Double Clutch
Years ago

U19 FIBA Oceania qualifers

Coming up soon at Wayville. What I want to know is, why are the men on first at 11am on Sunday before the women? Let's face it men usually draw larger crowds and putting them on this early in the morning will decrease the overall crowd size and revenue of both matches. Whatever chance I had of getting my mates to come down and watch with me are out the window with a 11am start.

Surely this will hurt the suport for both teams and revenue earnt.

Topic #16415 | Report this topic

SYB  
Years ago

Who's in the Aust team's for the men and women?

Reply #193368 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

Who are they playing? NZ? haha.
Im from NZ and right now, the best team NZ could send to the qualifiers would be a bunch of amateur guys who have only ever been to the Australian Under 18 champs and lost EVERY game.

Reply #193370 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

For the boys and girls playing along at home more info

Reply #193373 | Report this post

Dion Prewster  
Years ago

Don't even bother going to see the match. It will be a one-sided, high turnover, mistake-filled match, in which Australia will win comfortably.

Reply #193385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should the girls be a 'curtain-raiser'?? If the boys are such a bigger drawcard (not sure) then people will be there and can stay on for the girls.... I think it is just a bit nit-picky....

As for why go? Well here is a chance to see some of those who hope to go to the World's next year - then when you are all getting on to bag them next year you might know a bit of what you are talking about or who you are bagging!

Surely we can all see that even if the Aussie's are meant to flog them, it is a great honour for these kids to play for Australia and it is also a chance to show some support to them and support them at the chance they get to represent their country on home soil.. Some of these players will later be Boomers and Opals, probably in the next 4-5 years, so lets enjoy the spectacle for what it is and not try and spoil it.....

Reply #193416 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

Mate, let me tell you something. I am actually in the Junior Tall Black Squad, trialing for a position in the NZ U/19 team. It happens every year, we get flogged.
Basically, im praising the Aussie's, they are true ballaz. Im showing some love and your hating on me. Why.?
Go if you want. When i meant not to go, it's because it's not going to be a very even contest. And i think im right to say, competetive and even contests are more exciting

Reply #193425 | Report this post

sac_town  
Years ago

Anon, I cannot see how saying it will be a one-sided affair is 'spoiling it'. Everyone, including the players in the Aussie side know they are favourites to win. Here's an example.
The New Zealand Under 18 team is in Ballarat at the moment and they have lost all 3 games which they have played. They have lost to NSW,QLD,VIC etc.
If the NZ Under 18 team cannot beat state sides from here, how can they be expected to beat a full-strength aussie side.
The fact is that from the NZ U/19 squad, only 1 may play D1 College ball, whereas we will probably end up with 4/5 from our under 19 squad.

Reply #193429 | Report this post

Lakerfan#24  
Years ago

I think the quote from the Link which bluey gave us sums up exactly how this game will go down:

"Australia have not lost a game in the U19 FIBA Oceania Qualifiers against New Zealand "

Reply #193430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is a fair call to say the games will be one-sided, my point is just that lets for once just go and support these kids.. Sorry not having a go at your personally, just feel we could not bag this. It is what it is and unfortunately it is likely to be one-sided (esp given the U18 results) but hey it gives us a chance to go see some up and comer and enjoy some Aussies beating the Kiwis!! Lets not try and down-grade this too much with the BS that often happens....
I have heard tickets are like $5 or something a game so I think the good thing is BSA dont seem to be trying to have this as a revenue earner, instead just a few games with some good players, even if not good scores....

Reply #193432 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

You have got to be kidding yourself if you think people are going to get up at 9:30am on a Sunday (granted I get up at 7am each Sunday but would like a sleep in once) to watch a mens game that will be one-sided then hang around for the women. Instead no one will go at all.

Most of the people I know won't hang around for a women's game no matter when it is, just a fact of life that in most sports women will never draw the crowds that men will.

Reply #193463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Womens Games will only be watched if the girls are hot, Yeh Baby!!

Reply #193605 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754