Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night: Perth

OK poindexters, things are getting tight in the six and we need to win.

The hot weather means the stadium will be hot, hot, hot. The 10 days break means that we have either had time to gel Grizz into the team's plays and so we should be fresh as, or else the extended break means everyone has forgotten how to play ball.

Either way, we need to get the edge over the cats with a win leading into finals. Can we do it?

NBL say us by 8, but as always I have some questions for all of youse to ponder...
* How much time will the Burdman get?
* Will he continue to score over 1 point per minute?
* Will Wini ally oop?
* Will Hilly ally oop?
* Will we see the return of Capt Baldy?
* How many clangers will there be?
* Will Luke's arms be red with all the slaps?
* Who dares tugs the pony tail?
* Can we hold Crawford to zero 3PM?
* How many swish 3's will Mahersy get?
* Starting 5? Luke, Balls, Grizzly Bear, Davo (on Hinson), Mahersy (on Crawford).
* Jake to score 15 off bench?
* Brucey to come off bench once Davo has worn down Hinson?
* Will we be able to out-rebound these cats?
* Will Malcolm be on the bench?
* Who will be the Tip Top Junior Jammer?
* When will the cafe have cornettos?

Topic #18905 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

When will people stop coming in late and blocking your view at a crucial moment while they fart arse around looking for their seat.

Reply #223961 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

gotta get there early just to get through the gate

Reply #223962 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

And will the refs be affected by the heat or not?

Reply #223965 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I'm not looking forward to how hot the stadium is going to be! :(

Reply #223966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't the stadium be pretty cool? I recall going on other days with high temps and I don't remember it being too bad. I hope I'm right.

Reply #223968 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

yeh nah, it gets pretty damn hot in their once tv lighting gets put on and 5000+ppl role in the evap cooling system will do...... Nothing! im guessing they will have it on all day and by game time they will open all the side doors, that makes a huge difference if thier is a breeze outside!!

Reply #223985 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Hopefully the good group is doing carpark this week, like last game !?

Reply #223991 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

Last game, I seem to recall everyone being asked to wear blue one night - is that for tonight's match?

Reply #223996 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

There is also a good game on before hand between the State under 20's and the Academy if anyone is interested. Some good young talent.

Reply #224004 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If I don't feel any better than this , I might not get there.
Maher had flu this week.. probably reduce his minutes.
Vlahov said , today , Maher would make a great coach.
Aw, wait a minute... looks like radio891 are covering the tennis.. I better try to get there...

Reply #224014 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

is it online aynwhere ..PLEASE???

Reply #224017 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

wooohooo

891 got it online

Reply #224019 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

8-66 to the 36ers 3/4 time

Reply #224020 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

woops..82-68 to 36ers woohoo

Reply #224021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rod Grizzard...

he isn't any good.

Reply #224023 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mal said , at half time , that he will be with the sixers , next season. Just that he has had to call in some others , as well as him.
And, Julius is playing in the states, now. So that was probably the reason for what was going on here.

Reply #224024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ugh.... why Grizzard?

Mark Tyndale is better than him, and i'm sure there are better options out there in the States somewhere.

Reply #224025 | Report this post

bobcats  
Years ago

Camel, just wondering why you use so many commas in your posts? Is there any reason?

Reply #224026 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, Mal said the sixers will be in, next season.
I wonder where Julius is playing.
Grizzard said that he concentrated mainly on defence , since Mr Ballinger was going good offensively.

Reply #224027 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

good game, grizz did fine on the boards but like last week his shot did not fall. I think with the way the team plays we are fine with him. The refs are still bad. The heat was not as bad as i was expecting and the free drinks as we were leaving was great. Good night, just hope the boys can get the win next week so brett has a good finish.

Reply #224030 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Good game all around after a slow start offensively. Hill was good the first time he came on court and was shocking after that. When he is subbed on and starts off bad, he only seems to get worse. If he's playing crap, pull him! He played almost 21 minutes for 6 points at a crap percent, 2 rebounds and 3 turnovers. Surely at times Winitana would be a better option - he only played 5 minutes for 3 assists, generally better defense and no turnovers! Hill needs to be managed like Bruce - a young guy with plenty of talent but not always the best decision maker. He needs to mature as a player and be more reliable before being given major minutes.

Also there was some great D played by Holmes and Grizzard (particularly on Redhage and Victor) that was ruined by pathetic foul calls. Many a time Perth players drove into the key and forced the slight contact only to be given free throws. What a pity Ballinger and Schensch don't get the same kind of calls!

Reply #224031 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Does anyone know what caused the little altercation that Davo was involved in with about 2 mins to go in the 2nd, when Perth had just called time-out?

Reply #224033 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I believe Brad was having words with Hinson and then got surrounded as the Perth guys came in for the time out. Not sure what was said.

Reply #224035 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Could not agree more Quasi. It is a lot easier to be critical of refs when you win and their performance tonight was a disgrace. How unlucky was Grizzard to be called for a travel when Victor walked nearly every time he got the ball. Not sure also how many times Victor went to foul line,but it seemed he was there constantly.

Reply #224036 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought the Perth elbows were disgusting. Each time a Sixer went past an elbow went up

40 - 42 - 43

They should have been fouled out.

Interested call with the double foul on Brad and #11

Reply #224037 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Did not hear much from those few Perth supporters after the first 10 minutes - hope you have a nice trip back home guys!

Reply #224038 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Being critical of refs when you win means that you don't have to look like you are making excuses for a loss. The refs have been consistently bad all season regardless of whether the game was won or lost. It makes the narrow losses we have had so much more unbearable. How many times did people notice tonight Perth pulling and tugging at jerseys to stop a player advancing for the ball? Not one was called.

Reply #224040 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Brusey injured, anyone else agree that was a MASSIVE cheap shot on him to cause it?

Reply #224041 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Thanks for that skip - when Perth called the time out I looked up at the cube, and looked back again just to catch the end of it (and didn't see much of that, coz from where I sit, the support for the backboard at the eastern end was in the way).

Great team performance though, once the first 10 minutes was over. After the game Scottie was pretty proud of the way they stuck to the task, and rightly so. We're definitely coming together, it's just a case of whether it's happening soon enough to get us into a good enough ladder position.

Reply #224042 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

corection: Brucey*

Reply #224044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finals for Adelaide!

Reply #224045 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I dont think you can knock Grizz defensively. He's a team player and yes he hasnt been shooting the lights out but defensively he's always there, looking for the steal, and grabbing the rebounds.

I agree EC. I saw that many jerseys pulled at I dont know why the refs didnt.

Reply #224047 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There was a lot of jersey pulling. There was one when Brucey was dacked. Unfortunately ladies, no double dack.......

Reply #224048 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Squid- maybe it was because they moved right behind me at halftime. And i can tell you, they didnt shut up at all. They were still going at Grizz after the game while ABC interviewed him.

Reply #224050 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Security moved them

Reply #224052 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Another thing the refs need to watch, on the free throw Schnesher was CONSTANTLY elbow'd and hit from both sides. Blocking him out is one thing, but this was blatantly hitting him.

Reply #224053 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Yeah I saw them move down behind the bench. They tried to make noise but got drowned out when it counted. Well at least they know where to shove those fingers on the hand things they had. Probably that's why they bought them in the first place. LOL

So glad they are going home sad.

Thoguht grizz played great D. He was getting swamped in the first quarter because schensch and balls were being blocked out from under the basket. He often had two to contend with. Then they sorted that out and he had more affect. He is very quick in D.

I did not like the way our small guys were basically mugged. I felt that people were out to hurt them. I do not mean just a bump or two but to actually injure them. That legging of Bruce was an unsportsmanlike foul if ever I saw one. And Hill has an arm around his throat after he got fouled by some one else. I can see where a player can not stop them selves and has to make contact but can not understand arms across throats or stopping in such a way as to hurt players. Just seemed thuggish tonight.

Still gutsy win. Looking forward to Dragons next week. Will be tough.

Reply #224054 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The cats were definitely playing the man IMO. Real opportunity to call some unsportsmanlike fouls tonight, missed.

Reply #224061 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Free drinks??? Ohhhhh why did I have to go to the freakin Apollo room?!? Was it Espresso milk again??? mmm espresso milk...

Apart from the poor start, that was absolute domination by the 6ers - fantastic performance in such a critical game.

Schenscher: Missed some easy ones early but still managed some good numbers (18/8/5). Good to see him being sent to the line a bit more. Had a shoulder iced-up after the game. "The ones that like to give it out usually can't take some back" he said after the game :D Good call.

Balls: Not as good inside but was unstoppable from out. Played better than last week IMO - he played four quarters.

Grizzy McGrizzard: That shot still isn't falling. Other than that he did great. D was good, passing was good (the one to Schensch was unbelievable) and his rebounding was excellent. Can't wait for him to get his shot back - that can be so frustrating.

Maher: I thought he was in for a big one after he hit about 15348 of 15349 threes in the shootaround but that didn't completely translate into the game. Still not a bad performance, his playmaking was excellent. Can't believe he's only got a few more games :(

Davidson/Bruce: Both our PG's were brilliant tonight. They combined for 28pts 5rbs and 4asts plus some great D from both. I love the way Ninnis is working them at the moment. It's a great advantage to not lose anything when your starting PG goes to the bench.
It's unfortunate that Brucie got corked by Redhage (who seems to be in a dirty mood lately), he was on fire from downtown at that stage but said he'll be fine.

Coop: Quiet. He had 0/2/0 instead of his usual 2/4/2.

Holmes: Pretty good. He picked his spots offensively and his D on Redhage was outstanding, throw in some nice passing and he had a good

game.

Hill: Our best defensive player tonight - his D on PC was fantastic!

Unfortunately it wasn't his night on offense. Just on his shot, he looks like he focuses too much on getting spin on the ball and not enough on the direction/distance. His FT shooting tonight was terrible. Would have loved to see him finish that signature alley-oop too.

Winitana: 3asts? Really? Didn't see them. Nothing much to say here. Cute son!

Eazy: Nice move!

Hoban: Nice steal, nice free-throw!

Cats: Why didn't Rogers play a minute or two? I thought he needed just to step on the floor to qualify for the post-season???

Knight and Loughton (skip, tell the announcer how to pronounce it) were both rat shit on offense and bulldozers on D. Redhage's stats flatter him. Crawford shot 1/12 lol. Can't believe he had 12 boards?!? Hinson well-held. Dowdell average. Victor flopped like Ginobili and travelled 'like a virgin' (airlines) but did well for 20/11.

Chris Goulding will be an absolute star!!! He has all the weapons and is impressing now that he's in the rotation.

Refs: Called it like a soccer match. Softest officiating this year. Meanwhile they somehow ignore Schenscher's jersey being stretched to double it's size. Who's that fat sweaty pig of a ref that returned after a while off tonight? He was certainly the right man to replace Haines. Some of the ones against the Wildcats were even more laughable than the ones against us (Hinson shooting foul, PC foul on Maher etc.).

DDFan: He's still alive, I saw him. So God didn't completely answer my prayers but close enough :P

Perth fans: I was so tempted to snitch and tell security they moved into those seats but as it happened so did I, lol. What the hell do they have against Grizzard. Just drunk?

Crows: Did anyone see them there? I just saw Macca.

Pre-game: Good to see Harry Harvey and Jan Warbout in action. It was a good finish with a tying layup on the buzzer by the blue PG (bad D). The Pg for the SA team (no.5) looked good, too.

skip: Galvanize :D

Can't wait for the NZB game - should be great. I'm not too confident about the South one though, we need everyone firing for that one.

Reply #224068 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

'Why didn't Rogers play a minute or two? I thought he needed just to step on the floor to qualify for the post-season??? '

Turns out he only needs to suit up and be on the score sheet.

Reply #224071 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

defence on isiah victor was pretty ordinary. he airballed a jumper in the 2nd so the next possession jacob flies out at his jumper and victor drives on him for a lay up. did anybody else notice he hesitates everytime with his right hand and does a crossover to his left? the overall D and performance was good but please dont let a guy with one move get to the bucket every time. its isiah victor, he shouldnt be getting to the rack so easily.

Reply #224078 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Re davidson tussle

As Redhage ran off he stuck his elbow out and got Davo flush in his lower back- Davo ran right into the Perth huddle and said words to the effect of Go F--K yourself...my old teacher was right behind the bench to clarify

Dean Brogan also was at the game and when the tussle started Roger Ramjet was up and firing up

Don't mind seeing a bit of that in basketball

Reply #224079 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I only saw McLeod from the Crows last night and he's usually the only player from that team I see.

A couple of seasons ago I'd always see Danyle Pearce from the Power, but haven't seen him in ages. Maybe the wife no longer allows him.

The Perth coach should have been t-ed up and ejected a few times.

Perth were plan dirty overnight. Too many elbows, shirt pulling and hurting the man.

Quite a few fouls should have been unsportsmanlike and not called.

Reply #224085 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Hill, FG 2/7, FT 2/6, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls, 0 assists because all he does is look at the ring, 2 stupid fouls, 3 turnovers, 0 blocks, 0 steals. But he can still play his 20:25 because he was 'our best defensive player tonight' yeah ok buddy where did you pull that one from. This great performance is happening while Winitana plays 5 minutes for 3 assists.

Reply #224090 | Report this post

cisco  
Years ago

couldn't make it to game last night - just as matter of interest, how was temperature inside dome, usually terrible in hot weather even though they advertised "a/c would be on" - bring back winter season!

Reply #224091 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

justin, you got no idea buddy.

Reply #224095 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The main difference was we had way too many players going to the offensive boards in the first quarter and Perth were simply rebounding and running. They had about 4 open layups in the first 6 minutes.
Once this was stopped we simply ran over the top of them. It was also good to see the boys not retaliate too much to the thuggery of Perth. Umpires once again allowed Redhage, Loughton and Knight to man handle Big Luke all night with only one or two fouls called.

Reply #224096 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Seriously, are some of you guys mates with or related to Hill? He will be a good player with a bit more experience but at the moment he is nowhere near consistent enough offensively or defensively to be one of our better players. If Maher, Davidson or Ballinger made half of the plays Hill does we'd all be shocked! If Winitana or Cooper made some of Hill's plays, you'd be yelling to have them dragged. What is it about Hill that he gets so much support even when he doesn't play particularly well?

Reply #224100 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Kobe-for-mvp , you can read can't you, how do I have no idea. Have a long read of his stats, but make sure you do it slowly so something might just click, the stats don't lie. Your fighting a losing battle mate so just give before you make yourself look even more foolish then you already do.

Reply #224139 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

cisco - a/c was on but not particularly effective. Most people were using the game programmes as makeshift fans. Wasn't unbearable, but I was certainly sweating a little!

Reply #224144 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Hill, FG 2/7, FT 2/6, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls, 0 assists because all he does is look at the ring, 2 stupid fouls, 3 turnovers, 0 blocks, 0 steals. But he can still play his 20:25 because he was 'OUR BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER TONIGHT' yeah ok buddy where did you pull that one from."

Anyone wanna back me up on that? I really can't be bothered with justin's shit today.

Champ33, I've also seen Kurt Tippett at one game. I wonder how Broges feels about the 6ers' partnership with the Crows...

Reply #224158 | Report this post

b-dogg  
Years ago

dont think pronounciation matters when its the opposite team. as long as he gets our boys right and says 'em loud... who cares.

Reply #224368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754