/

Reply #899780 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.

Reply #899781 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

They will hopefully use the new media deal to have courtside commentary instead of it all being in a remote studio. Remember back in the day with Cotton pointing at Homocide and Lauchy laughing him at him. That was TV Gold.

You cannot beat the court side vibe, they also see some of the small things that are not often picked up on a telecast.

Reply #899790 | Report this post

twenty four  
Two years ago

Slightly disappointing that Jenni Screen won't be involved. Would loved to have heard a few 'you go girlfriends' thrown into the coverage.

Reply #899791 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Not a fan of the AFL community making its way into the NBL, wonder how many times we will here cross references and/or how often we will hear about how Pendlebury almost took a career path in basketball.

Reply #899792 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Twenty four if you read the e tire release Screen is a returning commentator

Reply #899793 | Report this post

Red84  
Two years ago

I have to yet to listen to Phillios or Creek or O'Hea so I with hold judgment.

First impression - they are not the most analytical bunch are they?
Why not have a "special comments" nerdy systems guy - someone with experience reviewing footage as part of a coaching support crew - someonw who brings to the contest a set of eyes, not group think, someone who is NOT friends with the players, so they are free to offer an honest assessment.

Reply #899794 | Report this post

Red84  
Two years ago

How unfortunate Screen is returning. Anyhow - I suppose her approach appeals to some.

Reply #899795 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Jenna has been decent enough on the WC coverage to suggest she'd go ok on regular broadcasts. Erin has been underwhelming. Maley I feel has been added to tick boxes.

Bummer Rosen and Screen are back, speak too much and too fast.

They are long gone, but I miss dudes who played the game like Bradtke, Kerle and Harvey. Always appreciated their commentary and insight.

Reply #899801 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Joey Montagna does half-time and post-game special comments and analysis but I don't think he does game calling anywhere? Or does he do Triple M (I dont listen to radio much?) if he does I'm pretty sure it's special comments too. He sounded enthusiastic enough

Havent been overly impressed with any of the WC womens commentators

Keep it simple, there's some quality operators- Gazey, Santa, Hooley, give them as many games as possible

Reply #899802 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I think there's a big difference between special comments and game calling in footy, and you gotta get the mix right, like a team really

Bball is a bit different, less need for the play calling so the roles can become a little more flexible, but I'm not sure Joey has proven himself in a calling capacity. Still, he's a media personality in a much bigger, more professional sport so I'm happy to give him a go

Reply #899805 | Report this post

Flyers Get Wings  
Two years ago

Commentary will still be done from the hub. Hearing stats will also be done from off site.

Reply #899806 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Montagna has actually commented on Fox Footy games, more than halftime/panel type stuff.

Reply #899810 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Creek?

Fuck off.

Reply #899812 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Pretty ordinary and quite unnecessary having Creek there I wouldn't ask him for his opinion on the weather but it does indicate he's going to be out injured for quite some time then. Good to see Erin Phillips will be there.

Reply #899819 | Report this post

Anon123  
Two years ago

Astounding they've brought Creek in for obvious reasons.

With the AFL thing - they've brought in a bunch of ex-AFL types into the front office, including the new media manager, so it's no surprise Montanga is coming in. I think he's a good AFL analyst, but he's no play by play caller based on what I've seen from him in the preseason. Time will tell I guess but he didn't impress me. At least no more Dwayne Russell which is one positive. The other guys (Peterson and Nicholson) are ABC AFL callers in Melbourne and both are just mediocre.

From what I hear, commentary is still done at the hub in Melbourne, but the reason there are so many newbies coming in is there'll be two hosts at each site for each game, who will handle the pregame, halftime and postgame on air, meaning that there will be no more vision of the hub itself unlike in previous seasons.

Reply #899820 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Harvey & Kerle were good. I liked Carfino, would like to see him back.
In simple terms - anyone who doesn't over do it would be good. Similar to Mike Breen. That guy is so easy to listen to
A Chris Webber type to acompany would be ideal

Reply #899825 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Ultimately, the most important thing will be interviewers and interviewees meeting the mandatory "obviously" quota.

As long as they say obviously at a superfluously excessive and inappropriate rate, all will be well.

Reply #899827 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Quite enjoying Jason Bennett on the mic at the World Cup, seems to be the voice of reason and not barracking just commentating.

Reply #899830 | Report this post

Mat B  
Two years ago

Yeah Jason Bennett does a great job on the VFL commentary too.
He'd be an ideal NBL game called.

Reply #899832 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Two years ago

Got a lot of thoughts on this actually. Firstly, Leigh Montagna is a joke of a caller, he has an annoying sounding voice! Surely this is the first pre-requisite for a caller, far out. I remember hearing somewhere that whilst he was an AFL special comments man, he had aspirations to be a play by play caller, so we'll see what he does here.

It's good to see the commentary team roster returning though, last year I thought the barebones roster on ESPN got a bit repetitive.

It sucks to hear that they are reportedly still doing it from the studio though, that stinks. Amateur stuff in my opinion. It's such a myth created and spread by those just wanting to save money that 'it's the same to the viewer at home whether or not the callers are there', it takes away from the game massively IMO.

Finally I am eager to see JAM TVs production of the games. This company I believe is owned by Eddie McQuire and I think they have a fair amount of football related shows in their repertoire. Hopefully more cameras, and them trying some new things with the telecast and seeing what sticks would be nice. Not that there has been anything wrong with the production from say last year bar obviously the callers in studio, it's just good to see something new and hopefully something good.

Reply #899835 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Someone suggested Wayne Carey should become Chloe Carey and his rap sheet would disappear and he would become a media darling, much like his ex premiership teammate

Maybe the same would apply to Mitch "Michelle" Creek

Reply #899837 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

I think Montagna and Gibson did the Perth v Cairns blitz game and halfway through the first qtr they finally triggered that Norton wasn't playing and didn't know why despite a Perth media statement the day before.
I know it was just the blitz but jeez, I hope they do the most basic of research before a game.

Reply #899840 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Seriously Mitch Creek, no offence but he is still playing plus don't want to listen to a guy with a criminal record.

I liked James Harvey, John Casey, Lanard Copeland, D-Mac, Steve Carfino mostly past players who actually know the history of the nbl.

Not a fan of ex-AFL players coming in when they never played a nbl game. Jenna will be good, she keeps it simple. Losing Dwayne is a loss because I loved it when Corey and Dwanye would laugh at each other during the game. I think Pipe wants to take a break and now he can actually watch nbl games live rather then being stuck in a studio. He really does love his basketball, keeps praising it up on his radio show.

NBL need to be realistic and get local commentators for each team like what the NBA does. Having those’s player interactions from commentator to player is a big miss, league just trying to save money pathetic.

Perth already had a local commentating team, disappointing because you can’t beat being at a live game, was good catching up with commentators after the match too.

Reply #899842 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Someone mentioned Carfino. Excellent running partner with John Casey, but didn't he move back to the US?

Reply #899845 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

No Carfino still lives in Sydney, I think he is a PE teacher at a school. He has one son and daughter who may also still live in Sydney.

Reply #899846 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

John Casey and Steve Carfino in the regular season with Gaze/whoever as the third wheel for playoffs was the best setup. Minimal but sufficient.

Even though both Casey and Carfino were annoying at times it was in a loveable sort of way whereas most of the new talent these days is just pure cringe and shouldn't be anywhere near a broadcast.

Oh and please fuck off with the AFL angle.

Reply #899852 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Last but not least Mark 'Statman' Slocombe who was employed as a statistician by Fox Sports to aid the commentary team.

I tell you what they had less of a budget back then but did less with more compared with what we have today.

Reply #899853 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Statman has been doing the stats for the broadcast for the past few years. He's a star. Glad the league moved on from Carfino, he's an entertainment guy but I prefer those who bring analysis of the game in special comments.

Reply #899856 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Statman has been doing the stats for the broadcast for the past few years. He's a star.

Good to know - he was canned when Ten/One took over from Fox. Pricks.

Glad the league moved on from Carfino, he's an entertainment guy but I prefer those who bring analysis of the game in special comments.

True, Carfino was mainly there as an ex-player with broadcast clarity (at the time he did voice over work on the side).

Reply #899857 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes as soon as someone mentions that so and so could've been a great basketball player but is an afl player, instant dismissal. The afl get enough free media and the basketball doesn’t need there BS.

Basketball the world game.

Reply #899858 | Report this post

Bigboy  
Two years ago

Kelsey Griffin has been great for sideline comments for the woman's world cup, worth a listen to tonight when the Opals play at 8:30pm.

Straight to the point, not afraid to offer a different opinion compared to the 'expert commentators' doesn't fumble her words with 'errr's and uhm's' and has a high IQ of the game, hopefully she continues to move further into this down the line.

Reply #899861 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

Perth have their own commentary team?

I see Damian Martin but i dont see Lachie Read or Shawn Redhage's name up there (or Dennis Cometti, Tony Ronaldson, Mike Ellis, Brad Robbins, Adam Papalia or Tommy Garlepp's brother - all of whom have commentated Wildcats games in the past). Will Lach be doing courtside announcing and really getting the crowd going again?

Agree with posters above, the first requisite for a commentator must be their smooth voice where you actually want to listen to them.

I really like Jack Heverin but i feel like he was commentating on way too many games late last season so hopefully he doesnt do as many... would love to have Case on commentary far more.

Great that Dwayno and Anthony Hudson arent commentating NBL anymore.

Reply #899863 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Yeah I don't think there’s local commentary, just 2 local sideline reporters sounds more like what they’ll do.

That explains adding extra sideline type people - ie Brett Maher, Erin Philips for Adelaide.

I think Huddo is good, so I don’t agree with above.

Also think Jason Bennett is a decent commentator.

Who is Drew Jones? I don’t remember him from last year...

Reply #899870 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Drew Jones is that host on the AAMI Crossover with Kane Pittman and all. Drew works for FoxSports but is very biased about his Perth Wildcats..

I can't wait till Perth gets another team. They seriously need a local rival from the west.

Reply #899901 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

KET, i like Anthony Hudson and his footy commentary but his basketball wasnt so great.

Id prefer Billy Woods, Stephen Quartermaine and even Steve Carfino (as play by play) over Hudson.

Reply #899918 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Id prefer Billy Woods, Stephen Quartermaine and even Steve Carfino (as play by play) over Hudson.

Sick burn.

Reply #899919 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

They should be rewarding the best nbl1 commentators, create a pathway.

Reply #899928 | Report this post

WBF  
Two years ago

Dwayno wants to take himself downstairs.

Reply #899929 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

NBL1 commentators hahahaha

Reply #899930 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

What's wrong with the best nbl1 commentators getting a gig?

Reply #899931 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

You obviously did not listen to half of them across the country. City centric and quite frankly terrible most of them if not the lot of them. A National product like the NBL needs household names that transcend state borders.

And seriously the NBL1 guys mostly talked absolute rubbish. To the extent one game they were talking about NBL1 bringing in a coaches challenges next season and a dedicated replay centre! Total lunacy. NBL1 was much more enjoyable to watch with the volume muted. Much like when Shane Heal commentates.

Reply #899934 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Two years ago

Yeah spot on to the above poster. Being a big NFL fan, the thing that draws people in and keeps them there and coming back is familiarity in the voices you hear. As I posted yesterday, it can be repetitive and I'm all for giving newer guys a go but you want people to turn on ESPN, hear so and so's voice and immediately think 'okay this is a big game'.

Reply #899953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:11 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754