Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Former model/cheerleader now NBA scout

There's an interesting profile on someone called Bonnie-Jill Laflin on SI.com.

She's a former cheerleader and model who's apparently the first female NBA scout, and is also an assistant GM with an NBDL team.

Snippets from her resume:

She cheered for both the 49ers and Dallas Cowboys, owns a Super Bowl ring and multiple NBA championship rings, was hired as a female scout by an NBA team and become the assistant general manger of that team's developmental team.

In between all that, Laflin founded Double Play Sportswear, a women's clothing line, worked for ESPN, had reoccurring roles on Ally McBeal and Baywatch and did photo shoots for Playboy, Stuff and FHM.

Two questions: what sort of first name is Bonnie-Jill, and why, oh why won't my network administrator allow her personal site through the work firewall?

Topic #10795 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Bo, sorry about the work firewall, but she is pretty decent - you're missing out. My new favourite NBA scout.

Reply #125128 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I LOVE the fact that I manage my work's firewall.

SCHWING!!!!!

Reply #125131 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bo, to answer your question...
Bonnie-Jill

Bonnie: Means "pretty" from the Scottish word bonnie, which was itself derived from Middle French bon "good".

Jill: Short for Gillian, English feminine word for Julian: This was the name of the last pagan Roman emperor, Julian the Apostate (4th century). It was also borne by several early saints. In medieval England this was also a feminine name.

Hope this helps, sorry about the firewall....

Reply #125132 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Luckily, I can set the Safesearch setting to "off" on Google image search, so I've got a fair idea of her previous pictorial work. Commendable.

DB5 - I don't have a problem with the name Bonnie, or Jill, but thanks for your research. I think I was questioning the hyphenating the two together more than anything.

I mean, conceivably her parents could give her another hyphenated name for her middle name, eg Bonnie-Jill Bitsy-Sue or some such. Where does the madness stop?

My other (printable) thought on this topic is: how cool would it be if current cheerleaders could double as scouts?

So you'd have a timeout, they'd come out, do their routine, and then go and sit back down and start jotting down notes like: "Nowitzki: always pulls up for one-dribble jumper going left. Prefers operating at top of keyway - try to force him to receive ball at foul-line or below. Defensively, still poor: very slow laterally, and has bugger-all clue about helping from weakside" etc.

Reply #125135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Shaq: possesses dancing talent; may be of some use to team choreographer - follow up after training on Tues."

Reply #125137 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

"Nash: why did he cut his hair? Much cuter with than without. There's something about the way he can penetrate at will, too."

Reply #125138 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I know mate, was bored at work though.....

Reply #125140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RAAAAOOOOW!

Reply #125142 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Note to self.....Stay the F#$K AWAY from Kobe"

Reply #125150 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The decision has been made. If I find her, I'm going to ask her to marry me.

And I'll keep asking until the restraining order is executed

Reply #125196 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Speaking from experience there, lockstock?

Reply #125201 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Hubba Hubba....

Reply #125221 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Show me the money Bonnie!

Reply #125271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754