Mystro
Last year

Grand Final Game 1 Kings Vs Breakers

The All Blacks... sorry I mean the Breakers take on the Kings in Sydney in game 1 tonight before heading back to Vector Arena in Auckland for game 2 on Sunday.

Both teams have had a big break since their last Semi Final series with the FIBA window so it will be interesting how both teams perform come tip off.

Can NZ steal a win on the road or will the Kings and Chase Bufords Cardigan take care of business at home?

Topic #50958 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Feels like the season is over and if anything this is opening night next season but with less hype

Reply #913084 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

The FIBA break has definitely taken the momentum out of the season, agree with Manu that it feels like the season is already over. Regardless, this should be a super competitive series hopefully it goes to 5 games.

Reply #913085 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Sydney to win at home in game 1.

Reply #913086 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Hoping there is a decent crowd tonight, but it's terrible timing - Harry Styles concert on next door and zero parking available since tickets went on sale. Thankful it's not on tomorrow night instead though, with Styles, Backstreet Boys, and a K-Pop group all playing.

The break has sucked, but I think this will be a very competitive series that the Breakers are more than capable of taking. Looking forward to it.

Reply #913087 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Sydney Kings will own the game tonight. This is their turf, there will be their fans and Buford is jumping out of his skin. If he doesn't win this game, then the Breakers will take it all the way home.

Just take a look at the confidence Buford has exuded in his team players - DJ is so confident that he will be a speed hoot and Cookie just blasts away on another level. It carries over to the other players - Dalton, Noi, Soares, Bruce and Justin. If they don’t come out busting at the bell, I don’t think anything else will. This confidence is going to bury the Breakers in the first qtr.....I am no fan of Kings but I read it as it is.

1st qtr and match for the punters.

Reply #913088 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Sydney Kings will own the game tonight. This is their turf, there will be their fans and Buford is jumping out of his skin. If he doesn't win this game, then the Breakers will take it all the way home.

Just take a look at the confidence Buford has exuded in his team players - DJ is so confident that he will be a speed hoot and Cookie just blasts away on another level. It carries over to the other players - Dalton, Noi, Soares, Bruce and Justin. If they don’t come out busting at the bell, I don’t think anything else will. This confidence is going to bury the Breakers in the first qtr.....I am no fan of Kings but I read it as it is.

1st qtr and match for the punters.

Reply #913089 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Sorry for posting twice by accident

Reply #913090 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Agree with the above. The break has killed this series and now there's too many things to compete with. All for what?? Some easy beat opponents for Australia in WC qualifyers, playing with their C, D and E team, in games that have barely caught anyone's attention.

The Kings and Breakers have played 3 playoff games in what, 5 weeks??

I read somewhere that the crowd for G1 is expected to be around 10,000. That would be a miracle now. I hope the NBL is pissed off at FIBA.

Reply #913091 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Least interesting Grand Final since at least 2017.

For me, my lack of interest is more to do with that than the FIBA window.

I've already started turning my attention to the footy.

I'll probably watch, but not expecting a quality series like say, Sydney vs Cairns. I think Sydney win in 4 or less.

Even if NZ win though, they're a fairly uninspiring team

Reply #913092 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

And uninteresting

Reply #913093 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Nbl should have asked fiba for a pass and continued playing, no finals team players were used anyway.

As for tonight, who knows what the break did, both sides did start the season very well though. Hoping for a good crowd as the game deserves it.

Re the match, kings got to much fire power, Brantley struggled on Cooks last time and he's a key to breakers, don’t see that changing. WMW been fantastic but he’s on Walton jr so match up at best equal. Kings to big to strong to deep, win by 14.

Reply #913094 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Because pre-seasom footy is way more interesting than a grand final between the 2 best teams in the league. The much hated Kings and the return to prominence Breakers. Yep, I can see that.

It's 100% due to the FIBA break and that the only media covering this is from the NBL themselves.

Reply #913095 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Can't wait for this, a great grand final match-up with two high-level teams, which we haven't had the past couple of years due to injuries etc.

The break has worked well, both teams as fit as they can be and apparently over 10,000 tickets already sold for tonight, Sunday is sold out and the third game on track to be the Kings' biggest crowd of the season, which would mean 14-15K.

The whole momentum thing will be forgotten as soon as the ball is thrown up, can't wait to see how NZ deal with Cooks and Walton, and how Sydney deal with WMW and Brantley after they tore them a new one last time.

Reply #913096 | Report this post

101 annon  
Last year

This will be a great series. For me both starting 5s are pretty equal & it's going to come down to the benches. For me Sydney too strong in that department but if NZ play their game & if Sydney gets pushed out off the paint where they score their easy buckets NZ could win this
I can’t see Sydney loosing in a 5 game series, either 3/1 or 3/2

Reply #913097 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Rather go to the K-Pop concert... but hey thats just me.

Kings should take care of business at home, the break has really taken the wind out of the sails...

Reply #913101 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Calling Breakers by 7 in this one, taking the series in 4. Wasn't impressed by Kings form leading to this.

Reply #913106 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I was thinking this week, there's been very few upsets in NBL Grand Final history.

At least, in the last 20 years- Adelaide in the late 90's I think were underdogs and won premierships. Much like their AFL counterparts of the same era.

If NZ were to somehow get up, it would be a huge historical anomaly.

Unlike AFL where there's been lots of upsets- not huge upsets with a $1.33 favourite, but there's been plenty of $1.60ish favourites losing.

Examples- 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018.

The most unexpected GF in memory was probably 2019- the odds were around 50/50 and everybody expected a very competitive series. In the end, Perth won in 4, with games 3 and 4 both comprehensive wins.

But other than that, there's been very few results which have differed too far from expectations.

Reply #913107 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

*Actually 2018 the AFL odds may have been closer, I can't be certain.

But 2014, 2016 and 2017 I can remember with certainty the favourite was around $1.60 ish and lost.

Reply #913108 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

If the Breakers take Game 1 and 3 the Kings will forfeit the series.

Reply #913111 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I expect the Kings to win tonight but think NZB will win the series.

Reply #913120 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Thought Cairns showed how to deal with Cooks, if refs let them play then this will be a cracking series. Breaker's definitely the underdogs but as the saying goes every dog has their day. I’m looking forward to the DJ / Brown match up. It’s all Kings to lose.

Reply #913123 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

In stadium commentary with Casey franks joining.

Love that.

Don't love John Casey left out. :(

Reply #913124 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Thought Cairns showed how to deal with Cooks"

Everyone knows how to do it, it's consistently doing it that is the difficult part. The break means Cooks ankle is back to 100% now, I'm sure NZ would have loved to have rolled straight into the GF with him limping on it!

Reply #913125 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

Cooks getting bailed out every time...

Reply #913128 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

"If they're gonna call that, I don't know what you're supposed to do on defense"

Well said Gazey

As expected, Kings attacking the rim, refs calling everything. Kings will get a stack of free throws and win.

We've all seen this before. Too predictable.

Reply #913129 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Brown jr 2 fouls early

First one wasn't there

Second one was, but a fraction of a second after Hunter pushed him in the back

Too predictable

Reply #913130 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Cooks doing a good impression of being a bull dozer

Reply #913131 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Gaze's commentary is more biased to the kings than even the NZ commentators.

Reply #913132 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

A game of point guards, with WMW absolutely dominating. Excellent game. Cooks did flop, he was bent backwards before he took the bump. I'm amazed at this stage how good breakers have been, will they hang on when kings charge happens and refs try even it up.

Reply #913133 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Good ? dunkman Kings and the refs will come hard

Reply #913135 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

If the Breakers take Game 1 and 3 the Kings will forfeit the series.

Reply #913136 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Here comes the refs

Reply #913137 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Horrible call on Brantley

Reply #913138 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Great push by the refs to get themselves back in this one

Reply #913139 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Mody has a point

Reply #913140 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Oh my, I told ya, refs coming. WMW looking like the nba player at present.

Reply #913141 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

No Unsportsmanlike

Reply #913142 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

For all the smoke Gaze and Santa are blowing up the King's backside, they're still down by 6 at 3/4 time.

Reply #913144 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

DJ embracing marking WMW or should I say hugging him.

Reply #913145 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I read somewhere that the crowd for G1 is expected to be around 10,000. That would be a miracle now.
Attendance is over 13,000.

Reply #913146 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Gaze needs to take off his Sydney tinted glasses

Reply #913147 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Cooks with an absolute 'mare

Reply #913149 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Huge three.

Go you Breakers, Australia's team.

Reply #913150 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Is it just me or is Cooks half mentally checked out of the game? Seems to be pouting and moping somewhat but not drawing attention to himself. In fact I am having to look for him to ensure he's still in the game.

Not a good look.

Reply #913151 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Ah, injured

Reply #913152 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Any further details on the injury?

Reply #913153 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

Great win. Sydney such an easy team to hate.

Reply #913154 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Great fans leaving early. The hoops capital!!!!!

Reply #913155 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Australia's Team does it.

Let's get this in three.

Reply #913156 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Butttt I thought kings had the best depth

Reply #913157 | Report this post

CT  
Last year

At least the handful of Illawarra fans who show up every week make some noise and stay to the end. Pathetic scenes from Sydney fans at the end there

Reply #913158 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

How's this for ad placement:

Reply #913159 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Brilliant performance from the Breakers. Disappointing performance from Buford who had plenty of time to make adjustments from the last meeting and didn't appear to have changed much.

I think this is one of the more fascinating GFs for a while and it is certainly alive now!

Reply #913160 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

To be fair to kings fans, harry styles is playing next door a there is at least 50000 trying to get out all at same time. Let me tell you they got two hours in traffic to go a klm, the train is also useless.

Congratulations to breakers, hopefully the refs who were reasonably good today, though did seem to lean Sydney way slightly do the leaning the breakers way in nz.

Kings are deep, their rotations were poor. WMW and Brantley were great in a very good team performance. Has the Cooks nba talk gone too early, going to be a lot more size in nba than he struggled on today. Walton jr and Simons dug deep, Hunter certainly chipped in but rest were ineffectual. Vasilavic has fallen off a cliff.

Reply #913161 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Massive game by Breakers.

WMW huge.

Although Walton's cramp came at a very helpful time. Momentum shifted back immediately after.

How many away teams have won Game 1 GF? Feels like it never happens.

(And 2020 doesn't count- no crowd)

Reply #913162 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Chase got out coached, Mody has some tricks under his sleeve!

Towards the end of the 2nd quarter there was a kinda half court token press just to take seconds off the shot clock and slow the kings down but the kings ended up turning it over.

Mody adjusted and remained composed through out, well played sir.

WMW beast game, if he stays in oz he's the next Aussie to enter the MVP talks over the next few years, he’s the John Stockton of the NBL, I’d say he’s overtaken Sobey in the Boomers pecking order!

NZ roster built almost perfectly, can play big or small, WMW always gets them through their offence, multiple elite defenders, and an elite finisher who wasn’t elite tonight. Kings just rely on talent and most of the time it’s enough, but not tonight and now their season is on ice!

Reply #913163 | Report this post

Haydos  
Last year

No crowd in 2020 GF game 1?

I must have imagined 11,647 people that turned up.

Reply #913164 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Oh was there?

Ok. How many other times?

Reply #913165 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Coming out party for WMW 19/9/9 in the opening game of the GF series on the road.

He's going to be getting Mitch McCarron level money next season!

Reply #913166 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Game 1 of 2020 GF was a near sell out.

Reply #913167 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Oh was there?

Ok. How many other times?
Everything started to shut down a few hours before game two. Game one was played as normal.

North Melbourne won on the road in game one in 1995, but went on to lose the series.

It used to be A-H-H, so there's probably a few examples from that era with the far stronger team getting a win. Perth in 1991 went to Melbourne and beat Eastside by 26 in game one. Adelaide knocked off Brisbane in game one in 1986, Brisbane beat Perth in game one in 87.

Reply #913168 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

WMW going to get lot more than Mccaron money, even if Mccaron is overpaid, some big euro teams will be salivating at the mouth. I've been impressed all season. A point guard that scores, passes, plays defence all in control.

Reply #913170 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

WMW deserves what ever comes his way, absolute stud.
Pretty stoked with that effort, just got to back it up on Sunday here in NZ.

Reply #913171 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

WMW was great, and is a fantastic player, but that also highlights how poor Sydney's coaching staff were in the preparation. They knew what was coming after the last game against NZ and changed little.

In contrast, Tassie adjusted after game one of the SFs and WMW wasn't a big factor after that. Huge test for Buford et al to do likewise in the next day or they're probably coming back 0-2.

Reply #913173 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

No Walton Jr late was quite a factor in the Breakers W. The amount of cramp that was going on was Surry an aberration.

Have to rate Brantley's defence on Cooks. Mody will need to make some rotational changes for G2 - Abercrombie as the backup 4 to take Cooks (Vodanovich was too slow on defensive rotations) and consider starting Le’afa to not let DJ get into rhythm.

Considering Brantley and Brown Jr didn’t shoot great in G1 (including some missed open layups), I’m intrigued about the room for improvement for G2.

Reply #913176 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

If WMW stays in the NBL next season he will stay with the Breakers. I think there's a 50/50 chance he stays in the league to develop more under Maor before he goes to Euroleague.

I was surprised how dominant the Breakers were given they didn’t shoot well in the second half and the home court advantage on refereeing that Sydney had. Worrying signs for Buford and Co, it looks like they turned up thinking they have the Breakers, and couldn’t make the right adjustments.

Reply #913182 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Where ever WMW plays he's getting a big pay rise, if nbl it’ll be as a marquee.

I don’t believe the kings thought they were over the line, it’s Buford doesn’t worry to much about opposition, kings just run what they think is working for them. Maor works out a game plan both defensively and offensively to suit the opposition. Kings have so much talent but the last part season has been not good due to coaches putting in plans to stifle them and kings haven’t adjusted.

Reply #913183 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

What's the status of Walton and Cooks injury ,
Will both play tomorrows cruicial game ?

Reply #913184 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

They'll play until the wheels fall off

Reply #913185 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

NZB and SYD are both at even money now to win the title.

Loving the parity.

Reply #913192 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

I hate to be that guy, but WMW averaged 10/6/5 on below-average shooting splits... He was a standout in game 1, but let's see the series play out before declaring him a future marquee player.

Everything about the Kings makes me want to root against them, but Moir is insufferable and has been since he joined the Breaker as an AC. Luckily for the Breakers he appears to be a capable coach despite his antics. I don't expect the Kings to go down without taking a game or two at least, but I wonder if Buford will be shown up this series.

Thankfully the basketball in game 1 was high quality, otherwise I wouldn't be interested. The antics from a number of coaches, players and others (Paul Smith, Homocide etc) really detract from the product for my liking.

Reply #913194 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Moir is insufferable compared to whom? Buford? OMG

Reply #913200 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Agree Sebastian. Moir is a gentleman compared to Buford. Press conference highlighted difference between the two. One making excuses...we played like shit.. they pushed us around.. players are carrying injuries. Against ..they are a very good side…no one is injured the players are tough… they are very good side…

Reply #913201 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

Where did I say that, Sebastian? My point is that both coaches act like complete tools on the sideline. Buford certainly has a well-documented track record of poor behavior, but Maor carried on far worse in game 1 and I can't get over his antics as an AC from previous seasons which would've been comical if it wasn't a distraction to his team.

The quality of basketball is just making up for all the BS that comes from clowns like these.

Reply #913203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754