Isaac
Years ago

36ers confirm Clarke and Radford as coaches

Not a huge surprise to those reading Hoops or Boti's articles, but good news regardless:

The Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers are delighted to announce that Marty Clarke and Mark Radford have joined the Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers family.

Marty Clarke has taken up a 3 year role with the team following his 12 years at the AIS in Canberra with last 7 years being the head coach of the men's basketball program. Clarke has had a hands on role in coaching such Australian talent at international level as Andrew Bogut, Patrick Mills, Brad Newley and Joe Ingles.

This will be Clarke's first coaching role in the NBL and he is excited about the opportunity ahead " I look forward to the opportunity to grow the sport in South Australia and am excited about being involved with a club with such history as the 36ers."

Assisting Clarke will be fellow Tasmanian Mark Radford. Radford will join the 36ers after assisting the Perth Wildcats to the championship last season.

Clarke said of working with Radford “ I am excited about being alongside a hard working and successful coach, the fact that he is prepared to leave a championship team to be part of the renewal of the Adelaide 36ers is testament to his love of a challenge.”

Clarke and Radford will now set about speaking to existing 36ers and potential new players with a view to assembling an exciting team for the 2010/11 NBL season.

Topic #22606 | Report this topic

Omar Little  
Years ago

Great appointment, congratulations SOS

Reply #272087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Decent new face and the assistant from the current champions. A month back, I didn't think they'd be able to get it done, but happily surprised with the outcome.

Reply #272088 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Clarke is a great choice. Wish him and the 36ers all the best.

Reply #272093 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Flynn?

Reply #272102 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good work SOS! Now our coach can get on with rebuilding our team. Any word on whether Marty will talk to the media about his plans for the team in the next few days? I'd be interested to hear what his style and priorities are going to be.

Also, apologies if someone has posted this already, but was hiring Radford part of a package deal to get Clarke? Do they have a coaching link through the AIS/ Tasmania?

Reply #272103 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

The feeling of optimism has returned with this signing (now official).
Time to break the wooden spoon on the backside's of the rest of the teams in the league!

Reply #272112 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

now just so some muppets don;t just think i am being "negative" without reading why.... This is IMO a very very good appointment. I've seen Clarke in action a number of times and with the exception of that bizarre thing with the AIS team at Knox (?) he is one of our brightest young coaches... I think he will help with recruiting, have a good relationship with those in the boomers program etc.

Reply #272134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what thing at knox?

Reply #272152 | Report this post

BbAll fan  
Years ago

Will he stay on with boomers! I don't think he can with this being a huge roll for him your thoughts?

Reply #272160 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What happened to the Joyce signing, bball fan?

Reply #272163 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Clarks best asset is that he can only make it better lol. Good appointment look forward to seeing what he does with the team.

Reply #272164 | Report this post

BbAll fan  
Years ago

Got it wrong bad info my bad .but clark will resign from boomers for sure

Reply #272167 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goorj was head Boomers coach and NBL coach, Joyce and McLeod were assistant Boomers and NBL coach, Brown is Spurs assistant and NBL head coach, Clarke has been AUS U19 head coach and Boomers assistant coach (both winter seasons) so I imagine he will manage Adelaide and Boomers gigs ok.

Great to see a very competent coach get a pro gig. I am intrigued to see how well his structured style will go in the NBL.

Reply #272177 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Still need to get some quality players, doesn't matter who is pulling the strings.

Reply #272186 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

True good players are needed, but this is a huge positive first step.

Reply #272195 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Really exciting news! Good job to all involved. Exciting prospect that Clarke has connections to the most recent AIS and junior talent. Recruiting should be very interesting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Schensch back at Adelaide, even after being part of the championship winning team. Clarke may be one of the few coaches in Aus to be able to kick Ng and Hill's games to the next level as well, if he chooses to resign them. He also mentions Aaron Bruce in the paper. Interesting times!

Reply #272196 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great news.
Been talking to ex AIS people who rate him highly

Reply #272199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be good to get Bruce back. Clarke would teach him how to be an international style point guard, and if he is surrounded by shooters he could be very effective - as long as he doesnt expect $200K!

Reply #272200 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Would be good to get Bruce back, but I think his in-laws own like half of Texas and part of Arkansas.

Reply #272201 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Which means he can finish some unfinished business in the NBL knowing his financial future is secure??

Reply #272202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Schenscher/Burston
F Ballinger/ U21
F Import/Holmes
G Import/ Ng
G Bruce/Herbert

Don't think that's at all possible, but one can hope

Reply #272205 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

I like the idea of getting Schenscher and Bruce back.

Reply #272206 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Love AB7....get him back ! And Herbie is a must keep also !

Reply #272207 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

IS THIS REAL.. I HEARD THEY HAD MANY EXPERIENCED NBL GUYS AND I KNOW FOR SURE OF A FEW EXPERIENCED OVERSEAS GUY WHO ARE LOCKED IN WITH PLAYERS.. THIS GUY SAYS HE COACHED BOGUT AND OTHERS? WHERE? IN SOME CAMP.. THIS IS SAD.. WHO IS MAKING THE DECISIONS THERE..

Reply #272208 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

OBVIOUSLY THE TEAM HAS THEIR OFFICE STAFF POSTING IN THIS THING.. SOMEONE DID SOMEONE A FAVOR.. HOPE IT PAYS OFF..

Reply #272209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uh Luke. He coached Bogut, Mills, Jawai, Newley etc as head coach of the AIS and Australian junior teams. If you're going to post either do some research or get a clue.

Reply #272211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke, Marty is a very good coach. He has coached many of our boomers at the AIS and this is not a tin pot place. If you have nothing positive to say , butt out.

Reply #272212 | Report this post

Goorg  
Years ago

INgles tweeted that he thinks Clarke was a great choice as coach for Sixers

Reply #272215 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Luke being assistant coach for the Boomers some how does not count. They do have training camps before the World Championships and Olympics. So yes maybe he has coached Bogut and others in some camp but he has also coached them at international level and in the Australian Institute of Sport, our governments elite development programme. From here they may go one to the US college system or to other basketball leagues like Euro or NBL. Few of them under achieve after being through this programme.

Your extremely rude rant shows your complete lack of knowledge regarding the Australian basketball system.

And turn the caps of next time a/hat

Reply #272218 | Report this post

Luke clearly is challenged in many areas of life.

Reply #272220 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Congrats to Marty getting the job. the only thing that worried me in Boti's article was that Clarke said he see's potential in Brad Hill! i dont mean to start any debates about hill but personally what potential could he have seen? and can we please not refer to the one random game that hill had that was good. if you miss too many open layups i think that speaks for itself. definately looking forward to next season and regardless what clarke does he definately deserves a chance and i cant wait to see it.

Reply #272223 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Its best you not post while drunk Luke.

Reply #272232 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

SRT, I've actually seen a lot of Brad Hill looking good. 08/09 he looked really exciting, and poised to take this season by storm. This season though, he seemed to try to take a little bit too much on himself, and I'll agree, really didn't shine.

I think with some good development though, he could turn into a damn solid player. Good thing we have one of the best development coaches going around at the helm.

Reply #272242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont understand adelaides obsession with Schenscher. why would you want a 7footer who can't make open hook shots or put backs. he isn't even in my top 5. we all know how much influence he had in perth's title run.

Reply #272249 | Report this post

Agree - forget about Schenscher . Time to move on

Reply #272252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plenty of alternatives for number 5 position

Reply #272253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher just didn't fit in at Perth. What did he average with us the year before 17 & 10? Come on, one season in a system not designed whatsoever for him (he signed with them just before the season started) and some people would prefer Matt Burston? What did he average 10 & 6?

The guy injures himself in his sleep. How many injuries did Burston get this past season 4 or 5? Two years ago people were saying Schenscher had passed Chris Anstey as the dominant big man in the league.

Clarke knows his hoops and is a big fan of Schenscher so I'd be very surprised if the Sixers don't try to upgrade on Burston, honest trier he is though.

Reply #272255 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

In fairness to Burston, Schenscher also averaged 10 and 6 on the season. However, I fail to see where anon 249's hate is coming from. Perhaps he does not make top 5 but 10pts, 6rbds, 1 ast and 1 blk is hardly an insignificant contribution. As for missing put backs and hook shots, Luke's FG% on the regular season was 53.7%, good enough for fourth in the league.

I would argue that Schenscher's aquisition by Perth was actually a very significant move, made all the more important by Rogers early exit to the season through injury. Hypothetically, if Schenscher has signed for the Sixers rather than Perth, would that have been the difference in some of the close losses or wins?

If Perth had won two fewer games and Adelaide had won two more, Perth would have finished equal fourth with the Breakers and may have even missed the playoffs altogether on percentage. Adelaide would have finished sixth, ahead of Cairns and Melbourne, and only three wins out of the playoffs instead of six wins shy and dead last.

Reply #272258 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Gazza you do make a good point which is also why i didnt jump into bagging hill as i deep down hold hope that with the right coach hill can come good. But if hill has a similar season again to the one he just had he would need to go in my mind. Very glad to hear he sees alot of potential in darren. Darrens talent stood out from a long way it would be stupid to let him go.

All in all i cant wait for the next season it will be great to see what marty can do.

Reply #272271 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Schenscher 10, Holmes 8, Burston 7. - Are keen to play in ADL. But I'd guess ya can't have all 3 on the one team - You'd have to decide.

Reply #272283 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Hey Camel, just wondering is that 100% fact that the Schensch is keen to play back in adelaide? or are you saying if he did want to we cant pick all of them? personally im Schenscher fan and it would be cool for him to come back but i agree holmes burston and schensch would all be fighting for the lime light its too much, somethings gotta give. Burston had a very impressive season (injury aside). Does anyone know Marty's thoughts on the people he plans on keeping? i read in Boti's article that he saw potential in a number of players and keeping balls, but i didnt see a mention of burston so i personally thought this could be the start of Burston being let go, can anyone provide any more info or thoughts?

Reply #272284 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

All from last season are keen to go around again.
Of those Ballinger Burston Herbert Ng were definate keepers.
Schenscher is here with genuine interest.

Reply #272290 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Is it possible that Schensch will be a 9 or 8 next season, given his numbers were solid but not allstar? Points are based solely on the previous season aren't they? Does someone with more knowledge in this area care to chime in?

Reply #272293 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think you could have all 3 in a rotation aslong as they are willing to accept playing around 20-25 mins each game, the other thing which would make it more difficult is if they sign say Ben Allen who is another C out of college, who marty clarke mentioned in his article the other day, id say if they signed him and wanted to give him some half decent minutes they would probably have to let Burstons go.

Could they run a rotation of:

C Schenscher 22 mins/Burston 10 mins/Allen (?U23)8 mins
PF Ballinger 28 mins/Burston 12 mins
SF Homes 20 mins/Import SG/SF 20 mins
SG Import SG/SF 10 mins/Herbert 15 mins/Ng 15 mins
PG Import 20 mins/Bruce 20 mins

If they were willing to accept that kind of role then i would be happy to have all of those guys aslong as they also dont take up too much points cap space.

my guess is that would put them over the 70 points, so i would guess they would probably have to let Burston go or get a lesser back up PG than Bruce, possiblt Burdon or Hill who would only be 1s or 2s id assume could take that last spot with either the import SG/SF or Ng or Herbert spelling the PG for 5 mins a half.

Will be a interesting off season, cant wait to see what clarke puts together

Reply #272294 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Oops, ignore me. Seems the point rankings have just been released and Schensch is a 10 after all.
Perhaps they could appeal?

Reply #272308 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

Points are up
http://hosting2.sportingpulse.com/www.nbl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Player_Points_Rankings_-_following_appeals_18_march_1020.pdf

Reply #272310 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

$1M cap - 2imports Balls Schensch Bursto - we'd be over

Reply #272313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754