nomoneyin the bank
Years ago

Coach and ref shortages?

There have been a number of posts lately about poor coaching, referring and/or not enough coaches or refs all leading to the same question: What to do about it?
In a nutshell, it seems the refs are either not good enough, there are not enough of them and they are all getting fed up with being abused. The better ones are able to be more selective where they officiate and regrettably some stadiums have the reputation for providing refs with a distant relationship with common sense and fair play.
On the coaching front, below Div 3 is unchartered waters for most who want to coach district seriously thus it is often left to mums, dads and 'Rusty' the bull terrier to coach kids who need the most work.
As in all things motivated by political correctness, having made refs a protected species has led to them becomming more precious and vulnerable to both the good natured rubbishing and totally unacceptable
abuse but without the experience to differentiate between the two. Unfortunately refs expect, in this sheltered environment, when
they perform below par to be received by the assembeld mob as if they had oficiated well. Youngsters are given U18, U16, etc games at Div 1 level where the players are considerably more sklled than the ref controllng their game which is a recipe for disaster. Frustration boils over, no one is happy, coaches , players parents or refs and another week in district rolls along: 'Ground Hog day'.
Refs need to paid coniderably more, in fact twice or three times as much.
Refs need to oficiate at the level they can accommodate.
Refs like players need to earn respect.
Refs need to be recruited thru job centres etc as cricket umps were.
UIC need to do regular upgrades and run with young umpires.
The odd ref,UIC and umpire needs to be sacked when repeated complaints are made.
Coaches should have to put in a report after each game on a set criteria on the officiators.
Every district club should have to provide 3 umpires and be responsible for training them.
The umpiring director's role should be reviewed and redefined to be productivity based.
Maybe we need to look at reducing the number of teams and Divsions at District level because we cannot reasonably expect kids to play and keep paying when
they get second rate officials coaching and running the game. Either that or reduce the club fees for Div 3 and below.

Topic #11703 | Report this topic

been around twice  
Years ago

its all about depth and quality of people involved - we will never get rid of the B graders and the forum is a good anon place to vent.

unfortunately for every decent contributor to basketball in sa we have to put up with 6 time wasters.

my real critical comment here on basketball sa is what goes on in juniors re ref slandering / manipulation ,overbearing parents / coaches etc

if it went on in schools - it would be bullying, if it went on in the workplace it would be harrassment.

the refs have the right to officiate unhidered, the coaches have the right to expect a competent ref.

problems start when you have inexperienced refs doing a top level game with no lead up from head ref or the refs themselves just saying pre game ie this is my first big one etc.
then we have parents / coaches who will not back down as well - their players are perfect and the ref is inferior.

coaches coach
refs ref
playas play
parents support

all find some common ground and move forward

Reply #137036 | Report this post

Jenny Crane  
Years ago

"nomoneyin the bank"

No refs = no games
So give credit to those out there regardless if they are good or not...

Reply #137119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenny Crane - you're spot on

Unfortunately quite a few people don't appreciate this

Reply #137135 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

1) We do have some very good UICs - but not all of them are

2) We do have some very good referees - but not all of them are

3) Referees make mistakes - so do players

4) There are some very good (and highly qualified) coaches in Div 3 and below - but not all of them are

5) Some clubs charge lower fees for Div 3 & below - but not all of them do

6) If you don't like what you see - fix it. Get a green shirt and a whistle and show us how it's done. Do a coaching course & start coaching a team (or 2 or 3). If players/coaches/managers/parents from your club abuse officials, do something about it. Encourage the Div 1 players complaining about the referees to take up umpiring on Saturday mornings. Then the good non-playing refs can be promoted to Friday nights.

7) Throwing money at the problem won't fix it. If a ref quits because they are sick of being abused, more money isn't going to bring them back.

8) Next time you are getting wound up about the refs making mistakes, start counting the mistakes the players are making and compare it with the number of mistakes from the refs. There aren't many games where the players, for all their intense training, don't have a higher clanger count than the refs.

9) Most district clubs are already providing far more than three referees a week, if you count the number of refs that currently play for a club.

Reply #137138 | Report this post

DaddyO,I think most of what you say is right but I can't see Junior div 1 players having the time to ref on top of their studies and multiple trainings but your points are well made.
Maybe paying more would attract more refs but who knows.
I don't have the answers either but I think we need to find some.

Reply #137143 | Report this post

rybags  
Years ago

if you pay me enough you can yell at me all night. i'm a former district player that now plays social and i looked into becoming a ref. but the pay is crap.

i have coached school teams and really enjoyed it. One training session, which was in the early arvo. and saturday morning game. And the pay is ok. I was going to coach a district junior team, but the time comittment is to much. two week night training sessions and a friday night game. No Pay. Im not a greedy man, but some financial renumeration is required. c'mon.

Reply #137150 | Report this post

rybags has hit it in one. Money may not solve all evils but it goes a long way towards easing the pain.
District coaches do it for love so they'd say they have more right to yell at people who are getting paid to do a job.
Been down this path before but the costs incurred with coaching are very high and perhaps we better sort that one out too.

Reply #137170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Wed 15 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754