Sack Phil or the team?

Topic #10197 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Pathetic thread, and original pffft.

Reply #116708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were piss weak, could say many more things but not going to waste my time.

Reply #116709 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

MW, they were utterly pathetic!
Disgraceful, couldn't get past the halfway line. Sixers got double teamed everywhere and found no answers. Phil, take some timeouts!

Cooper-Unbelievable! He is the new land lord.
Sutton-Shining Light. Great work, keep on going!

Reply #116712 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Great work on the blocked shots from Cooper - Terrible on everything else. He touches the ball too much in the offense. Give him a Manute type role of defense only and I reckon he would help the team more.

Sutton was ok, but for a true point guard he didnt handle the press well at all. I guess he is still young at least.

Reply #116716 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Kwest you obviously couldnt see the game, Sutton is a rookie and played bloody well for the pressure he was under.
There is a pretty obvious reason the sixers had so many turn overs, the 3000 people booing the umpires for not noticing the obvious fouls that constantly occured, except for the 4th after Adelaide we so broken by bad calls that they had nothing left to play for.

Reply #116720 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Ohh come on! You cannot blame fouls for us not handling the press.

And btw I was at the game and saw all of it unfortunately.

I said Sutton is young, and I dont necesarily blame him - but I wouldnt have called him a shining light.

Reply #116721 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I was not saying they were not awful, just sick of the same thread being started every day

Reply #116723 | Report this post

benji  
Years ago

skudpud you are right it was the that fact that the players were broken by "fouls" not called by the refs. The problem was that most of the time the fouls weren't there that they wanted called.

It is skill that should have been learnt in U10s play the ball and not the ref. If the 36ers spent half as much time concentrating on the game than they do on the refs they would be a good team.

Reply #116729 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

If I am wrong, then you should tell the other 3000 people I heard booing at the bad calls.
Did you not notice how the 4th quarter they started calling the fouls, the turn overs dried up, half the brisbane team was in foul trouble.

There were some turnovers that just shouldnt have happened, NG loosing the ball twice was frickin pathetic, and yeh we didnt play well after half time. But come on, if you think that was a well called game then you should become a ref, you'll get a game here by making shit calls

Reply #116734 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Sutton handled the ball under pressure far better than Ng, Copeland, Timmons or even Maher.

Reply #116736 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol skudpud blaming the refs for a 32 point loss?? Come on thats laughable. Brisbane also got some bad calls which pretty much evened it all up. I didn't think the refs were that bad and made no difference in this game we were always going to get killed and should be happy we only lost by 32. Also the reason why 3000 fans where going off at the refs was because they were frustrated that their team was getting killed and as a result wanted any 50 50 call to go our way.

Reply #116740 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

He handled the ball ok - but what happened when he tried to pass during the press? I saw at least 2 balls head out to orbit. But youre right - he handled the press better than most of the team - which isnt saying much.

Reply #116741 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

games like tonight show us that we have never been able to replace mark bradtke or mark davis after they left, even a mark davis near the end of his career would of still dominated for us.
is it time to do a mark williams and just play the kids for as long as possible to give them a chance to learn and adjust the games with game presure.

Reply #116746 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

According to the boxscore Darren NG credited for 0 turnovers! Interesting.

Reply #116747 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

I dont think I remember Ng getting any turnovers. Copeland and Sutton got a couple of shockers, as did AM.

Reply #116748 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

sutton did every thing to break the press tonight he passed through it and broke it in the first half, he even ran through it in the first half and each time got subbed off. now u tell me what he did wrong to get dragged. in the second half he was looking to pass off but the guys on the second and even third line of the press break (if their was one) where lazy and didn't move to the open spots, so it caused him some turn overs. dont hate the player hate the game !!!!

Reply #116752 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Hey, theres no hate towards Sutton from this camp. Im just being honest and calling it as I saw it.

Reply #116753 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

I dont think I remember Ng getting any turnovers. Copeland and Sutton got a couple of shockers, as did AM.

By Kwest

In the second half he was bring the ball down, lost it( he was all alone) it was retrieved by another sixer, passed back to Ng, he lost it again( the payer within 4ft of he may have had an impact). That was twice in 1 play, all simple ball andling errors under absolutely no pressure.

I am not saying we lost because of the refs, but their calls are so shit every game that we are loosing by larger margins than we should.
Yeh we woulda lost tonights game, but no way were we 32 points out of it. I can put atleast 15 points on the board for Brisbane from BAD calls, not 50/50 calls, just blatently BAD calls.

Reply #116763 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KingJames, who in the hell are you to assume what it was that made 3,000 people go off at the refs? I happen to be one of those 3,000 people and you certainly didn't read my head right. Skudpud is putting up with the same shit I did a few weeks back complaining about the ref's calls when the Sixer's loss was largely contributed to by the poor foul shooting. No one is saying that the refs lost the game for them, they are just saying that the calls and/or lack of are just pathetic and very much one sided. I made a special point tonight of observing a lot of fouls not called against the Bullets that should have. I had to stop because it was driving me crazy. I couldn't believe the absolute crap I was witnessing. Yes the Sixers were meant to lose tonights game because they played crap, but the result did not have to be as bad as that. When I see a master at the game like Brett Maher getting absolutely frustrated, I know there is something wrong with the refs.

Reply #116765 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

His frustration couldnt have anything to do with being flogged by 30 on his home court?

Reply #116766 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

Actually Kwest when he was frutrated they were down by 4 points, 3 ref calls later they were down by 12, it continued from there.

Reply #116770 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thank you Skudpud, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Reply #116771 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

It is such an overdone thing to point fingers at refs after a loss. To be honest, its quite lame and naive.

No team is disadvantaged more than any other team when it comes to umpires. Some days they will seem to be for you (the days most fans hardly notice), and somedays they will seem against you.

Whats the point of bitching and moaning about them? Especially in a game where we actually were 30 points worse than the opposition, regardless of umpiring decisions.

Reply #116772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when you dont practice hard often enough, and you are not organised nor play with discipline what else can yo expect. If the owner wants a return on his investment he will make major changes to his team, coaches, and how they are managed both on and off the court

Reply #116773 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kwest, its called pride. No one has the right to take that away from you. There's far less pride in losing by 30 than there is in losing by 20. If the Sixers lost by 20, I would have said it was a good result considering the opposition. It may not be important to you to be treated fairly, but it is to me and I am sure many others. The Sixers this season are a far less superior team than the Bullets. The Bullets have won the last 14 in a row, we have lost the last 5 in a row. That alone tells you the odds of winning tonight was not great. Added to that, Farley was out. Taking all that into consideration, the Sixers had no right to win the game tonight, but they had every right to be treated fairly. They clearly were not.

Reply #116775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone blameing the refs tonight simply doesnt understand the game

Reply #116778 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

So you are saying the umpires were deliberately treating Adelaide unfairly for whatever reason?

To expect the umpires to be perfectly balanced in their calls for every game that every team plays is crazy. Of course decisions will go up and down from game to game. They are human.

If you are suggesting that they were deliberately sabotaging Adelaide's chances - then check out gaiaguys.net, it could be right down your ally.

Reply #116779 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

No I don't think they were deliberately treating Adelaide unfairly, they just had their eyes on Adelaide all the time. They were barely looking at Brisbane because if they were, they wouldn't have missed so much. How do you miss 3 steps without a single dribble. Not 1 but 3. I counted atleast 10 incidences of Adelaide players being pushed in the back that were not called (oops, that must have been deliberate because if they were only looking at Adelaide, they would have seen them being pushed). That's when I decided to stop observing because by this stage, my blood was boiling.

Reply #116784 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

EC, you see the Suns-Bucks results today? Suns 98-90. What does that have to do the 36ers? Phoenix had a 15 game win streak leading into the game, and the Bucks on a 5 game losing streak and were without Redd, Williams, Simmons and only just got back Villanueva.

So pretty much the equivalent of tonight's game. Now, don't tell me that the Bucks wouldn't get f***ed by the refs as much as the 36ers did (according to some). Yet they still managed to get close.

It's not even worth mentioning the refs after a performance like tonights. 6ers couldn't get the ball up the court, then if they did, they played ugly offense.

BTW, from what I could see, Maher was mainly pissed because everybody was stuffing up, you could see him yelling at guys after they turned the ball over, telling them where they should be and what they should do.

Reply #116788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seemed a couple of minutes into the game that the refs were going to call it pretty loosely. Didn't notice any real problems with the refs - the big issues were Adelaide struggling to deal with the press, and giving up rebounds to anyone who wanted them more. Oh, and going for 57% from the free throw line.

Reply #116791 | Report this post

seanboy  
Years ago

What is up with playing "Hit the road Jack" when Dusty fouled out when we were down by 30?

Reply #116793 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

At that late stage of the game and after his performance, I would have walked away quite proudly.

Reply #116797 | Report this post

seanboy  
Years ago

I agree,I just think whoever is in charge of the music has got no real idea as to what is happening in the game,I mean why would Dusty care that they are playing "Hit the road Jack" when he has just scored 31 points on us in less than 30 minutes?

Reply #116799 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

It's not a turnover until the team loses the ball

Reply #116804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with no willy would have thought masj might get more court time he seemed to be able to score last night

Reply #116806 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Isaac hit the hot number there: 57% from the foul line. How does the refs calling more fouls there help us if that is how we are going to shoot from the line? You might find that if more fouls had've been called we would have lost by MORE.

Stop looking for excuses: Adelaide is sh*thouse! The last three games now have to be about nothing but finding out if some of the younger guys can play at this level. Why the hell wasn't Burdon on the last 6 minutes? It might be a tough ask to go up against their press but Jesus, at nearly 40 points down what does it matter? And so help me god if Wheeler or Nash is in a 36ers jersey next season!

Congratulations to Adrian Majstrovich for showing some heart, some balls, and some fight. Again I look at the boxscore and Horvath has shot 8-12, so once more HE DOESN'T GET ENOUGH SHOTS!

There is no way that Phil Smyth should survive this season with his job intact, there is just simply no way. The last three games pretty much sum up our season, and he doesn't get to blame Farley for that. The defence has gotten WORSE without Farley, only now we can't score either!

Reply #116809 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

5044 thats the offical crowd number

Reply #116814 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Adelaide couldn't get the ball past halfway. I blame Smyth. Adelaide's tactics was either pass it to the defence or pass it to the crowd.

Brisbane double teamed the Sixers and Adelaide couldn't take it and had several turnovers in the Bullets half. Smyth should have changed his tactics.

I have said it time and time again, Darren Ng cannot bring the ball up. Yes, he did handle the ball better last night but he still made a few mistakes (Every Sixer player did it, Even Sutton!)

Reply #116818 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

seanboy - tradition. If someone fouls out and he doesn't play the track, people wonder why not. Sure, it's a bit awkward to play anything (including on court) when you're getting thrashed, but the game goes on.

Question is, will they beat Singapore?

Reply #116819 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I bloody well hope so. If the Sixers beat the Dragons and Slingers then they could actually make the finals. Weird i know. 60% of your games and still deserve a playoffs spot. I don't think so.

Singapore are on fire so the Sixers better play well. Atleast bring the ball past halfway.

Reply #116821 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So what if they do. Will it change the outcome of the whole season? The season could come to an end right now for what is left to look forward to. Dedicated fans or not, they deserve much better than the product they have been sold this season. I can't wait to see a completely new team next season as there are very few players right now I would keep. Let's face it, it doesn't matter how dedicated a fan you are, it hasn't been much fun this season to attend games. And yes, I have not missed a single one.

Reply #116822 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I liked the Tigers game. But yes, EC you are 100% correct.

Reply #116823 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Excellent point EC. All this talk about dedicated fans, well I wonder what that really means in some people's eyes? Perhaps blindly supporting everything a team does, whether it be right or wrong? Or not listening to any criticism?
Well this season has been embarrassing at very least and unless there are some major changes, both in coaching and playing staff, there will be fewer and fewer in attendance at home games and fewer sponsors - do not ever forget sponsors, and they deserve far more that the crock of garbage that has been presented as a basketball team this year.
This team is the worst in the NBL and I wish Mal all the luck in the world in trying to right this fast sinking ship for next season.

Reply #116825 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

a 32 point beating last night and we blame the refs,imagine if the bullets had kept their foot on the pedal right to the end,i think we would have been looking at closer to a spanking in the mid 40's,refs may not help but from what im reading here we get a couple of bad calls in a row and we give up.we were beaten by the team that will probably win the title this year.all we saw last night was the gap between 1st and 10th

Reply #116835 | Report this post

billups 1  
Years ago

This is in respons to Mutley about if we will have Wheeler and Nash next season, well i do believe that our "marquee" player Nash is the only player actually signed up for next year so that is something all us fans can look forward to seeing next season. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #116838 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Billups1, I know Nash is contracted, but that doesn't mean he ever has to step foot on the Dome court again. Pay him out, cut him, move on. But unfortunately, while Smyth is still there, that won't happen.

Imagine giving that clown a two year deal to start with? I mean just frigging think about that for a moment. We've let so many young, useful, emerging stars get away from us but yet we've stitched up Mark F Nash for this season and next.

And yes, he's the only contracted player (what about Brad Hill?) for next season. So, by show of hands, how many people will be renewing their season tickets at this point, given that Nash is the only certainty?

Reply #116842 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Oh, and one more thing about Nash. If you want to have a laugh, how long do you think it has been since he last hit a three pointer in a game at the Dome? Baring in mind he is taking threes every game and because he can't shoot, they are always WIDE open. How long has it been: November 4, 2006.

And he gets paid to do this.

Reply #116844 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i am waiting to see what mal does with the team in the off season before passing comment. if he does nothing then the sale was a waste of time!!!
heard of a few plans happening with the stadium and a few rumors about the team as well but i will wait to see the final product for next season first.

Reply #116858 | Report this post

skudpud  
Years ago

If you have read my comments on the refs then you would know I am not blaming the loss on them, to say I was shows your an idiot that should be disregarded.
I goto every game with a large group of friends, All of us and the people around us, 1 who I believe has been coaching for 25 odd years at some level, are fed up with the Adelaide Refs. The game after Brad Hill's arm was broken we had different referee's bought in, and we got to see some consistant calls.

Right now Adelaide is better playing away games to get an evenly called game, playing here is just a waste of time.

I dont blame the refs for anything this season, but If you watch the players attitudes EVEN WEHN WE ARE WINNING, they are constantly getting frustrated and demotivated by bad calls.
I think the refs here are trying so hard not to bias Adelaide that they are doing the exact opposite. We need to return to changing the referees up around the country. Every other legitimate sport does this.
I dont care if we loose, I enjoy the game's anyway but bad calls have been happening all year and I and alot of poeple are sick of it. There are going to be bad calls in every game, but here in Adelaide we would probaly do better bringing in soe 15yr old off the street and telling them that if someone hits someone, its a foul

Reply #116863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skudpud, at what other venues are you and your group watching games to make that judgement?

Players are dropping their heads because they can't break a press, not because the refs are making dodgy calls.

Reply #116866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skudpud you are the idiot. If you knew anything you would understand we get interstate refs all the time in Adelaide. From memory we always have had at least 1 interstate based referee and on a lot of occasions this season we've had 2; just as we did last night.

Reply #116868 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Refs didn't cost us the game, although they were questionable at times do we really think about 5 more fouls called would've made a 32 point difference?

Heads up to Brisbane they are a bloody good team and were professional about it all night, they didn't look arrogant and they didn't let the fans get to them especially Dusty and Black who copped it a bit. Brisbane are a far better team and deserved the win, good on them.

Reply #116869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's worth looking back through Brisbane's results recently - there are a lot of big 20-40 point wins at home and on the road. That's what happens when you ignore the cap.

Reply #116870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get over it skudpud, there will always be someone unhappy with the refs.

Reply #116875 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

the only bad call for the night in my opion was the tech.the reason being was after brett threw the ball the ref stopped looked at the bullets bench then about 5 seconds after that called the tech. brett was already past the half way line before it was called.
all the other calls are just part of the game good ar bad they all even themselves out in the end, trust me under the hoop we got away with a few as well.

Reply #116877 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i dont want to get involved with the salary cap with brisbane as its been spoken about in length on here

but there bench is as good as other sides starting 5, and there would be at least 4 players commanding MAX salary atleast

Reply #116883 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

btw , im not using that as and excuse for the loss we were just nothing short of pathetic

Reply #116884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe everyone should stop bagging Nash. If Brett walks at the end of the Season Nash might get the gig as captain& Something to ponder.

Reply #116885 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Captain Joke!

Reply #116888 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

fess, you said all we saw last night was the gap between 1st and 10th. Was that the gap on the ladder or the gap in salary?

Reply #116893 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

52-Cans, would you like to have a laugh. You are absolutely right that Dusty didn't allow the crowd to get to him. I asked him after the game how it was that he could bring such a great game with him to Adelaide. He said it was all the booze that did it. In shock I said, who in the hell would be feeding you booze before a game. He said boos not booze.

Reply #116894 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

im with squid on this one that would be captain joke

Reply #116896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He could come running out at the start of each game with a red cape complete with blue Lyrca suit and red undies and a big J on his chest. Captain Joke might be a suitable replacement for the dearly departed Sam Dunk.

Reply #116897 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I am starting to have nightmares fellas. Please stop.

Reply #116898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe one `CJ' in the NBL in enough.

Reply #116899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oops. One CJ IS enough. Poor typing.

Reply #116900 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i suggest that after a performance like that the players should be like a priest after church and greet them(the spectators) on the way out and apoligise.

Reply #116906 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Booga, some of them do. 3 players and usually 1 coach after each game go upstairs to be interviewed and give their views on the game they just played. I didn't stop to listen to them last night but after a game like that, it takes a lot of courage to front up to the fans. That is one good thing that went in their favour last night.

Reply #116910 | Report this post

certainly not the best way to atrract sponsors or fans for next year with soft performances
brisbane are very good no 2 ways about that but gee surely we are better than that tell me i am wrong we are better than that

Reply #116912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754