Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night: Sixers and Blaze

Should be an easy W tonight, but who knows?

"They call me" Bruce should be too quick for Heal, but the question is who will win the turnover race?

The leagues leading rebounder should be no match for what's thrown at him, but the big Q is "How red will his arms be at the end of the game?" If I can hear the slaps in my seat, why can't the refs? All that slapping reminds me of Schutzenfest. Ach du lieber. Der reffing ist kaput.

The leagues leading scorer should acocunt for his man and really, it's hard to see GC win any of the matchups. Oh, except for Pero Cameron and Ryan Kersten, GC would win that one, both on and off the court.

Sixers by plenty, Heal fouled out in the fourth and Scotty to clear the bench with 3 mins to go. The Burdman to swish a 3.

Topic #18475 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Has Heal made the trip over?

Reply #217613 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

we'll ask Coady, he was off to the training session looking for a scrimmage

Reply #217614 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten!

LOL

thats if he isnt to busy steal hotdogs

Reply #217617 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Dreaming if you think this is a easy win. I expect to win, but dont be naive, this is very much a DANGER GAME 6ers by under 10 and expect it to be close midway through the 4th.

Reply #217626 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I could be wrong, just I live next to dome. From a distance, don't think I saw Heal.

Reply #217629 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

You should never be assured of a win lets hope the Sixes prevail. The Tigers only just won on Wednesday night with Cairns missing 2 imports Mee and Black plus their coach .The lowest score combined of all time!

Reply #217635 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

STAT:

"We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten! We want Kersten!

LOL

thats if he isnt to busy steal hotdogs"

You're on a roll, now get back lost on Sesame Street.

Reply #217637 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Plus Blaze pumped the Wildcats 2 weeks ago so they can not be underestimated at all.

Reply #217638 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

Jack 6ers have decided to suit me up tonight...

A few email dely problems due to 36ers christmas drinks on thursday night made it so paul didnt get back to me... im gonna have to wait till he come back from christmas break on 5th jan!!! so ill give the heads up before our 7th jan game

Reply #217641 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well done Coady!
Make sure you don't get #13 - that jersey is jinxed

Reply #217643 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

Where can I get the live scores?

Reply #217656 | Report this post

dougys69  
Years ago

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/1329/00/43/77/77PDpyXgEUMyA/

Reply #217657 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

Thanks heaps!

Question: Will Cooper score or rebound count be higher than his personal fouls?

Reply #217658 | Report this post

dougys69  
Years ago

when will the sixers play defence

Reply #217659 | Report this post

dougys69  
Years ago

62 against the Blaze at half time is disgusting

Reply #217660 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

Has Daniel Joyce really got 17 points?

Reply #217661 | Report this post

dougys69  
Years ago

looks that way

Reply #217662 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

Down 82 - 83 @ 3/4 time

Reply #217664 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

82 - 87 sorry

Reply #217665 | Report this post

dougys69  
Years ago

sixers D must really be rubbish

Reply #217666 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Sixers win 107-104.

Reply #217667 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

What's the opposite of clutch free throw shooting?? Sheesh, Schenscher and Hodge! Man that was nerve-wracking! Just glad to come away with it...

SoJ couldn't miss in the first three quarters. Blaze are much better than their record shows.

Reply #217668 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Oh... also,

Worst. Reffing. Ever.

Reply #217669 | Report this post

Update anyone?????

Reply #217670 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Won 107-104

Reply #217671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I counted 5 blaze travels that the refs missed.

Reply #217672 | Report this post

Frank  
Years ago

Was that SoJ or Ricky Rubio out there tonight?!

Reply #217674 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jules was moving around more freely, than the last 2 home games, where he was restricted with an ankle problem. Soj shot well, but our defence wasn't much, got better at the end. Good to win a close one.
I struggled with a lot of the ref calls. They didn't like Davo , called for a finger nail touch, and, let a lot of heavy bodywork go, missed a few travels and outta court obvious things.
Otherwise , a good close game, and, very enjoyable night. ( Just need that short 'dumpball' game at half time.... for an 'absolutely sweet ball')

Reply #217675 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

Fun, fun game!

The refs were awful. The out of bounds call on Maher when he was clearly being held and dragged down by his jersey was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Right in front of the ref. Geez.

Besides that, a real entertaining game. The Sixers made it as hard as they possibly could to get the win, but it was fun in the process.

Reply #217676 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

went to the game tonight, well done to the 36ers and also to the crowd.

Blaze had 6 players on the court for most of the night, how many times does Brendan Joyce need to be warned about stepping on the court before the umps give him a tech. He was in the refs ears most of the game. I'm sure if Scott did that as much as Joyce did, it would be a different story.

Thank you 36ers for a great Christmas present

Reply #217677 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Great game to be at. Very little defense from either team until the fourth quarter. Reffing was awful, nothing unexpected there. Credit to Maher, whose defence on Harvey after half time kept him to 4 points in the second half. We have massive problems on the defensive end getting around high screens. The Blaze's 3 point percentage was ridiculously good in the first half. Schensch tends to get dragged out too far on D as well and likes to switch off of his player which leaves the key wide open for the drive. Would be great if Hill could find some sort of consistency between brilliant and awful as well. Cooper should not be getting minutes - he does absolutely nothing.

Reply #217678 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Just got home from the game.

What a fantastic game of ball spoilt by the three blind mice. It is getting to the point that one of the Sixers is going to get seriously hurt because the three blind mice each week allow so much contact against the talls in particular. Brett was having his top held half the night, Luke and Balls were being man handled all night by a rotation of thugs with liberty to do whatever they liked.........and in the mean time we are being called for crap they would let go in under tens.

The must be bent........because I just can't imagine that anybody could possibly be so stupid!! Great win Sixers against 8 on court all night. Well, actually nine....coach Joyce was on the court so much he must be included in the stats!!

Reply #217679 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Well, that was exhausting! A fantastic game and a thrilling outcome, but I had been prepared for one of the lighter nights of the season.

Gold Coast got off to a great start on some superb outside shooting from Harvey, who nailed three triples in the first quarter. SoJ played as well as I have ever seen him tonight, and for the first 2.75 periods we had absolutely no answer. Bowen and Whitehead were both solid too, and I can see how these guys spanked Perth the way they did. Needless to say Heal's absence also helped them hugely.

For us, Hodge was fantastic, though his FT shooting down the stretch stunk. Indeed I really thought we were in for a repeat of the Cairns ending when Maher missed a wide open three, Ballinger a shot jumper from the rebound, then another close one off another board. It just didn't seem like we were going to be able to make the play that would put it out of reach. Great job by Bruce to stick both FTs in the last 20 seconds.

Ballinger had a pretty good game, and was much stronger on the boards than he has been of late. 3/3 triples too had both him and the crowd pumped.

Maher was very productive, though when he flat out fell over his own two legs at halfcourt and gave Demos a layup that lost the lead we had fought for 2 QUARTERS to get back it was deflating. He hit a massive three in the fourth when we had fallen 5 behind.

Schenscher had a great offensive start with 8 in the first, but the refs saw to it that he didn't have a monster game with some garbage calls. I agree with Herescenes above, and will add that the crew tonight reminded us of the natural order of things:

1) Man
2) Ape
3) Cockroach
4) Referee

Aaron Bruce had a pretty average game, and was badly beaten by Joyce, but he did step up to hit a massive three and the FTs in the fourth.

Holmes: might well actually be Tyndale in disguise. I don't know what has happened to him since Hodge has been in town, but he's really gone into his shell.

Brad Hill was again a great spark off the bench, with 9 points in limited minutes. It was a shame he couldn't complete that two-hander off the lob pass from Hodge.

Davidson's defense on Joyce in the second half was excellent, and his was a solid contribution which won't show up much on the stat sheet.

Cooper well, he inbounded the ball well a couple of times.

I thought that the Gold Coast got away with a ridiculous amount of travels, and in general I would describe their treatment by the three blind mice as favourable. The exception being Casey Frank. I know this guy is foul prone, but Jesus, what the hell were a couple of those for? 5 fouls in 5:20 of playing time, you have got to be kidding me? I thought he did well not to physically assault one or more of them.

As much as I don't care for him, or his awful father, I actually felt sorry for SoJ missing the shot that would have sent the game into overtime, as he had played a really great game. The Blaze were a hell of a lot better tonight than their record would suggest they are. Pero Cameron was quite a handful, and not just because he's a big fat pig, but because he played a really solid game. They need to get more out of Melmeth, and MacGregor is finished, but they functioned pretty well tonight and were very unlucky to lose.

All in all a very good win from Adelaide, against a team which desperately wanted it.

Reply #217680 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, I thought coach Joyce was extreme, going on the court, and, getting in the players and refs way, a few times. If I was a ref , I wouldn't put up with it.
Thought they missed a few techs, also.

Reply #217681 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The refs would have missed out on their Xmas bonus if they gave Joyce a tech!!!!!

Reply #217682 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

DANIEL JOYCE IS A WANKER.. na na na na na

=] smile.

Reply #217683 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

David Cooper has really faded this season. He does nothing these days. He's just a big man on the court to allow Balls and Schensh to rest up.

Coops use to be great energy off the bench. Pull 6 quick rebounds or block 3 shots. That is all missing now. He's totally crap and I dread seeing him on the court this season.

Glad to come away with the win tonight.

Cheerleaders looked great tonight.

Reply #217684 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am interested to hear Isaac's opinion on the officiating tonight. I can't believe anyone could have watched the game tonight and thought the refs did a good job. They were atrocious to say the very least. It just makes me so angry to watch the rubbish they let go on the opposition and then call the softest fouls on Adelaide. You could swear Pero had a love affair with Luke tonight. His arms were wrapped around him all game. What about all the pushing and travel calls missed tonight. What about the Blaze player (forgot who he was) tripped while he had possession of the ball, he fell to ground and then picked up the ball with both hands before dribbling again, not to mention the travelling in the meantime. I was so utterly disgusted with the performance of the refs it bordered onto conspiracy. All 3 needed a good swift kick up the backside tonight. A hard fought win tonight by the 36ers but it didn't have to be that hard.

Reply #217685 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Kobe, you must have some serious issues if you are prepared to get stuck into Daniel Joyce. The lad showed tonight that he can play and he was unstoppable in the first half and underestimated by the Sixers.
I agree with the comments about the refs, but having said that,if we had lost the game, it would have been our fault.
It does now seem that we are adopting the NBA interpretation of travels, ie there is no such thing. Some of the calls tonight were a disgrace and one would hope that those refs would get similar to a coach's decision next week.
Can someone please tell me if Winitana has any intention of being available at all this year again? I may be wrong, but when I saw him walking tonight, I think he was actually even favouring a leg then! Hell hasn't he been a great pick up!

Reply #217686 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Mutley, Holmes' hustle was outstanding. He was a big part of the win down the stretch on the defensive end. He doesnt get enough credit for his defence.

Reply #217687 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

To be honest, I don't really mind SoJ. He hammered Sixers on fouls a couple of times and was pretty quick to give them a hand up. He doesn't gloat or carry on or whinge, just gets on with it. Can't say I "felt sorry for him" missing the tying shot, Mutley, but I know what you mean.

He'd be nothing without his jumpshot, but he complements the team well, and doesn't turn it over much. I thought many of our guys who were assigned to him really underestimated him, didn't seem desperate enough to get a hand up when he was open from outside. He did get away with one blatant dive on a 3pt attempt, however.

Reply #217688 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

mmm . Thought I walked past Jordy, at half-time.. made me think about Coops...
A lot rock up at 5 to 7, about a thousand. (including me, and, only have to walk there.. took a long time to get in). crowd, 4938, I think was said.

Reply #217689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Winitana tell a couple of fans tonight that he got the OK to train again today.

Reply #217690 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Camel 31, I walked past Dodman at halftime and thought the same thing about Cooper.

Kobe, yes Holmes defense was great, and he's still a terrific rebounder for his size, but the offensive shell is what is concerning me. He was averaging about 12ppg through the first 13 games, about 2ppg since.

Reply #217691 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Cooper sucks, I agree, but I thought tonight was actually his best performance in the last few games. He didn't have many boneheaded fouls (at least not that I can remember), and he even seemed a little less laconic than usual on pulling down a couple of rebounds. Thought Ninnis did a good job managing the rotations tonight, all things considered, especially given Schensch had 3 fouls early in the 2nd.

Reply #217692 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Anon, great to hear that he's gotten the all clear to resume training in time for tomorrow's session. No, wait a minute, that's right...

Reply #217693 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I'd rather Holmes stay quiet and just do what he's doing well (ie. get boards and play defence), personally. They don't really need him to score.

Reply #217694 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Agreed about Holmes, his strength is his defence and rebounding. But there is always a potential problem when you have someone on court who is not an offensive threat.
Yes Coops did get a rebound or 2, but let's not get too carried away, most of the crowd would get a couple too if given the chance. Don't get me wrong, Coops has been a great servant of the Sixers, but his time is approaching (bit like M Hayden, but Coops would make more runs!).

Reply #217696 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with Jacob. He actually does a lot of team stuff that doesn't show up in the stats.

Reffing was absolutely Sh*thouse. The blue shirt refs at MARS do a better job.

Harvey was a freak. We didn't work out Pero Cameron's move.

Reply #217697 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am glad the Sixers lost the silly haircut competition. Did the GC players loose a bet?

They looked like a bunch of Bogans from Hackham West

Reply #217698 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

LOL Kobe-for-MVP (about SoJ). So true, so true.

SoJ MISSED THE GAME-TIER!!!

MISSED!!! BRICK!!!

It's laughable that he is given the ball at the end of games anyway but HE MISSED!!!

GOD IT WAS FUNNY!

Probably the second best moment of the year (behind Hinder getting dunked on).

What a great game.

Schenscher: Man-handled in the paint as usual but made some huge plays down the stretch and only missed one FG.

Big Balls: Great game, he was getting really fired up in the third when he hit two consecutive tre-balls. Was credited with one block but had more and was generally pretty good defensively on the Pimple (Whitehead) despite giving up a few too many O-boards.

Holmes: Argh! At least freakin rebound if you're not going to do shit else! One positive was a brilliant block (in the second, i think) but the Reftards had to put a stop to that didn't they.

JULIUS aka Beyonce: Quiet rebounding night (4) but everything else was outstanding. Funny to see him attempt 3 threes... even funnier to see him make one. They look like they're going to slide straight under the rim and out-of-bounds but somehow they stay above 10ft. 31pts 10asts if you didn't see. Fantastic game.

Brucie: Not bad, hit the game-winning free-throws in a showing that will make KingJames proud :P
Thought he had more than 3 assists. Had a calf iced-up after the game.

Coop: Don't understand the negativity towards him tonight. He only played 9mins, his D was great as always, grabbed 2 boards, didnt miss a shot (didn't take a shot) and didn't turn it over. The guy's not going to be 'the man' but don't act like he has a negative effect when he's on. He did his job.

Hill: Terrific first half. Made some awesome hustle plays on top of his 9pts on 4/8 shooting in 19mins. I just love how he attacks the rim in transition, while the D slows down, expecting him to hold it up and wait for his teammates, he just goes straight at the d for a layup. Unfortunate that he missed the alley from Hodge - you could see them planning that in the seconds before and they almost had it. Maybe next time.

Mahersy: One of his best games this year. He really gave us a spark off the bench and hit some veteran-like shots to regain the lead. He probably got hacked more than Schensch tonight, how many years does a guy have to play to get some love from the reftards???

Davo: Great to see him back. He had a quiet night stats-wise but did some great 1%ers as someone said.

GCB: Joyce is a wanker... either one, doesn't matter. It was painful seeing SoJ get handed so many wide-freakin-open threes!!! FFS guys, he is shit but not that shit. Well, okay, he IS that shit but he wasn't tonight. GET A FREAKIN HAND UP Hodge/Bruce!
Pero Cameron is a whale. He had a great game but should probably have gained fouls quicker than Frank the way he was grabbing and bumping on D.
Ben Melmeth is NBA-material, no doubt about it :P
Bowen is classy, except when at the FT line (0-5).
Great D effort on Harvey in the second half, I thought he was going to go for another 37 - he was hitting shots in the first half that you just cannot stop as a defender.
Demos: FLOPPER!!! Almost a better actor than SoJ.

Reftards: AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! IT's all been said. The no-call when Maher got dragged out of bounds was hilariously bad!
Great call from Schensch in the apollo room; "It's kinda hard when you have no idea what you can and can't do out there".

If I may quote Jack Toft: "Ach du lieber. Der reffing ist kaput." lol.

Kiosks: I want strong Iced Coffee! And stop giving me a dollar worth of twenty-cent-coins lol.

Little kids dancing at time out: Was that SoJ in the green?

Unfreakinbelievable game, but that D won't cut it against the Tiggers.

Reply #217699 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Very very entertaining game. Great game and great crowd. It's a shame that this game and the Sixers last one against Perth weren't on TV.

The Blaze definately played above themselves shooting some excellent percentages.

Best game I've seen SOJ play, although Bruce wasn't really playing him very well. Davidson did an excellent job in the second half fighting over the screen to prevent him launching threes.

Maher also did a nice job on Harvey in the 2nd half although it's always been a problem throughout Harvey's career in that he starts well and gets worse as the game goes on.

Also, how much does Brendan Joyce "overcoach"? It's as if he really just wants to be out there playing, continually stepping onto the court and giving his players never ending directions.

Reply #217700 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Despite the horrid umpires the game was very enjoyable and had a great pace and feel to it despite us being down most of the night. One thing that i could not work out the logic for was bruce on harvey, harvey was coming off the screens and his shots were just dropping i would have thought hodge's extra length would have helped a lot there. Brett did a great job on him towards the later part of the game. Hill was great again for the amount of burn he got and as mentioned it was a shame he could not finish that ally. Oh bonehead play of the night had to be that long 2 or three attempt by hodge right near the end of the game at a crucial time, just a brain snap i guess but that was painful.

As a small mention, the crowd was great again and its really made the last month or two a whole better experience, i imagine the import swap is getting less and less painful on the wallet as the weeks go bye.

Reply #217702 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

oh just forgot, thought davidsons D for that spell in the last quarter really was important. Just got into the faces of their guys, created some agro and started to turn the game.

Reply #217704 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Xztatik,
Like you said, the Apollo room quote from Luke basically said it all. Nice pickup with Julius "Beyonce" Hodge.

Reply #217706 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Thought Brad started off playing an awesome game, but then he seemed to let the reffing get to him and he lost his concentration.

Pleased that Jacob made himself a target in the post in transition, previous weeks he had not done that, but seeing that now, he will easily pick up points being a target on the fast break.

Surprised that they waited until half time or just after to change the team rule to go under screens. Harvey and particularly SoJ were no where near as comfortable getting their shots then.

Disappointed with the foul shooting all round apart from Aaron in the last quarter, that wont cut it against the better teams.

Reply #217707 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

XztatiK, you say that D won't cut it against the Tiggers. Did you see the Tiggers on Wednesday night against the Snakes? You won't need D against them. They were terrible, though Sam Mack apparently isn't far away.

Reply #217709 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I was surprised last night by how well Gold Coast played and could not understand why they are still bottom on the ladder. That position did not reflect the game they brought to Adelaide last night. They were shooting exceptionally well whereas Adelaide was not, but despite this Adelaide got the win. Then I started to think why Gold Coast are bottom on the ladder and yet were able to give Adelaide such a scare. What I was watching was Gold Coast getting a free run to do whatever they wanted to and Adelaide playing wearing shackles. Luke could not have said it better without coming straight out and saying the refs were shit. How can you have the freedom to play your best game when refs are so inconsistent with their calls and you don't know what you can or cant do. In that instance you have to err on the side of caution and that stops you playing as well as you can. For the person who said that if the 36ers lost that game it was their fault, that is not correct. They did miss a lot of their shots, particularly the free throw shots, but were always a more superior team to win that game, hence the predictions that it was going to be an easy win for the 36ers. It should have been an easy win. The fact they won it with such restrictions shows the true courage of the team. You will also note that every game that they have lost by very small margins have all be filled with controversy relating to the officiating.

Reply #217710 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The Blaze are a much better team without Heal in the line up

Reply #217716 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

First game my Dad has ever been to, He loved the crowd and the second half. For a guy that doesnt know much about Basketball he couldnt believe how often the Balze were holding our players and not getting called for it.

Kinda says someting to me when a non basketball fan notices how crap the referee's are.

Reply #217728 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Yes. Well there you go. A family, next to me walked out on the Hawks game, for that reason. " This is not basketball. " I nearly didn't go , after that 'game.'
Too much holding unto. But, Melbourne and Crocs games were refereed a bit better. Then, last nite at a good game, good music, good entertainment, they spoilt it.
Frustrating that we can see things from the stands, and, they are standing right next to it, and, don't call anything. It makes them look silly, and, people get angry.

Reply #217729 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BTW, I'm 99% sure I walked past Darren Ng at the game, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Marcus. Did anyone else see him? That's interesting that he's back here.

Reply #217732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren & his finance Tam are back in town his contract with Singapore is up and he is back to finish his internship. He was sitting with his parents in the audience. Jordan Dodman was also spotted sitting behind the blaze bench.

Reply #217733 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Nice, cheers anon.

Reply #217736 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Totally enjoyed last night. Even though we were jumped in the first half by an opponent that was launching plenty & hitting at 55%(?), the crowd was into it. I never thought the game'd be a blow out, & especially without Heal in the line-up.
I thought the Blaze put on a very credible showing & wish people would get off the SoJ hate bandwagon. He did himself a lot of credit with his performance last night & even though he got the numbers on the board, there wasn't the tool-fest that some here bring up on a too regular basis as the only side of him.
While we're at it, take some time to see what Jake & Coops bring to the game. Screw your stat-sheets, just keep an eye out for the work that they put in, for the team.
Had the pleasurable company of a first time 36er live viewing attendee, & know that he'll be back. He didn't give a sh1t that the venue was called "the Dome", it didn't seem important to him, he was absolutely intoxicated by what we have. He didn't care that he'd put enough money through the bar to've scored a season ticket, he had a great night out & no regrets.
Should I have brought up about how great it'd be to have a new stadium in the West Parklands? I'm afraid, it slipped my mind. ; )

Reply #217742 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

Id much rather have Mini Joyce playing against us than someone like Ingles. Ingles attitude sux. Think maybe Joyce has proved he can play and its time to move to a team where dads not the coach.

Reply #217745 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I see no reason why Joyce junior can't play where his father coaches. Last night he stood out on his own and there was no way that anyone could say he has earnt his place on the team because of his father. He has earnt his place purely because he is a good player and has worked hard at achieving that. I have no problem either with the number of minutes he gets on court because he is proving himself worthy of it and it all goes to future development. For all the SOJ bashers, there is a lot of humble pie waiting to be eaten. Don't choke on it.

Reply #217752 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Sure the kid can play but his still a wanker in my eyes ;)

didnt like a lot of things he did during that game, eg. holding, puching, flopping!!!, falling baack with his ego on free throws.

lets just shut the door on SOJ shall we

Reply #217753 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

EC, he's had games like that a few times. He usually just drops back into his regular 3pts on 1/9 shooting with 4 turnovers in 30mins.

btw, i believe in the previous game he had something like 5pts on 2/9 shooting in 40mins. I'm not eating humble pie because of one good game (which he ended up losing anyway), I'll give the pie to Pero*.

*1000th Pero fat joke and proud of it.

Reply #217770 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

love your work XztatiK

Reply #217777 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with XztatiK's game report besides the Bruce comment.

The coaching staff had 3 days to come up with a plan to shut down Harvey who scored 37 points (8/13 3's) on Wednesday. So what do they do? They put probably the worst perimeter defender that starts in the league on him. When someone is in hot form like that you don't make it easy for them to get a good start to the game! Can someone tell me why you would rather start Bruce on Harvey compared with Hodge whom has length and will challenge his shot?

Later we make the changes and put Bruce on Joyce who goes for 22 points and probably his best game ever. Is that just a magical coincidence? For Daniel Joyce to score 22 points is embarrassing! Everyone is going on about how we should get off his back since he scored 22 points on us and therefore must be a good player. I think that is rubbish! I would agree with it if all his shots were contested shots but they weren't! He had so many open 3's while Bruce was on him as he continued to go under the screen. It's not like Joyce would be a threat driving the ball with our bigs inside, so instead lets give him open 3's! Also another great play when Bruce forgot who he was guarding and they came down gave the ball to Daniel for an open 3. In the last quarter Davidson was on Joyce and made him totally ineffective hopefully Bruce learns from this! Bruce has been improving on his defence lately but he went back to his old terrible defensive ways in that game!

I can't understand everyone giving credit to Jacob (30 minutes 2 points, 5 rebounds). He was matched up on Whitehead in that first quarter and Whitehead either drove and scored or drove and passed for assist. He did whatever he wanted on Jacob. The only reason Jacob was on for so long was due to Schenscher's foul problems.

We really did not deserve that game but in the end we won due to our superior team.

The last quarter we held them to 17 points which is a good effort but for them to score 87 points in 3 quarters of basketball prior to the last quarter is pathetic! This was the bottom side with what I think is the worst coach in the league!

Also XztatiK felt I should be happy with Bruce hitting those foul shots. I was happy he hit those foul shots but no one has mentioned his play was absolutely stupid! In no professional league would someone drive with 16 seconds left on the shot clock and 19 seconds on the game clock! The only exception would be if the person was going to easily score, as far as I'm aware his shot was contested by 2 people at the ring. Luckily for him he got fouled driving so he had 2 shots and made both of them! If he had missed the shot or lost the ball they would have had 15 seconds and only be down by 1. Would you all have given him pats on the back then?

Another note is why did we only send one person in to contest Schenschers foul shot which he ultimately missed and looked like we could have contested for the rebound! Was this just a poor coaching plan? Do the coaches feel we don't have the ability to run back with our man or was this just players being lazy? Until Schenscher shoots at 100%, there is no reason why at a crucial point in the game that there should be only one person contesting for a rebound from a foul shot!

At one point while the game was on in the last quarter the umpire Hunt had to physically push Brendon Joyce out of the way as he was in his way. An umpire should not have to put up with that and should have given him an instant tech. It is ridiculous what they let Brendon Joyce get away with!

On the other hand, due to the struggle and the eventual win by the Sixers the crowd were very entertained and enjoyed the game. So that is a good thing to come out of the game.

Reply #217832 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

KingJames, you are correct to point out the idiocy in that last play. We should have run an iso play with Julius in the last 3-4 seconds of the shot clock. We would have been better off getting a shot clock violation with 3 seconds of game time left than a risky missed layup giving them an outlet pass with 15 seconds on the clock.

That, and Hodge's ugly three point attempt with a minute on the clock, were both monumental errors (with lucky outcomes). Any other day and those errors lose you the game.

Reply #217846 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

FFS KJ, I've only gotten half way through your drivel & here's why:

KingJames:

"We really did not deserve that game but in the end we won due to our superior team"

Yeh, the team that had liabilities like Aaron, Jake, Coops & the side-lined through injury, Winnie & Ryan. Not to mention the no chance to play Eze & Hobes in a close one.

FFS Scottie, play our game winning 5 for 48 minutes, & we're guaranteed a title, by our royal KJ.

Reply #217847 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DDFan if you are going to comment on my post at least have something constructive to say, not just make up stuff.

If you felt we deserved to win that game please tell me why that was so? Furthermore explain to me why even Ninnis basically said we were lucky to escape with a win?

Where did I say we have to play our game winning 5 for 48 minutes you idiot?

I would prefer it if you didn't read my post DDFan as you keep on making your self look like you have no basketball knowledge whatsoever when you reply to my post!

Reply #217856 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Pardon multiple posts, but I'm taking this one idiot quote at a time.

KingJames:

"The last quarter we held them to 17 points which is a good effort but for them to score 87 points in 3 quarters of basketball prior to the last quarter is pathetic!"

I don't know how long ago it was that you had your umbillical cord cut, but from my experience, 75 points at 3/4 time is almost mandatory (unles you're playing a scragfest against a well oiled goorj machine). Let me see, 87 minus 75 over 3 quarters, is a 3 point incrimination/quarter. Whooooooa, you have a point there.

Even at my late stage in life, there's more to come.

Reply #217857 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

OK KingJames, I'll go face to face with you on this one.

How about you answer this question that I put to you when you chose to broadcast your wisdom on OzHoops (the site you choose to spread your word)?

Sachmo wrote:

"But that seemed to be how they were calling it throughout the night, I've never seen so much blatant pushing from both sides go uncalled. No wonder it got firey"

DDFan:

"I've seen the same thing happen in a couple of recent home games here too (Adelaide). It seems word has gotten out that the way to play the 36ers is to beat'm up. Refs don't seem to be calling it early, then go with the flow to be consistent. One week players were blatantly bulldozing straight into stationary players with elbows out. Next week it was elbows with the push off, which then escalated to players being thrown to the floor.
Someone's going to get hurt if it's not snuffed out quick smart. I'd hate to think that it came down to tactics that you send out a chump player to take out an opposition name player, knowing if you got suspended, that next game was winnable anyway.
I'm all for big guys bodying up & muscling for position, but thuggery & potential harm, shouldn't be any part of it.

KingJames (Postby KingJames on Mon 15Dec, 7:47pm):

"Please excuse DDFan's exaggeration he doesn't know what he is talking about!"

DDFan (by DDFan on Wed 17Dec, 2:19pm):

"Please let us all hear the correct version then."

Please note. No response from KingJames as of the 17Dec.

Reply #217860 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Well thank you for showing not only you know nothing about basketball but don't have the necessary maths skills to work out 12/3 is actually 4 points per quarter.

Furthermore, here you are trying to say 87 points by 3 quarter time isn't really that bad of a defensive job lol :P

They normally average 72 points by 3 quarter time. So you think 15 extra points by 3 quarter time is a good defensive effort? That's funny! Even Ninnis said we had really bad defence and here you are trying to be a clown and say I am wrong in suggesting that our defence was terrible up to that point. Every knowledgeable basketball fan knows that was a terrible defensive effort up to that stage.

As to your other post Isaac should delete that! You seriously have mental problems! Stop bring up stuff from the past! I actually answered it in the Wildcats vs 36ers thread (#216912).

All you are trying to do is attack me for anything you can but you are making your self look like a fool with stupid arguments.

Reply #217861 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

While we're in the mood for bringing up old posts:

"KingJames, I have noticed that DD TENDS TO BE MAKING A BIT MORE SENSE IN SOME OF HIS POSTS RECENTLY... sometimes (sometimes). Maybe Isaac just wants him to stay like that. Don't get me wrong, he's still a complete asshole, BUT HE IS MAKING SLIGHTLY MORE SENSE. Maybe his dealer got busted or something."

I take back everything that's written in capitals.

DD, your argument is ridiculous, in fact, I'm not sure I even know what your argument is anymore... but I'm assuming it's ridiculous.

Giving up 87 points to the worst team in the league by 3qtr time is a TERRIBLE defensive effort. *and you should probably invest in a calculator.

Reply #217864 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Is it possible KJ that you are under estimating the Blaze?

They were 10/16 at the half from 3 which is very good going regardles if shots are contested or not.

They have a reasonable roster that is not getting it done for whatever reason. On their night they can and do proove to be quite capable

They did beat Perth by 32 only 2 weeks ago and put 129 on them while they were at it.

They have also only lost to the Breakers by 3 and beaten the 4th ranked Crocs as well.

Reply #217865 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kent, there is no doubt in my mind that the Blaze are a good basketball team despite what their season record indicates. They have a talented team however as you said they can't put it together. Also I think they are a MUCH better team without Heal in the line up. I think their problem is with their coach who constantly subs players in and out of games whilst also giving his son too many minutes.

Teams can still play good defence and the other team get 87 by 3 quarter time however, I don't think this was one of those games. This game our defence was terrible. Similar to the Perth first half.

I think if we play defence like that against the Tigers we will get beaten very easily.

Reply #217870 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Fair enough i reckon if you reduced the threes they hit in the first to a normal clip say 40% or say 6/14 the extra 4 they hit give you 12 extra points on freaky shooting

Reply #217875 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Elaine says: Maybe there's more to Newman than meats the eye.

Jerry says: No. There's less.

Kent Brockman says: Maybe the Blaze are better than we think.

X says: No. They're worse.

...in other words, the Gold Coast is the NBL's Newman.

Reply #217882 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

OK KJ, my maths aren't great, so yeah, it's 4 points/quarter.
Where we're at odds, is that you're implying that with the Blaze getting 62 points in the first half (I'm choosing the first 1/2, explanation to come), it was through our bad defence. Granted, that's a lot more than any coach would want to conceed. But, they hit 60% from outside the arc in the 1st quarter, & still maintained 55% for the half. That's shooting at a ridiculously good clip like Kent suggested.
You say the Blaze are the worst team in the league, so that shouldn't happen. Well I've got news for you, every now & then a team clicks on the night & everything drops. I'm with you that the Blaze play better without Heal, & they played out of their skins on Saturday night.
As to Bruce's defence on Daniel, I remember watching 2successive plays (in the 2nd half), where Aaron was manning SoJ, but then went inside to help in the bench-side base-line key. In both cases, outlet passing got the ball through hands & back to Daniel for the uncontested 3. Both events occurred right in front of Scotty & he didn't ball Aaron out over it.
You dissect every little mistake as if it should never have been allowed to happen. That's what gets up my nose & why I let you know about it. The game's played in real time & with split second decisions. You on the otherhand, plough through your freak'n stat sheet & split hairs days later.
Get over yourself.

Reply #217910 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Granted, that's a lot more than any coach would want to conceed. But, they hit 60% from outside the arc in the 1st quarter, & still maintained 55% for the half."

...yes, because their outside shots were NOT contested.

Reply #217911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

poor defense often contributes to higher shooting percentages from the opposition.

Reply #217912 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KingJames, I agree with most of what you say, particularly Bruce's moves in the last 15 seconds. I was nearly pulling my hair out watching him make such an idiotic rushed shot that really had more chance of failing than succeeding. However, you state that we were lucky to win that game and that was backed up by Ninnis saying the same thing. Did Ninnis actually say why we were lucky to win that game. All game long Ninnis was extremely frustrated by the refs calls and lack of calls. Do you think he meant that we were lucky to win it because the refs made sure they did everything they could to ensure we didn't win it. Could we have been lucky considering the hurdles the refs put in our way?

Reply #217915 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DDFan - "You dissect every little mistake as if it should never have been allowed to happen. " I would say 6 to 7 open uncontested 3's by Bruce (as well as the 3 foul he committed) as monumental errors in a professional league. No coach is going to go mental at a player for making a mistake. I would imagine the coaching staff would be going through this tape this week and showing him where he went wrong.

EC - Ninnis didn't mention anything about the refs in the interview and was animate that Blaze were very unlucky to win and focussed more on talking about our poor defence.

http://linky.com.au/71pbg

Personally, I didn't think the refs were any worse then their normal crappy self. I guess I am just getting accustomed to the inconsistent and poor decisions/non decisions as well as the Schenscher man handling. There was 29 fouls called against them which is alot. Great work by Frank getting 5 fouls in 5 minutes :) Sure there could have been more called but some of the fouls that were called were soft so maybe it balances it self out. Either way they are still at their very poor standard!

Reply #217937 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Most of Harvey's 3's in the first half were hit over d or coming off a screen where he still had a hand in his face.

No amount of d was stopping him from hitting.

We won isn't that the objective?

KJ maybe you should send your thoughts into the coaches and see what they think?

Reply #217938 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kent, I thought the 2 early 3's Harvey hit on Bruce where he came off a screen weren't really contested. Bruce got caught up on the screen and Harvey had more then enough time to shoot it in rhythm without worrying about getting his block shot or contested. We can agree to disagree though :)

We won but could have easily lost by the way we played. The defence needs to be fixed or we will struggle against Melbourne this week.

I don't think the coaches would care what I would have to say. Also I wouldn't be telling them anything new on this game they will see there was lots of open 3's on the video and would know it from watching it live also.

Reply #217963 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Once again Kent, thank you passing on what actually happened at the game. In a way, post #217742 confirms the obvious that we speak of, considering it came from a first time live game attendee, with no bias or agenda. One of the observations that he commented on, was that the Blaze were hitting extremely difficult shots under a lot of pressure. He asked how do you stop players of that calibre (like I said, he didn't know where the Blaze were on the table)? He recognised that they'd bodied out our defence, gained good position, & shot unbelievably well.
The guy is a sports nut, any sport. He WILL be back, because he enjoyed the game, like almost every other person on the night. Sure we beat a low ranked team by a handful of points & mistakes were made, but it was a great game. That, is all that matters.
XztatiK, thanks for the heads up earlier that occassionally I make sense, but it all comes unstuck, if you later imply that something that you don't understand, is ridiculous.

Reply #217974 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

KingJames:

"I don't think the coaches would care what I would have to say"

Not consistent on what you've said before. Where's that email you got? : )

"Also I wouldn't be telling them anything new on this game they will see there was lots of open 3's on the video and would know it from watching it live also"

Hence:

"I don't think the coaches would care what I would have to say"

Your words, not mine.

Enjoy the day.

Reply #217982 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Not consistent on what you've said before. Where's that email you got? : )"

and what did I say before?? You tell me about the email that apparently backfired because I would like to know also.

As to your other piece of shit point, what are you trying to say? You have no point! I am stating the obvious to them so not sure why you are posting that like a smart ass.

Also I think you need to go read over your post about the game and stick to one story instead of making your self look like a fool as you can read below:

First you say it wasn't bad defence.
Your next post you say it was bad defence then rebutted your first post by giving examples of bad defence.
Now you are agreeing with some guy who's first game it was that we played good defence "Blaze were hitting extremely difficult shots under a lot of pressure". Perhaps we should sack Ninnis who said our defence wasn't good and replace him with this guy who's first game it was.

Surely you couldn't be that dense that you keep changing your story whenever it suits you! Sorry but it just makes you look stupider.

I will have a nice day thank you :)

Reply #217985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

king james i am sick and tired of ya continually criticizing players.

read this on aaron bruce then give the kid a break he is a rookie in his first season as a pro

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Bruce-344/

If you are looking for an efficient, steady floor general capable of getting the ball to the right people in the halfcourt and keeping the mistakes to a minimum, Bruce probably isn't your guy. He just isn't where he needs to be physically, earning low marks in athleticism and body composition. There is certainly potential for significant physical improvement, but little noticeable improvement took place between his freshman and sophomore seasons. Bruce has more than enough craft to get his shot off in the lane on dribble penetrations, but doesn't have the physical strength to power his way through defenders and finish at the rim. For this reason, he rarely gets all the way to the basket even at the NCAA level. He is an opportunistic defender, but doesn't like to get physical and would much rather gamble from the weak side than get physical and slide his feet. His defensive liability can be marginalized in certain systems, but is a definitely issue when games are played more in the halfcourt. Bruce also has a tendency to attempt difficult, complicated passes, which can lead to periods of poor decision making when things shouldn't be complicated.

Where Bruce really excels is in the open court. His ability to create fast break opportunities for his teammates by passing the ball from the backcourt is nearly unparalleled at the NCAA level. His creative forays are nearly always set up well before the defense realizes what is happening, usually with a well-timed jab step, dribble drive, look off, pump fake, or body contortion. He sees holes in the defense on the fly, and does a great job of identifying ideal scoring situations for specific teammates. Bruce is the type of point guard that is a constant threat to burn a defense with the ball in his hands, and really forces the opposing help defenders to keep one eye open as far as heading over at moment's notice.

Reply #217988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the point im trying to prove is that bruces positives i think out weigh his negatives and we still won the game didnt we? who really cares if they got hot on a few shots, there professional players they are paid to make big shots.

king james is a perfect example of a armchair analyst.

easy to try and knock a kid down, simply be happy we won and that he is young and can always improve.

imagine next year king james when davo and maher arent there who we going to turn to? kersten or burdon? its going to be bruce, so let him get experienced and if he makes mistakes whice he has in a few games but who cares really?

Reply #217991 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

OK KJ, I'll humour you, even though I have you pegged as a self-indulgent, & misguided pompous oaf.

The most hated poster:

"Not consistent on what you've said before. Where's that email you got? : )"

KJ:

"and what did I say before?? You tell me about the email that apparently backfired because I would like to know also"

Somewhere on these boards, you asked for email contact from someone, so that they could witness the recognition that you'd received by email, from the coaching staff/office. I wouldn't put that on my epitaph as a lifelong achievemant, but that's just me. Thing is, did you expect anything other than a politically polite mail back?
Get over yourself.
Oooops, I'm repeating myself. : )

Reply #217993 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KingJames, could it be that Ninnis did not talk about the refs because its taboo unless your club is happy to accept a nice fat fine from the NBL? Off course he is not going to come out and directly say the refs stuffed it up. If you watched him during the game, his body langauge said more about the refs than any interview.

Reply #218024 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Dear Anonymous,

I am sorry for criticising your beloved Bruce. Also thank you for posting an article which basically said the same thing that I said and that he is a poor defender. If Ballinger had made the same mistake 6-7 times I would have criticised him instead so I am not picking on your Bruce. However, his terrible defence in this game could have cost us the game and that is why I pointed it out. Do you feel we should only say positive things about our players? Do you feel that Bruce had a good defensive game and so therefore what I said was unjust? Do you feel because it is Bruce's first season he should be immune from any criticism?

I am not knocking down the kid I know he is an exceptional player and with some experience will be a force in this league. However, if he doesn't fix his defence he wont be going to Europe, NBA or anywhere. Bruce started the season playing bad defence but has since started to improve however last game went back to his old ways and got destroyed by probably the worst point guard in the league.

I think we have a championship team but until we fix up the defence then we don't have a chance! Defence starts with fundamental defence which Bruce struggled on in that game.

You act like next year there will be no point guards available but it isn't really that desperate of a situation. Scott Cooks, Lindsay Tait, Damian Martin, Luke Martin are all quality point guards that will be looking for a job next season. Not to mention college players. Also with Ballinger becoming an Australian and if Maher leaves that makes more salary cap to get another import. I would actually like Bruce to stay for seasons to come but would like him to work on his defence so he isn't a defensive liability. He is a hard working player so i'm sure his aware of his bad defence in that game and will come out against the Tigers with more motivation on his defence.

DDFan - What would you consider an email backfiring to mean? You would think it would be the coaching staff or whoever saying "We don't need your help dont ever email us again" nothing like that ever happened, so I'm sorry to spoil your imagination on that one but if you would like to keep dreaming you are more then welcome to.

Also I think you are still the most hated poster by a long shot whom has also been threatened to be banned. I have never been threatened to be banned from this site. People would label me as the most (over) critical poster which I don't mind because I believe this team can win a championship this season but unless they don't fix their defence and at times match ups/rotations we don't have a chance.

EC - What you said is possible that he didn't want to talk about it. His body language is like that every game. I agree that he seems to get a rough deal almost every game by the umpires and if he complains to them during the game it seems they don't listen or are more inclined to warn him while other more established coaches get better treatment.

Reply #218067 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Honestly KJ, do you really think the coaching staff or whoever are going to tell you rack off?
Get a grip man, you're a valuable fan (no more than any other though), so they'll bin your giberish, send a thank you email, & you're content with the world.
-------------------------
I would be the most hated & I have previously been banned, because I've never been subtle with people who talk themselves up, or post misleading crap. As black & white as that may sound, the one thing that really gets up my nose, is someone looking at the game with a single focus, on a single aspect of the game.
I appreciate the effort that you put into your posts, but I don't have the drama queen view of the game, or of the players, that you continually project.
It's a game, & they're human. That's not too hard to sort out, is it?

Reply #218107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754