DJM
Years ago

Cattalini Ejection?

For those at tonight's game, just wondering about Cattalini's ejection that didn't happen. Sitting at the other end, we saw the Cattalini bump Schench and then the ref call the foul and point to the door. Crowd went wild at our end. Next we see the Cat chat to the ref, sit on the bench and a double tech called.

Can someone sitting at that end lead us through the action and explain the umpiring decision/s.

Ta

Topic #18668 | Report this topic

Chewy316  
Years ago

He didn't push Schensh. He pulled his pony tail from behind. I thought he was ejected aswell. Don't think it was a double tech though, because Holmes was the only guy shooting free throws.

Reply #220657 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The ref certainly signaled that Catt was to leave the stadium floor but then changed his mind.

Reply #220660 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

From what i could see the ref signalled a double tech and ejection on Cattalini PLUS and technical on Schenscher hence Holmes having 2 free throws. After consulting with the other two umpires i believe a 1st quarter suspension was enforced.

Reply #220661 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

After it all happened the ref from what I could see from the players race was talking to Ninny and saying that he basically jumped the gun on the ejection and was only going to give the 1 technical.

Reply #220663 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

This 1st quarter suspension i believe is the same that Anstey recieved last time the Tigers played here

Reply #220664 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Good to see the usual crap standard from Haines and Filmer, but who was that other peanut? I think he was trying to be best on court for Cairns!!

Reply #220665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no such thing as a quarter suspension in basketball.

first foul was on 50 no shots
second foul was on cat technical 2 shots to holmes
third foul was on cat technical 2 shots to holmes

Reply #220666 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - Jacob only had 2 shots.
Cat only got 1 foul.

Reply #220669 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

we need to know the rules on this. Its crazy that we have seen this twice and everyone is clueless as to what happened. Maybe they should announce what and who the T's were on etc.

Reply #220675 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Looked like the ump signalled an ejection, nut changed his mind/ was talked out of it by the other umpires.

Reply #220683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref signalled 2 techs and ejection but then went and talked to Cat and then went to the bench and called 1 tech fould only.

Reply #220684 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm gonna be all warm & fuzzy here, so get your brown bags out.
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when our starting 5 came out on court the Cat went to them & shook/hugged them all. Both the Cat & Darnell have fond memories as 36ers.
The incident with the initial foul call was too quick for me, all I saw was Luke with the ball close to his chest, wildly swinging around (I thought elbows in) & then Boods(?) went to the floor. Whethet the Cat thought Luke had connected with an elbow, I don't know, but then there was the tug on the pony & it was on. Mass confusion on my part, but if one of the refs consulted with Scotty, I'd wager that Scottie would've been again having the Cat ejected (very good buddies).
The Cat's always had a bit of fire in him, so we shouldn't be surprised that he reacted. Luke didn't seem to want to back down either, maybe a bit of the redhead? ; )
I'm sure they'll all catch up & laugh about it over a few drinks.

Reply #220686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can have as many techs as you like and not get ejected. This is a new rule and sapwell explained it after the melbourne game when anstey got two techs.

Reply #220690 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

I saw from the western end,probably 5 minutes before this Luke hold Crosswhaite in a hold,pinning his arms for a few seconds and then release him when 36ers gained possesion.Then he turned and (reading Lip-sync)said "How do you like if I do it to you?".
So I gather from this he was stewing tonight and maybe had some memories from the last game.
Also stuff you Foxtel.There wont be any Images of this anywhere on Youtube.If you werent there ,you missed a bloody good Toe to Toe.
Sapwell mentioned up in the Appollo they were lucky Davidson wasnt on court at the time,LOL.

Reply #220692 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Does Sapwell compere the after match function?

Reply #220695 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Potsie usually has the compering duties, but tonight it was Sapper (as it should be every time, because he does a better job than anyone else in recent years bar Peter Walsh).

Reply #220704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor call, should have gone IMO

Reply #220706 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I don't care if it is a local umpire or a national league umpire, you can not change your mind on a call like that. It's just bullshit. Unless there is a bit of question for a call like a charge/blocking situation, you should not be able to consult and change your mind.
Can you imagine a ump calling a travelling call and then talking to the player, with the player saying "Nah ref, i didn't walk!", and then the ump giving the ball back to the travelling player. It just doesn't happen. It doesn't send a good message to young budding umpires. Learn to stand up for yourself.

Reply #220713 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

DD if you want a full rundown:

Schensch rebounded while VALE and SMITH pounced on him to knock the ball loose and deny the outlet. Schensch swung his shoulders and elbows around to get loose, as he is allowed to do. Vales reaction was to fall over (freakin flopper) while Smith instead bumped/pushed Schensch. Then pplay stopped and they started to tussle and just as it was getting broken up, the Cat came in for the red furball. then they started to tussle, with Cat throwing elbows to Svhensch's throat and the rest of the Taips ganged-up on Luke, almost sending him over the railing. Then eventually it was broken up and a ref signalled two techs and an ejection (I assumed the ref forgot that two techs no longer results in an ejection).
Did I miss anything?

No hard feelings for Cat here, he seems to do something stupid every time he comes here but if the 6ers can keep forgiving him then so can I lol... but Smith is a Julius.

Reply #220714 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

i think the other refs name was hayden highpants!!!

Reply #220716 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Fact - The ref signalled Cat to leave.
Question - Is that a "reversible decision?"

Reply #220717 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Two Techs on a player has never been an ejection

Reply #220724 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Cool X, thanks for the replay. Like I said, it was all too quick for me, but I do recall thinking Vale (all I could remember was the bloke had fair hair) flopped big time.

Reply #220726 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

There was also a big time flop at the western end when Ballinger was called for a charge. Can't remember who dived though.

Reply #220734 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

i'm glad cat stayed around. It wasn't worthy of an ejection -Cat just loves a bit of niggle and is highly competitive. The irony is that normally cat and darnell are fan favourites and it is great to see them back in town on the sixers floor although cat's popularity took a dive in some sections of the crowd last night. I am guessing he, brett and scot would have been laughing later on about how close he came to getting thrown out which he certainly would not have wanted.
Seemed no hard feelings at end of the game just a competitive game and highly entertaining.

Reply #220736 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJM, that was either Boodnikoff or Vale. However, the same thing happened at our end with Davidson taking the charge(making the most of it). So at least there was some consistency but you are right it shouldn't have been a charge on Ballinger (or Grabau).

Reply #220737 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

FM , if its never been and ejection explain how lanard got ejected with 2 techs last season.

Reply #220743 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The umpires can decide to throw out a player with 1 tech or 10 techs. It so happened that the umpire threw lanard out with 2 techs which is not a magic number but rather the umpires choice based on the circumstances.

Reply #220746 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Can't the ref not send someone off immediately regardless for insighting violence? I thought that was what had happened. It wasn't Cat's battle yet he brought in upon himself to make a potentially nasty situation much worse. I mean there was nearly an 'all-in' around his antagonistic actions....

Anyway excellent game.. and they all kissed and made up on court after the game... I even saw Maher pull on the back of Cat's hair and they laughed at each other. Cat and Luke shook hands and had a laugh also.

Reply #220747 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I believe in the NBA it is 2 techs and your out. Is that correct?

Also the 1st quarter suspension does sounds ridiculous and i agree is not a rule. Could anybody explain why Cat and Anstey both were kept out of the game during the healthy remainder of the 1st quarter(I believe Ansteys was the first half). Was it a coaches decision?

Reply #220753 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

All I know about the new ref is he got about 5 calls where the ball went out for the complete WRONG team. Some of the were blatant, players from both teams couldnt beleive it.

Reply #220776 | Report this post

Duke  
Years ago

Did Mee touch the ball in the final quarter when he was recovering it from the back court? I couldn't tell if I tried to grab it and fumbled, or just decided at the last second to let it go out.

Reply #220779 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

He let it go & was disgusted the ref didn't acknowledge why. Not saying Darnell was right, but that's how it went down.

Reply #220786 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

From where I was sitting, it looked like Luke was just as much in the wrong with the way he reacted. Mind you I said to myself, good on you Luke for being tough and finally reacting to this bullshit treatment you continually get on court and unpunished by the refs. What was the the final decision? Was there 1 Tech each for Cattalini & Schenscher (as it should be) or was it 2 on Cattalini and none on Schenscher? I was really surprised that Cattalini at that stage would be completely ejected from the game although it appeared that way.

Reply #220787 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

EC, that's how I saw it. Luke wanted to go on with it, was physically restrained, & we should ALL know, the Cat ain't going to hold down.
I didn't see Brett tug on Catt's hair at the close, but that goes with my earlier post that Martin's not a personality threat to our guys (they know & understand him). There're things that happen on court & then there're things that happen off court. Two different worlds, enjoy the entertainment & don't get caught up in your posse mentality.
I hope the guys all had a good time laughing it off last night & happily wore hang-overs this morning.

Reply #220794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless there is a bit of question for a call like a charge/blocking situation, you should not be able to consult and change your mind.
Bolks, what about the out-of-bounds call that saw Haines rightfully overridden by another ref?

The change in call was fair enough IMO. What Cat did was very unnecessary but not really that worthy of a guaranteed ejection. I wonder if Luke had had more experience playing against cheeky Cat if he would've reacted so strongly? Though, as EC said, always good to see Luke fire up.

Reply #220860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there footage of it anywhere? missed it last night

Reply #220869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On the Darnell OOB play, it looked like he just touched it and then wished he hadn't as he retracted his hands.

Reply #220881 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

to my knowledge of rules on disqualification and ejection, without the signal of a disqualification foul first before the dramatic "pointing to the changerooms"(2 fists held up in the air not straight up but from elbows... kinda like flexing ur biceps lol) then pointing to the changerooms is... just... pointing to the changerooms. so any decision can be adjusted from that point.

Reply #220896 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

From where I sat, he had plenty of time to scoop the ball up, but decided to let it go for possession & a clock reset. He looked bewildered that the ball was given to the 36ers.
Anyway, you say, I say. Stop being a troll. : P

Reply #220900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't have been a shot clock reset. Cairns had not lost possession of the ball. if he had let the ball go out over the end line he would have got the ball back from the end line with 6 seconds on the clock so he wasn't going for a shot clock reset.

Reply #220910 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The third Ref was Scott Beker from Newcastle NSW. He has recently been elevated to Level 1 panel.

The box scores for this game indicates only 1 technical for the game on Cattalini

Reply #220963 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the play-by-play from the NBL site (in reverse chronological order):

12, Jacob Holmes, substitution in  	15-15  	0  	
05:01 15-15 0 timeout full
05:01 10, Luke Schenscher, substitution out 15-15 0
05:01 10, Luke Schenscher, substitution in 15-15 0
05:01 12, Jacob Holmes, substitution out 15-15 0
05:01 12, Jacob Holmes, freethrow made 15-15 0
05:01 11, David Cooper, substitution in 14-15 -1
05:01 10, Luke Schenscher, substitution out 14-15 -1
05:01 12, Jacob Holmes, freethrow made 14-15 -1
05:01 13-15 -2 32, Dean Brebner, substitution in
05:01 13-15 -2 8, Aaron Grabau, substitution in
05:01 13-15 -2 20, Gary Boodnikoff, substitution out
05:01 13-15 -2 6, Martin Cattalini, substitution out
05:01 13-15 -2 6, Martin Cattalini, foul technical
05:01 10, Luke Schenscher, foulon 13-15 -2
05:01 13-15 -2 50, Matt Smith, foul personal
05:02 10, Luke Schenscher, rebound defensive 13-15 -2

Reply #220965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By that play by play it shows Schenscher got subbed out then back in then back out again all in 0 seconds. It also shows Holmes got subbed out after his foul shots, but got subbed back in before the ball was even passed in again. Strange.

Reply #220966 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Worst thing was I could not join in the booing of Cat as was a favourite plyr and great memories of him at Sixers

Reply #220969 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Anon, they tried to sub Schenscher back in after the free throws but weren't allowed to, you can't sub off then back on without time coming off the clock.

Reply #220972 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Beker should be sent straight back to Sesme Street where he belongs.

Reply #221133 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Anonymous:

"Wouldn't have been a shot clock reset. Cairns had not lost possession of the ball. if he had let the ball go out over the end line he would have got the ball back from the end line with 6 seconds on the clock so he wasn't going for a shot clock reset."

Cheers, I'm not too bright on the techo stuff, so assumed that's what may have been behind it all.

Reply #221171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754