Isaac
Years ago

Channel 10's 24-hour sports channel

Could be hope for the NBL and NBA on free to air:

A 24-hour sports channel to be launched next year on free-to-air television will revolutionise the Australian broadcasting landscape.
Not only has Ten just outbid Nine to win the television rights to Australian swimming, but among the network's new trump cards are the US NBA basketball, the US Major League baseball. Ten also holds the rights to the US Open golf and tennis championships and the US Masters golf.

Ten also recently spent a reported $10-15 million buying the rights to India's IPL Twenty20 cricket for five years.

The 2009 AFL grand final will also be simulcast on Ten's HD channel, and Ten will extend its AFL coverage to include a Monday night review program to be hosted by Stephen Quartermain.
The network has also bought the rights to the Trans-Tasman Netball League, with former AFL star Luke Darcy to host its netball coverage.
Ten also owns the rights to Formula One Grand Prix events, the Nascar series including the Daytona 500, and has been televising the World Golf Championship events.
Full article at The Age: Ten's tilt at 24-hour sports channel

Good to see one of the networks trying something bold.

Topic #17826 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Would be a nice variety of things to watch on there

AFL Footy
NBA Basketaball
Major League Baseball
NFL Gridiron
The Swimming
The TransTasman Netball League
Formula One
Nascar
US Open Tennis & Golf
IPL Cricket

Reply #209126 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I just saw this as well. Absolutely bloody fantastic!
NBA basketball on FTA TV!!!! That can only be a good thing in my books.
Channel 10 are already showing the American NFL and apparently have been getting good results whcih has led to this decision.
Let's hope they also pick up the rights for show some College Hoops as well! I'd l;ove the chance to be abel to watch AJ and Patty rip up the college hoops scene.
And the NBL - well this opportunity has just fallen into their lap - now if onl they can get organised enough to try and take advantage of it!

Reply #209134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All hail 10. I'm loving them for the NFL, and the fact that they are the only channel aside for abc2 trying to do anything of value with the digital broadcast.

Reply #209135 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I was so excited by this I didn't check my spelling...

Reply #209136 | Report this post

Colin  
Years ago

This is (potentially) great news. Hopefully there is a good coverage of the NBA. Any mention of NBL?

Reply #209139 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Awesome news... Has been rumoured for a while now. And channel 10 have so far done a great job with their HD channel sport coverage.

Reply #209142 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Love Channel 10

I've been watching the Nascar and NFL. This has been the best thing since NBA action on a sunday morning after basketball training as a junior.

Reply #209143 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

This might have something to do with Fox Sports not having the rights to the NBA this season. What I heard is that FS were out-bid, but it didn't make sense that there was competition - it must have been 10.

Reply #209144 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Sensational! Channel 10 Rocks! Foxtel and Fox Sports wouldn't be too happy about this development that's for sure.
I wonder how quickly channels 7 & 9 will follow? After all, channel 9 have in the past appeared to have taken great pride in their sports coverage.
Unless I'm mistaken, Fox Sports still have the rights to the NBL for at least this season? Maybe channel 10 will look at scoring that too for next season?
Channel 7 missed the boat with Digital coverage of all sports with their poor Olympics coverage.

Reply #209149 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I do wonder if channel 9 will be capable of doing this sort of thing seeing as how they have limited financial support without the Packers.

Well done Channel 10. If I get to see more sport on FTA... I will finally be able to cancel my Fox Subscription.

Reply #209159 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Screw you Poxtel.

A Dome carpark chocka with Ferraris, has me salivating. Bring it on. : )

Reply #209169 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I'm sure the square bears will say it's illegal, but why couldn't Channel 10, if it's so flush with cash, buy one of the licences - hypothetically the Sydney licence - in the NewBL as part of its NewBL coverage?

It then has a vested interest to show as much NewBL as possible.

And: now, introducing the head coach of your Sydney Tens... Sandra Sully!

Reply #209177 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Ten has been making good use of digital by showing F1 grand prix live on digital & delayed on analog. ABC has different shows, including WNBL, on digital.

Seven have given up on putting their program guide to air & have about four channels showing exactly the same thing. Why?

Fox Sports might have some serious competition, not before time. Will many people drop their Pay TV when the Ten channel gets going? If they do, we might see some improvement in Foxtel offering and pricing.

Reply #209180 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I have a carry over feeling that you guys aren't absorbing what's happening around you.
The economy's screwed, & you guys are angling at better Poxtel pricing? FFS, "wake" (as in aftermath) up.
Chanel 10's just done us all a massive favour, make the most of what's dropped into your lap$e.
In my unabashed world, I've still got a massive man cru$h on Ch9, you know, the guys that support the 36ers.

To make it simple:

I'M HAPPY FOR POXTEL TO DROP A RUNG, ON THE POPULARITY LADDER.

Reply #209186 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

DDFan, the global credit crisis which is tipped to seesaw for another 2 years is a good point.
One of the first things people will start cutting back on is entertainment and Foxtel will be feeling the pain if not now, then soon.
I just hope the NBA coverage will be decent and not just squeezed in as some after thought.

Reply #209193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just because only one person ("you guys"?!) has commented on cheaper Fox, it doesn't mean that more competition being better for consumers isn't completely obvious to everyone.

Reply #209194 | Report this post

Giraffe 80  
Years ago

dd, last season you got upset about the negativity here because it might put off potential sponsors of the 36ers. but foxtel are a corporate supporter of the club and you bash them yourself whenever the topic comes up. lapse. wake up. ffs.

(Mod: Double-post removed.)

Reply #209198 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

DDFan can you please have your regular posts and then one straight after to explain the jokes in your first one. ;)

lol just jokin mate, you're better than Clint Dogg.

Reply #209207 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I hope they throw in some boxing as well. This would excite me plenty.

Reply #209222 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bo why would it be illegal? It's already in place now in another sport.

ARL part owned (and some suggest run) by whom? News Corp

Melbourne Storm is owned by whom? News Corp

Fox Sports and Foxtel promote the crap out of the ARL and NRL, do you think thats a coincidence?

(Just go to the website and see all the meaningless 'news' items about Rugby League and the priority it gets over every other sport.)

Fox have a vested interest in the NRL and will do everything within its power to make sure the sport gets a high level of exposure in all of News Corps media outlets, because the success of the NRL leads to $$ success for News Corp.

Channel 10 or similiar buying into the Kings or even the League would be free promotion for the sport every news service, every ad break, every sports tonight ep would lead with a bball story. It would be great (never happen of course).

Reply #209232 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Disappointing to see netball on there but no NBL.
While the new league is moving to new beginnings it's a shame we can't add fta coverage to that list of improvements.

Reply #209252 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see whether 10 actually get their own games to show, or just use the foxtel ones. (ie. in relation to NBA, NFL, MLB & NHL games). I really hope that channel 10 pays the extra money to get the rights to different games than foxtel shows, otherwise its just a token effort. (No offense intended to those of you without foxtel, obviously this is big news.)

Reply #209266 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HAHA

The Channel doesn't officially launch until April just before the next Trans-Tasman Netball Season.

The NBL will be dead by then and no one (not even BA) have any idea what the structure or timing of the NewBL.

It's impossible for a broadcaster to have rights to a competition which as yet does not exist and the broadcaster has no idea when the League will start or finish.

Reply #209305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754