Isaac
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers confirm signing of Ballinger

Excellent news today from the Adelaide 36ers with confirmation that club MVP Adam Ballinger has been re-signed for the coming season.

Head Coach of the Sixers, Scott Ninnis said "Adam has been the Club's MVP for the last two years and is one of the elite, and most sought after power forwards in the competition, so getting him signed was always an absolute priority for us."

Ninnis added "We were always aware there would be significant interest in Adam from other Clubs, so it is fantastic to see he has the utmost confidence in the Club and we look forward to a long and successful future together."
Top-tier player and now naturalised - a good start for 09/10.

Topic #20150 | Report this topic

jc_23  
Years ago

great, now or the rest of the team =)

Reply #239426 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

One down, nine to go.

No Cooper.

Reply #239427 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Awesome news, cheers Isaac. Hopefully Burston is the next such announcement.

Reply #239428 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Great news.

hopefully they can snare another great centre to support Adam if Luke S is not available. that will likely be the next target.

Reply #239433 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Great news, but does the contract include him having to play defence this time?

Reply #239436 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Huge news now lets get a good team around him.
Re D bit harsh A and not on his own in that area last season. Get Dunlap back to work with them or have Darnell as a defence coach.
Hopefully we dont lose Burston to Perth as not too many good options left in Aust. if dont get.
Either way like top see us get a strong aggressive young big to add something extra both in D and under the basket

Reply #239458 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A strong agressive young big - Adrien Sturt is the best.

Reply #239464 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Let's build a team around the fact that Cooper will not be there! But that is a little unfair. Coops had his share of pretty reasonable games and was an example of how you should play within your limitations.
Fantastic news about Ballinger, and now we all await the balance of the team being released.
I for one will be a season ticket holder once again and looking forward to it.

Reply #239469 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

It amazes me the amount of crap Cooper cops on here. This is a guy that was replaced last year after a fantastic year the previous.
Hes shown that when the loads put onto his shoulders he is able to step up and preform at a decent level. His D is fantastic and his offence has improved yearly. Last year being one of his works, mostly due to the court time he received.

You should all be greatful we have has his efforts in the previous years when he was never supposed to be the #1 centre, yet handled the position fantastically.

Reply #239475 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Skud,
Coops does get his fair share of shite on this forum. He is a bit of a punching bag.
He is a pretty good contributor Defensively and doing those team things that no-one really sees. Setting screens for guards to drive in for layups, setting screens when the ball is being carried down, calling the manups in D and of course his trademark blocks.
Offensively, there is not too many fans that don't cringe when he has the ball in his hand. With seconds on the shot clock, he is not the one to knock down a 3.
But, lets compare him against another centre, someone like Paul Rogers. DC:PR
MPG 22.5:26.5
FG% 43%:49% (PR)
FT% 56%:56% (Same)
RPG 5.2: 9.1 (PR)
APG 1.1:2.0 (PR)
SPG 0.45:0.55 (PR)
BPG 1.19:1.37 (PR)
TPG 1.12:1.80 (DC)
FPG 2.78:2.20
PPG 5.32:14.41 (PR)

Rogers walks all over Coops. If you had a choice, which one?

Reply #239491 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Games played last season: Cooper 31, Rogers 2.

Reply #239496 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So true Isaac, but I was comparing the career stats.

Let me rephrase. "If you had a choice of either one, injury free and fully fit at the peak of their careers, which one?"

Reply #239499 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Nice point Isaac, I was actually glad to see Rogers opt out on us a few years ago, had a few injuries, then when he hit Perth, got an MVP i reckon and then went thru a series of other injuries...

Coops is no superstar by any stretch, even probably if you asked him, but he sure as shit is serviceable.

Reply #239500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would you even compare Coops and Rogers though? One was a $1m over 5 years pick-up while the other has always been a serviceable roleplayer who does what he has to do.

Reply #239504 | Report this post

BBB  
Years ago

I agree Coops is no superstar but is solid, I think it is sad that guys like him more than likely will not get a gig this year. Too many fighting for too little

Reply #239505 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Can not understand the bagging Coops gets from some on here. Frankly was quite happy with his contributions over the years. At least you knew what you got. Yeah his offence was not good but his work rate and defence was great to watch. Old extendo arms on the block was always good.

Work rate could not be faulted some times prone to foul trouble. But he proved that he could adapt and became/was a very serviceable player.

Reply #239506 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'have Darnell as a defence coach.'

Outstanding idea, would be an brilliant asset to any club.

Reply #239509 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Darnell is suiting up again this year?

Reply #239523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754