Quagmire
Years ago

Mike Millers shooting drills...

Grabbed this from true hoop-

Mike Trudell of Timberwolves.com just watched Mike Miller work out.....It's pretty psycho, for us normal people.

For instance, Miller ended his workout by hitting 36 straight NBA three-pointers. This is a regular workout for Miller.

Trudell describes another Mike Miller shooting drill:

One of Miller's hardest drills is this: A three-point make is +1 and a miss -1, and he has to get to 50. So he could make 49 in a row, miss one and he'd need two straight makes to finish. Miss five, make five and you're at zero.

Heres the link-http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/gym_rat_080804.html

For the record i still think Maher would give him a run for his money...

Topic #16726 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

I wonder how long Shaq would be there if he did the same thing with free throws?

Reply #196717 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I used to do a similar thing with spot shooting although my scoring system was +1 for a make, +2 for a swish make and -5 for a miss. I think trying to get a swish made my shot better (better arc) and also helped me make a lot more ("Aim small, miss small")

Reply #196724 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Slightly related: In Halo, we had a match mode called 'K5A2D-1'. 5 points for a kill, 2 for an assist, -1 for a death. First to 100. The first time we played it, I think Nino finished on -22.

Reply #196726 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

One thing that makes it even more incredible is that he does this with "in game" style shooting, ie; pull-up jumpers, side steps, head fakes etc.

He isn't just standing still spot shooting.

Imagine the discipline to do this.

If you were on 49 and missed a couple of shots, went back down to 45, its past 7 at night and you said you'd be home by 6, would you just walk away and say- "close enough"?

Also- do the AFL players have this sort of discipline with regards to kicking for goal?

I know they take heaps of shots at goal but i often wonder if they have it right in the head-
You must practice a skill using the correct technique, otherwise your just practising doing it wrong, which means you get better at doing it wrong.

Reply #196731 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

8 million a year to play basketball or whatever he earns, would be enough discipline and motivation for me to shoot 3 pointers all day

Reply #196765 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

are we suppose to be impressed?? .. yeah when you get paid millions, have the adoration of thousands, date the hottest girls ... and all you have to do is play basketball and shoot a few hoops...

whoop de doo ... try asking the guys working in the mines for 8 hours a day .. if they want to swap "jobs" !!!

Reply #196786 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Sounds to me that someones jealous.

Reply #196804 | Report this post

Mr Squiggle  
Years ago

I find it a little hard to believe but even if it's true, you can put the ball in the net all you want in practice but it's what you do in the game that counts. I wonder what the most in a row Gaze has ever done or kapono for that matter

Reply #196855 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Story was that Gaze used to get called for dinner, when they used to live at the Albert Park stadium way back in the day.

He then wouldn't go in for dinner until he'd hit a three pointer in every ring in the place. If he missed, he'd start again.

From memory, there was about 8 courts at Albert Park, and he used to include the practice rings that were setup on the sides of courts as well.

Basically 20 - 25 in a row, I would guess.

Probably a few cold dinners over the years too.

EVERY good shooter has a story like this, I would think.

Like it or not, practice is the ONLY way to get better.

Reply #197057 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Melo-man should take some shooting drills with Miller after last nights showing!

Reply #197059 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

"EVERY good shooter has a story like this, I would think. "

Yep, I used to shoot two free throws before dinner. If I hit any part of the board or ring (or in fact scored) on both attempts I would go home. If not, I'd keep going until I did.

There were a few cold dinners.

Reply #197072 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I tried this last night and made it to 41 but then dropped back to around 25-35 for ages and then called it a night after an hour os so. Might try again tomorrow.

Reply #197159 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"practice is the ONLY way to get better"

Agree, but you gotta add that practicing the CORRECT technique is crucial.

If your technique is flawed, you immediately put a ceiling on how good you can be.

Muscle memory will only get you so far...

Reply #197372 | Report this post

k  
Years ago

Reply #201682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754