Isaac
Years ago

Dragons lose in S'pore, two games clear at bottom

The South Dragons have gone down to the Singapore Slingers by 15 points, 108-93.

The result leaves them heading for the wooden spoon with a 4-22 record (Slingers are 6-22) and an active 13-game losing streak. They are 1-13 on the road.

Without any doubt, they must be the disappointment of the NBL season. A few suggested they might be fighting for a play-off spot and have trouble defending teams, but I can't imagine many would have predicted them to drop quite this far. Especially against Singapore (two imports, a decent Australian, and then rookies) and Wollongong (one import, missing a starting guard through injury).

Along the way, the ride has ended the careers of Shane Heal and Matt Shanahan and has hurt the prospects of Cortez Groves and Nick Horvath. Realistically, perhaps only the careers of Joe Ingles and Jacob Holmes should survive largely unscathed.

Their schedule to finish up the season is:

Breakers (home)
Taipans (home)
Tigers (road)
Kings (home)

This last game was coached by Guy Molloy; Shane Heal was not even in Singapore.

Topic #14439 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

I think it was the beginning of the end when they elected to go with those ridiculous player profile pictures.

Reply #170041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my guess is that Heal did not coach because of his ankle. he had surgery in sydney when they played sydney then wollongong. he could hardly move, and was on crutches at the hawks game.

Reply #170053 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

OMFG!!!! We Suk!!!

The positive was that Groves and Ingles, without the constant badgering of a certain coach, actually put in good games. Groves 7 TO's is the sign of a guy whose confidence has been crapped on.

Jacob is starting to play like a guy who really does not want to be there. Gone from leading the league in rebounding to averaging about 6 a game in the lat few weeks.

I HATE what this club is doing to these guys. All they need to do is fix one problem and things will improve.

Reply #170058 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

How bout a trade. Your boys are looking for a coach, Adelaide is looking for a SF/PF type player.

We'll give you that coach, who I can't mention and you give us Jacob. We can also chuck in a box of McDonald's cookie, a Julius Hodge autograped basketball and possibly a yoyo without the string.

Reply #170059 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

The waythings are going, you'll get Jacob.

No dealing required.

Reply #170060 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

The problem with South Dragons is that they are synonymous with the name "Shane Heal" now. Regardless of my opinion of Shane Heal, starting a new franchise and marketing it so heavily on the back of a player who had to come out of retirement was just a stupid move to begin with.

Reply #170069 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

That is a very good point James. I've always been a little confused as to why there was so much attention on #3 from a marketing and branding point of view. Lot's of what the Dragons have done in this area has been inovative but in the case of Heal, it is a lot of eggs in an old, bleach blonde basket.

As for the roster.
Before they do anything else - Groves has got to go.

Bubble was already in retirement then was coaxed into coming back to fill the gap left by Brad Hill.

Jacob - out of contract at seasons end. He has a player option but would any sane player take it?

Joe - remains contracted but must have an NBA clause?

Heal - playing days are over, coaching may not be far behind...

Hendrix - you'd have to consider keeping him. Has done himself no harm by grabbing his oppurtunity in the NBL.

Martin - bye bye career... (He should be watching some of Brad Davidsons' game tapes)

Burston - Keep, for no other reason than you need to fill the spots and he is servicable.

The others - have been generally ok. Herbert is fearless and worth another year. Hill making his way back and we all have seen his potential. Hobba unfortunately has to be cut. Not up to NBL level.

What a sad season it has turned out to be...

Reply #170073 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

billo...
"I think it was the beginning of the end when they elected to go with those ridiculous player profile pictures"

Im tipping that David Brent (the office) was the man behind the pics, the further down the list i went..the more i laughed.

Reply #170135 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

With the exception of that first championship with Sydney, with arguably the best roster ever in the NBL, team success hasn't exactly followed the Hammer everywhere he's gone. IMO, just about the last guy you'd ever try to build a franchise around.

Reply #170187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754