Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Players donating to Tsunami relief

I'm sure you've heard by now about the likes of Kobe Bryant, Stephon Marbury and a host of others donating $1,000 per point scored on a certain night to the relief efforts.

Well, when I first read that, I wasn't sure if I was impressed or not. $30,000 is a lot of money but in terms of Kobe Bryant dollars, is it really?

Well, check out the contribution of one Michael Schumacher. Sure, he makes $80 million a year, but he has donated $10 million up front. That is a donation from a true superstar.

Try again Kobe - your #8 jersey is no longer in the top 50 sold in the NBA (believe it or not!) and even this won't help restore your sliding popularity (or lack of!).

Topic #1592 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I read on Jalen Rose's site recently that he donates $50 per assist (or something like that) to various charities. Nice idea.

Reply #18227 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Maybe Kobe could have added another 2 zeros and that would have been a bit more respectable. Schumacher donated so much because his body guard died in the Tsunami.Fantastic donation.

Reply #18233 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Something is better than nothing, it may not be a huge as 10mil but if more players in ALL american/euro leagues were putting in 30K the grand total would be a lot more.

Agreed though he could afford more without making a dent in his acc

Reply #18244 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Jermaine O'Neal has put up $55,000 and Jalen Rose is donating what ever his higest point total is aswell

Reply #18248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn moses, its their money wtf are u to judge. DAMN!

Reply #18255 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Love those anonymous posts.

Is "wtf" an abbreviation for the "World Trade Fund"?

Anyway, who am I to judge? Well, there's something to be said about the contributions of ordinary folk like you and I, compared to that of multi-millionaires. Don't know about you, but $30000 would break my bank. To Kobe ..... well, can you break a $100000 note?

I'm not judging, just pointing out the facts and you can make your own mind up about how you feel about it.

As for Kobe as a human being etc (besides the Tsunami), he's behaved like a spoilt little prat the past 12 months. Enough said.

Reply #18260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"wtf" = who the "expletive"!

And I have directly contributed $2.00 no more, no less but I have a lot more in the bank. PRobably contibuted alot more than that through per capita contibution the government decided to make on my behalf. Each to their own I say.

Why doesnt every one with a few million have to contribute $500K?? Just because these guys get paid for playing sport because some1 is prepared to pay them and pay to see them etc. doesnt mean they have to give have their wealth to every damn disaster.

Reply #18270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

moses u fkn donate 30,000 odd dollars then whinge about kobe donatng 30 000

Reply #18272 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anonymous,

Maybe I already did? You don't know what I do for the community and charity work. Perhaps I even work in that area full-time?

Reply #19833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754