Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Thinking Cap Friday: improving end-games

Seeing as Video Friday hasn't made an appearance yet, I thought I'd generate other 'Friday' concept which will probably last one week: Thinking Cap Friday.

Each Friday (OK, probably just today) forumers are encouraged to put their thinking caps on and offer constructive criticism towards a particular topic.

Today's topic: improving the ends of games. I for one get frustrated seeing teams deliberately foul, and also with the inordinate number of time-outs, that turn what we all love about basketball (free-flowing, 10 bodies in constant motion able to do whatever they like wherever they like on the court) into a stop-start affair that rarely resembles the 46 minutes that came before it.

But is this an over-reaction? Are there any realistic ways of keeping the action going in end-game situations? Limiting time-outs? Harsher penalties for deliberate fouling?

Topic #14163 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the usual suggestion to combat this? Giving teams the option of shots or side ball if fouled (while not in the act of shooting) inside the last couple of minutes?

Reply #166072 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If a team is on 5 fouls and the clock is under 2 minutes in the last quarter. Any defensive foul commited in the back half of the court is 2 shots and possesion.

Reply #166074 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think thats a bit harsh skip....maybe 1 shot and possesion.

I personally like the old days when you had the option of a foul shot or side ball

In regards to the endless timeouts - I see this as more of an issue in NBA where they have 24 sec time outs and normal ones - I trust we never go down that path over here

Reply #166081 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I think I find the most frustrating end-games are the ones where the result is pretty much assured, but the losing team still has that small window of opportunity (say 7-8 points with one minute to go) so that they begin deliberately fouling in the hope that the better team up until that point turns bad.

Deliberate fouling ruins it for me: if it was such a great basketball strategy teams would use it 48 minutes a game (granted, the 'Hack-a-Shaq' strategy is the exception that proves the rule).

But it's within the rules of the game - and I don't know if there are better rules for it out there.

Timeouts are bit easier to legislate: how about one timeout only, per team, in the last 2 minutes? (And only if the margin is less than, say, 10.)

Reply #166082 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I think it's unfair for umpires and scorers to have to keep an eye on the margin to allow time-outs etc. I think in juniors, timeouts are important in the last few minutes, especially with younger kids inexperienced in crunch time basketball. You'd expect adults and professionals to know what to do without a timeout every dead ball?

I don't mind the foul in the backcourt in last 2 minutes harsher penalties thing.

2 or 1 shot + possession would certainly stop the constant fouling late in the game.

Alternatively, maybe umpires can use the interpretation of "unsportsmanlike" foul more generally in close games, surely hack on an inbounds for no reason other than to stop clock may be interpreted as unsportsmanlike and result in the call? Of course, ref would cop a bath from the players for calling it!

Reply #166086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it so bad that a team, down 7-8 with 60-90 seconds left should have a chance to win?

Perhaps the end-game in these situations is just inevitable?

Reply #166087 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I seem to remember years ago there was no unsportsmanlike foul - rather it was an intentional foul. Why was that change made? Surey that would give the ref more scope to call intentional fouls in the dying minutes for deliberate hacks etc etc

Reply #166088 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Isaac, why can't they play like they have for the preceding 46 minutes in order to do that? If you're good enough (and up until that point, you obviously haven't been if you're down by 7-8), then it should be achievable.

For 46 minutes, teams' mindsets on defense is preventing their opponent from scoring. Then in the last 2 minutes, in that 7-8 point range, the mindset changes full-circle to conceding scoring. They choose to play bad defence, knowing full well that the other team will probably score as a result. It just seems weird.

(Of course, it's the 'probably' that interests the losing team.)

How about incurring time penalties instead of shooting/possession penalties: ie losing team may choose to foul but it will cost them a shotclock's worth (24 seconds)?

Reply #166098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have to foul to stop the clock otherwise you're not going to make up 8 points in 60 seconds if the other team uses up all but 12 seconds on two consecutive plays.

I don't love the foulathons and time-outs, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Reply #166099 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Maybe in the last 2mins of the game if a foul is made to send someone to the line any of the 5 players on that team can shoot the two shots (except in shooting foul situations), will teams keep fouling if Brett Maher (or CJ or whoever) ends up taking every shot?

Reply #166102 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Huge gripe of mine. Blight on the game IMO. Have suggested this many times - one shot and possession. Only disadvantages the fouling team, and encourages honest, tough defence on every possession.

Reply #166113 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The other option is to call the deliberate hack what it really is - an intentional foul.

Reply #166114 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

The easiest solution is to just eliminate those last two foul prone minutes from the game. Reduce the game from 48 minutes to 46. Problem solved.

Reply #166115 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Brilliant Rex!

I don't mind the fouling option, it exposes bad free throw shooters and people who can't handle pressure - I like that! It also gives the opposing team hope that they can still win the game. If you're down 7-8 with a couple of minutes left, arguably you have been around the mark. Winning by fouling from there and you've made some big shots in the clutch and the other team has choked. IMO they didn't deserve it if that's the case!

The only annoying thing is when you're coaching the next game and have to wait 10 minutes for a 45 seond game..

Reply #166118 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Funny enough I was only thinking and discussing this last night.

Firstly, in all my years of BBall, I think I have only ever seen multipel time outs, fouling players, scamming every second possible only work twice to get an upset win - yet every coach persists with it.

It rarely works, and makes the game ending rather boring.

Anyways - My solution - make the last 30 or 60 seconds of a game 'Hot' time - no time outs allowed, and fouls result in 2 shots plus possesion.

Or bring back the Intentional Foul Rule

Reply #166124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor - first post - that would give the trailing team no chance at all. I like that they have some chance. Second post - bit subjective, though I would like to see the defender go for a legitimate steal, even if rougher than normal.

bozza - "hot time" is an interesting concept, but do you want to disallow timeouts when you're down by 2 and need time to draw up a play to try for the three? Shots and possession would seriously impact close games - I wonder if there'd be any at all?

Probably a stupid idea, but if part of the problem is the leading team wasting the clock, what about having a shortened shot clock (12-16 seconds?) in the last 1-2 minutes of a game?

Reply #166129 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - I dont think shortening the shot clock would still prevent the cheap intentional fouls.

I think the best idea would be to give the fouled team the option to take shots or take a side ball if within the last 2 minutes.
If it is deemed an intentional foul in the back half of the court then perhaps 1 or 2 shots with possesion.

Reply #166134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I meant, shorten the shot clock as well as one of those other measures. That way, the trailing team isn't as likely to foul, but the leading team can't waste as much time.

Reply #166137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ban time outs there shouldn't be any. Exceed more than 4 fouls in the two minutes then gameends (is fofeited), the team is reported and a set fine paid. In the NBL about 5K should do it. No appeal.

The refs and players will have to adapt fitness wise. Refs shouldn't be calling so many soft penis fouls and coaches will have to be better organised. The game flow a bit more.

Problems mainly when one team starts dominating the other - less opportunity to correct the sinking ship.

Reply #166139 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

what is a soft penis foul annoymous #166139 ?

Does it called in the WNBL as well?

Reply #166144 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

#166139 is mine. For whatever reason my name had been wiped causing corres. came out as anon.

Reply #166145 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

If it was shown that fouling in the last 2mins NEVER worked, then teams would stop using it, but it's shown that on occassion, it does work, so I say let teams use it .. keep the pressure on the team with the lead to make the free throws ...

Reply #166146 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I HATE the end game foul-a-thons. Last 36er v Kings home game went that way, & with 02:48 on the clock. WTF, in that time, Draper went from locked down, to = 2nd team high scorer.
Deliberate foul penalties should be re-introduced to bring back the fight-back spirit.

Reply #166153 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

I think the prime example was the Knicks Clevland NBA game I watched several months back.

With one minute to go, there was a 10 point difference, and after 20 mins of watching time outs, foul shots, and hasty 3 second offences, I gave up and turned it off without seeing the end of the game.

If we are trying to market the NBL to FTA TV, we cannot have this nonsense occur every game, where game time can blow out so much, without OVer Time Occuring.

Reply #166156 | Report this post

HA  
Years ago

re: Thinking Cap Friday: improving end-games (#166114 | Grrr!)
The other option is to call the deliberate hack what it really is - an intentional foul.

Just on this point - change intentional to unsportsmanlike, and I agree with you.

The point The Doc is trying to make (I'm just nit-picking the intentional/unsportsmanlike issue), I actually agree with. IMO, if you're fouling to stop the clock on purpose, then you are violating the rules in an unsportsmanlike manner for your own gain. If a ref of calling a foul on a team which advantages the team committing the violation, then it really goes against the entire advantage/disadvantage principle, right?

IMO - call these unsportsmanlike fouls & get it over with. I hate teams (and the 6ers do it early sometimes) who are down 10 with 2-3 mins to go & start fouling. Ugh.

FWIW - I'd hazard a guess that I've seen twice the amount of games won from 7-12 down with 2-3 mins left by teams playing honest D & hitting tough shots, than I have teams who've gone the fouling route.

The only time this is a +EV tactic is if there's less than 2 posessions of gametime left (IE <48 seconds), and the margin is <6 points.

That's my thoughts, anyhow.

Reply #166161 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

ten points down, 56secs to go .. and win ..

Reply #166166 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Intentional foul / unsportsmanlike foul - really pretty much the same thing.

The solution lies in the hands of the refs (that's why we're in trouble).

If there's no attempt to play the ball in the execution of the foul then by the rules of the game its an unsportsmanlike foul. 2 shots and possession.

If the refs would call this correctly it would be "Problem solvered."

Reply #166199 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Agreed Sector 7G. And Isaac - I'm not with you on giving the other team a chance for the sake of it. They are in with a chance because they are in the game.

I really hate the end of game fouls. Really hate. Really really hate.

On a lighter note - I'm seeing Vanilla Ice tomorrow.

Reply #166203 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

T-Mac's effort in that last minute was absolutely spectacluar! THAT is what basketball is about folks!

Reply #166247 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Maybe in the last minute any DELIBERATE non shooting foul gives the opposition 1 shot and possession .
Or expanding on that the fouled team can have the choice of 3 shots or 1 shot and possession .
Some interesting scenarios should come up .

Surely this would be an easy one for the umpires to interpret , LTM . You would expect the interpretation to vigilant .

Also , in the last minute of quarters each team is only allowed 1 time out .

Reply #166269 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just mentioned on radio , best of 5 sets like tennis,
would create more interest in the early parts of the game. Five x 8 min qtrs. best of five.

Reply #168020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754