lethal5
Years ago

Sports that should/shouldn't be Olympic

Are there any sports in the Olympics that should or shouldn't be there? And not just because you don't like them or think they are boring. ie. Synchronised swimming!

I think if the Olympics is not the pinnacle of a particular sport then it shouldn't be there. Tennis for instance... players would surely rather win Wimbledon than Olympic gold.

A lot of people think Netball should be in the Olympics & they are probably right.

Soccer is in there as an Under 23 competition. Should this be so? I think not, as the World Cup is the pinnacle of Soccer!

Other sports such as basketball have World Championships too, but I think the Olympics are still the pinnacle. Thoughts?

Softball is finishing as an Olympic sport after Beijing. Not sure why? Surely the Olympics are the biggest event in Softball.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Topic #16998 | Report this topic

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

if equestrian is in the olympics then shit the v8s should be in it!

Reply #200212 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im campaigning to bring back the Tug of War. Set up right in the middle of the Olympic Stadium, I reckon it would be the biggest crowd favourite of the games.

Single, Pairs and 8 person events.

And you would have to have a mud pit in the middle to be pulled in to.

It was an Olympic sport until 1920.

Reply #200215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lose equestrian, and I agree with Skip - bring in the Tug of War.

Reply #200218 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

If Tennis is in there Golf should be

Reply #200219 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

I agree Skip. Tug of War is massive at the World Police & Fire Games, & is taken deadly serious.It would be one of the most watched events for sure. I say bring it back!

Reply #200221 | Report this post

Definately equestrian.... I'm almost at a point where I want to go kick the next horse I see.
Sailing shouldn't be in there either... I think anything where you have to use an animal or some contraption is kind of cheating.
Sailing also seems to be more of a recreational thing, otherwise, they might as well add camping and bushwalking as Olympic sports.

Reply #200222 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Equestrian, Tennis, Sailing, Triathlon, Synchronised Swimming.

Reply #200223 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

People say get rid of Equestrian, but if it's the pinnacle of that sport then it should probably stay. I hate watching it too, but maybe they could keep it but not televise it!

As said in the original post, don't pick sports just cos you don't like them or think they are boring.

Reply #200224 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Let's get it down to the two basic human/animal responses: fight (boxing) or flight (track).

Or both: Tamsyn Lewis running to the finish line only to encounter some Cuban pugilist who'd let their fists do the talking and save us all the drama and whining.

Or, in the case of that Chinese hurdler yesterday (their Cathy Freeman equivalent), to do neither. :)

Reply #200225 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

If fencing is there - might as well bring in some fox hunting... Modern pentathalon as well - if sports can be introduced then they should be able to be dropped as well (Coubertain or no Coubertain).... Those two are prime candidates...

The football tournament (by virtue of being u-23) also seems a bit of a waste of time... make it the poor cousin of the World Cup says I... of course the teams that pay the big players salaries might have something to say about having to give up their players every two years as opposed to every 4...

Reply #200228 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Turn the Beach Volleyball courts into pits for Team Jelly Wrestling. Watch the ratings soar!

Reply #200230 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Could bring in a new sport and call it "Festivus - the feats of strength", as described in Seinfeld by Frank Costanza! It would include arm wrestling, wrestling to pin your opponent, thumb wrestling, etc. Normally occurs at family functions but at the Olympics you could enter your whole family to take on other families!

Reply #200234 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

bull riding - the rodeo should be in it .. it's more exciting then equastrian ! Seriously any sport that has limits (ie under 23 for soccer) or the Olympics is NOT a pinnacle in the sport (ie Tennis)or the Best are not competing in (U23 soccer again) - are only making a mockery of the Olynpics!

Reply #200239 | Report this post

Hugh Hefner  
Years ago

Hangin Round,

Of course you mean FEMALE Team Jelly Wrestling!!

Reply #200240 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

Hugh .. you never know these days !!

Reply #200249 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I think equestrian should stay ONLY if they add a "reversals" section to the course, where the jockey leaps off, and has to carry the horse over a few jumps, and thru a few puddles ... now THAT would be a test of an athlete ..

Reply #200256 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

- Soccer (football) should not be an Olym[ic Sport as it is clearly not the pinnacle and is just an U23 competition (and not has it ever been)

- Tennis shouldn;t be either, otherwise you should allow golf. Both are popular world sports, but the Olympics is clearly not the pinnacle (and nor has it ever been)

- BMX to me should say in the Summer X games - bring back the individual track pursuit. Same for mountain biking.

- I hate equestrian, but it is the pinnacle of their sport! I'd drop it as it relies on animals and not purely human effort

- Sailing baffle me - whilst I know it is a pinnacle for their events, is it really worthy of being an olympic sport?

- I think the modern pentathlon is outdated

- Baseball should go, but softball should stay

- Netball desetrves a go, but needs to establish its credentials further through the Commonwealth Games. It is also played by too few countries at this point in time

- Gilly mentioned Cricket the other day, but lets be honest, the World Cup is the pinnacle in that sport and it is played by too few countries

- the English want darts added - I think it should be left in the pub

- they also want snooker added - this should also stay in the pub

- I think the 800m freestyle should be added to the swimming

- I think the 1500m freestyle should be added for the women in the swimming

- Someone I know mentioned chess - I wont go there

Reply #200259 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Since we've got table tennis, why not table soccer?

Put chess in, then everyone would accept synchronised swimming. No, on second thoughts, I don't think synchronised swimming is ever going to be popular.

Reply #200261 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Team cycling....but all on 1 bike..like those 3 or 4 person bikes.

Foosball..i think thats been said.

Tug-o-War

100m Hot-coal running

Hide & Seek

Parkour chasey...or as it could be called...eXtreme tag

umm...then the hottest female competitors from any sport face each other in some good old jelly wrestling

Imagine...Erin Phillips (AUS) vs Beck Hammon (RUS)
or Anita Gorbitz (HUN) vs Stephanie Rice (AUS)

wow....i want that on youtube

Reply #200297 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Any pastime that is judged by opinion and not measured should not be in the games.

e.g. "that dive was a 7.2 with a degree of difficulty of 5.6, multiplied by the squre root of my a*$

Opinion does not a world champion make

100 metres in 9.72 FACT...FASTEST...GOLD
High Jump is 2.4m?..FACT ..HIGHEST...GOLD
Football, Somalia 3 Vs New Zealand 2...FACT..GOLD

Take your judging off to dancing with the stars or australian idol...i dont care whethe it had a pike or if she mounted the vault perfectly and landed with a smile...THATS JUST YOUR OPINION!!!

sorry :)

Reply #200303 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Alternatively...

Who can find the vein fastest

Whose Testicles have shrunk the most (in the womens events, whose have grown the most)

Best hiding place for empty vials

Best demonstration of Roid rage

Best massacre and exploitation of an adjoing country (just to ensure that China get guaranteed gold)

Best olympic coverage without actually showing anything live

Get them in !!

Reply #200304 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Best host country to dope there competitors to be 7ft chinamen, or 100kg muscle men from birth?

Reply #200321 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

me - Football can still be won thanks to the opinion of a referee on whether a tackle was a frre kick or night for instance.

Reply #200380 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ban anything where you don't score points within your game, run the fastest, walk the fastest, swim the fastest, shoot the most accurate, race in any contraption the fastest, throw something at the greatest distance, jump the longest distance, lift the heaviest weight. In other words, if you beat an opponent in any of these ways, then it should be in the Olympics. If a judge has to decide, then ban it because its not accurate. That is evident by various judges awarding different points. It makes you ask if the the competitor was good enough or whether the judge was kind enough. Its also the reason why these events are the most boring because if the judges can't be consistent, then how does the spectator understand it.

Reply #200397 | Report this post

Minn  
Years ago

women's boxing, or foxy boxing if you prefer.

more swimming relays, like butterfly, 4 x 1500, sidestroke...

3-legged races, wheelbarrow races (it can get pretty hardcore - my mum once had her finger broken by her over-zealous "driver"), the backward 100 metres, obstacle course ("it's a knockout" sorta thing), indoor rock climbing, skateboarding...

everything i've suggested is as plausible as what's already included.

i reckon they should scrap all the sitting down sports like cycling & rowing so the poms can't win anything!

Reply #200404 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hangin Round,

Of course you mean FEMALE Team Jelly Wrestling!!

Oh god, not another Google ad heading my way....please!

Reply #200405 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I was going to suggest badger baiting but we don't want Great Britain to win any more medals in borderline sports.

Otherwise I'd like to see the 4 x marathon relay introduced.

Reply #200409 | Report this post

On the money  
Years ago

20/20 cricket should be there

(Mod: That'd screw the Poms)

Reply #200411 | Report this post

Synchronised  
Years ago

Anything synchronised is not sport...

Ahh stuff it, let them have whatever they want just make sure that the stations who cover the game supply a seperate channel for every sport, then we can all watch the tiddly winks in peace.

Reply #200429 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Just leave in the sports we are actually good at!

Reply #200505 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

Ultimate Frisbee!!!

is huge in the National University games!

Reply #200517 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Is it really embarrassing if a country with nearly twice our population spending four times as much on sport had only five more gold medals than us and two less medals overall?

Scratch that - Hell yes, if it's Great Britain!

Reply #200538 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754