South 2
West 1
Torrens Valley 1
Northern 1
Southern 0
Eastern 0
Centrals 0

Some observations

1/ North have dropped down below Forestville. Does this mean that the City South is already having an effect?

2/ South won both it's finals in the lowest grades of the age group. Does this mean that they are doing a bad job of team selections?

3/ One of Woodville's wins was by an U/12 team in the U/10's. Is this ethical?

4/ Will player movement have much of an effect for the winter season?

Topic #2095 | Report this topic

good pass  
Years ago

good post. id say most of sturts grand final victories came from the younger age group, after all, thier junior programm is very efficent and successful.

forestville have increased significantly over the last few years in both boys and girls competitions.

interesting to note now that southern have fallen dramaticaly down the scale after beinh up the top for several seasons.

any reasons for these things that have happened?

Reply #23722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets just wait until the main season. I will give some excuses for Southern. Under 10 Boys were third,not the end of the world. Under10 Boys Div 2. Had two teams above it that are now in Div 1. They finished 4th. Under 10 Girls Div 1 Played Woodville 4 times in the main season and then played them in the semi. Considering they were Under 12s they will be top 2 next season. Under 10 Div 2 Girls had 6 clubs above them not in the div1 comp. They finished 7th. With all those teams going up you would think that they will make the Grand Final next season. Under 12 Div 1 Boys finished 4th after having to play Sturt twice in the mainseason. They had beaton both Woodville and South in earlier games. Div 2 were around the mark. Under 12 Girls Div 1 finished 3rd behind 2 very strong teams. Div 2 have improved, looking at recent results. Under 14 boys is a weak group and have improved slightly. Div 2s doing well. 14 1 and 2 girls were dissapointing but did have a few games where both teams have had injuries. 16 boys had to play West and Sturt twice and finished 5th. 16 girls also have had injuries and have not had a full team at any stage. 18 Boys, a very close competion with them losing 4games by less than 4 points and did beat west last game of the season.18 Girls are imprioving and will push some teams later in the main season. The reason for this write up is because it is still a way to go and the summer season draw does not always benefit all clubs. Forestville also had a tuff draw playing North and Sturt twice. Time will tell whether clubs improve or not but I still think it is too early. Sturt, Forestville anand North have shown that they are the early leaders. And no I don't think that what Woodville did was ethical. Especially when they press teams for the whole game. I guess clubs will get them back when they go up to Under12s this season.

Reply #23736 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Yeah don't forget the 20/1s and the 21/1s still have their finals to play. Could boost Woodville past Norwood, and North past Forestville on the 'ladder'.

Reply #23750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And to be honest how many of Forestvilles wins were in Div 1. Particularly the Boys?

Reply #23782 | Report this post

interesting  
Years ago

they won under 18 boys won. some would say the elite age level...or most important.

18 girls div 1 also got the victory.

and not only that, the div 2 teams (both boys and girls) won too. sour grapes anonymous

Reply #23787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha couldnt agree more interesting

Reply #23792 | Report this post

not in the know  
Years ago

Yes but I would be asking how many of those Div 2 players were Div 1 prior to "the influx"??

Reply #23793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you mean Forestville approaching other players, instead of developing their own? I only thought it was just me imagining that.

Reply #23826 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Seems there are a lot of people on here can't handle another club having some success.

Reply #23828 | Report this post

Riley  
Years ago

Kids don't go to Forestville because they are approached, it's because if one is not happy with their current club and are looking for a change, Forestville would be high on the list of possible places to change to.

Congratulations to the eagles under 18 programmes, both girls and boys.....keep up the good work!

Reply #23830 | Report this post

Mr.Bean  
Years ago

Let me just say. We are one of many who have moved to Forestville. It was my son choice to move 6 years ago. Forestville coaching structure has given him the development required to play at whatever level. I have been very impressed with the whole club from the top to the bottom, it has a very professional feel about it. A good example is the clubs website, it always seems to be up to date and has great information. I believe by setting the bar higher the club has attracted all level of players and will continue to do so.

Reply #23868 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Did you mean poaching program? Yes it is awsome.

Reply #23869 | Report this post

Mr.Bean  
Years ago

You Dipstick. Why do you think players leave there own club and go to another.....Most of the kids do not even play in the Div 1 teams they just want to be in a better environment and enjoy playing basketball again. It is better for this to happen then to lose them altogether to another sport. What would you prefer?

Reply #23871 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

The problem is, you guys are claiming credit for someone else's hard work. I have no problem with your recruiting from other clubs  people move for various reasons. Just be open about it. Looking back a year or so  I do not remember you having great 16 programme.

Reply #23872 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Realist, when have you seen anyone from Forestville get on here and claim credit, like you are claiming. I think you are just having a hard time accepting that Forestville are now among the elite clubs in SA.

Reply #23874 | Report this post

On the outer  
Years ago

Realist, Forestville's Under 16 boys lost the GF to Jordan Dodman and co. two years ago. As for the girls look at the Forestville girls program as a whole. Their results are improving across the board to those of two years ago. That should be the aim of EVERY basketball club.

Ok Ok. We've all seen this conversation before. All the big clubs of the time Sturt, North, Norwood and now Forestville have been through this type of criticism.

The only club that haven't faced this is Noarlunga City Tigers when they were the envy of everyone else. Like it or not, people want to win. Clubs taste a little success or employ people who are capable of creating success will obviously attract players and families wanting to play in successful teams. In the case of Sturt and Forestville, if you had a quick look at where the best junior coaches in this state are coaching you would find that the majority are at Sturt and Forestville. Some players/families hold good coaching in a higher regard then club loyalty.

On the other side of that many clubs make promises to players/families that they can't or don't follow through on. Should these families still stay at a club who behaves in such a way? Of course not. And where is someone like that going to go? Maybe to a club with better coaching, or a better coaching structure or better management structure. Surely it is no coincidence that Sturt and Forestville would be considered by most to have the best club managements at the current time also.

Yes it's frustrating to see a junior who has been with a club for a long time and had a lot of club people put tme and effort into developing move on BUT even if recruited in 99% of cases these people wouldn't move on if treated properly by the club of their origin. In the cases of the Forestville Under 18 boys and girls I do not know of ONE example where a happy player has moved to Forestville because they were recruited.

Reply #23875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does any one give the player credit for his improvement with all his hard work that the player does to improve? Must it always be about the club.

Reply #23876 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

This is great that you are not claiming credit for some one else's work and actually saying this here. It would be nice for other people that post here to do the same.
As for jealousy, no I am not jealous. It is fantastic to have many strong clubs in this state. It gives me no pleasure to rock up to the games and watch one sided affair. First of all it is boring and gives better teams no "battle" experience. We all suffered because this when facing Vics in the past. Hey welcome to the elite clubs club.

Reply #23877 | Report this post

Mr.Bean  
Years ago

Great point. Put in the hard yards and results will flow.

Reply #23879 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

As anon said, it is not always the coaches that make players better. As a coach it makes it easier to help achieve results when a player is prepared to do whatever it takes to become better. Also though, a coach can be the difference in which path a player takes, and at developing different aspects of their games untapped by previous coaches.

Reply #23880 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754