Woody
Years ago

NBL Overhaul Suggestion

After seeing the trouble the NBL has had over the last few years, what do people think of the idea of folding the existing NBL competition. Perhaps restarting with a different name (similar to what soccer did), and offering only 1 franchise per major city. Yes this will reduce the teams in the competition but i believe it would make it stronger and as a result a better product for spectators. Look at the NBA, with the majority of cities only having one team. I just feel that it could provide the catalyst basketball at the professional level needs to at least getting back on track. I just dont think we can continue to support multiple teams per city, yet we persist with expansion in this manner. What would be the adv./disadvantages of going down this path?

Topic #16581 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hey Woody. This thread has been started/restarted about a dozen times on this site.

Basically what you've said is pretty much the standard opinion of most people.

I personally think it would benefit copying the Netball and making a Trans-tasman league and merge the NBL and NZNBL into one superleague.

You'd have a better East vs. West (AUS vs. NZ) All star game and guaranteed chance that one AUS and one NZ team would be playing in the finals.

Could easily market a league that size and rake in billions over the next 5 years or so.

Reply #195068 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they'll drop down to 10 teams (Melbourne being the only city with two sides), rebrand and relaunch. Has been hinted at for a long time.

Would still rather a two-tier 16 team league myself.

Reply #195075 | Report this post

Trevor Anderson  
Years ago

Nice one Woody....

Now what's Harold Miners favourite Pump Up Music??

Reply #195080 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

There's a major review underway that's over 12mths in the making, and recommendations will come out in Aug/Sept - be patient !!

Reply #195081 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Big Marty - Agree about scrapping Imports V Aussies with th All Star game but I think you are better going with North V South with our League.

Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, South & NZ
v
Wollongong, West Syd, Gold Coast, Townsville, Cairns & Singapore.

Which though, could quite possibly be, the Top 5 teams Vs the rest!

Reply #195084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need an NBL equivalent of the NBA d-league! So that youngsters can get exposed to NBL teams more than they would playing ABL.

Reply #195092 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Looking forward to the outcome of the NBL review. Apologies if the topic was done to death, not a regular reader.

Reply #195119 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

melbourne should have 2 teams i know for a fact they both have good support and if dragons go well they could pack at vodafone every night, but reccomendations soon so something good could happen

Reply #195131 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Give it three seasons, Goorj will kill the Dragons and Melbourne will naturally drop down to one team again ...

Reply #195161 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

you guys all have relevant points however still the ideas that seem to be expressed regarding revamping the league puts limits on the ability of the league and its viability as a world class league. What people don't realise is that basketball has actual advantages over soccer in this country - Australia has and could consistently compete for a top 5 spot in the world of bball, soccer can't do this. Also with the A-league, soccer's ethnic fans were ignored (yes it wasn't ideal in the NSL but they were the passionate ones). My idea involves turning the NBL into a league whereby 2-3 players a year are drafted into the NBA and could field teams that could compete with European and NBA teams on the court.

How this is done is relatively simple and with government funding will happen. Firstly we need to open import restrictions to include all Asian and Southern Hemisphere players so that the new Aussie League has a monopoly on these types of players which are the best outside of Europe and the USA hands down. Countries from which players would come would be: China, Argentina, Brazil, Japan, Angola, Korea, Congo, Phillipines just to name the stronger ones. Not to mention players like Fadi El Khatib from Lebanon and 7ft 5 Jaber Rouzbahani and 7ft 3 Hamed Hadadi from Iran.

If 16 teams were agreed on (obviously ideal number), dividing them in divisions would be best to enhance local rivalry and a second team in Asia (ideally Jakarta - pop' 9 million) would make it a truly international competition. Singapore would join Jakarta, Darwin and Perth, making travelling more realistic and roadtrips cost effective.

With two teams advancing out of a four team group. Other teams added would include Tassy (with 2 Vic clubs and 36ers in their division) and an AIS team based in Canberra comprising the best Aussie players under 21 - building a strong national team for the future. The TV rights could be sold for millions in Asia and Sth America, perhaps moreso than the current NRL and AFL deals.

If each team had 5 Aussie/Kiwi players, 5 regional players (Southern Hemisphere, Asia) and 2 imports from outside of these regions (USA players) the pool of Australian talent would drop from its current number whereby there are some players who probably shouldn't be there or get as much playing time as they do (d.joyce). This leaves around 80 spaces for the best players across the Asian/Southern Hemisphere region which just quietly includes over 60 nations including the strong basketball nations mentioned above.

The multicultural nature of particularly Melbourne and Sydney would in my opinion ensures that 2 franchises in each of these markets is plausable.

Other ideas include putting the national flag of each player on their jersey, making each division have a zone - e.g. Queensland division gets monopoly on South American talent, Vic, SA Tas get Africa, Southern Asia, NSW - Northern Asia/Pacific etc etc. I'm no expert on creating fixtures so i won't even try. Option involving All Star games would obviously be immeasurable with amount of countries competing.

I will repost this post under another topic simply because i think it deserves its own topic.

Reply #195239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754