Barak 'E' Bomber!
Years ago

Erik "Eze" Burdon

This has to be a point of serious discussion now.

Will he be another talented South Australian player who never gets the chance to show his stuff during quality minutes on court?

He has serious game, both on defence and offence.

Im not suggesting this season, but in coming years?
After a showing like that on Fox, will other teams now be after his services?

Thoughts?

Topic #18812 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Guy is a ledg, should get more court time. I think everyone agrees.

Give him more time this season (who from?)
Promote him off the rookie list next season.

Reply #222904 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

By my calculations at the rate of 9 points in 3 minutes, he would have scored 144 if he played the whole game. Now that seems rather silly but you can't hide from the fact that he can seriously add value to a game. He needs to be brought on more often and definitely every time there is a boost in score required.

Reply #222919 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

His three point shot looks good but his D? Hardly a showing yet, give the guy some time to develop and adapt to NBL.

Reply #222920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could try his hand in the NZ NBL instead of with North. Would be an import, but I think he is good enough to be an option there. Good numbers over there might get him more attention.

Reply #222925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the average wage over in the NZ NBL?

Reply #222928 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac,
That is a very good suggestion, give yourself a ball!

He has won the medal in the local league and is probably odds on for a back to back in 2009. Maybe it's time for a season in NZ?

Would hate to see him in a 'Goons uniform.....

Reply #222930 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Average wage over there depends on the calibre of player and the team. No idea what he'd get at North, but he could possibly get close to the SA ABL team salary cap in NZ, even if he had to play at one of the less-glamorous clubs (not sure if Otago are still in the league, but that's one of them). I think a solid shooter like Burdon could do alright over there - don't think there are many brilliant non-import shooting guards in that league.

Reply #222940 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I said on here a few months ago , that he sits on the bench , and gets one minute , and shoots a three.
I think he missed one once. Gotta be worth a few minutes when we need three points a minute.

Reply #222967 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Eze is the future.

Expect to see him play more in the coming seasons and find his groove in the league.

Im hoping he can continue to become that outside presence we are lacking so ridiculously.

Reply #222981 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

I like his very in-depth description of his playing career on the sixers website. see below:

#41 Erik Burdon

188cm Guard

...that's it ?!?!

Reply #222982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Ng is interested in a return to the Sixers next season too!! Showed a lot more promise and improvement in his last season with us......could be an option to take over Maher? Although, not sure how his points would work after having signed with the Slingers - would he remain a 5 on loyalty considering Singapore didnt actually play in the league this year?

Reply #222998 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Give him minutes ahead of Winitiano . His defence is no worse and his shooting is 100 times better

Reply #223007 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Not sure about Darren's points, would he then count as an import because he played in another country?
Remember he didnt play in the NBL for another club...

Reply #223038 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

B-easy - Wouldn't say the Sixers' perimeter game is "lacking so ridiculously".

Davo, Maher and Ballinger shoot at a good clip, as evident last night. Holmes, Hill, Bruce and Winitana also have their moments. Grizz has outside ability as well.

Reply #223040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ng would be more than 5 points. You can't play OS (say in Europe or Asia) and then come back with the same benefit (internal points value lowered). And no, he wouldn't be an import because he played OS. Maher isn't an import, nor Penney, Cattalini, etc.

Reply #223041 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Agreed Loco but i would like to see a pure shooter that can focus purely on patrolling the Perimeter looking for a catch and shoot.

Reply #223043 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

KB style. Would be handy, 'tis true.

Re-activate Mike McKay immediately.

Reply #223044 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Very impressed with Burden, great D, and can shoot the ball even in very limited minutes. I think he will be happy to stay with us another 1 to 2 years and see what minutes he will get. Maher going will give him a few more minutes

Reply #223049 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i don't think he will pick up Mahers minutes...the player that they get to replace Maher will get those minutes...

played well tho, def needs more court time given, but when he comes in behind Bruce, Davison, Maher...i think he will struggle..

Reply #223073 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Love to see him get more time, but its also not the stage of the season to put a rookie into tight games. I would suggest Ninnis is focusing more on getting into a good position on the ladder than developing rookies at this point in the season.
Burdon played a fair few minutes at the start of the season when we were in injury trouble, would be HIGHLY surprised to not see alot more of him next season.

Reply #223085 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

skud, I wouldn't call the 3 minutes and 9 points performance he put in last night would be classified as developing a rookie, not so much because of his achievement in that time but more so because of the limited time. If anything it looked more like Burdon was developing the coach into having more faith in him and giving him more court time.

Reply #223091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon is so overrated, I would take Matt Sutton over him...

Reply #223116 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Bretts the man,

To say that Burdons defensive abilities are of similar standard to Winitana's is completely ridiculous. IMO Winitana is one of the best defenders in the league and Eze whilst being a brilliant shooter isnt really up to NBL standard on the defensive end.

Hopefully Burdon can continue to improve on both ends are become a long time servant to the sixers

Reply #223117 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I'd like to see Burdon on court during those slow 3rd quarters.

Reply #223141 | Report this post

paddy  
Years ago

Eze a great shooter, but too light to be effective in defence. Will get clobbered . Esp if effective on the score board, look at the manhandling of Schench. Needs to bulk up IMO. But would be good coming on as an impact player for short bursts.

Reply #223157 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

AK- 47 I hears the defensive reputation Winitiano has but I dont Sees it mate. Looks busy but they blow past him like he is not there.
Agree with Paddy though Burdon will only ever used in short bursts

Reply #223162 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Matt Sutton, what did you like best about him? His inability to score perhaps?
What made Eze's performance so good the other night is the appreciation of how hard it is to come into a game cold like he did and shoot 3 sensational 3's, very hard to do in any sport. Too may people underestimate Eze's defensive work too.
Hate to see him leave the Sixers and he sure is a fan favorite.

Reply #223172 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sutton was OK and I think his career ended too early, but Burdon is such a confident and talented shooter. Just too many ahead of him in the roster I think.

Reply #223182 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Eze's body frame could make him a target for other teams, just look at Ng , teams would post him up down low knowing they could push him around. If he were to work in the weights room in the off season I think he should be given more court time next season. Do sixers really have to look for a similar player to Bretts game when we already have E, No I dont think so , you either got talent or you have to work damm hard to make it in the NBL Eze's got game no doubt there so a little bit of extra work will go a long way. Good luck to him!

Reply #223218 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I've been a long-time fan of Eze's, and was absolutely stoked with his performance the other night.

Surely he's done enough to earn a roster spot next season?

I realise how small he is and the ease with which he can be exposed on D, but surely he could play as the 9th or 10th guy on the roster, getting 5-10 mins a game, and then if he's knocking down shots you keep him on a bit longer? After all, BJ Carter lasted all those years in the league without even knowing the meaning of defence!

I know this is his second season as a proper development player, am I right in believing that because of this, next season he can no longer be a development player, and must either be in the 10, or not on the team at all?

Reply #223254 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

too small?

Is Brad Davidson too small?

What about Brett Maher?

or Aaron Bruce?

From the web site:

Brad Davidson 182 cm and 78 kg

Brett Maher 188 cm and 82 kg

Aaron Bruce 189 cm and 84 kg

Eze 188 cm and 78 kg

I would suggest these have slightly changed since the start of the season (Eze is over 80 now), but for the sake of this arguement I'll stick to the "web" values.

Kind of defeats the "too small" arguement really, just leads to the experience arguement and what your thoughts are as to talent rather than size.

Reply #223272 | Report this post

Years ago

The only problem with your post are the 3 compared players are point guards (ok, one is naturally a 2 guard but has also been the best point guard we've ever had!) and Burdon is not.

Reply #223280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan, this is Eze's 3rd season as a development player and you can be a development player until you're 25 years old. He is 24 in March.

Reply #223291 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Ok, so he's eligible for one more season as a dev. player then. Even so, I hope he gets a proper roster spot next year!

Reply #223305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754