Foul Line
Years ago

Ref's at State Champs

Went to Various stadiums over this weekend and i must say the standard of Umpiring from the Victorians was excellent Particularly the young lad who was at Port Adelaide all weekend. There position on court to make the correct decisons was the best i have seen at Junior level and they are dont take too much crap from benches and Parents either. Would like some of our Ref's take a leaf out of there book.If they (the Vic's)run clinics get our Ref's to attend. I think the People who mentor our Ref's at all stadiums turn a blind eye and dont give a shit to poor performance from game to game. I know they are on a hiding to nothing and will find it difficult to find some one they have pleased. But seriously its not the Ref if the bloke in charge got up between quarters and gave them some guideance and let them know right from wrong things will improve. This is not all ref's but a great majority of them. Well done the Vic's please come back soon. Please get out to Pasadena as then i will know you wont be intimidated by the bench !

Topic #22988 | Report this topic

Outsider  
Years ago

You have to realize that victoria has several hundred, if not thousand referees to choose from, we have 150 if were lucky.

The lot that came over are all chosen because they are easily good enough, we are seeing a high level bunch of victorians verse some referees here without the experience.

Whilst i agree that the victorian referees are not bad, it is just not entirely accurate to compare the few referees that came over to the general lot of south Australian referees.

I remember hearing a comment during the easter tournament this year when a victorian came over and actually commented to two SA refs that he preferred their style of refereeing to the style in victoria.

It is a case of each to your own opinion, the referees that came over were good, no doubt about that.

I do agree however that the court supervisors do need to do more in terms of coaching during games, saying that there are not enough referee coaches out there to help out, so it is hard for both parties really.

Reply #277575 | Report this post

www.com  
Years ago

The vic refs are definitely better then sa's. The understanding of the game the vic refs have is far better than sa's they know what they are calling and most importnantly listen to what you say unlike some refs in sa.

Reply #277580 | Report this post

Gravity Man  
Years ago

Vic Refs are good...why they are better paid per game
whereas adelaide refs are paid peanuts!!!!thats the difference....simple to say.

Reply #277586 | Report this post

Young Smart Arse  
Years ago

May i point out that the Victorian referees were the best of Vic's state and the majority of ones here in Adelaide were still all learning and not nearly as experienced as the Victorian referees.

I agree with Outsider, as we barely have enough referees to put two on a game at every stadium. We have lost most of our older and younger referees to those "know it all" coaches and spectators that have driven them away with the constant shit we have to put up with.

I am a coach, a referee and a player and there is a much better way to approach a referee than screaming from the sideline "FOUL/TRAVEL/3 SECONDS" and then getting all hyped up when the ref gives you an answer you don't agree with,then, when you continue ranting has decided you have gone too far and gives you a tech foul.

What I love is when you have two young referees put on a game and you get coaches screaming and yelling at us non-stop every time we call or not call something.
How we are EXPECTED to learn and advance when we are meant to be like superman/woman and see everything at once, young refs WILL make mistakes, send your team manager for the UIC, that is who we will learn from, take a step back and let us learn!!!!!!

How many coaches/spectators have even picked up a rule book especially the latest one with changes to "3 seconds, charge, cross back and hand checking?"

Coaches-coach your players to play to the referees whistle.
Spectators-cheer and encourage your team, do not bag the other team OR the Ref.

I have yet to see a game, District, Social or National where a referee has changed their decision based on the whining/screaming from the coaches bench or sideline.

Get over it, move on

That is my whinge thank you for listening.

Reply #277592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good comments and i must ammitted i was one who a couple of weeks ago was yelling out about the 3 sec rule, until someone explained the new rule to me.

At the end of the day all i wish for is the umpire supervisor to actually watch the games and instructed umpires between games of any issues that may have arisen from there games before they make the same mistakes in the next game. Generally most of these are Kids and require guidance.

Reply #277654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umps were okay. The three sec rule still is not an effective rule and allows the attacking team too much latitude.

Reply #277657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754