Juror 12
Years ago

Sixers Starting Line Up

Now that their roster has been finalised who should the Sixers start. I think they should start like this:

Davidson, Maher, Tyndale, Holmes and Ballinger

but I think (at least initially) they will probably go with Schenser instead of Holmes. I think Bruce will also eventually start but I'd go with Davidson initially.

Topic #16849 | Report this topic

Cat 15  
Years ago

Bruce, Tyndale, Holmes, Ballinger, Schensher

Then:

Davidson, Maher, Kiwi bloke, Hill, Cooper etc...

Looks good!

Reply #198217 | Report this post

Seb  
Years ago

Im just loving the fact that we have so much choice in our starting 5 this season.
What a talented bunch, im excited.

Reply #198220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce, Maher, Tyndale, Ballinger, Schenscher

Could then be Bruce, Maher, Tyndale, Holmes, Ballinger depending on Schenschers injuries or form.

You guys who think Maher wont start are deluded.

Reply #198221 | Report this post

I think Maher should still start, but play limited minutes.

By mid season at the latest, I'd like to see Bruce as our starting PG. Don't forget that until Mills came out of nowhere he was considered CJ's replacement as starting PG with the Boomers. That, and the fact he averaged 18ppg and 4 assists playing div 1 college.

Good to see that for once the Sixers have some genuine depth (especially at the 1 & 2)and flexibility.

Reply #198222 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Like it Cat 15, Thats a pretty big squad too.

This team has some real flexability too;

fast break;

Schen (to board) then Holmes/Tyndale/Maher/Bruce

or even

Schen/Tyndale/maher/Bruce/Davidson

Talk about your run and gun options!

So keen for this season to start now!

Reply #198223 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Bruce/Tyndale/Holmes/Ballinger/Schenscher

Is it just me or is this the deepest bench we've had for awhile? Maher, Davidson, Kersten, Winitana, Cooper, Hill?

Reply #198229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely. Adding Bruce has really put them in contention.

Reply #198234 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

So so deep.

Cant help thinking though that if we had held Ng in place of say the 2 NZ boys, we would probably be 9 possible starters deep.
Still, I am very excited about this coming season, easily the best roster we have had in years. Scott has definetely proved himself as a recruiter, fingers crossed he can do the same as a coach.

Reply #198241 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

As mentioned previously, I'd prefer to have Bruce start the season on the bench until he gets a feel for the league and his role on the team. Plus Davidson energy at the start of games will be valuable. And I can't seem Holmes playing off the bench - he came here to start, and regardless of his aweful, is a key element of the future of the 36ers.

So I'd go with:
Davidson, Tyndale, Holmes, Ballinger, Schenscher.

A bench of Bruce, Maher, Hill, Winitana & Cooper is very solid. We are now a team that goes a legit 8 deep, and winitana and hill will hopefully provided useful minutes.

Bring on Sept 17th!!

Reply #198243 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Sorry, a few spelling errors there, my keyboard's on the fritz. Should have been Holmes aweful SHOT, I like him as an overall player!

Reply #198245 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In terms of a depth chart the Sixers do look great

PG: Bruce (30) / Davidson (18) / YAP-Kerstan / DP-Burdon??

SG: Maher (25) / Tyndale (15) / Hill (8) / Bruce

SF: Tyndale (23) / Holmes (25) / Winitana / Hill

PF: Ballinger (38) / Holmes (10) / Tyndale

C: Schenscher (30) / Cooper (18) / Ballinger / DP-Hoban??

(suggested minutes in brackets)
YAP-Young Australian Player
DP-Deveplopment Player

Lots of flexibility with a great core rotation of 8 players. Kerstan, Hill and Winitana will probably be battling for any court time, which is a great problem to have.

As for the development players, Burdon may luck out due to his age (although I think he deserves another year to show he can make it to a full roster spot).

Reply #198250 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I don't think you can start Holmes, Ballinger and Schenser given our talent in the backcourt and lack of depth in the big man department. That would leave only Cooper on the bench as a big and heaps of guards to try and get in. Holmes SHOULD start but Schenser may intially.

And Maher will DEFINITELY start.

Reply #198251 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its nice to finally have enough depth that there is some uncertainty over who should start. I actually think there are quite a few unknowns:
- What type of team does Ninnis want us to be? Run and gun or grind it out half-court? This will effect who starts.
- Is Schenscher going to dominate from the get go or will he take awhile to adjust to the NBL? Cooper could prove more reliable early on.
- Do we want the size and rebounding of Holmes starting at SF or more offensive firepower from the new import Tyndale?
- If Holmes and Tyndale both need to start, which guard sits?
- Is Bruce better than Davidson or Maher yet? If he is, what is the best combo? Bruce-Maher or Bruce-Davidson?

Lots of interesting possibilities so I would be surprised if Ninnis has made a final decision about a starting 5 yet. I actually think Ninnis would be best served by telling his players to earn their starting spot and minutes in the pre-season.

One comment on Maher: I would like him to play more as a sixth man this year, coming off the bench to play against either bench players or fatigued starters. Judging by last year, he can still really hurt opponents offensively in bursts, but his body just isn't up to defending quick guards anymore. If we use him correctly, I think we can maximise his impact and minimise his chances of injury.

Reply #198263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect winitana to be a suprise packet, watched him in the internal trail at Renmark last week and he ripped it up in the first half. Great pick up. Schen looked ordinary but is big.

Reply #198266 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

BRUCE
MAHER or DAVIDSON
TYNDALE
BALLINGER
SCHENSHER

Holmes and Davidson or Maher first off the bench

Cooper , Winitana and Kersten to round it out .

Holmes could be a super important 1st sub for us . He has the IQ and versatility which can be used in various situations .

Also , it is clear we will be playing an uptempo , intense D style of game so there should be ample opportunity for all to have plenty of impact within allocated court time . This team runs 10 deep so starting 5 really is not that concrete .

Reply #198273 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I think Bruce, Tyndale, Holmes, Ballinger, Schenscher. Maher and Davidson first in, Bruce and Holmes, out, Tyndale slides to the 3. Cooper replaces Schescher. Holmes returns when Ballinger departs, Winitana or Hill enter when Tyndale sits.

Reply #198275 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

"Is Schenscher going to dominate from the get go"

Beantown - you are implying that he will dominate now or later. I've got my doubts whether he will ever dominate - but I hope I'm wrong. I see him more in the Cooper mould.

Mutley - except for Ballinger and Bruce that is a poor shooting side (if reports aboput Tyndale's shot are true). I think Tyndale will play more 3 than 2. (When Maher is off Bruce will probably slide to the 2 with Davidson at the point)

I am looking forward to the first few games just to see how Ninnis works the rotations and to see what style he is looking for. It will also be interesting to see how both Hill and Winitana play (and how they fit in to the roster). It is difficult to play all 10 guys - who will miss out?

Reply #198282 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I would go:

BRUCE (25) / DAVIDSON (15)/ KERSTEN (8)
MAHER (25) / TYNDALE (23)
TYNDALE (18) / HILL (15) / HOLMES (15)
BALLINGER (25) / HOLMES (15) / WINITANA (8)
SCHENSCHER (25) / COOPER (13) / BALLINGER (10)

I don't think any 36er will have to play over 40 minutes - unless they are completely dominaiting or shutting their man down.

Reply #198288 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Juror 12 - why will Maher "DEFINITELY", as you put it, start? do you have confirmation on this?

Any Sixers fan who's even been remotely paying attention over the past 3 seasons would have to admit that Maher has had some significant time off due to injury.

I have a sneaking suspicion that people are a little too afraid of the concept of Brett Maher coming off the bench (even after what, 14 seasons?). Last year Copeland was able to provide a spark off the bench and generally, he was effective with his minutes. I think Maher this season would suit this role to a tee - coming off the bench to be a pure shooter.

Reply #198289 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Maher off the bench would be perfect ... a Ginobili type roll - is the key offensive player with the 2nd unit and in the game late to make free throws.

Reply #198293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By all reports, Maher the fittest he has been in ages and kicking arse at training.

Will definitely start.

Reply #198298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Maher I would go one further. Wrap him up in cotton wool - have in on the bench to play reduced minutes and when the real stuff happens at the end of the season let him "off his leash". Instead of a tired battered Maher at the season end we have him at his best when it matters.

Reply #198301 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'd prefer ..
Schenscher / Cooper
Ballinger / Holmes
Tyndale / Holmes / Winitana
Maher / Hill
Bruce / Davidson / Kersten

Curious to know what numbers the new recruits will go with...
Tundale has worn 13 so that wont be an issue.
Bruce wore 14 at college which is already taken by Davidson.
Schenscher wore 12 at college which I presume Holmes will have again. He had 45 with the Bulls and 24 with Portland.
Winitana had 8 with NZ which is free.
Kersten had 11 which is Coopers number.
Hill will most likely still be a 2.

Boy, its really starting to hit how different the team is now.

Reply #198304 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

You think Holmes (former dragons captain/starter) moved back from Dragons to come off the bench?

Davidson or Maher
Tyndale
Holmes
Ballinger
Schens

A fairly early sub with Cooper than quick rotations through the bigs is whats needed.

The only other option I can see is Tyndale coming off the bench, but who knows what level of player he is and what he will bring to the team.

Reply #198305 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Holmes did not come to sixers to play off the bench. That would've been a backward step.

So after saying that here is my team for people to shoot down.

PG - Bruce/Davidson
SG - Tyndale/Maher
SF - Holmes/Hill
PF - Ballinger/Winitana
C - Schencher/Cooper

Reply #198309 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Winitana aint no Power Forward.

Reply #198310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maher will start as him & ninnis r boys

Reply #198317 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

DJ - The same could be said for Bruce. After going his hardest at an NBA gig do you think he would have signed to settle for coming off the bench behind Maher and Davidson?

The fact is that probably 2 players that would start in other teams are gonna start on the pine. Minutes will be fairly even though I would expect.

Reply #198320 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bruce is not a NBL starter YET. Sure he is good and has shown flashes of brilliance (as a distributing PG) and ample potential but he has by no means cemented or done enough in the past to be given a starting spot over seasoned veterans in Maher and Davidson. Maybe as the season progresses but I wouldn't have him running the ship from the get go.

I'm excited by the signing of Bruce but give the guy some time to adapt to the NBL style and Sixers style.

I think we would do far better starting Davidson as the PG and Bruce backing him up still seeing plenty of minutes.
Maher needs to be looked after even if he is his at his fittest ever, we need him come season's end to be on the court.

Reply #198333 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I would like to see Maher Comming of the bench, as a real spark player. The guy is amazing and deserves to start without a doubt, but bringing him of the bench could really provide some quick points to the team!

Reply #198335 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Agree, no reason why Maher shouldn't come off the bench, and still play 30 minutes-plus when the situation requires it. Gaze didn't start in his final year did he?

Reply #198339 | Report this post

quasty  
Years ago

What's the obsession with Maher coming off the bench? He can still start but play reduced minutes to previous years in order to keep his body healthy. I still think he's the heart and soul of the team, not to mention the leader and inspiration. He could still start whilst having how many minutes he's playing monitored. It really makes no difference to his body whether or not he starts - it's how many minutes he plays

Reply #198363 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I agree in part, if he playing reduced minutes he could start, my main point is that we work on a good starting five and have someone that can up the tempo, motivate the team comming in of the bench. Bench players can add alot of spark in a slow start and he is perfect for that sort of role. Who else do we have that can come into a game we are struggling and really motivate the team.

Reply #198411 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754