Sturty6ers
Years ago

Tigers vs Blaze, January 2nd

Tigers won 117 to 102. Ten deep to 6 deep. Enough said.

Box score

Topic #14073 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Blaze coach Brendan Joyce was disappointed with the outcome, but not the effort of his players, who toiled without experienced pair Juaquin Hawkins and Ben Melmeth.
Any idea re those DNP/injuries? If they're anywhere near long-term, that could make the Blaze easier prey.

Reply #164768 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hawkins had gastro apparently was on the loo a lot before the game

Melmeth hasnt suited since the break - not sue how long he will be out but we certainy need him ASAP

Reply #164770 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Tigers did good in that game although the blaze stuck with them for most of the night.
Big guns like Anstey, Lampley and Barlow got good rest as they had a consistent 10-15 point margin most of the game. [Although bad for my dream team!]
Tyson Demos impressed me in those few minutes he got and I think he would be a great dream team pickup if he changes club at end of season and gets new opportunities somewhere else. [a.k.a Cam Tragardh]

James Harvey was also impressive tonight with 31 points only missing 4 shots all night.

I believe [not 100% sure though] that Hawkins was sick and Melmeth has a little niggling injury

Right now in the Perth-Singapore game, Perth are up 62-41 with 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Reply #164771 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Noticed that SOJ had 15 points in 28 minutes.

Reply #164799 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Statman will laugh when he reads this but I'm starting to like SOJ.

I'd even say that I'd prefer him on my squad over Sutton... Nothing spectacular, but just has the knack of spotting up when needed and is hitting his shots. Can't ask for anything more from the kid.

Still needs a lot of time in the gym and needs to tell his mum to stop shagging the coach...

Reply #164801 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

HA - yep your right I am laughing.....

He has done quite well over the last couple of weeks - amazing the difference when a couple of shots go down and he gets some confidence. We have Shane Heal and the Dragons to thank for that as he hit a couple of 3's against their 'red hot defense' and has carried the confidence forward. Also his ball distribution and hitting his team mates when they are in good postion has improved as well.(Last night he at least seemed to look for Harvey who was working his butt off running off screens to get free when the rest of the Blaze seemed happy to just pass the ball around the perimeter and jack up 3's) All in all he is developing quite well and hopefully will continue to do so.
Criticism will still come his and Brendans way and probably fair enough as he has been given plenty of opportunity to develop - often at the expense of others (Demos) whio it could be argued were more deserving.

Reply #164804 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

hawkins did not have gastro talk is that he has had minor stroke and is still in the alfred hospital in melb

Reply #164814 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

From the NBL website:

"With injured centre Ben Melmeth again reduced to spectator against the Tigers, the under-sized guests also lost import forward Juaquin Hawkins who was suffering dehydration and heatstroke.

Hawkins, according to Joyce, spent time in hospital in the two days leading up to the clash and was on an intravenous drip as his team-mates battled the Tigers."

Heatstroke and dehydration

Reply #164815 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Watching last night it was plain to see that SOJ slowed the offence to a dribble - all the Blaze players were forced to stand around as he dribbled around at the top against mediocre pressure from D-Mac - he appeared that he was so worried about his ability to handle the ball he ate up 10-15 seconds of every offence just trying to get them into their set ... it was then up to CRowe and Harvey to jack an ill-advised off balance j cos they could never get into motion.

To his credit he did a couple of nice things (couple of 3's - nice pass into Frank on a pick and roll). but I still think SOJ is terrible - but not a lost cause that I once thought.

Give more minutes to Demos.

Reply #164816 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I didn't see Harvey jack any ill-advised off-balanced Js.

Reply #164817 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

You did watch the Blaze game didn't you Sturty?

Reply #164819 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I didn't see him miss many..ill advised or not.

Reply #164822 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Didn't say he missed - just that he had to take some tough one on one shots cos of SOJ's constant dribbling

Reply #164826 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Don't know if I've mentioned this before but I like the way Westover clears his bench any chance he gets and runs his development players. Granted they are up by 15 or 20, but it is still good to see.

Reply #164854 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

SVD i dont know what game you were watching SOJ played a great game, the team did better when he was on the court, he ran the offence and didnt throw the ball away as much as crowe.

The kid has proven he has got game,

Reply #164935 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754