Spinner
Years ago

Do we need to replace Burston?

Just discussion....no hate mail please!!!

Burston so far has played 7 games for a total of 32 rebounds and 34 points - thats 4.5 rebounds and 4.8 points per game.

Yes, he missed a lot of pre-season and yes, he has had a lot of bad luck with injuries. That really is my point. How many of the close game losses could we have won with a healthy centre contributing just 10 and 10?

Do we let him write this season off to get healthy and find ourselves a good replacement? If that means letting Groves go also and getting an import, is that worth considering.....before the season is gone.

Topic #21773 | Report this topic

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

its worth considering, i mean im a big fan of Burston but we NEED a starting center

Reply #259833 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Replacing Burston with another tall, injury waivers perhaps, may then take some of the pressure off of Groves. Depends whether or not an Aussie tall is available of course. Perhaps a teaspoon of cement to about half of the team may also assist in toughening them up.

Reply #259856 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

you guys can have Sam Harris if you like :)

Reply #259858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn replace him just yet and wouldnt be much available. Poor bastard is just so unlucky, just be healthy big fella at the business end!

Gr8 to c him take some pride in his team and its gr8test player last night when he stepped in at the end to have a couple of words with Hodge.. i think some of those sixers players need to harden up sometimes and matty will add that upon his return.

Reply #259868 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

We have Cooper who is doing a good job, hes just never on the court, even when Burston was fit he played I think 12 mins in a game.
Ninnis is our problem, he could play Cooper but he wont despite his good numbers this year and his massive defensive presence...notice worthingtons lack of scoring while being defended for the few minutes Cooper had.

Reply #259882 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thanks Scud- you have restored my faith in sixer fans.

The point dif when Coops was on the court compared to when he sat was MASSIVE.

Blind freddy could see that. We were down 13-4 when he came out, up 25 20 when he sat. Holmes did all he could, played great D on wortho but he still hit the big shots. Coops extended further coz of his length and wortho and others missed so many attempts when coops was there.

Also, not enough guys in offence doing the little things, like the way coops sets awesome picks and he moves the ball to the open man lightning quick.

Starters should be Coops and Balls, with Herb Groves and Gilly. Hill and Holmes still need to come off the pine. Ng too.

Reply #259920 | Report this post

tripod  
Years ago

Its very unlucky for Burston, but its at the point now where it has become unlucky for the fans...and they dont see it as anything more than a business decision that has to be made quick smart. This season isnt dead in the water....yet. Make a move sos, take the financial hit now sure, BUT the fans will show their appreciation, and the support will be there for this season and the 'new' nbl season next year. The potential is there now for this team to fall right away IMO.

Reply #259943 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I'd rather see Groves go than Burston, unlucky shouldnt be punished before bad form and lack of play is.

Reply #259965 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Skud - its not about punishment.......I thought that if we let Burston have the rest of this year off on a waiver and use Groves' import spot (and cash) to secure a good import centre, we would be better served than our current options.

No disrespect to Cooper, he playes a role and does a good job in bursts, but he is not a starting centre with an inside outside offensive game. A fit Burston would present that, but he is not fit and needs to get his body right.

Reply #259972 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I do feel sorry for Burston, he's had a shocking run. I would be tempted to put him on injury waivers, bring Garlepp into the ten, cut Groves and get an import big. Of course I have the luxury of being able to say this without actually having to pay for it. Cooper has done really well this year (actually, he's shoved quite a few of my preseason comments right up my arse), but he cannot play starter's minutes. I still can't help but think there is a better player out there than Molitor too. Ng and Herbert could probably pick up Groves' minutes anyway.

Reply #259980 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I think the Hodge fiasco hid a lot of facts on sat. and starting with the worst performance from refs for season by far.
We cannot do anything about that.
We lost another game we had in the bag, mainly down to too few being relied on and not right structure out there .
Simply there are 3 areas stopping us from winning consistently and from winning tough games.
1 -- No Brett Maher
2 -- With Burston out injured no real centre and team unbalanced trying to cover.
3 -- A under peforming import who has got nothing to offer most of game and under pressure goes missing on defence and ownership when needs points with some shocking shots and decisions if doing anything at all.
Possible solutions
Well Bretts not coming back so have do something to cover centre spot short or long term.
Mutley as Garlepp was on bench able to play obviously Scotty has not got faith in him yet as he wasnt used.
Guess firstly have to evaluate Burston injuries but have to have fingers crossed that will get some key minutes down the track sometime.
Apart from finance there can be no other reason why you would not replace Groves as he has totally lost it in all aspects of game and this is third or fourth year in a row now since played well.
Hodge shot and played like a wooly goat and still doubled Groves points etc.
If SOS cant afford to replace that I will accept as just pleased to have team to follow but please dont try to tell me this guy is worthy of a import position.
Adam and particular Jacob are working their butts off to make us as competitive as possible and Adam not the scoring machine we know playing that role.
A big import that can help us out there and play a variety of roles would add a lot to this group both with and without Burston playing.
If due to dollar restrictions no replacements can be made then if Burston missing then give Garlepp a go in that role . Least help Jacob on the boards and knows how to score if given opportunity.

Reply #259998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754