LC
Years ago

Gems & Emus secure berth at 2011 World Champs

Australia's U19 women's and men's teams secured their places at the 2011 World Championships after sweeping their series against New Zealand 3-0.

Basketball Australia link: http://linky.com.au/uz11x

Here is a summary of the results:

Gems
Game 1: 76-58 (Harrington 14, Cole 12, Seekamp & Allen 11, Bunton 13 reb)
Game 2: 79-66 (Cole 17, Garrick 16, Allen 14, Payne 11)
Game 3: 80-64 (Cole 16, Payne 11)

Emus
Game 1: 109-82 (Creek 27 & 13, Greenwood 17, Hadziomerovic 15, Drmic 13, McCarron 11)
Game 2: 107-51 (Greenwood 20, Creek 17, Drmic & Trist 13, McCarron & Aldridge 11)
Game 3: 94-46 (Hadziomerovic 13, Greenwood 11, Odigie 12)

Topic #23849 | Report this topic

Yeti  
Years ago

LC, I like the way you stay tuned to the full BA spectrum, nice work, keep it up.

Of interest for me is the differences between the genders and how this may be starting to showing up in FIBA rankings. The Emu's shellacked the Kiwis with one of the smallest teams to ever put on the Green n' Gold. Great kudos to the coaching staff, but also the kids, such as Greenwood, Creek and Drmic. Not only getting 50 point wins but a great spread of minutes in that.

The girls results may be an indicator of more concern. That or the Kiwis are better than we thought. I look at these results, yes good we get 3 wins, and say is this why we are under-performing in the latest FIBA rankings. Yes, the Opals are top 2 but no mention of the girls (U17 through to U19) in the top 10 from FIBA: http://www.fiba.com/ranking, in fact you'll find them a lowly (in our lofty standards) 14th.

What's the secret, when the boys ranks are pillaged by football as equally as the girls are by netball. Is there something we should be doing now before the retirement of many 30 plus athletes at the London olympics, hopefully with a Gold Medal around their necks. Other's opinion pls?

Reply #289821 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks...I was thinking along similar lines to myself when I was looking at the results!

I don't think there will be any issues with the female player depth through t the 2012 Olympics, and for the 2014 WC's for that matter, however after that could our golden run (mainly silver) be nearing its end for the Opals? I just don't know.

Wenhave Liz Cambage breaking into the Opals squad and she could be around for another 10 or more years. Abby Bishop is there, and the likes of Alison Lacey is yet to break through from the WNBA to the Opals. We have Tippett coming through as well not to forget and a few very talented girls with the current junior crop around her - maybe not as deeply talented as before, but talebnted nonetheless. But we still have plenty of talent coming through to blend in with our more senior players. Intsead of a massive transition, the Opals may just 'evolve' over a number of years give or take a few players at a time and not lose much at all - if any.

Will we blessed to have so many 'superstar' women players like LJ, Penny and co we have had recently at the same time, I guess time will only tell. I still see a very bright future for the Opals, as with the guy's side of things, junior talent and success does not always translate to senior level success.

Although I love some of the boys talent coming through - Mitchell Creek should be kept an eye on as he could be absolutely anything!

Reply #289842 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Aldridge had a terrible series. Watching him on the weekend, I don't think he is as good as what he has been hyped up to be. I think he is a good PG in that he controls things, doesn't turn the ball over much and organises the O and D.
However, his shooting, playmaking ability and overall potential and versatility is lacking.
In the NZ series, he was 6.6 ppg..6/24 FG, 1/8 3point total.
His shot mechanics is relatively slow and he releases the ball from his chest almost. He will struggle against quicker US guards to get his shot off. Also, he lacks the size and vertical explosiveness to take it to the rack in the half-court set.

IMO, he isnt anywhere near the level of previous AIS PG's Cadee, Dellavedova and Mills.
Mitchell Creek however has amazing potential. Has freakish athleticism and now that he is developing his skill set, no league is out of sight.

Reply #289846 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting take on Aldridge...he has verbally committed to Butler as well for 2011!

Reply #289855 | Report this post

just home  
Years ago

it will be interesting to see if butler can repeat their 2010 achievements and get up there

Reply #289861 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Just sounds like Aldrige had a bad series is all, from the stats I saw of his during the tourney they won in Germany and in the Seabl he was shooting pretty darn well.

I don't think he'd be going to Butler if he didnt have some potentional.

Reply #289872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow a win against the kiwis

Reply #289894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the girls ranked over in nz were rittled with injuries and sent no where near there best squad.. tippett and roberts missing... stonehouse and harrington both with serious injuries harrington top scorer in the first game then going down with a acl to her knee, and stonehouse having 8 points off the bench in the first half of the 1st before getting a knock on her back and doing an ankle.

dont forget most of these girls either won the u/17 championship or went to france and lost just one game in tournaments incl. teams like germany russia turkey and france i think the girls for there age are very proffessional and know whats required.

Reply #289896 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Australian Youth Basketball program is definitely one of the best in the world. I remember Bogut, Maric and Markovic in their champion team that kicked lots of ass. then it continued to succeeding years too

but for some reason that they couldnt bring that success to Mens basketball program.

Reply #289902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754