Hooper
Last month

Article about Sixers signing Rigoni

The NBL pushed out a story today about the Sixers potentially signing Rigoni, my question is why?

What gap in the roster does this fill at the NBL level? If rumours are true about Starling already re-signing, why would any more roster spots be wasted on that position? The glaring hole for the Sixers is the backup big spot, not the undersized 4 spot.

Are they taking the "let's get locals" thing too seriously, and forgetting they just raised the tickets by double digits, and actually need to make the finals for once?

Jacob seems effective at the NBL1 level, what would his role be at the NBL level though?

Thoughts?

Topic #51962 | Report this topic

Sebastian  
Last month

It's a signing to appease the masses who want local content on the 36ers roster.

Reply #941051 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Cost cutting savings so they can bring in two very good imports on big money to go with DJV and Humphries.

Reply #941053 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last month

I get the local thing, but isn't Marshall and Mayen both locals? The cost cutting thing i can’t agree on, as there are much better players at minimum wage on the free agent list still. It’s a strange one for me.

Reply #941054 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Could be the next Rupert Sapwell? Like Lat Mayen, he does fill an area of need for the team with outside shooting.

From what I've seen of him, he doesn't really have the athleticism or ball-handling to play as a three, so I would think strictly a four at NBL level?

If Starling is going to be signed as rumoured above, that suggests that Lat will play mostly as a three?

So maybe Rigoni would backup Starling at the four?

Import/ Cadee
DJV/ Marshall
Mayen/ Dech
Starling/ Rigoni
Humphries/

Looking at the depth chart, you have to have an import point guard and you need an import starter at either the 3 or 4. I'd be more inclined to start Mayen than Starling. So maybe the second import would be a 4, or perhaps a 4 who can play some small ball 5 as well?

If they could afford to sign Gary Clark, you'd start him at the 4 and use him at the 5 against some opponents that are exploiting Humphries lack of mobility defensively (see JJs and Hawks). Starling and Rigoni could then plug in around Humphries and Clark, depending on whether the team needs a stretch 4 or a defensive disruptor like Starling.

Reply #941056 | Report this post

Massive  
Last month

Wait till imports are signed to see if it's a good decision. Probably just pieces being put around what’s about to come after summer league. Rigoni is going strong in nbl1 central and nobody will work touch harder than him to make it work.

Reply #941058 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last month

In reality, if there was an injury and Rigoni had to play, is he good enough, athletic enough and big enough to play the 4 in the NBL? It's pro basketball, get the best available always.

Reply #941060 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

How do you think Starling and Rigoni are going to go against the likes of Cooks and McVeigh in the four spot. Even Mayern defensively isn't going to cut it. No point spending all that money on two marquee Australians for no gain.

Reply #941061 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Hooper local SA fans don't think beat available. They cry for SA locals on the bench, quality is irrelevant

Reply #941062 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Rigoni will be 11th man and you may as well go a cheap young local at that spot.

Could also get a next star - may as well if paid for by the league and no minutes promised.

If 3 imports Rigoni and Starling sign could see this
Gun import PG/Cadee
Vasiljevic/Dech
Mayen/Marshall/Rigoni
Good import (Clark, Hogg, Franks type player)/Starling
Humphries/Budget import C

Mayen, Dech, Marshall and Cadee could all get minutes and whoever performs can be a 5th starter.

Reply #941063 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last month

Basket91, there's no such consideration as "might as well" when it comes to high level sport! Get best available, or you’ll regret it against deep teams throughout the season. What silk defeatist attitude it would be to say, “might as well”. This is a great league, and that devalues the level.

Reply #941065 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Dunkman if you are talking to me, I'm not advocating for Starling or Rigoni to get big minutes. Just trying to piece together what the Sixers might be doing. Rigoni could be ok as a cheap end of bench guy. Noone is expecting him to matchup v Cooks or McVeigh.

It comes down to the imports anyway. If they could sign a Gary Clark type then he and Humphries would play the bulk of the minutes with Starling, Mayen, Rigoni being plugged in as needed.

Reply #941066 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Basket 91 - "Clark, Hogg, Franks" all would command top dollar in the NBL, if not completely priced out of the NBL.

Don't think it would be realistic to except Sixers management to get an All-NBL level PG AND another import of the quality you listed, with big money already wrapped up in DJV and Humphries.

Reply #941068 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last month

isn't rigoni a 3 but also why would you bring back starling adl fans want dj over starling i assume

Reply #941069 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

From my point of view it would be a nice story for Daniel Johnson to come back and finish his career as a backup centre in Adelaide for the next couple of years. But it doesn't seem likely to happen at the moment.

I'd like to see Starling on the team though. I think he can play a useful role as a disruptive, mobile defender.

Reply #941070 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last month

Confident there will be something at the 4 spot

Import / Cadee
DJV/ Dech
Marshall/ Lat
/ Starling / Rigoni
Humphries / Perhaps Marcus Lee

Tipping the season starts with 2 imports allowing for waived NBA guys to join in season if the play for the local at the 4 doesn't come off

Will be worth the gamble to get the Aussie on the radar.

Reply #941071 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Interesting if its an Aussie 4! Motum and Nick Kay both spring to mind. Who else is out there?

Reply #941072 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last month

Great to see Adelaide fans understand roster planning for the future. SMH. Look what Sydney just did with their "might as well" spots. Three year deals for young good players.

Reply #941073 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

It's Adelaide, they are all stuck in the hyperbole of the good old glory days and change is discouraged. They still refuse to expand their district competition beyond 10 clubs. But anywho

Reply #941074 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Kay would be ideal, still contracted in Japan and would be a marquee if Sixers could match the dollars. It is a spot that needs a blue collar guy in Sixers roster, certainly defensively and rebounding.

Reply #941075 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Similar to Cooks in Sydney, White in Melbourne, it's been reported that if Kay comes back to the NBL it'll only be with Perth. He lives there in the off-season, partner is from there. No chance he would go to Adelaide.

He is also contracted for another year in Japan so won't be coming back for NBL25.

Reply #941077 | Report this post

Tornado  
Last month

Rigoni reminds me of McVeigh when he first came to the 36ers. Just need to see how he develops, but has the potential.

How would people rate the 36ers if they had the below team:

Walton / Cadee
DJV / Dech
Marshall / Lat
Motum / Starling / Rigoni
Humphries / Marcus Lee

Reply #941093 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I really like Humphries but he needs help defensively, Motum isn't doing that, he’s making it worse, plus he been playing the five spot in Japan. Motum is a scorer, never been great defensively. Walton would be great, I think it’s dream world stuff though unless the check book gets opened up other country payment levels. .

Reply #941095 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

That team is not bad Tornado. I'd just worry about how the Sixers would go defensively with Humphries and Motum out there together. Maybe if you had a healthy Lee and Starling to mix and match you’d get away with it, but I don’t really like spending big bucks on a player who may not be able to stay on the floor in crunch time. I’d much prefer a Gary Clark or perhaps Brantley type at the 4.

Reply #941096 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Last month

What's this about rising tickets in OP? I haven’t received anything from the club?

Reply #941098 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last month

So looks like we are heading down the path of 3 or 4 NBL quality players and fill the rest with local NBL1 standouts...……..all for the sake of having local content. The supporters want a quality team, not a glorified NBL 1 team..

I have never heard praise coming from any direction for a team that consistently misses out on finals, stating "oh well, no finals again, but look at the local content!!.

Reply #941116 | Report this post

NP  
Last month

Understand it's the 36ers and anything is possible.
But the consensus from reports is a
Import PG. Also reports after Cleveland or Simon so a SF. And the club has said it needs a different 4 next to Humphries. Doesn’t say if that’s a local or import.
Assume all those 3 players will be starters.

Reply #941117 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last month

The article today and olgun have confirmed they are after 3 imports

The team will be

Humphries/starling
Import/mayen
Import/Marshall/rigoni
Vasiljevic/dech
Import/cadee

Reply #941124 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last month

Spinner looks like you couldn't be anymore wrong

Reply #941127 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Probably need that import 4 to be more of a 4/5. Next Star 5 could also be an option.

Reply #941131 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Yeah import 4/5 is what is needed. Someone who can play as a small ball centre if Humphries is getting exploited defensively. What's the max roster size? 12?

Reply #941133 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last month

Yea Agreed I'd like to see a Cam Oliver type import PF/C, a Cleveland/Justin Simon type SF, Walton type PG as the imports

Reply #941134 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Sixers should get a next star.

A back up 5 would be handy.

Reply #941135 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Man that front court is rough, Starling at 5 won't work and neither will Mayen at 4

Reply #941140 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I suppose if you are having two marquee players and three imports the rest of the roster will have to be budget type players, but yes that front court is very undermanned.

Reply #941141 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last week

Yea Agreed re the front court looking a bit small,

That's why I hope they get a import PF/C like a John Mooney or Cam Oliver type

Then the rotations are not too bad as long as the import big and Humphries largely stay healthy and out of foul trouble

You could go for rotations like

C Humphries 25/Import PF/C 15
PF Import Pf/C 15/Starling 15/Mayen 10
SF Import SF 30/Marshall 10
SG Vasiljevic 30/Dech 10
PG Import PG 30/Cadee 10

If you can add a next star big who can play atleast 10 mins a game even better

I'd also be looking at the best young big I can get in a DP spot, who can potentially play some minutes as DP a bit like Peatling did in his first year at Melbourne.

Reply #941142 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last week

@SixersFan - I honestly hope that I am wrong!

Reply #941157 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

Matt Weston video says that the 36ers will only by playing 8 of the roster so dont get hung up on Rigoni and Starling and so on signings. Getting those guys on minimum deals opens up upgrades on the import quality.

Assuming the PG will be world class the 36ers guard rotation is one of the best in the league.

Import 3 and import / aussie 4 will set the tone from here. Lat and Marshall are fine off the bench in those spots.

Humphries is as good as any 5 man in the league. Back up big may be an issue if he gets injured.

Reply #941159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 pm, Wed 8 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754