again - not including u21s div 1

Reply #22927 | Report this post

disco stew  
Years ago

no tigers as well

Reply #22928 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

perhaps if centrals and mavs stopped nominating their teams in such higher grades all the time some success may come

1 or 2 teams in an age group should not always be auto div 1 and 2 first

Reply #22929 | Report this post

disco stew  
Years ago

ooops - left 1 sturt and 1 north off Div 3

sorry !

Reply #22931 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

observer

don't you think that by playing in the higher divisions, that you start developing players and playing at a higher level?

I think that the Mavs and all teams nominate at division 1 to introduce their teams to that level, whether they are ready for it or not.

Reply #22932 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Anyone that thinks that purely by playing in a higher division you will produce better players should be taken out and shot!

Reply #22944 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

So Southern should also not nominate div 1 teams as well?

Reply #22945 | Report this post

Barloo  
Years ago

Pegs,

I agree totally, still can't work out how taking the ball out of the net only to have it stolen for another layup helps either team improve.

In the Know,

All clubs should be able to nominate teams in div 1 if they are going to be competitive. This does not mean that they will make the GF.

But until after the summer season is run it is impossible to know if the teams will be competitive. SO the only solution again is promotion/relegation over summer and 8 teams competitions over winter.

Reply #22961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately I have seen it time and time again where the bottom team is beaten by over twenty points by the other bottom teams, let alone the top teams.

In these cases the bottom team should go to a lower grade.

It is my experience that neither team learns much from a big winning margin. The top teams learn bad habits. The bottom teams don't learn anything at all and will tend to leave the sport!

Unless clubs are expecting some good players to turn up (ie from another sport or another state/club) then they should nominate their div 1 team in div 2.

It doesn't matter what club either, Southern or Sturt or Centrals should equally do the same for the sake of the entire competition and the standard of player we are trying to produce.

Well that is my two bob!

Reply #22967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think thats a really good option, that if you win 0 games or consitantly come bottom rung, then the team should be forced to drop to div 2. wouldnt that make coaches nervous!

Reply #22982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this theory should come into play, then the reverse should also happen. Div 3 teams that consistently beat the other top teams should not be allowed to stay in div 3, they should be moved to div 2.

Reply #22991 | Report this post

emotional parent  
Years ago

mavs - 10 girls teams nominated over summer

centrals - 8 girls teams

tigers about 18

although no tigers teams made grand finals - there numbers are at least better

blindly placing your only girls in div 1 is honourable - but surely an assessment of their game warrants where you go.

look at mavs stats in u16 div 2 girls - or centrals in div 3 u16 girls - if they improve fair enough - but the mental game is as much as the physical

long term - build your team up

Reply #23011 | Report this post

emotional parent  
Years ago

it probably gets back to the theory - "if i can't get a div 1 game at ----- i can get good div 1 minutes at ----- "

which worked for a few - but generally ost stayed at their club

Reply #23012 | Report this post

Seems there is a feeling here from these conversations that SA junior basketball would be best served by allowing some clubs to have more than one team in Div 1 while others had none. What a pity BASA does not have our vision!!!!

Reply #23126 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Don't blame BASA. The clubs have voted on this a couple of times in the last few years, and most clubs are in favour of not allowing multiple div 1 teams, hence the current structure.

Reply #23130 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Paul - BASA and the clubs are essentially the same body - and therein lays the problem. Each club is worried about its own position rather than allowing a central authority to make decisions that will improve basketball in SA, albeit at the expense of some teams/clubs.

Reply #23139 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

By relegation and promotion, can we honestly say that Div 2 teams would be any better than Div 1 teams that are currently there.

Reply #23143 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

$talks, yep, I know that BASA is owned by the clubs. I was just trying to point out that in this particular case, the decision to stick with a maximum of 1 division 1 team per club was a decision voted on by club delegates, and not decided by employees of BASA.

If the general basketball public would like to influence this decision, they should speak to their own clubs, not BASA.

Reply #23144 | Report this post

Crickey  
Years ago

In the know,

Do you understand the the whole concept of promotion/relegation allows teams to play for the priviledge to play in div 1. Therefore the best 8 teams would be in div 1. I'm quite sure that seeing as the div 2 teams would actually need to beat the div 1 teams that you are referring too. Yes they would be better. Also by cutting the competition down to 8 teams this would allow for each team to play 3 times (in all grades) and provide a fair and equitable competition for all.

Reply #23166 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:47 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754