rotate on this
Years ago

Ng going off vs Tigers

wow , 22pts , 2reb , 2 ass , 2 stl , 2blk and 4 treys with 3 minutes left in the third quarter .
He has definitely got something special , just needs to unleash these games more frequently at the NBL level . In saying that he has been producing more lately when called upon . Just a little inconsistent still .
The impressive things lately are the athletic rebounds , blocks and steals with a number of charges taken also .
Keep it up Darren .

Topic #14360 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

NG has slowed down.

down by 5 with 9 minutes to go.

Reply #168899 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

may i add NG is also injured.

Reply #168900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks

Reply #168901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any update in the adelaide

Reply #168902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any update in adelaide

Reply #168904 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Hodge DOMINATING late. down by 5 not long to go.

Reply #168906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any updates in the adelaide

Reply #168908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any score

Reply #168909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

adelaide score

Reply #168910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

adelaide score please

Reply #168911 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

108-113 try www.nbl.com.au it is on the main page.

Reply #168912 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Ng had 20 in the first half and then had 4 or something for the second half. Yes, he come off with an injury to his leg. Not sure whether it was knee or thigh.

Reply #168917 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i must say, i walked away tonigh thinking if the teamed only played like this more often, we may have lost but i enjoyed the game.
dench actually in the key, motts a defensive giant, Ng finally believing he belongs out there (till injured) hodge showing he can hit a free frow. brad being the terrior he is, dodman showing he wants to play (allthough the match up on anstey was a wierd one) erik showing some enthusiam and also probably ending sutts chances,

all in all enjoyed the game albeit a loss. im still stunned with the timeout called by voldermort in the first few minutes of the game i mean OMG it was proactive must be close to contract negotiation time.

whats the scoop with not replacing the injured ref, he was to far away from the action after that and made some soft calls because of that

Reply #168918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

appreciate any match reports thanks guys

Reply #168919 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It was an exciting and enjoyable game. Ng needs take more open shots. There were times when he was open and decided to pass the ball instead.

It was great to see 'Jordy' out there and I think he did really well against a tough opponent. This needs to happen more.

At the end of the game the 36ers where down by 5 with a couple of minutes to go. They just needed to play some defence, get a stop and they would have been home. Instead they decided to foul.........Game Over.

Reply #168920 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hodge played with injured foot and wrist.
(injured ref stayed on as the others only juniors,and no replacement was there tonight)

Reply #168921 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

thanks camel, in this day of professionalism though wouldnt it pay to have a "local" ref as a 4th/emergency

Reply #168922 | Report this post

Camel, Welbourne was there. He should have stepped in... Would have helped the 6ers as much as the Filmer, Bignall and the other character

Reply #168923 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

It is sort of hard to know how to feel about that game. In the first half I thought Melbourne was pretty much coasting, but we played well enough to make them fight for it in the second half.

Ng was fantastic in the first half. Some of his step-backs over the defender were brilliant. His was actually a pretty good Brett Maher impression, right down to the going off with a leg injury in the second half. It will be a disaster if Ng does not continue next year.

Ballinger was down offensively, for the fourth game in a row. 14/9 isn't a terrible night, but we'll struggle to beat anybody if he doesn't put up big numbers.

Hodge had a real purple patch in the third and fourth. He was pretty much unstoppable off the dribble, but is badly hindered by his foul shooting (7/13 or something like that). Unfortunately though, when Hodge goes on these iso-tares it cuts Ballinger out of the game.

Mottram was solid on defence and on the boards, but is a fouling machine and gives nothing whatsoever on the offensive end.

Cooper didn't play much and was pretty ordinary when he did. He doesn't get enought rebounds for his size and minutes.

Davidson was subbed in and out in short bursts and played well. He didn't allow Crosswell or McDonald any penetration. I'd like to see him taking a few more shots though.

Dench had his best game at the Dome all year. He had 13 points (with three triples), though he must have shot 4-12 or 4-13. He had about a dozen rebounds as well and was, I thought, more of a positive than a negative. I wish he'd opt more for the catch and shoot than the catch, procrastinate, up-fake, lean-in and shoot.

Jordy Dodman was the first guy off the bench tonight. He missed a couple of gettable shots after some good post moves, but he didn't look out of place, and added a hustle and toughness that has been seriously deficient. 6 points and about that many boards wasn't a bad return for his first real NBL game (garbage time appearances not included). The pick and roll, and drive and dish combination with Dodman and Hodge has some potential. He does something offensively (instinctively) that made Paul Rees a success: he gets himself in the right position.

Burdon only played the last 2.5 minutes of the third, but hit a side three. I was hoping to see more of him, but we ran with Hodge at the two for a lot of the game, and that was quite successful.

Gerlach didn't get in. I should have known that was going to happen after I read Boti's article this morning. Reminded me of a couple of years back when Todd Gower was mentioned as being the final piece in our playoff puzzle and he DIDN'T EVEN DRESS for the only finals game we had.

Matt Sutton: the writing is on the wall mate if two DEVELOPMENT players are playing and you don't.

For the Tigers:

McDonald: spent the whole time he was on the court bitching to the refs and acting like a tool (ala Jason Smith).

Stephen Hoare: I've said it before, I wish this guy played for us. He's just always so solid and rarely makes a mistake.

Stiff: got a couple of offensive boards and had 8 points including a nice dunk. He still is one of a kind.

Greer: it says a lot for the Tigers young guys that during Adelaide's best run of the game (in the third when we tied it at 79) that Tommy Greer stepped up and banged in a jumpshot.

Anstey: had 21, probably 13 boards, and stepped up with the big basket every time the Tigers needed one.

Thomas: shithouse.

Corletto: I don't know why we insist on leaving this guy open.

Lampley: a massive improvement on Muursepp. Versitale, has some range, and was a monster on the boards.

Barlow: certainly not gun-shy. That 14-14 night seems to have encouraged him to take the jumpshot first, rather than looking to put the ball on the floor. I'd like to see him taking the ball to the whole more.

Crosswell: good first step, he just needs a jumpshot to go with it.

A pretty interesting game, and not our worst loss. I think if we'd played that well against Perth and Wollongong last week we'd be 12-14, instead of 10 and GONE.

Reply #168927 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

hodge was the man in the 4th until voldermort subbed him with 6 minutes left. he had scored about 8 straight points and could not be stopped bringing us back to within 3. so why not sub him off, great work voldermort, then sub him back in for ng. maybe im stupid but doesnt it make sense to have your two leading scorers on in a 3 point game with six minutes left? voldermort cost us this win.

Reply #168929 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

thanks folks, great info...how did voldemort perform?

Reply #168930 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

I was at the game tonight and it was exciting and fun and . . . . all the while the only thing that kept popping into my mind was "How can Arseface Phyl ruin this?". Low and behold off goes Motts as he is owning the defensive end and on subs Cooper the friendly ghost. We make a run on the back of Hodge enthusiasm and sub, off goes Hodge. I understand that he is injured but he didnt call the sub and he was the one who was causing the problems for Melbourne. What would one more minute hurt? Instead he sits the next three and we dwindle into oblivion. The guy has to go, NOW. Beyond Voldermorts inevitable stupidity I liked what Dodman did, he bumped, he rebounded and twice he went to work on a Tigers frontcourt much bigger than he. Where was this all season Phyl? In watching tonight I also ask wether Axle is as mediocre as he appears or is the style of game, or lack thereof, that he is forced to adhere to that mediocre. I wonder alot of things as I watch Phyl destroy the 36ers slowly each week. I will keep you posted with inane commentary when I can, thankyou and goodnight.
F#*kin SmYYthe

Reply #168931 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Frustrating loss, but respectable and (although scrappy) a very good game to watch.

Darren had a superb first half before the groin injury (and cramping?) hindered him after that.

Dench was great in the third especially, grabbing rebound after rebound. Thought Mottram had two absolutely crucial steals in the second half, but was probably fortunate not to foul out - thought he got away with a couple of clear fouls towards the end.

Hodge had a great second half. You have to marvel at his production given that he really can't shoot anything bar a lay-up - it's quite amazing and great to watch.

What's stopped the team playing like that previously during the season?

Thought Dodman's effort was decent. Would settle more with regular time. If he hit a couple of those inside buckets and he would've had a 10 and 6 line which would be great.

Also thought the court-wipers tonight were much better than past games. Were quick to get up, often didn't need to be signalled, etc.

Reply #168953 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

his mediocre.

Reply #168955 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

phew good news about the floor wipers :)

Reply #168957 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

'Matt Sutton: the writing is on the wall mate if two DEVELOPMENT players are playing and you don't.'

Hasnt Sutton been on the list the same amount of time as Dodman? How long can Dodman be classified as a development player? and if so, doesnt that make Sutton one aswell?

Mutley you dont make sense! Just cos one has had more game time in previous matches, it doesnt make him less of a development player than a guy who has been in the squad the same amount of time.

Youre heapsss smart.

Reply #168964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Dodman is younger than Sutton and has never been signed within a 10 man roster?

Reply #168965 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Hodge is playing very very well:

http://www.nblstats.com/gamebygame.php?playerid=11432

He is averaging 23.4 points a game after his first two matches.

T/O have gone down in the from 7/8 to 3/4 and his free throws seem to have improved too.

He can't shoot, you know he will drive, but you can do nothing about it unless you put on Chris Anstey for him to put 27 points on.

Reply #168985 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Well considering Dodman is 19 and Sutton is 23, I'd suggest there's more developing likely to be going on with Dodman than Sutton.

Burdon > Sutton in any case, and it's not even close.

Reply #169009 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ng played sensational. But I don't really expect to see him play much next season if he returns to his medical studies.

Suts needs to go.

Motts can go.

Dench can go.

Coops should probably go. We need someone who can score a few points + defence. He can't do it now.

Maher to play 6th man.

Reply #169023 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

I had this thought over the last few games, that Darren has played a lot better since Hodge came into the team, as it has meant that Darren has not had to be a Primary Ball-Handler.
I have looked up the figures and apart from 3pt% every stat for Darren has improved in the 7 games he has played with Hodge.

Total FG% - up from 41% to 49%
3ptFG% - steady at 33%
F/T% - up from 69% to 88%
Off Rebs - up from 1.2 pg to 1.4 pg
Def Rebs - up from 2.7 pg to 4.1 pg
Tot Rebs - up from 3.9 pg to 5.5 pg
Assists - up from 1.3 pg to 2.7 pg
T/Overs - Down from 1.7 pg to 1.3 pg
Blocks - up from 0.2 pg to 0.4 pg
Steals - up from 0.8 pg to 1.1 pg

I know 7 compared to 18 is not a big sample, but the trends look good. Makes the decision to hang on to Chappell even more difficult to comprehend.

Reply #169029 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I think Cooper should be kept, but not getting huge minutes. He has a limited skillset but generally plays well within these limitations. He's a decent back-up but is getting too many minutes with Motts being foul-prone in the key and Bench being fowl-prone in the key, that makes his weaknesses more glaring.

Reply #169035 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

There were three tools sitting courtside (one in a old Mark Davis singlet) behind the eastern hoop who were getting stuck into Barlow all night, and each time they did, it got him fired up and Barlow would score!....do these idiots post on this site?

Reply #169044 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

a lot of idiots post on this site......

Reply #169052 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

good point, thats why I descibed these idiots

Reply #169074 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Ng needs take more open shots"

I would usually agree with this statement by stury6ers, but has anyone elese noticed NG misses his open shots ALOT more then he does when he is under pressure.

The first 2 3's he missed last night were the easiest shots he had.
Great to see him step up, disapointing he doesnt do this more often first time i have enjoyed watching him.

Reply #169082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's averaging 25 over the last 3. you're just a hater.

Reply #169087 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754