Isaac
Years ago

Brendan Joyce sues Gold Coast Blaze for $320k

Dumped Gold Coast Blaze head coach Brendan Joyce is suing his former club for almost $320,000 that he says he would have earned if it had honoured its four-year contract with him.

Joyce, who took on the $150,000- a-year job in 2007, filed a damages claim on Monday against the company that runs the Blaze, citing breach of contract.

Court documents filed in the Supreme Court in Brisbane claim Joyce is entitled to $319,200 plus interest and costs after he moved to the Gold Coast with his wife and kids, expecting to have a job for four years.
Full story at goldcoast.com.au

I don't love the guy but I do wonder if he has a case, or at least should have a case - he signed a contract in good faith and relocated his family accordingly. He had a shocking second season, but some responsibility should fall upon the Blaze for signing him to a four year contract!

And the break as provided by the NBL has proven to be pretty token and little more than an excuse for clubs to break the deals they don't like.

Topic #20916 | Report this topic

Chuck  
Years ago

They signed Joey for the same amount and a long time frame as well. Blaze shouldnt be giving coaches 5 year deals

Reply #248394 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

He may have a point, but I'd feel a bit more sorry for a few of the players in the league who would have done the same thing, in many cases for much less than $150K per year.

I mean, didn't we sign Winitana for more than one year, and he moved here from another country?

Gold Coast have obviously learned nothing from Joyce if they have signed Wright for the same period of time.

Reply #248395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure there were a lot of players out there that had longer term contracts that ended up with a lesser contract or none at all!

I wouldn't be surprised if a player or 2 does the same thing.

Reply #248396 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I know the Blaze sought extensive legal advice prior to his termination, so Joyce may be grabbing at straws.

He should be paying us for all the pain and suffering we had to endure anyways :)

Reply #248397 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

Joyce just likes suing, he threatened to sue me and my girlfriend over a complaint about him. tosser.

Reply #248399 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did Winitana actually have a two-year deal or maybe an option on the second year?

Ben, legal or not, it's not exactly all that nice.

Reply #248400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am under the impression that all contracts from the previous NBL are null and void for this year.

Aaron Bruce was on a 2 year deal..... only played 1.

Does this include Coaches

Reply #248401 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

If I knew how I would totally embed a picture of the 'Don't sue people Panda' right here. Ohhh would that be funny!

(Mod: Too good to leave out)

Reply #248402 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Winitana had a 1 year deal with an option that was to be picked up at the discretion of the club.

Reply #248406 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whether you like BJ or not, he has a point and a lot to gain from taking such action. The result of this action may determine whether others follow suit - such as players.

Reply #248412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is a contract a legal document that can just be 'voided' because BA says so?

My guess is NO

On what grounds can they just void peoples contracts?

Coaches are on different contracts to players though - totally different system

Reply #248414 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Players have certain clauses in their contracts that they get bonuses for performing and I'm sure if they fall below standard there are ramifications as well.

Perhaps Joyce had a clause that if he had such a crap season as the Blaze did last year that they could turf him... and he doesn't like that

Reply #248415 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Haven't dealt with contracts personally, but what happens in other work/jobs where work is contracted out and cut short. Would imagine a fee/rate is worked out based on what work is complete up till that point and the time taken.

If your not performing I have no problem with people being cut from contracts. Clearly something should be put in place when the contract is written up to cover performance, guarantees (length of time, min pay etc etc).

Reply #248419 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I've signed contracts before that says that either party can terminate the contract with a weeks notice. Obviously different fields but I am sure the Blaze aren't stupid enough to lock themselves in for 4 years if they didn't want to be.

Reply #248421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im sure he wouldnt be sueing if they gave SOJ a roster spot this year... would have saved them around $285000 too...

Reply #248423 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the contract is for services rendered in the organisdation that was known as the NBL, then those services cant be rendered anymore. However, depending on the wording of the contract the Blaze could stil be forced to pay.

But if the wording says while the Gold Coast Blaze are cmopetiting in the National Basketball League (obviously more complicated than that but that is an example) then the contract is probably not valid anymore.

Reply #248424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like the guy but I doubt the Blaze can get away with this. Look for the old out of court settlement.

Reply #248425 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, that might be a technical ruling but it's not really supporting the Maboish 'vibe' of the contract. Sure, if they weren't competing in a professional league at all, it might protect them, but realistically the league has carried on more or less as before.

Reply #248426 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

Some coaches are on different contracts to players, the standard nbl contract had a section in it saying if a new BA Entity was created existing contracts void, i suspect joyce didnt have that contract. I hear he has one of the best QC in the nation and a terror solicitor and that they have an extensive case against the blaze. Apparently some interesting documentation. If i was the blaze i would be offering a settlement too!

I agree how stupid is the CEO for doing the same for Joey Wright.

Reply #248428 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

the only settlement joyce will take is a cheque for $320k

Reply #248432 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Interesting that the Blaze hired Wright too considering he is in legal battles of his own with ex Bullets owner Eddy Groves...

Reply #248437 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Why should Groves' desperation to clutch at straws for money have anything to do with hiring Wright?
By the time his now ex wife is done with suing him for millions, and various other parties who are also suing him, there'll be little left for Groves to follow through with suing anybody, and that's even despite him still having millions tucked away- he'll need every single cent he can get by the time Wright's court date rolls around- he's the least of Groves' financial problems.

Irrespective of what people think of Wright's coaching abilities, that's exactly what he was hired for- nothing more, nothing less.
The court case has absolutely nothing to do with anything Blaze-related.

Reply #248438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Relax - I think they were just suggesting it was a bit of an amusing coincidence.

Reply #248440 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

I like that point. They've signed a coach who will go straight to the lawyers if it goes pear shaped - again! Whats wrong with one year deals with options? It's not like the coaches have heaps of opportunities.

Does BJ have a case? Yes - but what is a contract these days in sport? They tend to get ripped up all the time.

It's not good for the sport which needs good press right now....

Reply #248441 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Does this have the potential to drain the league of its funds if BJ gets paid out, PLENTY of others could do the exact same thing, leaving multiple clubs alot worse off..

Reply #248444 | Report this post

eel345  
Years ago

The Gold Coast Blaze is run by a bunch of people who have no idea.

Dave Claxton is a failed coach impersonating a chief executive.

The tomlinson clan, and there are about 50 of them, are just spending a family inheritance

All the best to Brendan, if they cut his contract short and they should have paid him out.

It's interesting no hoper Tyson Demos kept his contract, perhaps its got something to do with the fact he is a tomlinson family friend.

Reply #248446 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Demos is a better prospect than Joyce.

Reply #248447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree Claxton has little business nous. Not sure if Owen really has any either. Guess we should just be thankful there is a team.

Reply #248453 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah I dont mind Demos. Is he their U23er? If so that's a handy signing.

Reply #248455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What you are saying is quite possibly spot on Isaac, the point I was making is I think it depends on just how specific the wording of the contract is.

You could make a case that Joyce entered into the contract well aware that the sport would be undergoing reform and there fore knew the risks.

I suspect there will be some kind of settlement - but from precedents I am aware of Joyce is very, very unlikely to get anywhere near $320K as he has not provided the services that money was in return for. More likely to get some kind of severance payout.

Reply #248459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, a technicality. As I said, I don't like him much and hear more than enough wailing from the Hawks and Blaze camps left in his wake, but the guy would've been excited by a four year deal and moved his family up there (bit funny given that it seems the role pushed upon his son was part of the problem). Then in comes some half-baked 'reform' and dissolution of club agreements and it's an easy excuse to bail.

It's not a new thing for clubs - players have been ditched and had to fight for meagre deals many times - but there's not much to like about it. (OK, in this case, maybe, but that aside...)

Reply #248460 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

True. Plenty of players have walked out on contracts too.

Reply #248467 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

i think many havent pursed when owners have terminated contracts, its good to see joyce is as hopefully this sends a sign to owners that they cant dump you and not give you any settlement. This is a postive for the welfare of players and coaches.

Reply #248474 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

From what I have read it seems that the original contract was for 4 years, with no KPIs attached. The Blaze have tried to use the 'end of the NBL as we knew it' to escape from the contract.

I am sure that Joyce would have signed for 4 years guaranteed - we are talking about 1 of only 10 head coaching jobs in the country

I would imagine that the decision on compensation will be dependant upon the argument whether the NBL continued, or collapsed and was re-born, thus voiding all existing contracts.

Reply #248478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not really an argument, it’s a completely new organisation. But a court could well say that the Blaze are still competing in the highest comp and so in the spirit of the contractsome payment should be made.

Reply #248481 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

also u need to establish the date when he was fired, from what i hear, u can also obtain documents via court, that there is evidence the blaze sacked him prior to the demise of the former nbl. Also it the company that runs the blaze he is suing, so really interesting to see what happens, but i suggest it doesnt look good for the blaze.

Reference Demos, he is a great kid and deserves he place. Yes he is friends with the blaze owners son, this shouldnt be brought up though, he is obvisouly smart as well.

Reference the Tomilisons, correct they live on inheritence and have no business acumen, there has been a massive turnover in the front office from day one at the blaze due to them and Claxton having no idea on how to run a business.

Reply #248504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that there is at least 1 Tomlinson who has some idea when it comes to running a business...

I will however agree that 1 of them looks like his main priority at games is to keep the Crownies flowing and abusing the opposition!
Its not really a good look for an organisation to have one of the owners look like a drunk bum at games and other functions

Reply #248590 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

ha ha yes i totally agree same goes for ceo claxton at after game functions totally drunk.

i hear also the team break up was rather interesting at the owners house, some very interesting 'entertainment' for the players.

they are just blowing the family inheritence away.

Reply #248592 | Report this post

Malone  
Years ago

Take him back Blaze!!

BJ & son are not wanted in W'gong - lunatic

Reply #248640 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

there are plenty of people at the gong who would have them back.

Reply #248655 | Report this post

Malone  
Years ago

Yes - he can swear and act unprofessional in front of the kids again. That's what the league needs at the moment.

Reply #248696 | Report this post

PGK  
Years ago

William 34 dont over rate yourself idiot. I know Brendan personaly and he wouldnt even give dick heads like you the oxygen to talk about you.

Reply #253767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down, I can see you know him personally by your language. Just pointing out the league needs some role models right now. I'm sure you mention this point re Claxton earlier.

Reply #253869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know how this case ended up? joyce or blaze win? im hoping blaze.

Reply #278029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess most people who posted on this forum kinda look silly now! Eat a bowl of it!

Reply #345096 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Whats the go with this case? Heard brendan settles behind closed doors for a set amount but under 320k. Why?

Reply #357081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he can get some sort of money given how bad the Blaze are travelling financially?

eg say I dunno $250K paid reasonably promptly vs $320 paid monthly over say 24 months and if they folded over that time fat chance getting your money then. For this very reason Schenscher gets paid his whole seasons salary on the first day of the season.

Reply #357093 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Wow how did schensch negotiate that deal?

Reply #357096 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

bj is a legendary coach. what the blaze did is completely wrong and they are complete dick heads. i hope the blaze die in its ass.

Reply #363312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% agree

Reply #366499 | Report this post

Anonymous2  
Years ago

you folks dont have a clue how deep the Tomlinsons have put money from their own pockets! Why dont you criticizers put money together and do what they did?
As for Tomlinsons knowing how to run a business, I know more than one able to start businesses from scratch and build reputable national companies.

Reply #368354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754