Jamal
Years ago

TAIPANS GET DAVE THOMAS

The Taipans are 8/9 deep now!! look out for them. Despite liking the 13 team league, what the demise of 2 teams has done, has meant that the 11 teams in the league have more quality, which SHOULD result in a more balanced competition. Though West Sydney (unless they get 2 gun imports) will still be shithouse

Topic #16361 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a quality pick up- is DT actually confirmed to the Taipans?
I thought he wanted to stay in the US with his family.
Why did he leave the Tigers anyway?

Reply #192746 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

DT IS ALL CLASS

Reply #192747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

adelaide will be about 5th i think cairns melb dragons anf perth looking insane

Reply #192748 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Thats a BIG surprise. Makes the sixers job even harder to secure Hodge if the unexpected happens and he comes back to Australia.

Reply #192751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the talent is definitely too stretched over 13 teams. There were 3 teams with basically no talent: Wollongong, West Sydney and Singapore. Now teams are much deeper and everyone will have a deep roster and be competitive except Razorbacks unless they sign some guns like Jamal said. Don't think they have enough cash to lure any stars tho. Rob Beverage said they didn't have enough cash to offer Devries (or whatever his name is) and he solid but wouldn't be charging top dollar.

"Makes the sixers job even harder to secure Hodge if the unexpected happens and he comes back to Australia." - What? Why?

"DT IS ALL CLASS" - What are you trying to say Mookie or is just a random comment?

Reply #192756 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Melbourne made no secret that if Thomas chose not to return from the states then Hodge would be the prime target for them.

Reply #192757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh right. make sense now.

Reply #192759 | Report this post

Jamal  
Years ago

yer, pretty certain razors for wooden spoon unless bevo can pull off a minor miracle!

Reply #192761 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

awww DT was like my favourite player at the tigers

At least he won 2 championships before he's leaving

Reply #192764 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Wow! I'm shocked @ this news. Taipans do look strong with DT though.

So much for the retirement or living in the USA.

Glad to have him remain in Aussie land.

Reply #192772 | Report this post

DR  
Years ago

No way, not buying this.

Reply #192777 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The NBL website, Taipans site and 2 other forums I've skimmed over have no mention of DT going to the Taipans.

Is this some rumor column in the local paper or something?

#192748: Keep in mind the Taipans looked insane LAST season and they just scrapped in.

Reply #192780 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I seen the report on the 'Gaze' group of Facebook too.

Reply #192791 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Press release as posted on OzHoops

SKYTRANS CAIRNS TAIPANS SIGN THOMAS!

The Skytrans Cairns Taipans have today announced a significant signing of former Melbourne Tigers star import Dave Thomas to the club for the 2008/2009 season.

The signing of Thomas is a major coup for the club and takes the Taipans roster to 10 contracted players for the season. The club expects to announce its final development spot and a potential 11th player to finalise the full roster in the coming week.

Thomas; a Canadian International has been a star with the Melbourne Tigers and instrumental in their Grand Final series win over Sydney last season and adds significant depth to a talented Skytrans Cairns Taipans lineup. Thomas who is captain of the Canadian National Basketball Team is currently in camp with the squad, aiming to qualify for the Beijing Olympics.

According to Skytrans Cairns Taipans head coach Alan Black the signing was a major one for the club;
"Dave Thomas is a proven performer in the league and has been one of the top imports in the competition over the past six seasons. He brings championship winning experience to the club and is just a flat out great player, a real competitor and regarded as one of the best imports in the league. He is athletic, can shoot the ball well and is a great defender. He was outstanding last season and we are looking forward to getting him on court as soon as his national team commitments are finished for pre-season training."

Reply #192794 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Sigh @ the Melbourne / Hodge rumours.

They grandstand more than any other team in the NBL, they always have done (although South is giving them a run for their money this season). Believe Melbourne signings when you see them.

Reply #192799 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

It's now on the NBL website. His signing gives them the following playing roster:-

CAIRNS TAIPANS PLAYING ROSTER

#21 Larry Abney
#20 Gary Boodnikoff
#31 Stephen Black
#13 Darnell Mee
#8 Aaron Grabau
#6 Martin Cattalini
#5 Scott Cook
#4 Dwayne Vale
#11 Ian Crosswhite
Dave Thomas

Reply #192805 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Also confirmed on the Taipans web site.

Great signing. This team is looking strong.

They'll be entertaining to watch and can't wait til they visit The Dome.

Reply #192815 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Taipans got a gem. he has to be the most well rounded import in the league. not to mention the most unselfish to.

Dragons
Perth
Tigers
Breakers
Taipans
Crocs
Gold Coast
6ers
Hawks
Razorbacks
Thats how i see i at the moment.

Reply #192839 | Report this post

Jamal  
Years ago

Uncle Jamal has come through again!! I have very good sources!! ie- the wildcats uniform will be by hoop 2 hoop and have a wildcat face on iT!!!! TRUST ME HOOOPERS!

Reply #192840 | Report this post

not a bad line up  
Years ago

how does team team points add up with that line-up not to mention the cele$y cap

The pressure is on Allan!

Must win Championship line up for sure

Reply #192854 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So, why couldn't we have grabbed him?

Reply #192860 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Don't everyone go and get their knickers in a knot over this signing. Let's remember that before last season Cairns were widely tipped to win the whole show, then the season came around and they didn't get close to challenging.

Let's have a look at their roster:
1. They've replaced Jawai with Crosswhite (that's a big subtraction),
2. Mee - what 37-38 now?
3. Abney - had a VERY disappointing season last year
4. DT - Injured a lot and also very disappointing for much of the season, his shots just weren't falling
5. Cat - still a gun, but like Mee, he's gonna be heading off to bingo nite at the retirement village soon
6. Boodnikoff - has had ONE good season in his entire career
7. Cook - showed a lot of promise last year, and will likely have to play 20-25 mpg given Mee's ages
8. Vale - kid can light it up, but if I'm not mistaken, he's tiny

Who am I forgetting ... oh Black, that douchebag, is there a more selfish player in this league, outside of Sir Shane?

Now I might be wrong, but there's a lot of if's surrounding this team, and Jawai's loss is such a big one, I just can't see them being any better than 5th-6th or so.

Reply #192876 | Report this post

Hook Shot  
Years ago

The Taipans whole season will boil down to fitness levels.If Dads army holds up they'll be in the top 3.
If it doesn't they be 6- 8 at best.

Reply #192971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754