G.Smith
Years ago

World Championships 80's - 90's

I'm sure many basketball fans on here remember the days when Championship sides from each Country's Pro league would playoff in the 'world championships'

I stumbled accross this video on youtube of PERTH Wildcats vs HOUSTON Rockets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9xSy4irB7s

- Does anyone remember any good games?
- Anyone know where it would be somehow possible to purchase game tapes?

Topic #20412 | Report this topic

G.Smith  
Years ago

I should change the name to McDonalds Championships but i dont know how to change it?

Anyway I do know that is the name and that it was like the Basketball version of The Fifa World Cup, i just remember Americans always calling it the World Champs.. Sorry if anyone hates the topic name

Reply #242765 | Report this post

Rain maker  
Years ago

That is a classic video. If the McDonalds Championship was still being held I garuntee that NBL would thousands and thousand of more fans.

All my mates, that are Footy boys hate the NBL but know everything about the NBA? SO if the NBL teams were playing against NBA teams we would have great exposure.

If only things were different :) ahhhhhh

Reply #242768 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

JC vs The Dream...
Cassell vs Grace
I remember watching it all on TV great times!

Reply #242781 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

This tournament is being revived by FIBA next year but no NBA team and no Euroleague teams in the first edition but hopefully they get on board the year after.

See here for more details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_World_Club_Championship

Reply #242802 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I didn't think Hakeem played in that game?

Reply #242838 | Report this post

The Sabonis dunk over David Robinson at the World champs in the 80's was MASSIVE

Reply #242841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754