jc_23
Years ago

Ch 10: Ballinger agrees to stay with 36ers

If you caught the channel 10 sport they said Adam has agreed to stay here with the 36ers.

Topic #20135 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Channel 9 news said:

* Leaving - Jacob Holmes, David Cooper

* Targetting - Dusty Rychart, Darren Ng, Matt Burston

* Retaining - all the rest and if they have room Bruce.

Reply #239129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Burston/???
F Ballinger/???
F Rychart/Hill
G Import/Ng
G Import/Bruce

Reply #239131 | Report this post

jc_23  
Years ago

Also 10 said that Matt Burston's wife may sign with the lightning. Packaged deal?

Reply #239134 | Report this post

Seb  
Years ago

Holmes leaving?
thats a massive surprise and very disappointing if it turns out to be true

Reply #239135 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Holmes?
WTF?
Who on the SOS has the Sh*ts with Jacob? Have a look at the ABL results. He is carving up the competition and making others look ordinary.

The only thing I can think of is that he might be used as bait.

Reply #239136 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Holmes could be asking for than the team could afford?

Last word I heard before today though was Holmes was re-signing.

Reply #239139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard whispers from well known sources that Isaih victor will be a 36er this season.He will be our 4/5 import.

Reply #239140 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would be happy with Victor! If that is true could be someone just making something up though.

Yeah I am surprised about Jacob I wonder what that's about. Must be a money issue

Reply #239142 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wonder whether Rychart for Holmes (as suggested on ch9 news) ?

Reply #239143 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

I'm with Skip I was under the impression that Holmes was re-sighing

Reply #239146 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Victor would be ok.

anon, Dusty at SF would be a disaster.

If we believe ch.9 Schenscher is still not out of the question.

Something like this would be good:

C - Burston - Someone? - Hoban

PF - Ballinger - Someone? - Hoban

SF - Import - Hill

SG - Import(who can chip in at PG) - Ng/Hill

PG - Bruce - Ng - Burdon

IMO Bruce must be the #1 priority right now. He is ready to be the starting PG.

Also, with Mahersy gone and no clear option at small-forward, we have never needed Oscar Forman back more than we do right now. He would be absolutely ideal. Any news there Isaac?

If we can't get Burston or Schensch then I'd take an import big man over Dusty and chase an Aussie swingman. Not sure who the backup big man could be, how's Hoban's form been for Forrestville? I might just go and read that Khazzouh thread...

Reply #239147 | Report this post

Crooked  
Years ago

ABC News just said Schenscher was off to Europe...

Reply #239148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XztatiK, Ballinger could play some SF and PF minutes

Reply #239150 | Report this post

SOS  
Years ago

I can assure you all that the 36ers and Jacob are still in discussions, as we are with many potential players.
We will make formal announcements as agreements are reached.
Thanks for your support

Reply #239151 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I'd say Oscar's pretty set at the Breakers.

Reply #239152 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Also, with Mahersy gone and no clear option at small-forward, we have never needed Oscar Forman back more than we do right now. He would be absolutely ideal. Any news there Isaac?"

Had a great convo with Oscar a few weeks ago at a pub, was extremely happy at the time with the direction NZ was taking, and not so much with the 36er's. This was just after he had signed for 3 more years. Though he did point out at some point he would like to come back here.

In saying this alot has happened since then and previous contracts are obviously nothing, so maybe some of Oscars mates should get him drunk and throw a contract infront of him???

Reply #239154 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd be taking Dusty for Holmes everyday of the week. The former defensive player of the year is a standout at ABL level be is undersized & overated for the NBL.

If he is prepared to be a role player off the bench I'd sign him up as part of the rotation but not for the starting 5 & more than likely on a lot less $$$ than he was previously on.

Reply #239156 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

What would people think of this as a potential line up

C Burston/ Victor
PF Ballinger/Rychart
SF Holmes/Hill
SG IMPORT (combo guard)/Ng
PG Bruce/Davidson

I think it would look good, my only doubt is wether say a rychart would come back to come off the bench with victor and holmes potentially taking up minutes in the PF/C rotation, but if we could get that line upt together it looks well rounded and strong, my guess would be it would be dusty or victor/burston.
Either way that would still be a nice line up if something like that was put together.

Reply #239157 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Id go for:

Burston
Ballinger
Holmes
IMPORT
IMPORT (Williams??)

Rychart
Hill
Ng
Bruce

Reply #239158 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Great news @ Balls.

Bring back Darren Ng.

I'm surprised @ the Holmes talk. You'd think he'll be retained unless he is asking for more money.

Not that keen on Dusty even though he's a good player. I don't think he's a good fit/duo with Balls. They are too similar in court positioning etc. They'd get in each other's space too much I feel.

I'm also glad to see Ninnis back as coach.

Reply #239168 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Jonno, bit of a waste having two starting-quality players in Dusty and Victor coming off the bench, one would do.

Reply #239169 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Anyone know whether the 36ers have approached Corey Williams management. The dude flat out puts bums in seats and is unbelievably marketable. Oh yeah, and he can play

Reply #239183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would they get Victor when they already have Ballinger? Can't see it happening.

Reply #239194 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Johnson

Good on you for mentioning Corey Homicide Williams.

The man can flat-out play and no doubt he draws my attention. Sign him if we can.

Reply #239195 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

williams cant shoot to save himself, sure he is interesting to watch now and again but seeing all the bricks he shoots would do my head in. Remember the game last year with tyndale defending him it was hilarious as he gave him 5 metres and he still wouldnt shoot as cant do anything unless hes on the break.

Go for an unknown kid out of college that doesnt get drafted..

Reply #239198 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Unfortunately Holmes used to offer great value for money but now the cash he demands/deserves makes it tough to fit him in for what he returns, defense and rebounding decent enough but his offensive input can be very up and down.

Reply #239199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Holmes is very limited in the NBL with his inconsistent shot. He needs to be played as a 2/3 so he can make use of his post game, but he would need to improve his perimeter defence alot to move back to that position.

But he is a very good rebounder and interior/team defender, if he is happy to come off the bench the Sixers should keep him. If not, he prob isnt worth signing as a starter.

I think the Sixers should be chasing Liam Rush pretty hard.

A team of Burston, Ballinger, Rush, import, Bruce
Victor, Holmes, Hill, Ng, backup pg (Daniel Dillon?)

has great potential.

Reply #239202 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Not sure about Homicide has no outside shot and is a individual plyr that drives at the basket scorer like Hodge except Hodge scores more and team isnt a team.
I would imagine their are lots of pg- sg imports out there so sure we could do better.
Great Ballinger signing certainly could not have BAllinger -Victor and Dusty in same team but like to see Dusty back should not be that expensive.
Like to see a big PF like Donta Smith as our 2nd import. AS previous posted like to see Burston as our centre but need a good back up as wont quite have impact of Schens. I believe Holmes will suit for us but need to know now is a bench come on do a job player not a priority starter.
Bruce NG and Hill good signings but too sure of our defence if Hill and NG on court same time
THANKS SOS GROUP

Reply #239205 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

"Go for an unknown kid out of college that doesnt get drafted.."

Yeah because having a rookie import works wonders doesn't it. Just ask Mark Tyndale.

Reply #239206 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

Im not huge on Victor, would love to see homicide in a sixers uni.

my team

C Burston/Horvath
PF Ballinger/Holmes
SF Donta Smith/Hill
SG Ng/Rillie
PG C. Williams/Davidson

Reply #239209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if Horvath is actually a chance to be in Adelaide again?

would be funny if our three former big imports came together - and as Australians.

C Burston/Horvath
F Ballinger/Rychart
F Holmes/Hill
G Import/Ng
G Williams/Bruce

That would be over the points cap and salary cap though..

Reply #239213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers eyeing free agent options

"You start with Adam Ballinger obviously, look I've spoken to Matt Burston, the starting centre for the South Dragons last year, we would look at a point guard, import point guard, the great teams, the championship teams have had super point guards and I think that's an area we really need to consolidate in," Ninnis said.

http://linky.com.au/ygi5t

Reply #239214 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I don't think Oscar will be back for a while, even when the league was in doubt all contracted Breakers players were guaranteed their wages ect. Not to many other clubs would have been in a position to do this.
I'm pretty sure that even if this season didn't go ahead they would have still had jobs and wages.
Plus we got him and plan to keep him, the man has mad game....

Reply #239217 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

I would rather try and develop Hoban than bring back "First half Horvath"!!!!

What do people think of Donta Smith from the dragons last year? Although i guess he is irrelevant if we are searching for a pg import. Fingers crossed for Homicide!

Reply #239218 | Report this post

jc23  
Years ago

sign Donta Smith its all I will saay

Reply #239219 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's important to remember that Donta Smith was not a dominant player last season, but a spectacular player who fed off teammates and let the game come to him. He does not have the jumpshot to carry a team, but if there are enough shooters around him (having Ballinger at the 4/5 helps) he can be a very very good addition to a team  but you need the shooters first.

Reply #239221 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Be careful reading too much into TV News rumors guys, they're notoriously unreliable.

I'd be very surprised to see Jacob go anywhere else. Don't forget that when he did leave it was only over to Melbourne to play with the dragons. Unless the Tigers are interested in him (why would they?!) I can't see him going anywhere. And I know his family quite well - I'd have a hard time believing that he would be asking for more money than what he's worth.

Reply #239254 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

I agree Paul that we need a shooter but hopefully The Ninja can fill that position, saw him play against Eastern the other day and he shot the lights out. Now even if the defense wasnt great (which it was on some shots) he still has mechanical range.

I think Donta would fill that "energy/hustler" role of ours. Jacob does hustle hard on D and Boards but 1 he is a liability on offense when his shot isnt falling and 2 i think Donta's athletecism around the basket could be the perfect compliment to Balls finese.

Reply #239256 | Report this post

MJ  
Years ago

Donta would cost the club a lot of money!

Reply #239259 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

So would any other import though.

Reply #239268 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Donta would be a good signing. I think the import point guard would need to be a money shooter though, giving the team Ballinger, Ng and the import that can spread the floor. A bench with Holmes, Hill and Bruce is not great from the perimeter, so signing Nathan Herbert, Burston who is solid out to 15 feet, and a Janev or Egan who can shoot would create a team that Smith could flourish in.

Reply #239279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG: Import / Davidson
SG: Ng / Herbert
SF: Import / Hill
PF: Balls / Dusty
C: Burston / Cooper

That should be the team for next year. I don't think we'll be able to retain Bruce, I think he'll want too much money and head to Europe. Cooper is an inexpensive big and we don't need any more scorers. I'd sign him for the minimum this season. Then sign Hoban to another Develpoment contract.

I know on this depth chart Dusty is a backup behind Ballinger but I think a nine man rotation (bench Cooper) with Balls playing about 40 minutes and Burston and Dusty just below 30 minutes each.

Obviously, Williams would be an ideal PG import. The SF import spot should be filled by player like we thought we were signing in Mark Tyndale (long, athletic, defensively minded and a reliable 3pt shooter).

Remember that we can only sign players to a one year contract, so I would think guys like Schenscher and Bruce will go to Europe for a year, earn some money, and then look for long term security when the 'official' reform takes place.

Reply #239303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Burston/HorvathorKazzouh
F Ballinger/Rychart
F RushorHolmes/Hill
G Import/Ng
G Williams/Bruce

Reply #239314 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Seriously why would Bruce think he as small PG think he would get import gig in Euro.
Like to see him come back but not established NBL plyr yet.

Reply #239316 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

How about

C Burston/Mottram
F Ballinger/Hoban
F Ebie/import/Holmes
G Hill/Ng
G Import/Bruce

Reply #239317 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wonder whether then , Bruce is asking too much, from ch9 mentioning, sixers may not be able to fit him in the cap.

Reply #239320 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Any news on Grizzard?

Reply #239321 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Ebi Ere will be released by the Tigers because of their new All Australian player policy. If we could sign him that would be the perfect solution to our shooter/guard/import problems as he is proven in all areas.

Reply #239322 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

aaa - I think Ebi has already found a team for the upcoming season :)

Reply #239324 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

I think it would be ridiculous if the 36ers do not try extremely hard to sign Bruce. I find it astonishing that more than half the posters in this topic do not even have him in there rosters..

Bruce will hopefully return to Adelaide, but if not. I'm sure his new Fans will truly appreciate him what he is and will be for their club.

Reply #239326 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Statman are you sure he has signed elsewhere?

Reply #239327 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

A 3-man PF/C rotation with Balls, Burston and Horvath sounds good.

Isaac, I think Victor could compliment Balls. He's versatile enough to play SF and C and hasn't got in the way of Redhage/Loughton or Wortho in his time so far. Maybe not worth an import spot if we need it at PG though (I'm sure we'll need at least one swingman import). Ebi or Donta would both be great, but won't be cheap.

Reply #239330 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

With crawford leaving perth, we are after an import SG and rummor has it that marvin wants to get ere.

Reply #239337 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Pretty sure he hasnt actually signed but its not far off :)

Reply #239340 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd take Ebi Ere on the 36ers team anyway. The bloke has all-round skills and the entertainment value.

Reply #239352 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Burston
Ballinger
Import(Ebi Ere, Donta Smith, P.J. Tucker)
Import(Tamar Slay, Guilermo Diaz, James White)
Bruce

Cooper
Holmes
Ng
Dillon
Hill

A few of the imports you may not have heard of but I know they can play from what ive seen. i follow the summer league and the Dleague pretty closely and i think these imports could work.

Or we could try and get Bonzi wells....he is available

Reply #239361 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

This is going to be weird with an owner looking for players...

Reply #239362 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If it's only 40min game , I'd probably just go ;
Ballinger and Rychart - as Aussies.
Burston ( with his wife playing for Lightning.
Hill ,Ng , Burdon and Davidson.
Imports- C.Williams and D.Smith.

Reply #239373 | Report this post

Tony Pepperoni  
Years ago

I have since heard that Burston is linked back to Perth.
Also hear that the rumours of Jacob asking too much money is also true, the bloke could possibly price himself out of the market!

Reply #239421 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

Bonzi Wells would be great, dont see it happening though. I agree with 40 minute games, not as much need for depth on the bench.

Reply #239443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754