i hate game delays
Years ago

Useless court-sweeper

I know he's just a kid but, jeez, did anyone notice the pisspoor effort last night of that peanut masquerading as a court-sweeper in the Adelaide-West Sydney game? What a tool he was. I hope that was his last NBL match.

OK, I don't expect absolute perfection from a 12-13-yo volunteer, but my beef is that his slowness to react and general apathy delayed the game on a number of occasions, and while it had no bearing on the result last night, it may do so in the future, in a sport where momentum is everything.

I counted at least 5-6 occasions where he was just slouching on his backside ogling the cheerleaders instead of being proactive or at least promptly responding to requests from the refs and the players.

I noticed him copping what appeared a stern dressing down from one of the club officials at one stage, but it didn't seem to work though.

The same official had to practically wake the kid up and point to a wet spot on the floor literally a minute later, which the kid finally responded to by ambling up slowly, holding up proceedings and sweeping with all the urgency of a concussed sloth.

I don't think I'm being overly harsh, I just expect a bit more from someone who is doing a job that I bet a lot of his schoolmates/teammates would be envious of, and would most likely to it justice.

Topic #13738 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

My suggestion is that they court sweepers are replaced at one end with Matt Sutton, and at the other end with Axel Dench.

You are correct i hate game delays, the effort last night was pathetic.

Reply #160297 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Bhaha LMFAO!
Just the type of thread that gets my sunday morning off with a big grin!!!!

But yes, they were a bit lazy...

Reply #160298 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

I liked the fact that he went for the high five as he was walking off the court past the sixers bench, Copes responded. Gold

Reply #160301 | Report this post

Go Dragons!  
Years ago

Leave him alone, his a kid! Just goes to shows 6ers fans bag there own people hahahahahhaah Im sure he didn't mean to waste any of ur valuable time

Reply #160302 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

No - we are not bagging him, we are just picking up on something that stood out which was UNPROFESSIONAL during a PROFESSIONAL event.

It's time the 36ers took advantage of an embarrassing situation which has occurred more than once and fixed it up.

Reply #160303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're essentially volunteers who get a free ticket, right? I'm sure you could get your criticism across in a more constructive and pleasant way?

Reply #160304 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Yeah get over it. I hardly think people are queing up to do the job, especially given they are likely to cop shit on here.

Reply #160305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah the kid was a tool

Reply #160307 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They were both terrible. My mum even said so, which is saying something! No mum jokes please haha, but seriously, just looks really unprofessional, they should be running to and from the wet spot, and showing some intensity.

Reply #160310 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Kobe24: Apparently they court sweepers have been receiving training from Chappell and Dench this season. Explains a lot, really.

Reply #160311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I think they could do a better job, pay attention, move a bit quicker, etc - but the answer isn't really to blast them on here. Email the club and outline your concerns or write something here in a more constructive way.

As I've suggested - give them clearer guidance and put two at each end (and probably not in the corners either) - that should give them more confidence (being with a buddy) to get out there quickly, and be easier for the refs to get their attention.

Reply #160313 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

I remember the good old days of the Brooksy's good guys. Those dudes didnt even have to be asked.. common sence prevails that when someone falls over.. the floor weepers r gonna need to get out there. The old wipers could do it why cant the new? It is a bit frustrating but i know its a job i wouldnt put my hand up for!

Reply #160317 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Just had confirmation that the court sweeper in question is actually 19 YEARS OLD! hardly a kid...

Kobe24,can we organise for YA MUM to sweep the floor next week, maybe dressed the same as the cheerleaders...?

And by the way, there are a few wet spots here she can attend to...

Reply #160319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone remember that game way back when the sixers (Dunlap era) were playing the north melbourne giants (I think it was in the playoffs) and during a sixers offense at a crucial stage of the game someone fell and left a large sweat spot at the free throw line. I think the sixers turned the ball over and everyone began to race back down the floor in transition, except for Robert Rose who stole the outlet pass at half court. With everyone else running the other way, Rose had only one guy to beat to the hoop. However, just as he began to make his way in for the layup, he stepped on the aforementioned sweat spot, losing the footing in his front foot which slid out causing him to twist awkwardly, fall and lose the ball back to the guy he'd just stolen it from. The crowd went silent fearing the best player in the league had just done his knee. I can remember feeling so relieved as his "rose" from the hardwood, clearly unhurt. I can also remember being so shocked as, instead of turning to run back on defense, he turned to the 10 year old floor sweeper, who had made it only half way onto the floor before Rose stole the pass, stared him down and screamed at the top of his lungs with a ferocity that echoed through the still mostly silent stadium, "What's your fucking job?!!"

And you thought the current floor kid was copping it.

Reply #160320 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

they were great, i was actually enjoying watching them take there time oblivious that a game was on. Cooper clapped the kid to wake him up at one point i think and the high five from the team was great stuff. Added a lot of character to the game but did take away from any potential momentum either side could have had.

Reply #160321 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

That kid was not 19!

Reply #160323 | Report this post

uncle Mal  
Years ago

I think that we need to bring in 16yo boys to be the floor sweeper they spend half their time running towards and looking for the wet spots

Reply #160324 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

he was actually 19, hard to believe but its true.

Reply #160325 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

For those confused as to what a volunteer is, I'll offer my old school thoughts & let's see if you can pick the difference.
VOLUNTEER:
Someone, who with the best interests of the product/industry/club, gives without any thought of compensation, be it monitory, or freebies.
Now my take on that, is that they'd be energetic & almost be in the way with enthusiasm, but it isn't happening.
I don't give a crap whether he's doing it for free, he put his name down for the job, & he needs to back it up. Is that so hard?

Reply #160330 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

The kid was an absolute spoilt gen-Y brat. "Mummy, waaah, I have to sweep the floor at an NBL game! Where's my pocket money?"

Reply #160332 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Contrast him with the kid at the other end - no fuss, did the job without requiring attention from everyone.

Reply #160333 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

I've just completed a NCAS 2 Coaches course, organised by Danny O'Brien. Danny is also the NBL Games Comissioner...

"The kid was an absolute spoilt gen-Y brat. "Mummy, waaah, I have to sweep the floor at an NBL game! Where's my pocket money?"

This comment is BULLSHIT! The kid was actually pulled out of the audience. How do I know this? I asked Danny and he stated that during the game Danny got on the radio and asked some "blueshirts" to scout out a kid who would help out. The kid was a VOLUNTEER, and he had never done it before.

Did you know: "50 years ago, students left high school knowing 75% of the knowledge they needed for their working life; and that today, a student leaves high school knowing 2% of what they will need to know."

"By the time students who started in Reception this year reach Year 12, the information available to them will have multiplied 64 times."

I thought "what the..." when i saw this kid last night, but i sure as hell didn't think it was worth posting on hoops about.

Reply #160338 | Report this post

jace  
Years ago

Yep, the kid was a pelican ... a pelican without a brain.

I also thought "what the" like yourself Robbo, but I sure as hell thought it was damn well worth posting about. It is basketball-related after all.

Reply #160366 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Kobe24,can we organise for YA MUM to sweep the floor next week, maybe dressed the same as the cheerleaders...?"

Been there, done that.....wasn't impressed.

Reply #160375 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Suggestion is that you call for adult Gold Ticket holders to do the job. It ain't hard, you just need to show some concentration and understanding.

Reply #160412 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Have to agree the kid was useless.

The last Couple of games there has been a girl running onto the court and cleaning WHILE the game was in play, get her back, she obviously has initiative and a willingness to do the job.
I think the team might have given him a high five if he wasnt acting like such a wanker and merely strolling off the court, possibly slowing down their momentom!

Reply #160436 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Yes let's keep the current court-sweepers and let everyone at home on Fox see how useless we are at putting someone half decent with a little bit of initiative and enthusiasm to do a job which requires less brain cells than the age of the person in question!

Wooooooo-saaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!! (Glad I got that of my chest!)

Reply #160481 | Report this post

eddie  
Years ago

eddies thinks you should get over it!

Reply #160521 | Report this post

MrsDelight  
Years ago

I think that the 2 girls who have been doing it for a few games are the best! they seem to be interested in the game and looking for the wet spots.. Otherwise the Bakers boys from the L'Ning games are looking for another gig!!

Reply #160652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754