Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night! Sixers v 'Goons

If the Sixers are serious about being a threat in the finals, tonight is a must win game to put the wind up a few of the other teams.

NBL are tipping 'Goons by 7. Foxtel to telecast.

Can we do it?

(Mod: Adjusting topic timestamp to pin it to the top of the index for a while.)

Topic #18954 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Reply #224416 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I really think we can. From what I hear, there will be quite a nice size group of sixers fans there tonight too.

Reply #224417 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Anyone coming over?

Reply #224436 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

It is going to be tough especially as i believe that a couple of our key plyrs dont respond well to the physical -pushing holding pressure that Goorg teams do.
Schens for one has to maintain a inside presence no matter what Burston etc are doing to him. no good looking at the refs wont get too many calls over there with Goorg prowling the sidelines.
Schens also needs to hold areas to get defensive rebounds. Although last week Grizzard created some huge defensive rebounds which eliminated those 2nd and 3rd shot opp. have had in previous games.
Keeping the same starting line up with Bruce to come on as impact plyr and Holmes to come on to scrap and do a job worked well.
A real key is if Grizzard can start hitting his shots.
Personally I would like to see him drive to the basket a lot more has the skills and atheleticism to do so. He has helped improve our defensive work as I thought our defensive efforts were the best for the season against a good team. I rate Tigers better than Dragons at the moment but will have to keep focussed and play well to win . Brett show Goorg how good you and he should have used you more and guys do it for Brett. Was hoping to go but have to be satisfied to watch on fox.

Reply #224437 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Bizzy is over. cLarKy too I think.

Reply #224439 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Anyway I can contact Bizzy? Isaac can send you my email address.

Reply #224442 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Dicko, whats that email of yours again? He as asked me to pass on his number. No email ATM.

Reply #224449 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its a bit cooler in Melbourne today. Hope that boosts Adelaide's energy levels. The key will be playing 4 intensive quarters.

Reply #224455 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

The key will be getting contributions from everyone. We've had a nasty habit on the road of our quality players shutting down, and getting maybe one good performance out of someone else (Holmes, Hill, etc).

Tonight, since Luke will be all but molested out there on court, I'd be looking to get open looks for Maher, Davidson, Bruce, Ballinger....South may be good defensively, but we can win a shoot out against them any day of the week.

Reply #224463 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Reply #224471 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hmmm, so far we have these keys:

"A real key is if Grizzard can start hitting his shots."
"The key will be playing 4 intensive quarters."
"The key will be getting contributions from everyone."

A skeleton key which is compatible with all those keys should assist in opening the lock nicely...

But yeah, some defence and intensity along the lines of what they showed against Perth last week would be a great start!

Reply #224472 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Our sloppy start on Saturday was probably due to the 10 day break.
Grizzard's shot hasn't been dropping. If it does
early , that might add enough for an upset win.

Reply #224475 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

The Key will be to score more than the Dragons.

Reply #224477 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Reply #224482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Grizzard is a key tonight, once his stroke comes back he will be deadly!!! he killed us last time we played the tigers at home!!!! he's a pure athlete!!!

Reply #224483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Grizzard is a key tonight, once his stroke comes back he will be deadly!!! he killed us last time we played the tigers at home!!!! he's a pure athlete!!!

Reply #224484 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Kent - Damn you and your posts I can see whilst Im at work!!!! :-P

Reply #224485 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

You're not missing out on alot skip ;-) it was a make you groan moment.

Reply #224499 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

If we can play like we did on Sat, we should go pretty close to winning. Perth were just as physical as South are likely to be, yet we dealt with them pretty well.

Obviously it would be nice for Grizz to start hitting his shots, but his real value lies in his defensive abilities. If he can shut down and frustrate Worthington like he did Redhage on Sat, then we'll go a long way towards getting a W.

On a side note, is this the first 6ers road game that Fox has covered? I can only remember them covering home games this year?

Reply #224505 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"You're not missing out on alot skip ;-) it was a make you groan moment."

Actually, it was more a track down Kent Brockman and punch him in the gob for wasting that little piece of bandwidth and the 3 seconds that it took to realise his sick little joke moment.

Reply #224509 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

he he ;)

Reply #224510 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Both teams have good reasons to bring their A games tonight - a win to the 36ers guarantees a playoff spot and a win to the Dragons guarantees them a top 2 finish. Both have added incentives as the Dragons are fighting to keep top spot from the Tigers and 36ers fighting to have any chance of a home playoff game in the first round. Given the home and away record for us this season, that is a huge incentive.

36ers by 2. Love it if Hill has a blinder - to show the Dragons what they missed out on. Go 6ers!

Reply #224512 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I Hope Luke has packed his lederhosen!

Reply #224514 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Really looking forward to the game, as others have mentioned Grizzard is the key.

Hopefully us Sixers fans that have made the journey can get them over the line.

Reply #224526 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ah.... Bizzy has surfaced!

Griz is the key. The guy can rebound and plays good D. In the last home game he was so unlucky that his shots didn't drop.

Karma says tonight they will.

Reply #224542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For the gamblers out there, Centrebet have the 36ers at $4.60 (Dragons $1.20) with a line favouring the home side of -7.0.

(In the other game tonight, Cairns are paying $4.20 to the Spirit's $1.23.)

Game total for Adelaide is pitched at 192.5 (on the mark IMO). If you're feeling frisky, the 36ers are $14.50 to win by more than 10 points.

Here are the championship odds while I'm at it:

MELBOURNE TIGERS        2.20 
SOUTH DRAGONS 2.40
NEW ZEALAND BREAKERS 7.50
TOWNSVILLE CROCODILES 15.00
ADELAIDE 36ERS 29.00
PERTH WILDCATS 29.00
No value there at all that I can see. Crocs a touch short, maybe Adelaide $9 too long. Breakers have obviously drifted based on their poor form in 2009.

Reply #224544 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I'm at the game and no sign of Schensher!!! Does anyone know why he isn't playing?

Reply #224545 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

cavolo, they are long lederhosen!

Reply #224546 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

PLEASE BE A LUKE :(

Reply #224547 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

It's alright - he's playing. For some reason his name wasn't announced when the teamcame out and he was nowhere in sight

Reply #224548 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

On a side note, is this the first 6ers road game that Fox has covered? I can only remember them covering home games this year?
They covered our last away game against the Dragons, but I don't blame you for trying to forget that one!

Reply #224549 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

OMFG.

Why do the refs allow the ball carrier to push a defender out of the way. Blatant push away by Ingles un called. There's guarding the ball, and there's using the arm.

Reply #224550 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Sigh. More lacklustre defence by Adelaide. Getting to the lane is all too easy for South. Ballinger on the bench after only 7 minutes gone.

Reply #224552 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This game is going south very quickly ('scuse the pun)

Reply #224553 | Report this post

J-Rich  
Years ago

Well they aint getting my money for the playoffs... We are a joke ! Its like we are playing out of our age group and its god damn embarrassing !

Reply #224554 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

OUR BIG MEN ARE GETTING KILLED

hmm never thort id here that :@

Reply #224555 | Report this post

Hood 85  
Years ago

Thats all good J-Rich fans like you are always the type that are late to there seats anyways.

Just no spark about the 36ers in that half. Someone needs to throw an elbow, perhaps the coach needs to get a tech but i was being bored to sleep by the ease at which South were able to play 'Gorrj ball'. When Adelaide struggle, Big Luke doesnt get enough touches in the offense...ALA TONIGHT. Sure he's been able to finish a couple, but the offense doesnt get it into him and let him go to work. Not good enough by the coaching staff.

Oh id like to know who spelt Joe's name wrong on that contract...Paul Bauer???

Reply #224556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting comments about Ingles concerning why he didn't sign with adelaide - they got his name wrong and listed him as a back up centre.

If Grizz is the key the sixers are in trouble. Since joining the sixers, he's shooting 29% from the field and 11% from 3 pt. At half time, he's 1/4, with 3 rebounds and a turnover.

Reply #224557 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Come on Sixers. Give us something to cheer about. Epic comeback please.

As bad as some of the Goorj ball is, at least they know how to play perimeter D.

Reply #224558 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Not happening, nothing from bigs doesnt help

Reply #224560 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just thought Grizz was due to improve on his shooting tonight , and that would have helped us, judging by the way we've played here.
But there's room for a lot of improvement away from the dome.

Reply #224561 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

is it on the radio anywhere?? please?

Reply #224562 | Report this post

Hood 85  
Years ago

Heartless effort, from start to finish. Sad state of affairs, for a once proud team. The team reflects the coaching staff IMO, they seem lost and inconsistant ala the on court performances.

Reply #224563 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Grizz and WInitana finished off really strong both contributing to a 8 point fourth quarter advantage.

i think winitana ending with 14 and grizz 7?

Reply #224564 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

36ers lose 77-97 and Cairns win 89-80. Cairns are still able to tip the 36ers out of the play offs and the 36ers keep giving them a reason to try.

As Kevin Kline said in A Fish Called Wanda - "Disappointed!"

Reply #224565 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

gee.. Ballinger 8 . Paora top scored.
I haven't got fox.
Like to hear a bit about wot happened.

Reply #224566 | Report this post

I heart #10  
Years ago

11 more turnovers gifting them 12 bonus points

and 12-2 steals...

can't win a game like that...

:(

Reply #224567 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

23 TURNOVERS, Dragons 16 off TURNOVERS. Ball game done right their. Dodnt help the 36ers played with ZERO heart and didnt even attempt to ruffle the Dragons up. SOFT.

Reply #224568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who of the current roster is under contract for next year?

Reply #224569 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Kobe, to say Grizz and Winitana finished strong is irrelevant. Garbage time points scored when the opposition has destroyed you by 30 points mean nothing other than they didn't try hard enough when it really counted.
I didn't see the game, and the stats tell a story, but the saddest thing tohear are everyone else's comments about how they are playing with no heart, no passion. Sorry, but Scotty, if you cant inspire your team, you're not the right man for the job, simple.
As for the players, you also have to take some responsibility, where's your pride, where's your competitive nature, where's your freakin game?
Overall, the whole season has been one disappointment after another, and it dont look any better for the near future either.

Reply #224571 | Report this post

lilleyton  
Years ago

starting five was poor got us off to a terrible start.

shenscher was terrible he is 2 soft and ballinger for a man his size plays like a small man.

we need a player like burston and worthington to hit bodys and change peoples minds, far too many shot blockers in our team than ball defenders.

gibson scored 15 of his 18 on davidson. all the players ball handling was shocking. davidson started the game very very badly

bruce slipped on stickers twice resulting in a dunk to donta and a 3 to wortho which hurt!- why the f are the stickers at hisence so big anyway? loved how he fore arm shoved gibbo anyone notice?

grizz scored in junk needs to take it stronger he gets stripped alot.

wini looked impressive nice stroke looks abit nervous dribbling tho.

Reply #224572 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Wow that was frustrating!

Why do referees hate rangas so much???
Seriously, they were worse than the ones at the dome. Balls was getting pounded!

Pathetic effort. Hopefully some good can come out of it and Winitana and Grizz can continue their good 4th qtr form.

Totally deflated after that game.

Reply #224573 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

DoDaBonk, it might mean something IF they can carry it over it into the next game - provided they can produce it right from the off.

Reply #224574 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

11-3 at home . 3-11 away.

Reply #224575 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Schensher was a complete pussy tonight

How many times did he catch the ball under the basket - bring the ball down - try a few soft ball fakes and then put up a soft shot attempt which was either blocked or didnt get close to scoring. When your the biggest player on the floor how about you go up strong and dunk teh bloody thing...and if you get challenged then make sure you go up even stronger.
You dont see premier big men throwing crap ball fakes and getting worried out of a shot by smaller opposition.

If he spent half as much time being agressive at the hoops as he does winging about the refs he'd be a superstar!

Reply #224576 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Yeah Beagle,
If you're saying that they are just finding form then I'm happy, but read the other peoples comments. Lack of desire, no power, Balls plays like a small man, Luke is too soft...... Where are the tough no nonsense Mark Davis type players? Even Catt when he was playin for us could fire up the team. Whose gonna do that now?

Reply #224578 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Kobe, to say Grizz and Winitana finished strong is irrelevant. Garbage time points scored when the opposition has destroyed you by 30 points mean nothing other than they didn't try hard enough when it really counted."

They were irrelevant in the context of the game, yes, but these are two guys struggling to find their form lately and it was great to see Grizz hit some tres and Winitana get to the rim a few times (one for a nice dunk) whether the game was over or not.

Also, great to see Adam Gibson dribble out the game with just over 24 seconds left.

"If he spent half as much time being agressive at the hoops as he does winging about the refs he'd be a superstar!"

well shit! he's got enough to whinge about!

I agree though, he did go up a bit soft tonight.

Reply #224579 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What a cop out from Ingles to use a stupid excuse like his name misspelled to not accept a contract. Sorry you were offended at this after all we should have realised how important you were haha). His heart and his loyalty to his home club was never a factor. I don't know the man but every time I see him interviewed he makes my blood boil. Its intuition and intuition doesn't come if there is no substance in it. If I have my way, he would never come back to Adelaide. I want to continue going to the 36ers games but his inclusion in the team if it ever happened would ruin the fun for me. He is a cocky little piece of ....(I wont say it as I already know I am going to cop some flack over this comment). He could have been just as good in Adelaide and enjoyed the accolades from his own local crowd. After the initial hiccup of his name and position, it wouldn't have been long before he was recognized as the good player that he is and given the opportunities that he deserved.

Reply #224580 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

DoDaBonk seems oddly similar to someone else I know with two capital D's in their name. Hmm...

Reply #224583 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

I'm saying that I'd rather they start knocking shots down when it's all over to try and get a bit of confidence back than just continue to sit back and not make the effort.

I watched the game, and agree about the general lack of desire, etc, 100%.

This team definitely has two different personas: which one will we see on Saturday night?

Reply #224584 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

EC just before you do cop flack for this..I agree 100% dont want the arrogant prick here it would be as bad as having shane heal playing or gorj as a coach

Reply #224585 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

"DoDaBonk seems oddly similar to someone else I know with two capital D's in their name. Hmm..."

Xman, you can fantasise all you want about me and the other DD, but there aint no truth in it. Do you always have to play the personal attack? Your mother must be really proud of you

Reply #224587 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Two different personas. One at home and one away.
I guess most would have thought we'd beat dragons at home and think we'll beat NZ.
Woolongong game . They wouldn't like to guess.

Reply #224590 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

DD, Yes you're right I did get shockingly personal there.

With the bullshit that you come up with how can you not expect it? Seriously?

Reply #224595 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

OK Xtat. So now I'll take your poison bait. WTF are you talking about?
Disagree with something I said? Fine, but you still haven't made a point. I know its hard for you, but try to be specific and constructive rather than a little school boy throwing stones and calling me names.

Reply #224597 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I;d prefer to talk about the game

Reply #224598 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Camel 31, I agree I would rather talk about the game, and if you look back at my comments thats what I did, but it seems that Xztatik has something against me, perhaps because Idisagreed with him once or twice, anyway back to moreimportant things..... Apologies to all posters, I will not respond to his litle taunts, I will try to keep further posts about the game

Reply #224599 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

That home/away stat is truly sad. Not much else to add. I feel the inevitable sudden-death playoff elimination coming on.

Are you sure those odds were $9 too long Isaac? Perhaps they're a little generous... :s I don't see how we are going to win a sudden-death playoff game, much less a home/away series where we don't have home-court advantage.

Reply #224600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh id like to know who spelt Joe's name wrong on that contract...Paul Bauer???
No, it was Mike Daws. As Gaze said, bit of a mistake to have someone without real basketball knowledge negotiating contracts with players.

Ingles is cocky and I don't always love his attitude, but he can play and I wouldn't mind him in Adelaide.

EC, you might not realise, but when a player is choosing between multiple approaches, they want to know that they will have maximum opportunity to grow as a player at a club. One way clubs can demonstrate that they are the right place is by showing awareness of the player's ability and needs. Thinking a SG/SF is a C and not being able to spell their name isn't a great way to instil confidence. Nor is offering under the minimum and a "spot in the 13". When you get a strong competing offer from a club that cares and gives you a stronger pathway to improve your game, you take it.

If you were a uni graduate from Adelaide and were choosing between $20k making coffee in the trenches, and $60k (let's say) doing hands-on work with real-world projects ASAP and offered you support in improving your skills through educational courses and so on, anyone with sense should take the latter. You want to become the best you can be and it's in your employer's interest that you do so also.

---

Back to the coverage - FWIW, I think Carfino and Gaze are a decent commentary duo. A lot more colour and less horse-race calling (Casey-style). More insight and humour.

Reply #224601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hereschenes - I was comparing it to Townsville at $15, though they may have home court advantage and that will help them. Still don't see how the Crocs get it done as well as they do - Gleeson cops it regularly from disgruntled fans, but maybe there's more value up there than some suspect?

Reply #224602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC get over yourself - perhaps if more of our players had some "Ingles" in them then we would be the team beating up on other teams and not the other way around.

Cant blame him for not coming to Adelaide for those reasons - i have heard that the coach at the time did not contact him once and that he was also promised a spot in the 13 man squad whilst many other teams were offering a spot in the 8!
All that on top of spelling name wrong and front office thinking he is a 5 man!

Reply #224603 | Report this post

ay jay  
Years ago

Hey EC I remember a night at the HWY, last season I reckon, watching a game on the big screen and I said to this guy , How did we let Ingles slip away and it happened he was Joes old man who drinks there from time to time and he said Joe would have loved to stay here, but we didnt want him back when he was green and ready to fire. Just another notch in our belt without a development coach.
We have let a lot of talent slip away and we will continue to pay for that.

Reply #224604 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Isaac i couldnt disagree more, those 2 had me put the mute button on for a while there! One colour guy and one true commentator. Carfino has to go for the NBL revamp to work via Tv IMO. As for the game so deflating, really thought an upset was there for the taking, pathetic 'glass half full' me!

Reply #224605 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Agree with you on the odds... I wasn't being entirely serious. Was just trying to say, I think our goose is cooked! :(

Agree on Ingles also; I can't stand him right now, but I would love to see him in a Sixers uniform. I couldn't stand Davidson when he was in opposing colours either!

Reply #224606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fox really know how to pick and televise dud games this season. It's a real shame for the league.

Reply #224607 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

There were only two things that sucked worse than our offence tonight ... ... our defence, and the refs.

Seriously, Bill Mildenhall needs to be retired. Permanently.

But wow, how much more do we suck on the road than at home?

Reply #224608 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

DD, grow some Adam Ballinger's mate. I didn't 'attack' you so don't exaggerate the situation ok.

I just disagree with almost everything you have said on this forum and have the impression that you are a person of very low intelligence who likes to make his point by making 'controversial' and usually falsely-informed statements.

Reply #224610 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Xztat, My final response to your tripe, you still have not argued one point, or quoted one word I have written, you just like being the park bully an calling people names eh? I stand by my opinion, and it appears that there are a lot of other people on this site who are questioning what is going on at the 36ers also. Some of the comments tend to be weighed down with disappointment about our results, but FFS you still have not raised a single issue or comment. Controversial statements? I dont know about that, I just say what I see and hear. Falsely informed statements? Have I ever mentioned or quoted facts and figures? If I do, then you can question the falseness of my statements, but you cant say what you have said about me being of low intelligence without knowing me.
For your information I have a degree in Architeture, and my wife has a Doctorate in Chemistry, I speak 3 languages, and run my own successful business.
Low intelligence is not a term I would use for myself or anyone else I have never met. It is a term I would apply to people like you who hide behind the intenet and throw names at people and make false assumptions without dealing with reality.
One last chance sunshine, what did I say to upset you lil tacker?

Reply #224615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For your information I have a degree in Architeture, and my wife has a Doctorate in Chemistry, I speak 3 languages, and run my own successful business."

And i'm Bill Gates.

Reply #224620 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

ay jay my comment of a cop out on Ingles' part still stands. How can you honestly believe its Adelaide's fault that Ingles didn't sign with us when the excuse is that they spelled his name wrong. That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard and would not have expected anything else from his father.

Isaac, you said Mike Dawes made the error. Being a non basketball mind, Ingles could have made allowances for that error. Do you honestly believe that if Ingles had been with Adelaide the last 2 or 3 years he would have a lesser role on this team than what he has now. He would still be playing the game well, he would still be shooting the lights out from downtown, he would be benefiting his home side instead of benefiting an outside club (traitor is the word that springs to mind). Sorry, but whatever reason he did not join Adelaide and whatever reason people still side with him, I feel nothing but contempt every time a watch an interview from him. He made his choice, don't gloat about it. Wounds heal but rubbing salt into them makes them sting. Perhaps its this stinging feeling I have every time I watch him.

Reply #224621 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol... what a special photo:

sixers

Reply #224623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, how has he been rubbing salt into the wound? By smiling a bit as he talked about the silly mistakes made by the 36ers? By celebrating with his team when he hits a shot?

The offer from Adelaide was flat-out insulting and he rightfully treated it as such. The spelling and position mistake are just the easy examples to discuss rather than talk about money or further burn bridges with (ex-)coaches.

See my example of the graduate choosing between two job opportunities - can you respond to that?

X, you need to relax a bit. Bonk isn't saying much that's all that outrageous.

Sorry, but Scotty, if you cant inspire your team, you're not the right man for the job, simple.
As for the players, you also have to take some responsibility...
Those two statements are fair enough. That said, I tend to disagree with it being a season of disappointments - the team's been pretty decent at home recently. Just more about consistency.

Reply #224626 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

EC - get over yourself .

As pointed out it wasn't just about the spelling . South did their homework and scored while we grossly undervalued a local young talent , offered very little and lost out .

He is cocky and needs to address some things in his demeanor . His game and frame need some attention as well if he is to take the next step but in no way can you hang it on him for not being a sixer .

Reply #224628 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, my response to your example of choosing between two job opportunities is not really a good example that is relevant to this situation. There are promotions for people who prove themselves and my comments about being given an equal opportunity here in Adelaide stands. If Ingles was one of these graduates, he would have known that he would not have been sitting on the bench for too long once he showed what he can do. The only errors on Adelaide's part here that I acknowledge to is the fact that they did not do enough research into him to realise he was not a 13th position player and the coach at the time had a preference for veterans. It will be interesting to see now if Adelaide makes an offer to him and how he will re act to it once his contract is up with Dragons. Obviously Adelaide will realise that his value has increased one hundredfold and they will have to pay accordingly.

Reply #224629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC

The previous coach would not have rushed him into major minutes as he has never given rookies a fair chance. He would have run his older past their prime players and left Ingles on the bench. Ingles and his agent were well aware of that fact as well.

The Mike Daws is the reason Ingles isn't here. End of story.

Reply #224630 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, oh come on. The comparison with a graduate choosing between two companies is very valid.

Many talented staff get overlooked at dud workplaces that don't recognise or appreciate their talent. 10-15 years ago, I had two job interviews in a day and was offered both jobs. The first was a private company with good links, good clients, moving in the right direction and a great culture. The second was working within a stagnating TAFE unit with a bunch of (mostly) past-their-prime misfits (didn't realise it at the time from the one interview). I stupidly made a quick decision and went with the TAFE unit as the head honcho offered me the job on the spot. After a while, I realised that my pushing for our unit to invest time in critical new tech (especially something as basic as a backend language and database integration) was going nowhere and I cut my hours until they saw I was disinterested and cut my contract.

Daws stuffed up, the coach preferred vets and what about offering him less than the minimum rookie salary?! Pretty monumental screw-ups all up and calling him a traitor for seeking out his best chance to get time and improve his game is grossly unfair and one-eyed.

No doubt Adelaide will make their interest known at the right time (I'd say they already have), but they might be competing with European clubs.

Reply #224633 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Well, that was horrendous. I'll vent in bullet point form, as I'd rather not waste much time on it.

* Big guys were mauled - refs were just woeful all night.
* Grizz won't be the import we want.
* Bruce is a liability.
* Sixers need to study Mixed MArtial Arts.
* Why do we have people with no basketball knowledge drafting basketball contracts?

End.

Reply #224638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Goorj use the same tactics against Ballinger last season when we played in Sydney? Deprive him of chances and watch the rest of the team falter?

Reply #224642 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well I agree to say the season is a dissapointment is wrong there has been a lot to cheer about .
But some games have shown a huge lack of heart in team and I thought with the Hodge attitude influence gone weeks ago that we would be united and play organized team ball. Wow how wrong am I . That was absoloutely pitiful. I also have supported Scotty full on although wanted Beveridge as coach and was desperate for change as all know. But sorry guys the fact is Scotty is way out of his league.
There is no consistent system or plan B or C in attack . We have no idea how to create movement and alienate key plyrs whether inside or out or room to cut or drive. Scotty when we are playing bad if we wanted you to sit on your arse with a sulk look we would have kept the other bloke. The least I thought you would achieve is some passion in the team some fight. look what Sirit and Taipans are doing with bit plyrs and those past their prime.
It is exciting to have Schens in our team but if you cant defend your space and present yourself against the top teams we are going nowhere. I was scared we might lose him overseas but till he toughens up he will just be a good NBL plyr and no dominate like he should. How bad were those brain fade turnovers you would not expect it at u-15s. Yes we should have grabbed Inglis it was a balls up on prev. coach. But do not like his arrogant way of playing the game etc

Reply #224653 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Indeed he did Isaac. We don't often check the "Lessons Learnt" database it seems.

Reply #224671 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

bretts the man, I agree with SN being out of his league. God...last night I was even thing Gorj would be a better coach. Do you notice that after the timeouts our guys look 'lost' and then have a quick chat amongst themselves? What's that? Trying to come up with something off their own backs?
Last night there was way to much 'run and gun' when they were down. Not pretty to watch.
I feel sorry for the guys and will not be surprised if any that are out of contract decide to move on to some decent coaching.

Reply #224673 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Isaac, Thanks for your input.
With regard to my comments about the season being 'one disappointment after another', I am refering to the trend that shows the 36ers losing regularly when it really counts.
How many times has this site been swamped with comments about the 36ers winning this game and that, to secure a top four spot, a home final, a series win against abc.... and we all get excited that the wait is over, and at last the team is going to click into gear and 'win the championship'.
Every time I read this stuff I hold my breath, because, as you pointed out Isaac, we need consistency, and that can only be achieved over a period of time. I want to be positive about our future, but I'd prefer to see us win a few games away before we start claiming 'the title is on its way back to Adelaide'.

So do you all think it's true that nice guys always finish last?!!! 36ers are too nice on court. We need some attitude adjustment. Particularly when we get out on the road.

Reply #224675 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I agree with Statman regarding Schensh last night, he showed way too much hesitation on the inside.

IMO he needs to go up strong immediately instead of waiting and doing 400 pump fakes allowing help to come over and then puting up some soft rubbish.

It seem the entire team was intimidated by the Dragons.

Reply #224680 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well we finally agree Dana and thanks for not mentioning ----.
I agree lessons learnt thats why coaches are fulltime to watch videos . How is he closing up Ballingers game . What are they doing to keep Schens away from defensive rebounds.
Where is Dicko not only time to gloat and give some positives about mate Scotty but his thoughts on game and our team

Reply #224691 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bonk - it's not about being nice, it's about working harder. People are focusing on throwing elbows or getting more boards. They need to be moving quicker for one thing.

I do think they might've been intimidated (if only subconsciously) going up against Goorj and the top side.

Remember that for every "must win" that's been dropped on the road, there's a surprise like almost winning double-OT in Perth, smashing the Tigers in Melbourne, stealing a win in New Zealand, etc. The inconsistency is frustrating more than anything.

Reply #224701 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I have never come here and gloated about a win.

You're team was weak, that simple.....they got exposed badly for being soft and heartless by a VERY tough defensive unit.

Credit goes to Maher, Davidson and Holmes for at least toughing it out, Brad Hill for doing his best and Winitana for showing some nice touch in junk time. Without Paora, the scoreline would have looked MUCH worse.

Big thumbs down to Schenscher for allowing himself to be pushed around at will under the basket and not play hard enough. HUGE thumbs down for Ballinger for the same reason. Wortho made him look amateur.

Blaming Luke for not going UP hard is a little harsh though....the pivoting he had to do was a result of Bruce's passes being a little too slow and going just a little too far every time and landing Schensch behind the backboard each time.

Now......on the topic of the coach......

1. Many of the plays were good. Leaving wide open shooters outside the arc (missing shots or just not taking them for some reason????) OR leaving Schenscher directly under the basket on a screen and roll where Bruce stuffed the pass. Ballinger did get some open looks and clanged the front of the basket repeatedly. 2 of 7 from one of the best front to the basket shooting big men around?

2. What killed you guys was turnovers. Bruce was woeful especially.

3. Passion.....where was it? This should have been a big game for your guys. A chance to prove themselves against the big boys. Most of them came up looking VERY disinterested.

4. Grizz is just not Julius Hodge.

5. He's had all the problems of your previous coach (injuries, import problems, etc) but has still landed you in the playoffs in his rookie coaching year. Seomthing the other bloke was unable to do.

6. If you expected much better results from this season, IMHO, you were fooling yourselves.

You lot are shocking....suprised the bandwagon hasn't collapsed with all the jumping on and off it's weathering.

Reply #224702 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Unfortunately DICKO, I agree with all except the bandwagon comment.

Scottie has done pretty well considering, and last night was entirely the fault of the team IMO.

Everyone should be apologising to B.Maher after that effort.

Reply #224704 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Thank you Dicko and good to get your views as opposition supporter. Very good cant argue but only to state although many are shattered because of that effort espec. a key game and important one to let Brett go out on high. I dont know we are jumping off the bandwagon. Have to ask questions espec. of the coach who is responsible for attitude and intensity at the worse. Would Boy goorg. be sitting down with btm lip at his feet if they were losing like that.
I would be last to defend previous coach but sorry Dicko he had instant success possibly due to experienced Breheny as support. Poss thats what we should have done with Scotty have a experienced assistant. Seemed a good crowd what were the numbers.
As previous poster dissapointing not many of fox games been good games

Reply #224711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the crowd was about 4,600ish.

Reply #224714 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah think they said that figure on Fox..

And whoever abused Wortho during the free throw, then followed up with the horn, that was gold!

Glad to see Wini finally do something, albeit junk time. Hill looked good as well, pity Burdon was not travelling.

Reply #224716 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wini played pretty goodly last night. He was brought in to provide a bit a muscle to the team (aka Jake Heke) With his injuries all season, he hasn't really been able to fire up.

This might be to our advantage in the playoffs by having a "suprise packet".

There's concensus that we need a bit of muscle in the team. If he's fit for the finals, then I wouldn't mind him coming on, having a few fouls called on him for some hard blocks, then taking a seat.

Reply #224721 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

DB5.....Not you specifically, but plenty here went from

Ninnis is not the guy for the job

to

He's actually doing pretty well

back to

He's evil incarnate.

Etc.....

Bandwagon jumpers is a NICE way of putting it.

The key difference between Voldy and Scotty is this (in my view)......

Under both of them, the team have had moments of struggling for passion and the fire requried night in night out. I don't think, personally, that the coach can always do anything about that. Sometimes? Yes.

With the new coach, you will never doubt that HE, himself, has the passion and fire to succeeed. I don't think you can say the same for the other bloke.

Trust me, he will be hurting over this loss as much as the fans and the players. Smyth used to look like he just didn't care...certainly towards the end.

Reply #224727 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I know what happened last night. We were jinxed by a jerk named Steve Carfino. Before the game started one of his first comments was that tonight was going to be a battle between the "Masters and Apprentices". If there was a good reason for wanting a win last night, it was so I could say to him suck eggs.

Reply #224731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DICKO, bandwagon jumpers or just different groups vocalising their thoughts after different results?

There could well be three sub-groups sticking to their opinions but only speaking up when it's on-topic?

Reply #224736 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Possibly, but I feel like there's also some tweeners popping up on each side at different times.

Reply #224737 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I backed Scottie from the start (although I did say I wouldn't mind Bevo) and it is a shame the bloke cannot get more support considering we can still make the playoffs!!

Pretty sure we missed them the last couple of years, surely the guy gets a bit of credit for that!

Reply #224740 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

You are IN the playoffs. And, yes, that is a good achievement with a rookie coach and a VERY new roster.

Reply #224744 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dicko, that's a poor achievement when you look at it from on the road results. Its not the home crowd that assists them in getting a win at home. The home crowd cannot do that much. The difference in the way they play at home and the way they play away is far too great to be totally influenced by the home crowd. It was an expectation from the beginning of the season based on our roster that they would do a lot better (4th is the position that I remember was being debated). Its an expectation from watching what they can do at home that suggests they should do a lot better on the road. Don't just look at it from the 6th on ladder point of view, look at it from how they got there. Look at the weaknesses that have not been addressed time and time again. We have come to the end of the season and Ninnis has not improved his team's performance at all throughout the season although he almost has one year's experience as a head coach. I am not interested in excuses either relating to the problems with imports. The team was deep enough to cover for the extra import. Ninnis was also responsible for the import problems, he made the decisions on them.

Reply #224763 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I give the players themselves lots of credit for doing as well as they have done. Especially Brett who has often looked like he has lifted the whole team onto his shoulders and dragged them into the game all by himself. I hesitate to congratulate the coaching staff as much as I do the players. And like it or not, JH also managed to get the team into it somewhat. OK, OK...I can hear some of you already saying 'we only went up 1 place' or so on the ladder, but I reckon we may very well have gone downwards during that time if Hodge weren't here.
*ducking for cover before all the rotten veges start flying my way*
;)

Reply #224764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, talk was of 4-6th. They're currently one win behind 5th and two wins behind being level with third. Considering the stuffing around with imports, I think they're about where you'd expect them.

Reply #224773 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I think Dicko's more on the money than most of us are prepared to admit. As he has said, we've had the typical injury and import problems that have plagued us the last few years, yet we will still make the playoffs.

Scottie's done a pretty good job, but our inability to be competitive on the road is a huge issue that needs to be sorted.

Reply #224778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plus the playoffs this season are the top six where we have failed to make the top eight

Reply #224784 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Am I being too pesimistic or is the only reason we are in the playoffs is because two other teams went broke??

Reply #224785 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

FFS DD, stop being such a freakin softcock! I never resorted to any name calling until just now when I called you a softcock.

I find it amusing that you take such offence to these so called "personal attacks" and name calling when you are, in fact, the one bringing my mother into it and addressing me as "lil' tacker".

As a great 7'1" red-head recently said, "It's often the ones who like to give it who can't take it back".

Really, I didn't realise that a comparison to the legendary DDFan was so offensive.

"you still have not argued one point, or quoted one word I have written" "FFS you still have not raised a single issue or comment."

If you could read (I assume one of those 3 languages is english) you would see thatI actually DID quote you and tell you what I disagree with above. But that is only a minor thing.

My impression of you being an 'idiot' for lack of a better word comes mostly from you're comments in the "game closing etiquette" thread and the Sixers vs. Cairns thread.

"For your information I have a degree in Architeture, and my wife has a Doctorate in Chemistry, I speak 3 languages, and run my own successful business.
Low intelligence is not a term I would use for myself or anyone else I have never met."

Ok, I'll take you're word for that, but when it comes to basketball (and football for that matter) you are mentally retarted.

Since you seem to enjoy exaggerating my words and acting like I whacked you across the face with a sledgehammer even when I quite calmly criticize your posting, I thought I might as well get my money's worth with this one and give you some fuel. Have fun with this post!

Reply #224787 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A playoff spot is still not guaranteed at this stage. We might be able to make as high as 3rd but we can bow out altogether as well. We are 6th at present with 2 games left to go. If we are where we expected to be from predictions early in the season, then what did people think about how we would get there. Would we have found 3 wins and 11 losses on the road would have been acceptable. If it wasn't for the majority of home wins, a record like that could have put us at the bottom of the ladder. Add to that, how competitive will you be come finals if you can't win a game on the road. In my opinion the good work done at home has all been wasted because it won't amount to much in finals. The real problem I find is the extensive experience the team has losing on the road and yet they have been unable to combat the problem in future games. What's wrong with the coach if he can't study game tapes and work out strategies to overcome the previous game's problems in the next game. They go into each away game as though its their first and have no idea about how to get the job done because they can't remember what they did wrong last time. From the very beginning of this season I said that I would not be happy with anything less than 4th position. I can't see any point of doing all the hard work in preparing for the season, all the training, all the money spent to bring a competitive team to the floor and then be satisfied with mediocrity. If you don't make it to the top, you have to atleast strive to get there.

Reply #224788 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Sorry for most likely repeating some stuff already posted, but....

We can say that with this roster we should've done better, but frontcourt aside, it's not as if this team is head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Maybe in previous years, but a number of teams are fairly 'stacked' this year, and while we are maybe sitting a spot or below where this side on papaer should have us, that's not bad when you factor in the ridiculous run with injuries and then changing of imports and all the other distractions.

Reply #224791 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

DB5:

And whoever abused Wortho during the free throw, then followed up with the horn, that was gold!

That was me and Bizzy doing that...
We also got stuck into Ingles a little bit, amongst some of the other guys...

Reply #224795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Bake - I'd be interested to see the results of Sydney/Cairns games with both imports and other key players. I think the sixers would be further down the ladder if it wasn't for their financial issues.

Reply #224799 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bake, I think that's worth keeping in mind. However, Cairns were actually doing a little worse with their stacked roster and Black before they fell over, weren't they? Bit different with the Spirit though, although we did come up against them mostly while they had their original roster, from memory.

Top eight has become top six. Most teams are stronger this season due to the collapse of 2-3 teams (from which Adelaide didn't really benefit as we already had much of the roster locked in).

EC, I agree that unless they improve on the road, progressing in the post-season from 5th or 6th is likely to be rough.

Reply #224815 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Scotty has done a great job IMO, when your starting pg is a 22 year old rookie and davidson being out for a fair bit of the season, also with a rookie coach how do you expect us to realistically be winning championships, CJ wasnt taking teams to titles at 22 either.
The import situation, not scotts fault,Tyndale was scouted heavily and basically fitted the bill of what they wanted as a good all round hustle player, and with no injuries to guys like maher and davidson may have settled in a bit better and turned out decent, he had potential but was too young/inexperienced to be 'the man' at this stage in his career, but teams have done worse than tyndale. How could anyone have predicted the Hodge situation, everyone was so pumped to have him back and he was a great signing by ninnis and the club(on the court), it just didnt work out (off the court) but that is definatly not the fault of ninnis. Grizzard also was a good singing, and still is, sure his shot hasnt dropped consistantly yet but he is still rebounding/hustling and defending hard, he as good sure hands, doesnt fumble like tyndale, and is a good passer and possibly deferrs to others a bit 2 much whilst he is settling in, i still think he was the best proven player available and was a good signing, just needs to get his shot back ASAP.
Overall i say well done ninnis and he has also built a team with a good core to build on!

Reply #225002 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jonno, I had my suspicions about Hodge last year when he was new in Adelaide and the league. From his arrogant attitude and exaggerated opinion of self worth, he was never going to be a team player. This was further emphasised by his selfish style of play. Sure he did well for himself, but he brought others down in the process. Ninnis did not see this. As for rookie PG and young inexperienced import, Ninnis is known for favouring and developing juniors however the NBL is no place to start developing unless they are rookies. You can't recruit young players and put them in roles that they are too young to handle. All this does not add up to Ninnis doing a great job, it adds up to Ninnis being blinded by his beliefs and how suited they are to the NBL. He is better suited as a coach of the academy team and not NBL.

Reply #225007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok EC, I'll bite.
Who exactly would you have brought in to play the point? D-Mac?

Reply #225011 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Search the world perhaps? Its a big place out there.

Reply #225012 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

EC,

Ninnis is doing exactly what a coach is supposed to do. Have 3-5 year plans in place that takes youth, works with them, builds them up and into championship teams.

Want an example? The Portland Trailblazers - they have a core group of young players that they have been drafting and working with, giving them playing time etc. It has been going for the last 3 years or so and now they are starting to turn into a playoff team and hopefully will continue on to a championship.

One of the major criticisms of Phil was his lack of working with youth and getting young Aussie talent into the Sixers. IMO Ninnis is doing exactly that, working with youth.

I would much rather wait 2-5 years for a championship and win it with players that I have seen go from unsure rookies to great NBL players. It makes it so much more fulfilling than just buying a championship.

One other advantage of running with youth is that if you can get them to championship your window for winning more is so much bigger than getting veterans that don't have as much gas left in the tank.

Reply #225017 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

this is the weird thing, ninnis recruits young talent like bruce gives them opportunity and people bag him, phil did the opposite and lost guys like ingles because he wouldnt have given him the opportunity and got bagged, how can a coach win? what would you prefer?
I have no problems with how ninnis is going about it, lets be real people we cant win the title every year, least ninnis is building a core of one, i was a phil fan as i liked his free flowing style and he bouoght us a lot of success but he left us with no core to build on for the next couple of years, ninnis's first task was to rectify that and he has done that pretty well i think

Reply #225032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754