EC
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets "Obituary"

Has anyone seen the home page of the Brisbane Bullets website? There's a message there saying -

"A big thank you to the Bullets Family for your support over the last 30 years." Then has the Bullets logo and underneath it says "1978-2008".

It looks like a death notice. The dates 1978-2008 make it sound like the end and that the Bullets are dead and buried. Its a shocking notice because there is every opportunity to bring this club back to life in the years to come. For all the fans, I wonder if they are thinking that they have lost their beloved team forever.

Topic #16364 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like the Bullets and very sad they have folded. The other concern is the kids playing junior basketball there and can't dream of the Bullets anymore.

It feels strange and empty without a Brisbane team.

Reply #192789 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Bullets demise is extremely sad and hope they can return in a re vamped comp. I can remember going up to games at Boondal where they used to get 10 k supporters going with the band up in the stands etc. full on atmosphere. Whilst last few years were at much much smaller stadium it was great games to see Sixers play the Bullets at .

Reply #192803 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

At least they still have a website.
Kings one seems to be gone.
Another unpaid bill ?

Reply #192822 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

As a Cats fan and a basketball fan, i feel the current debacle is a very sad state of affairs right now. when a foundation team of our league has such a dramatic demise, points to one thing. basketball in our country is not in the best shape.

You look at the youngsters these days. 5 years ago, basketball was right up there with Aussie rules in there sport of choice. now soccer and Rugby has left us in there dust. we need to rethink how the game is being promoted.

Reply #192843 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

As a Cats fan and a basketball fan, i feel the current debacle is a very sad state of affairs right now. when a foundation team of our league has such a dramatic demise, points to one thing. basketball in our country is not in the best shape.

You look at the youngsters these days. 5 years ago, basketball was right up there with Aussie rules in there sport of choice. now soccer and Rugby has left us in there dust. we need to rethink how the game is being promoted.

Reply #192844 | Report this post

Jamal  
Years ago

the bullets site don't even work no more. nbl has taken the links off their site also!

Reply #192847 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

very sad to see the demise of a team that was a great competitor.

I hold grave fears for the NBL.

Reply #192882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't looked at the Bullets site since Mon night when the thankyou got put up by Narelle & Co.
I dunno about the obituary theme- seemed more like a thankyou and a see you later rather than goodbye.
I hope we can get relaunched the season after but everyone is starting to realise just how much money it takes to run a club to the NBL's satisfaction and the disappointment from fans and non fans over prominent businesses not coming thru is heavy in the air.
Most fans aren't coping well- myself included..

Reply #192895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to be sad about.
The league now has 11 teams with stronger benches as a result.Brisbane don't want a team in WNBL now their cash cow has dried up in the NBL and there are gone.

Reply #192970 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#192970, "Nothing to be sad about". That may be your opinion but certainly not that of the 4,000 or so fans of the Bullets. They brought a lot of excitement and enthusiasm to the games. I would hate to be in their position right now. When I see comments like this, I have to wonder about just how qualified people are to make them. You are obviously not a fan but also sounds like you have never been to a Bullets game in Brisbane as you would no doubt have seen that there are fans who were passionate about their team. I hope the Brisbane Bullets will be revived in the very near future because many are suffering the loss at the moment.

Reply #192984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duly noted #192970.
Let me know your favourite team so that when they fold, I can spit on you while you're on fire.
Seriously, your insensitivity shows you were probably dropped on your head several times as a baby if that's your attitude.

Reply #193103 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Shame to see Bullets fold,a mate and I had been season tickets holders the last 4 years, had good seats that were very close to the court. Nbl is to blame for the demise of the bullets , should have done more to find a serious owner, not someone that pulls out when they don't like what they see or change there mind. That david kemp better not show his face in brisbane again, useless. Kerle was doing a good job to recruit, we had joey signed up, gibson & hill stayed put. Hopefully they will be back in the new season if the Nbl is still around and hasn't also died since there is other clubs that are still struggling with finaces. Only time will tell if the club will re emerge and the Nbl goes on, it did take goldcoast 10 years before they had a club again if that is something to go on. I won't be watching any Nbl this season even though i have foxtel, just not the same with out my fav club. The Nbl needs to promote basketball better in oz, more promo, players going to schools, signings, fan days etc..
doesn't take a lot of money, keep ticket prices down unlike Nrl which a rip off these days.

Reply #202825 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why is it the NBL's fault that no one in Brisbane cared enough or thought the Bullets were viable enough to buy them? Also, bit harsh calling Kemp useless - he had a major sponsor withdraw that severely impact the budgeting - better to withdraw then than struggle through part of a season and kill it then.

Reply #202838 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

To the last post on this topic by Isaac,
get your facts right mate about David Kemp, virgin
blue had been the sponsor for the Brisbane Bullets only for 1 season 07/08 season , i know this and
i was even buying the team. He knew that the major
sponsor had only signed on for 1 season, as Eddy
groves said he made a poor attempt at trying to find
a replacement sponsor, how f**king hard can it be?
piss poor excuse to get out of the transaction due
to finacial reasons, why buy the team in the first
place? how does this guy survives in business? he
should just stick to womens basketball and shop fitting.
For that matter mens basketball is dead in this country, add womens aswell, non-exsisitant television coverage, no one know's when games are
on or really no one cares. Foxtel didn't even want to cover the NBL as seen in the programing of games for this season. Rugby League, Soccer, Union, Afl when in season, Golf even, American football, Baseball get prefenece over the sport.
Ask someone on the street if they can name an NBL player, they will prob say is Gaze still playing?

Nbl is offically dead and basketball for all that.

Very sad from an avid basketball fan myself. I know more about the NBA then the NBL and you'd find most kids know nba players as the likes of
Kobe, Lebron, Melo , Wade etc..

Reply #206565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its 'fans' like you Mark that we really dont need at this time. How about instead of just shitcanning the whole sport you actually do some supporting instead?
Or are you all about what YOU can get out of it and if you dont see that you will get a great deal you just wander off to do something else. Theres more to SUPPORTING a team/club/sport that just turning up when things are rosy - your fair weather attitude probably has David Kemp wondering why he even contemplated bailing out the Bullets.
I just hope that 'fans' like you are in the minority or the Bullets are even further behind the 8 ball than we all think!

Reply #206570 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Mark, you clearly don't have the brains to buy the Bullets, much less having been part of the negotiation.
you wouldn't have got a foot in the door with Narelle and Co with an attitude like that, so save your lies for some other forum!
The Bullets are making progress with their goal thus far and are in the process of selecting a working party to develop strategies.
For Bullets fans, don't despair- they are being as productive as they can be within a short space of time to focus on getting back on track.
Whn you said that you knew more about NBA than NBL, you sure as s**t weren't kidding.

Reply #206572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Mark meant to actually type that he 'wasn't actually buying the team' but I agree Haha, his comments are quite defeatist and one dimensional.
People like Mark are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Reply #206574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi there Bullets fans,
I'm looking for some info - I have a small basketball which is signed by the whole 2008 Bullets team, a Bullets polo shirt also signed by the whole 2008 team and a pair of basketball shoes signed by Ebe Ere and I'm trying to get an idea of what they are worth. I'm looking to sell them and donate the proceeds to charity but I'm not sure what the'd each be worth... Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Reply #224857 | Report this post

needsinfo  
Years ago

Hi there Bullets fans,
I'm looking for some info - I have a small basketball which is signed by the whole 2008 Bullets team, a Bullets polo shirt also signed by the whole 2008 team and a pair of basketball shoes signed by Ebe Ere and I'm trying to get an idea of what they are worth. I'm looking to sell them and donate the proceeds to charity but I'm not sure what the'd each be worth... Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Reply #224859 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Worth a lot more a year ago I would say!

1 x small ball $19.95
1 x polo top $99.95
1 x basketball shoes $249.95

Signed by entire team - priceless!

Reply #224866 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754