tell me no !
Years ago

State champs: 2 or 3 grades?

is there going to be 2 or 3 grades this year for junior state champs - I know the Div 3s loved the chance to participate.

last year we were told that is the way it is going to be from now on - so we have filled our 3rd teams and parents with the idea of playing state champs

does anyone know for certain - or BASA if you are still thinking - go with the 3 grades - it was great !

I know it is a big weekend - but get organized and let's do it again!

Topic #2282 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

There will be Div 1 2 and 3. No under 10s.

Reply #25856 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Actually I have the reverse opinion. I think it is stupid having three grades. Keep it to two divisions - we don't have enough good refs as it is!

Why do we even bother with two grades? What is the point?

Reply #25900 | Report this post

keen as  
Years ago

it is all about participation and developing basketball - go with 3 grades for sure

it is club championships - let the div 3s play - they are part of a club - many clubs go to div 4 at times - means the majority get a session

Reply #26129 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

All the teams participate every week! This is state championships, not state participationships!

I don't see how this develops basketball. Would someone care to enlighten me?

Reply #26138 | Report this post

keen as  
Years ago

you are obviously a div 1 or 2 person - thanks for thinking of the majority of juniors in SA

Reply #26140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pegs,
I want to clarify up front that my child plays Div 1 so it can't be said my view is tainted by where my child plays.

I am all for playing down to Div 3. Junior basketball is not just about learning and playing basketball at the highest level. It is about participation, about being and feeling you are part of a club, it is about dealing with conflicts and challenges. This level of participation and challenges may be different depending on what level you play but to the individual it is still important to them. Let them learn more, let them have the opportunity to experience the highs and lows of sport. It will make them all the better for it.

Otherwise why waste our time with all the levels in week to week competition.

Reply #26145 | Report this post

Bob Huggins  
Years ago

I'm all for 3 div's in State Championships. However I think that some people here have a poor understadning of what State Championships are. The div 2 and div 3 teams play for the reserves title and the reason BASA have them play each week is to make money. Not to develop thier talent. The reason I support 3 divisons is that some clubs have 2 div 2 teams and it would be unfair to allow only 1 of these teams to play while stopping the other. That said it is the same clubs that won't allow 2 teams from the same club to play in div 1, that will probable dont want other clubs having 2 teams in div 2.

Reply #26147 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Thanks for the comments,

I also want to clarify that I have spent the majority of my time coaching lower than div 1 and 2 and also played for the majority of my time lower than div 1 and 2. Jumping to conclusions all the time will only get you fit...

I believe the State champs are for the elite. If you want to experience the excitment, highs and lows etc of carnival play, then support the Mildura or Centrals or St Clair or Millicent or Whyalla or Ballarat or Barossa Carnivals (I think you get the picture that there are plenty out there).

With respect to the comment about BASA only out to make money on the week to week games - I would have said the same for allowing div 3 in the State Champs! Funny how we come to different conclusions from the same information...

To be blunt, all I have seen is comments on fairness and participation, not about developing elite basketball.

Fire away - I am still waiting to be enlightened (or sunk)

Reply #26165 | Report this post

eagle eye  
Years ago

only have div 1 then - and some of the weaker clubs have bad div 1 teams - and some div 2s would be beat them.

so if it's for the elite - let's keep it for the elite

Reply #26173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the main reasons for the introduction of the 3rd level is enable country teams to participate.
Since more and more metro clubs are getting on the country player wagon, country teams are going to struggle in the 1/2 comp. Remember it is the STATE Champs not the ADELAIDE Champs

Reply #27194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 pm, Thu 9 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754