Anonymous
Years ago

Davidson pick up of the year

Who else thinks that Brad davidson has been the recruit of the year? Really has surprised me.

Topic #13502 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

He sure is my favorite

Reply #157619 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

He must of played great 'd' to keep Helms under control last night. Also stirred up the NZ guys well last week! Probably underrated offensively in both scoring and setting up the team offense

Reply #157620 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Without a doubt. Just a real shame that he and Maher havnt been able to share the court that much this year.

Reply #157621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to be a very accurate 3 point shooter. Unfortunate that he and brett havent been able to partner on a consistant basis so far due to injury.

Reply #157622 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has a bit of competition from Black (had a great start at least) and Tragardh maybe, but definitely a quality signing.

Reply #157627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the 36ers ever consider targeting darnell Mee as previous rumours suggested or always davidson. I think that davisdon has added similar service to Mee and other guards in the leauge but isnt rated as highly. You would also think that he would come cheaper to.

Reply #157628 | Report this post

Astor 74  
Years ago

Barlow? Coming off a serious knee injury, no one was sure if he'd get his game back.

Reply #157629 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I thought Mee was first preference then cairns gave him a big offer the 36ers didnt want to macth so they went for davidson who would of come cheaper. Would they have considered signing both??? Mee is probably big enough to play minutes at SF, hes about the same size as Saville isnt he??

Reply #157630 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

davidson son of a gun
he is the franchise

Reply #157631 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They did go for Mee but he's overpriced and I reckon he's slipped a bit. Even at the same price, I think I'd lean towards Davidson - still goes at 100% whereas some suggest that Mee coasts a bit.

Reply #157632 | Report this post

There is no doubt Davidson is a good addition to the 36ers.

However last night he did not do much to contain Helms and Mike's poor performance was mainly of his own making .

The question is maybe whether Davidson and Maher is a good combination ?

Can a team really have 2 on court leaders ? Davidson seemed to enjoy last night not having Maher in the team but being able to take the lead himself when he wanted .....

Reply #157639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mee and Maher work better together, Mee would have been a better pick up and woulda been great publicity as hes a public favourite from years gone by, although Davidson is still a great pick up and a superstar player i feel Davidson would have been a better pick up, mind you wouldn't have minded these 3 rotating through the point guard and shooting guard spots

Reply #157640 | Report this post

157640 - Saw your statement above re Davidson , frankly he is not a superstar player but an honest workhorse ...he will kick the 36ers into some action this year but is no way the saviour the 36ers need longer term.

Reply #157645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U would have to go Barlow or Saville I would have thought..

Reply #157646 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

sav has done nothing outstanding for the kings but still tributes to a team that was already a title contender,bd is the best pick up based on performance, and black started well too.

Reply #157653 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Didn't somebody post that Sixers have actually been trying to get Davidson for the last 4 years?

Reply #157655 | Report this post

Peter Coombs  
Years ago

Cameron Tragardh is easily the pick of the year.Its a no brainer.

Davidson has increased his scoring by an extra 4 pts per game.

Whereas Cam T has increased his by 14 ppg and money wise he would be getting much less than Davidson, Barlow, Saville and Black.

Reply #157657 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Davidson's been amazing. he brings so much energy to the floor. He brings so much more than his stats. He dives on the ball, he takes charges, he does it all for the team and that's the sort of player you love to have. The game against NZ was SO different because Davo was there.

Reply #157658 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was the 'Brad Davidson Spectacular'

Reply #157662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydn and Melb are one and 2 respectively and sixers are 10th?

Yea i thought so...

I think anyone with any clue would rate Barlow and Sav higher.

Reply #157663 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I agree Barlow and Sav are better pickups. But Davidson has been very good.

Defense wins games re your 2 leaders comment - see Bird/McHale. Magic/Worthy. Shaq/Wade. Duncan/Robinson. etc etc

Reply #157668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm, black, sav, penney, jawai and loughton?

Reply #157682 | Report this post

Roy  
Years ago

Hinson is my pick for the best pick up this season

Reply #157686 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, widen the net and there are a lot more. I was considering non-imports who'd been lured from one team to another.

Include imports and you've got Hinson, Williams, Rickert, etc.

Reply #157687 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I assumed there was some implied qualification that we were talking about a known entity that was better than advertised, in which case Davidson could fit the bill in a small field of challengers. Obviously, on any wider interpretation (who is the best player playing for a team they didn't play for last season), well, then you want to be looking for an MVP type, which doesn't include Davidson.

Reply #157694 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

definetly pick up of the year for the sixers just disapointed it took this long to finally get him

Reply #157712 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #157663 by your reasoning Barlow and Saville alone are the reason their teams are no. 1 and 2 and Davidson alone is the reason Adelaide is no. 10. Basketball is a team game, one single player cannot do it all alone. By no means is Davidson any lesser a player than Barlow and Saville on an individual player basis. Davidson is the best pick up Adelaide has had for several years. He brings so much heart and soul to the team and absolute joy to watch the contribution that he makes.

Reply #157718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dusty is going to cry when he reads that! Unless you redefine "several"!

Reply #157721 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

2 years, however if Davidson is the best signing since Dusty, then you can take it back to 2002.

Reply #157724 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Davidsons picked his shooting up alot this year, his previous averages where what 8-9 pts a game, poor 3 point average. Really good pick up since we are getting more out of him than other teams have been able to.
That and he has the attitude of Cattalini, just not the size to back it up...

Reply #157727 | Report this post

Reading above comments some of my fellow fans seems to have lost a bit of perspective when it comes to how great Davidson really is...........No match to Dusty.

Ok , I forgive you as certainly he has added some spark and hardwork to a 36ers team which otherwise has been going nowhere since Dusty left .....but please take it easy he is no superman and you are getting just a bit too excited it can be dangerous .....Kind of reminds me of myself when the Slingers win these days ....Just shows what happens when people have been starved for good exciting basketball for long and something new and energetic comes along whether it is "duracell Davidson " or some young hardworking Slingers !

PS you got to wonder why he did not come to Adelaide much ealier in his playing career if he can become everyones superstar after only a few matches ?

Reply #157732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC u tool. Davidson is a lot less of a player than Sav and Barlow.

The fact he is 2' and that the other 2 can play multiple positions and are in Aust squad should tell u that. (Barlow was before injury).

Reply #157740 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

No need to get personal, but I agree that Barlow and Sav are a class above. That said, Davidson is just what the Sixers have been lacking the last few seasons. Those types of players bring 110% every night.

Reply #157743 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I know Davidson played the Commonwealth games in Melbourne, but did he play much for Australia before that?

Goorjian has been an outspoken fan of Brad's for a while, and i would be surprised if that was the first time he played Boomers but i cannot recall any other Boomer duties apart from Melbourne.

Reply #157748 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

I bet you SOJ thinks he's a chance, he just needs the court time to prove it.

Reply #157749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason the majority of Adelaide fans love Davidson is because he brings aggression, fight and a never say die attitude to the court. Something that was lacking previously at the 36ers.

This board is full of some seriously negative people. You don't have to like every player but give credit where it's due and stop focusing on every negative aspect.

Skud - Davidson was shooting 3 pointers at 40% prior to this season (I wouldn't call that poor).

Reply #157770 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

theDoctor

Had a look at some stats for the season because my initial view was similar to yours:

Davidson - 6g 35mpg fg%42 3p%37 ft%86 3.1rpg 4.7apg 1.5spg 14.5ppg

Barlow - 10g 31mpg fg%51 3p%36 ft%69 4.6rpg 1.3apg 0.8spg 16.5ppg

Saville - 11g 33mpg fg%41 3p%34 ft%73 6.9rpg 2.9apg 1.5spg 12.9ppg

On the numbers (not always a full picture) there is not much difference between any of the three. All are solid at both ends of the court. As a short pg, it is not expected that Davidson would compete in rpg, but still not bad when you consider Sav is one of the best rebounders for his size. Barlow's big upside is that he is younger and will improve, but he is not quite there yet. Clearly, one difference is that Sav and Barlow are contributing on deeper and more successful sides, but not enough to entirely dismiss Davidson's performances this year.

Davidson is averaging 5ppg more and 1 apg more than last year (which was not Brad's best year statistically) in the same minutes. So he is obviously enjoying a bit more freedom in Smyth's system.

It is the intangibles that he brings that makes the Sixers look better around him. I agree he is not one of the elite players in the league, but don't discount that if he continues the rest of the season as he is going that he will cement his spot as one of the better second-tier starters in the league.

Reply #157774 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Annon #157740, if you are the same person as Anon #157663, then you are the tool. In your first comment you suggested that Barlow and Saville were better than Davidson because they belong to number 1 and 2 teams. The team position may not be relevant to the quality of the individual players, therefore it means nothing really that they belong to the top 2 teams. I have not seen Saville and Barlow play for Adelaide. I cannot tell you that what they would bring to this team would be worth more than what Davidson brings but I would not swap him. Get your own facts right and understand what you have written.

Reply #157838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754