Anonymous
Years ago

Rd 1 ABL predictions

Women

Eastern v North - Mt Barker

Cant see the Rockets having anyone being able to go close to competing with Cayla

Mavs by 15

South vs West - Marion

Think South will be a little more prepared in this one

South by 6

Norwood v Woodville - Mars

Norwood too good! well compared to Woodville.

Flames by 12

Centrals v Southern - Starplex

Long year for centrals

Tigers by 30+

Forestville v Sturt - Wayville

Tough battle but think Forestville to get the upset, only cos lightning players will be hungover

Eagles by 3

Men

Unlucky for Mavs to get North straight away, could be ugly

Rockets by 30+

South v West - Marion

Will be a close battle between rivals but West too much talent

Bearcats by 11

Norwood a little underdone but still too good

Flames by 15

Close battle, tough one to call, composure will decide the result, therefore

Centrals by 5

Sturt to cause an upset in this one, not sure why but will

Sabres by 2 in OT

Topic #15027 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

North easily

South v West - Marion
South in a close one

Norwood with ease

Southern in a close one

Forestville with ease.

Reply #177416 | Report this post

ballin is life  
Years ago

men or women Anon?

Reply #177430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry, men

Reply #177460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North easily

South v West - Marion
South in a close one

Woodville in a close one

Southern in a close one

Forestville with ease.

Reply #177475 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Women

North have some lethal weapons in their arsenal. Mavs have Cayla but will they be used to having her around. If Cayla plays, she will dominate but Rockets will win.
North by 5

South vs West - Marion
Don't know much about either except for South have lost Kelson and Browne and gained Truslove. West without Woosnam. Will the younger girls step up?
Best guess South by 2

Norwood way too good.
Flames by 12

Southern will continue on from last year. Long year for the Lady Lions.
Tigers by 30.

Sturt have the return of the lightning girls but the Eagles are always tough.
Eagles by 5

Men

The only word here is North.
Rockets by 30+

South v West - Marion
West will be too strong. No replacement for Scanlon.
Bearcats by 20

No real big name changes to the Flames and there have been no rumours regarding the Warriors. So, I'll stick my neck out and say Woodville.
Warriors by 10

Southern to be smothered to the Bungey Tantrums. Centrals have 'The Reg' back. That's a definite advantage.
Centrals by 2

Forestville are always strong, they have good development programs, good coaches and very good players.
Eagles by 5.

Reply #177477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there a hot weather policy in aba.... some these tin sheds will be terribly hot and dangerous

Reply #177497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is reesy really playing for woodies????

Reply #177502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

............Forestville are always strong, they have good development programs, good coaches and very good players.
Posted by Sturty6ers a few hours ago ..........

ONLY applies IF you mentor, coach and RUN them in actual games for some sort of decent minutes. Look what mark Williams unearthed last year.

Reply #177508 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

North by 40(Eastern may as well not even turn up!
South by 2 points (good to finally have ahome game round one and not against Centrals at the Starplex!) This rivalry has been a good one for years now and one that tends to lift South's performances!
Norwood by 30+
Centrals by 8, both teams very close but with Centrals having Reggie back and home ground advantage should get them over the line.
Forestville by 15, easily the better team and have had a pretty good pre season. Any sign of Pero yet people? (if he's playing I may change my tip! ;)

Reply #177541 | Report this post

bout time  
Years ago

#177508, good point, and they do so it is true! They blood all the guys that show promise and work their butts off at training. But for the guys that don't and or have bad attitudes do not get the opportunity!

Panther, spot on in your picks apart from South beating West. The bearcats should get this one. But i think the Rockets,Flames and Eagles will win by less than you beleive. Rockets by 20,Flames by 12 Eagles by 10.

Reply #177571 | Report this post

By "blood" I assume you mean "recruit over the top of"?

Reply #177575 | Report this post

ABL  
Years ago

Have just heard this, that Sapwell will be a Player/ Coach this year. can someone confirm?

Reply #177616 | Report this post

Reckon  
Years ago

Sapwell has been doing well over summer, the Flames are very light on playing stocks and Sapwell wont be doing the 6ers so will have more time on his hands.

Plus Todd Matthews coaches the team anyways so Sapwell is probably best playing, would not surprise me if he does suit up.

Reply #177627 | Report this post

transferred  
Years ago

the forestville juniors might do very well this season, playing for the Mavs

Reply #177630 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

They arn't juniors...they are players who have finished juniors, who are not good enough to break into the eagles team so they have gone to play for Eastern!

Reply #177639 | Report this post

They may be good enough if they weren't continually recruited over the top of...

Reply #177735 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

'where are the juniors?', i look at it the other way. If these juniors, or players who recently finished juniors were good enough then the coaches would not have to recruit. But they are given no choice because the majority of players coming thru just are not up to it and/or don't want to put in the effort required to get to the level they need to be.

Juniors seem to want a free ride into Abl teams these days. It's just crap! Abl is a very high standard of basketball and only the very best juniors get to have a crack at it...in the good clubs anyway.

'where are the juniors', I would like you to name these players who you think are not getting played enough.

Juniors have to earn the right to play Abl. It's not a matter of finishing juniors and then automatically getting a spot on the Abl side. If they are good enough they will play. Or if they show promise and have the right attitude they will be put in the squad and given a couple of years to see if they can improve their game. Now Foretville are a great example. Harry Harvey is good enough so he will be in the team this year. How much he plays is up to him..he is young and needs to earn courtime by working hard and training and playing well. The eagles also have some guys who show promise, and are working hard. These guys are in the squad and hopefully will grow into good enough players in the next couple of years but really are not ABL ready yet. Of course a couple of these players didn't want to wait so they have changed clubs....that happens. Some players like to take the easy road to getting minutes. Either that or they thought that they would never be good enough to break into the Forestviile team, and so might as well get out now and play for a weaker club who is desperate for players. Thats their decision.

Reply #177757 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Totally agree "Duh", kids these days just expect to rock up and get an ABL game. I would say that generally only two under 20's will be in a teams 10 player roster each year. You would need to be pretty special to log major minutes in your first year. Yet they feel hard done by. There are not that many players that end up moving for more minutes that end up being quality players so I don't think Andy would be too fazed. Looking at those two players that left, they only finished under 20's last season so to leave after only one year is pretty pathetic and to be honest why would you try and keep them if that's their attitude!

Reply #177801 | Report this post

If these juniors, or players who recently finished juniors were good enough then the coaches would not have to recruit.

I guess the coaches don't hold their junior program in very high regard then!

Reply #177809 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

'Where are the juniors'....I think that is a very fair statment.

Reply #177855 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

But I think that"s the point...they are not good enough...You can't make a biscuit out of a dog!

Reply #177861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #177868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's NOT just ABL, try getting less than 5 minutes in a whole game of reserves, IF you even get asked to play after training and that is the only chance for a game!

Reply #177874 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

Once again, in answer to post #177874, if they are good enough they will play! how hard is that to understand. If they are only getting 5 mins in reserves and/or not even getting picked then there are obviously quite a few people in front of them due to their lack of talent, bad attitude or poor work rate!!!!!!

Reply #177938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

..or the fact the club continually recruits over the top of them.

Reply #177970 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

...because they are not good enough!

Reply #177977 | Report this post

DC  
Years ago

duh, panther, you have both given me something to prove this year. but unless you are both experts on my game i doubt you can say im not good enough before the season has started..

Reply #178342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

duh , you are full of sxxt. Read between the lines to understand wtf is going on!

Panther, at least you and your guys are seemingly giving a fair bit of game time to your up and coming youth. Are they good enough? Yet to be seen, but well done.

Reply #178350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you seem to be missing the point.

The Central ABL should be a second tier comptition to the NBL and locally the Adelaide 36ers.

The Central ABL should not be like a Division One junior competition, it should (and used to be) so much more then that.

I still remember the days when every Adelaide 36er played in the local league, when clubs played with US imports (some had two), when high profile athletes used to travel from Interstate to play in our league.

Fact is right now the standard of basketball being played in the Central ABL is pretty poor and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

Obviously the clubs in SA due to our inadequate structure in Adelaide do not have the means to grow the ABL and in years to come IMO every Division One junior will get the chance to play at ABL level, but IMO that should not be the case. ABL should be for the Elite, and by that I don't mean Division One Juniors, I mean the actually Elite of those playing the game at Senior level.

DC, anons and the rest of you that want and expected Div 1 juniors to get a chance for big minutes at this level needed worry, it's happening at some clubs already and the way the game is going here, those opportunities will continue to grow. I just don't believe that's necessarily a good thing as the easier it is to find a spot in the league, the weaker the league must be.

Reply #178352 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

DC, i'm pretty sure I have seen you play a few times before, so don't be so quick to judge. But saying that mate, I hope you do strive by getting more court time. There's nothing better than seeing continual improvement from juniors and showing your former club they made a mistake letting you go. Good luck for the up and coming season.

Reply #178358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#352.
Every sport evolves or should which suggests that juniors playing in todays U 14's will be better than their predecessors by the time they travel thru the system just thru the advancement of techniques , better skills transference etc.
Nothing stays the same and most comps in every sport were once stronger but changes at the elite level changed the roles of these once strong comps to present standards.
Remember the ABl is an amateur comp that is fighting to attract both players and an audience and everyone should be hoping juniors take that step towards it or where do you get your player base from?
Not every junior will be better than existing players, but get used to it and welcome the fact that many will be.

Reply #178365 | Report this post

duh  
Years ago

#178350. You say well done to the Panthers for playing the youth...not sure what youth you are talking about.I would think that Forestville would have as many young blokes playing as South.The only young bloke who was playing minutes for them last year is Mckensie, and correct me if I 'm wrong, but he wasn't a junior! Forestville had Fildes, Harvey both getting good minutes last year with Wornham and Grigg in the 12....all juniors! This year they have unfortunatley lost Fildes and Wornham to college, but Harvey is in the 10, with a couple other juniors rounding out the 12.

Also, the eagles played over 20 blokes in the div 1 summer season and have the biggest abl squad going around because they have just about all under 20's out training in order to get them to improve so maybe they might get to the level required to play Abl.

Not too sure wat else people want them to do. They are not exactly gonna say, 'sorry Mr Oakley and Mr Pero, but we don't want you to play for us this year because we want to give all your court time to Matt de Cure because he was a forestville junior who is an okay reserves player!'

Gimme a break people....

Reply #178429 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:54 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754