Anonymous
Years ago

Funny Kersten signs with Adelaide

Ryan Kersten has agreed to terms with the Adelaide 36ers.

Kersten will sever ties with the NZ Breakers on Monday after the announcement of the Breakers gun siging of CJ Bruton.

Another great SA pick up by Ninnis, well done.

Wonder what Ryan Kersten for MVP thinks about that?

Topic #15597 | Report this topic

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

Great news to see ANOTHER SA boy fly home!
Ryan is not listed on the points system. Why is that? Will we have enough points up our sleeve for Julius?

Reply #183934 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

PS Does this mean the final nail in the coffin of Sutts at the sixers?

Reply #183935 | Report this post

Allen Shore  
Years ago

To quote Bruce Palmer, Matt Sutton should start "working on his car washing skills."

Davidson/Kersten
Maher/Hill/Burdon
Holmes/????
Ballinger/????/Dodman
Schensher/Cooper

Import (Hodge) or maybe Newley people?

Cheap points cap Aussie, Andrew Rice?

Reply #183936 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

If correct a Very good pick up by the sixers and good to see that they are setting the foundation for sustained success . Kersten is at best a future starting PG for the team and at worst a solid backup and who better for him to learn from than Maher and Davidson .

DAVIDSON / KERSTEN
import / MAHER
HOLMES / HILL
BALLINGER /
SCHENSCHER / COOPER

Leaves us needing a Hodge , Dave Thomas or Ere caliber player .

Reply #183938 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah that is an excellent signing. Great work by Ninnis so far! It is good to see finally a Coach that makes an effort in the off season. Someone who actually appreciates their job!

Reply #183947 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ninnis has done a superb job.

Great to see some SA people in our team, which hasn't happened for a while.

I just want an exciting athletic import in this team now to cap it off for me. Of course I'm hoping for Hodge.

I reckon I'll be renewing my season tickets now courtesy of all these changes.

Reply #183950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does everyone think this is a good signing just because he is a SA boy. He didnt do much at college ( and please dont quote illness) and he didnt do much with NZ (appeared to be missing in action) so why ?
His style of game hasnt changed at all from junior days, still very much a left handed who will always bring the ball up the side lines. He use to have a mean 3 but havent seen any evidence of it at this level and doesnt work hard without the ball.

Reply #183960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a devpt player in NZ u tool.

Reply #183970 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I say it's a good signing...

Hope we can get Hodge or Dave Thomas as our other import

Reply #183972 | Report this post

Z town  
Years ago

I personally thought Zorich would have been a much better option.

Reply #183974 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The reason it is a good signing is because he is a pure point guard which we lack. Davidson is similar but he is more of a shoot first past second point guard. At least we can bring him off the bench and he can provide control in that position unlike Sutton, Ng or Burdon.

Reply #183978 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Anyone seen the correlation between the number of SA boys that Smyth lost to how many are returning to play under Ninnis? He is not an nbl ready player in my opinion (Kersten) but he will be in the future so is a very good pickup for the sixers.

Reply #183985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does this mean north's abl team will be even stronger now?

Reply #183987 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i'm sure ninnis helps but it also helps that holmes etc was out of contract, kersten with the NZ PG situation, and luke really has been a project of phil and the club. I'm just happy the side is looking good and the majority of fans seem happy.

Reply #183988 | Report this post

Years ago

"luke really has been a project of phil and the club"

How so? By wanting him to come?... anyone can wish... it takes a real coach with passion to make it happen.

Reply #183997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joshuapending thats one of the most ridiculous things u have said.....and thats saying something.

Reply #183998 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

really? i got the impression that they have been trying to get him for a while, calls etc i don't mean they have been doing anything more than that. They have just been constantly showing interest. You cant say ninnis has got his signature just out of the blue, they have shown their interest over time and now he has chosen to sign. Also i don't think i have really made any huge ridiculous statements in the past. I'm all for ninnis, just dont think you can say it was him alone that got luke to sign.

Reply #184008 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#183987, he was present at last year's grand final but not allowed to play. What does that tell you?

Reply #184010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, he was allowed to play but the coach didnt think they needed him.

Reply #184017 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Just wondering if Kersten is so good why are New Zealand letting him go.Holmes wanted out of the Dragons and wasnt wanted by them he was talkin with the club mid season and was happy to come back regardless of who was coaching.Not saying Ninnis is not doing a good job but give credit when credit is due.Bauer was the man talking to Holmes way before the season was over.

Reply #184019 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

I tend to think that most of you are getting carried away with this signing and others. The side is currently solid, but not fantastic. The 36ers are still a quality import away from being a real contender. Kersten isnt a great player, Holmes just plays a role, Davidson & Maher arent what they used to be. Dont get me wrong, they are still ok; its just that the 36ers need more. Not trying to be negaive about things, just putting things in perspective. Thoughts people?

Reply #184020 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

bron, I have also failed to get excited about the team so far. So much congratulations and compliments to Ninnis and what he has achieved and yet we haven't played a single game yet. I would rather reserve my judgement until the season progresses sufficiently to see how the team goes on court. I look at the recruitment of the 2 Melbourne teams and even New Zealand and think to myself how average we really look. Even if Hodge returns to this team, we still don't have that much of an improvement over the last season's team after Hodge came in. That may be enough for us as we were looking pretty strong towards the end, but then the Tigers who are the reigning champions are looking even stronger still. If you break down the good that Ninnis has done, what do you have? He has managed to retain Ballinger (there was a strong indication that he would have re signed before Ninnis took over the head coaching position). Maher, Cooper and Davidson still had another year. He has signed Holmes (I believe he was no longer wanted at Dragons). He signed Schenscher, he was sought after long before Ninnis became Head Coach. I didn't exactly see anything in the media saying Schenscher had given up a lucrative NBA deal to come and play for Adelaide so perhaps the timing was right. I also believe he has an NBA outclause which for now is as good as Newley was for us this time last year. He has signed Hill and Kersten (hardly exciting news).

Reply #184023 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

So you don't think replacing Motram with Luke is a big improvement????
How about Copeland with Holmes?????
Losing NG is bad but it depends on how Hill and Kersten play.

If they can sign a top level (for the NBL) import then I think they are much better then last years team.

Reply #184036 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

EC, seriously, who do you want us to sign? We've resigned our MVP, brought home a fringe Boomer (who on his worst night will still give great defence and rebounding), and brought back two young reserves who will contribute SOMETHING, and even if they don't they cost stuff all in terms of $ and points. Added to that, we have signed a ex-NBA centre, and are doing everything possible to bring back an import who made us a completely different team last season. If Hodge prices himself out of the market, then there is very little that can be done. And if it isn't Hodge, then it will be someone else, and rest assured, this coach (unlike the previous one) will actually bother to MEET with the player before signing him, thus giving him the opportunity to watch a guy walk 5 feet, which in Chappell's case would have made his back problem most apparent.

I'll admit to being historically one of the most critical people on here, but I can at least offer some suggestions at to what I would do as alternatives. What is your idea? Who would you be going after? And finally, does "EC" stand for "Eyes Closed"?

Reply #184037 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Wait for a verdict on big Luke - flip or flop. Can see an injury coming if not doing too well.

Reply #184041 | Report this post

WOW!i can see what ninnis was thinkin hodge or Kersten...Picked the better all round player. He can shoot. love hodge tho.Starting point would you agree???

Reply #184042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with you Mutley

Reply #184051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koby

Reply #184055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy couldn't even get on the court in the ABL grand final, and his current SEABL team hasn't won a game!

Unfortunately people seem to think that just because players are from SA then they are a good pick up but I think that Holmes, Hill and Kersten are going to be the worst thing to happen to the sixers in a very long time. What if Maher is injured, our guards will be Davidson, Hill and Kersten.....no finals for us!

Reply #184064 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

comes back to a classic argument that was running last year

DAMNED IF YOU DO! DAMNED IF YOU DONT

go back 12 months ago, everyone was condeming the old coaches for not recruiting/letting go local players,

MANY who have now been signed/returned.

fast forward 12 months new coach who recruits these players and he gets crucified for doing it.

again

DAMNED IF YOU DO! DAMNED IF YOU DONT!

Reply #184075 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Mutley, EC stands for Extremely Cautious. Cautious about signing injury prone players, cautious about signing players with NBA or Europe outclauses, cautious about signing players that have failed to impress me, cautious about signing whatever is available from the bargain basement, cautious about being blinded to the fact that if he is South Australian he must be good.

We all went through this same excitement this time last year. Excited about signing Newley with an outclause that saw him going to Europe, excited about signing Chapell only to find he was injured before he even started playing and never came good. Everyone was congratulating the club on the good work they did in the off season (myself included). Well guess what? It looks just the same one year later.

Aussieballer, Luke is a great replacement for Motteram provided he stays with the team and stays healthy. Holmes is a better alternative to Copeland. As for Hill and Kersten, put together they are half the player Ng is.

As for who I would like to see join the 36ers, CJ would have been a good pick as the starting PG, Gibson would also have been valuable. I know financially CJ would have been out of reach. If the 36ers were not so actively seeking Hodge with no guarantee whatsoever, I would be filling the import spot with Rychart. He is still a free agent and available. He left Adelaide with a season average of 21 & 10. He has a great work ethic and works hard to get his points. Last year's Woolacott medalist. Multiple NBL player of the week, also achieved player of the month whilst with Adelaide. He loves it here. His pending citizenship together with Ballinger means in future we have room for another 2 imports. I don't know how much more selling one has to do.

Reply #184076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC he plays the same position as ballinger u cant afford to hav him coming off the bench and ballinger is far better than dusty

Reply #184082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Australians love to see local players on our teams and expect success.

It's very hard to do that, and if we just win, you get a Sydney type crowd but if we win and with locals, we get much better support.

We have Schenscher, Holmes, Maher, Hill along with Ballinger, Cooper, Davidson. That is a pretty impressive job, especially if we can capture Hodge's signature.

Adelaide SHOULD have had Ingles and Newley but unfortunately the 36ers missed out. Considering those two are else where, these are the best South Australians in the league, mixed with Ballinger, an MVP candidate, Hodge, 3 consecutive player of the week awards in 5 weeks and Davidson, huge improvement last year and great on court leader, makes a pretty good team makeup.

Guys like Mackinnon and Bruton demand $400k+ and it is not worth the financial risk. Who says you need a team of stars to be a star team? Most of the 36ers have played together so they shouldn't have chemistry problems. Sixers have the talent to go all the way so i wouldn't complain about not getting players like Bruton or for signing guys like Kersten instead of an interstate alternatives.

Reply #184089 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Starters can change from one game to another. Let them share the role. Alternating these 2 players on court means you always have a heavy duty scorer out there.

Reply #184091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha EC you are suggesting you can hav ballinger and Dusty playin the PF role one backing up the other hahahah these guys are 40 min a game players not 20 mins a game

Reply #184094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Schenscher/Cooper
F Ballinger/Rychart
F Holmes/Hill
G Maher/Burdon
G Davidson/Kersten

Reply #184096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just expanding of my post, that team would lack a scoring/driving guard.

#184094: I think both Rychart and Ballinger would get around 36 mins+ each. Sixers would have an extra big on court sometimes maybe.

It would certainly make it VERY hard to rebound and drive against that team.

Reply #184098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Burning two import spots on two guys sharing a PF role (when Ballinger should rightfully play 35+ MPG there) is a ridiculous idea.

I was waiting for someone to troll you with how you'd only be happy if Dusty was in the team, and then you did it yourself!

Schenscher should be an upgrade on Mottram. Holmes beats Chappell. Hill will give us a similar spark to Copeland. Kersten tops Sutton. And that still leaves an import to beat Ng, and someone to replace Dench.

Reply #184127 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think that bringing in a second import PF when we have a suspect backcourt that needs propping up would have to be like shooting yourself in the foot.

Bring in a swinging SG/SF import and a cheap backup PF and you have a team. Luckily, that is exactly what the Sixers appear to be doing.

When it comes down to it, every team in the league has to make a bit of a gamble with their 9th and 10th men, and someone like Kersten appears at least well suited to make such a gamble on.

Last year with NZ:

15 Games
9 mpg
51% shooting
1.87 apg
3.13 ppg

Not bad for limited minutes.

As in all sports in Australia, the players being 'local' can only be a good thing, as it is an added incentive to players to stay with that club, possibly for less money. Just look at the AFL where clubs draft interstate players who all go home after a few seasons just when they starting to produce.

As far as I can see it, the fact that Kersten happens to come from Adelaide does not come into the equation with his on court performance, but for me ticks another box for the administration in relation to the long term development and forward planning for the team.

Reply #184141 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they may have more points to spend on a back-up PF than many think, but I don't know that there's much out there to choose from. Limited rookie prospects, mid-rangers like Dench, Mottram and Oakley, and then not much above that (assuming Vanderjagt wants to be in Brisbane and Cameron wants to be in Melbourne).

Reply #184150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti says that Brisbane are looking for two new imports. Dusty unlikely to be at Brisbane next year unless he gets his citisenship before the start of the season.

As much as i would love to see Dusty back here pairing up with Ballinger, we have Schenscher and we really need an import guard. 36ers are negotiating with Hodge still.

Reply #184153 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I don't have to be apologetic for what I say re Rychart when I back it up with so many facts about his worth. What would you like me to say?

Sorry that his season average when he left the 36ers was 21-10.

Sorry he has won multiple Player of the Week awards

Sorry he won a Player of the Month award whilst with Adelaide

Sorry he has a great work ethic and works hard to get his points.

Sorry that he has applied for Australian Citizenship which would then free up an import spot

Sorry that he was the best CABL player last year

Sorry that he gave Adelaide more than 3 good years of solid performances.

What other reason would I possibly have to put his name forward as a good pick up in Adelaide? What other reason do I really need?

Reply #184255 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

No doubt dusty was a great player, but with Schenscher, Ballinger and Holmes all signed and going to be playing big minutes, we dont need a player of his position, he is good enough but we need a guard not another Forward, if we say had missed out on Ballinger or Schenscher i would have been more than happy to see Dusty back as he would fill a need, but no point wasting a import spot on Dusty with the other 3 signed. I think the import spot needs to go on Hodge or a tall veratile guard if we cant get Hodge, someone like Hodge or Tucker, but not Tucker himself, but someone who plays like them would be ideal if we cant get Hodge.
I also saw on the NBL transaction tracker thing earlier today Cattalini is still a free agent, he is not a import so if we have the points/cash required i think he should be worth a look to either back up SF/PF or start and move either Holmes or Schenscher to the bench.

Reply #184257 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

EC, I don't think Isaac is asking you to be sorry. He is merely pointing out that we don't need Dusty because we have a superior player already signed in Ballinger playing at the same position in the power forward spot. Signing Dusty would be a completely ridiculous idea.

As others have stated the second import position needs to go to either a swingman like Hodge or a guard who has a reliable outside jumper and is solid on the perimeter defensively.

Reply #184264 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Rat10, this is what I was critical about "I was waiting for someone to troll you with how you'd only be happy if Dusty was in the team, and then you did it yourself!" It bothered me because it completely ignored my reasoning as to why Rychart would be a good pick up and suggested the only reason I posted on this topic was because I would only be happy if he joined the team. As it was no one did troll me beforehand, nor did I expect them to. It was uncalled for as that sort of comment was not warranted under the circumstances.

I know we have Ballinger in the same position but still feel that Rychart's contribution in both scoring and rebounding would be very useful. I like the position it puts us in once he naturalises. I can't see why both cannot enjoy major minutes on court. There are still 2 positions available so there is still an opportunity to pick up a decent guard. If this can be achieved with an Australian player, then it works. If not, pick up a development guard from the ABL or AIS or interstate state league until Rychart or Ballinger naturalises (whoever comes first), then look to replace the guard position with an import. It may not be the ideal situation in the beginning, but then it seems the team is going through a building stage right now anyway.

Reply #184277 | Report this post

RestrainingOrder  
Years ago

Hmmm, good argument EC. You forgot to mention another advantage to signing Dusty would be that it would make him much easier to stalk !!!

Reply #184278 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where are you going to find minutes for Dusty? Say Coops plays 25 minutes, and Schensch plays 30. Coops and Holmes overlap to take the 8-10 minutes at PF that Ballinger is off the court. Holmes will play 35 MPG like last year. Hill would get 10-15 backing him up if he's still got it.

Then you'll have Davidson (maybe 32 MPG) and an import (38) taking 70 of 96 minutes from the guard spots. 20 minutes for Maher and 5-10 for Kersten. In reality, the import would probably spend some time at SF and Maher would play for more than 20 MPG.

Where are you going to find 30 minutes for Dusty? How can you justify giving him a solid salary for a guy who could even come off the bench? And given that he and Ballinger would use both import spots, do you really want to run Maher yet again for 30 minutes starting at SG or give significant minutes to Hill (an idea which I doubt you'd like given that you had doubts over his signing).

I'm not saying Dusty isn't a useful player (I've been pestering Wollongong telling them to get him), just that there is no room for him here and I can't see that changing while there are long-term plans to retain Holmes and Ballinger, or unless he wants to sign for $50k.

Reply #184287 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I can't help feeling his minutes on the court would be more productive than Holmes'. I would not be giving as many to Holmes nor Schehscher when you have a prolific scorer like that. I would also cut Cooper's minutes as well. Schenscher also has his eyes on the NBL. With an outclause, we have not really got him for sure. After all these arguments, they were only intended in case Hodge does not come back and an import spot is available.

Reply #184452 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Oops, Schenscher also has his eyes on the NBA.

Reply #184453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Rychart delivers better stats per minute on court but Holmes doesn't take an import spot and is already signed. Unless Ballinger naturalises, I can't see them fitting Dusty in.

Reply #184473 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As Boti and EC mention, both nearing naturalisation.
Adam and Dusty, that is. With the dates being vague, makes an interesting process to follow.

Reply #184481 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If Ballinger or Dusty were to naturalise i would love us to bring dusty in, aswell as hodge or a import guard.
I would be more than happy to say have Dusty repace cooper and play 20-30 mins in the pf/c rotation, im not sure if either Dusty or Ballinger would be athletic enough to play too much at SF so if we were to bring him in id say either he or Schenscher would have to come off the bench,would either of those guys be happy with that??
How ever if it were possible id love to see a team of

C Schencher/Rookie or Dodman
PF Ballinger/Rychart (also playin mins in C and maybe SF if he can prove to be quick enough to defend them)
SF Holmes/Hill
SG Hodge (also plays mins in PG and SF)/Maher
PG Davidson/Kersten

I think that team would be ideal, and would come close to fitting under the points cap too, but would require either Ballinger or Rychart to be naturalised as we cant have 3 imports obviously, and if both natturalise in the next year or 2 it gives us some exciting prospects and would mean we could replace Davidson and or Maher with an import when they decide to retire.

Reply #184484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754