Flinders80
Years ago

Sixers Release Craig Winder

The 36ers have made the decision to release Craig Winder. The club thanks Craig for his outstanding efforts and contributions in his time here. The club will now look to bring in a suitable replacement at the point guard spot.

Post from facebook.

Topic #24437 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Wow that is a bit of a surprise I thought they would just persist with him for the remainder of the season. Good to see that the club being proactive and have intentions to want to make the playoffs this season.

This is great news for Carter as well who has been playing great and deserves a starting spot.

Reply #298161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah just read that on twitter. A little shocked but at the same time saw it coming. Though Boti's article was too much Winder bashing and less Creek positive as well. Where do we go from here? you would think they must have something in mind, Carter to the 1 and get a import 2 and move hill to bench or another big?

Reply #298164 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I find it quite odd to release him on one of his much better games. Not 1 foul and he actually took sensible shots.

Would have been worth the 1 more game after last night to see if the standard would maintain.

Reply #298165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Right decision I think. The team has almost always looked better with Carter running the show - 8 assists last night in 18 minutes!

Reply #298166 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Its an odd decision after a good game, if they dont get a high quality replacement its a poor decision

Reply #298167 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

Had to be done, will they look for an import and if so, point guard or big man..sounds like a pg, or will they look for an aussie replacement? sounds like winder is a top bloke, just not nbl standard as a point guard, good luck to him.

Reply #298169 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

He didnt play well lastnight. This decision has come about 2-3weeks too late. They have just had 2 weeks off, before lastnights game, shouldve been done after game up at the swamp. Couldve had a replacement all ready to go and 'gel' by now.

Reply #298171 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

he was too busy waving his fingers for a high screen rather than passing the ball. i woulnt say last night was a good game from him, the team looked better with the second 5 on the floor. Good move sixers, lets bring in someone with a penetrate and pass mentality. we dont even need a scorer if they can penetrate and get the ball to ng, balls and devries.

Reply #298172 | Report this post

Onion Man  
Years ago

Interesting timing with winder being cut ...
Just spotted j hodge , drinking the poison down the bay

Reply #298173 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps they played his replacement last night - Mitch Creek. Just a slight change of roles to the guards plus bring back Harris to back up the bigs. No additional cost, just a change of responsibility and roles to those already there. Still leaves them an option, similar to Perth to bring in a second import if required towardfs the end of the season.

Reply #298174 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Ushiro, if they do that ill be highly disappointed

Reply #298175 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

Saw Dr Ng with a black American, could he be the replacement or was it Charles Thomas who I thought it was from a distance.

Reply #298176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NG was meeting with Raheim Brown.

Reply #298177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Farley? :p

Reply #298178 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the third season in a row we have cut an import?

Is that an NBL record?

Reply #298179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timing was probably due to when the replacement could get here. They are getting another import.

Reply #298180 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

We should enquire to ee if Sean Marks if available once his short term NBA contract is up. If we have to go with a point guard please look at McKee.

Marks / DJ
Balls / Dowdell
Creek / Hill
DeVries / NG
Carter / Daly

Reply #298181 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Who did we cut last year?
Groves and Gilchrist were there all year weren't they?

Reply #298182 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

wishful thinking on my behalf....

Reply #298184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next Year 36ers should do like:

C Schenscher/Johnson
F Ballinger/Holmes
F Herbert/Dowdell
G Devries/Creek
G Farley/Carter

That's 70pts

Reply #298185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That aint happening.

Reply #298186 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Please sign farley, 1 more year!

Reply #298187 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Screw Farley.... Why the hell do we want at 35 year old guard??? Bugger that, a 35 year old Willie Farley isn't the 30 year old Willie Farley that people remember.

I'd rather see the kids get burn and further develop and finish last than give Farley some pension money...

Reply #298188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will still kick arse!!!!!!!!

Reply #298190 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

If holmes is there next season, id be surprised, all depends on what players are available but in a perfect world, he wouldnt be required. He can grab all the boards he wants, the guy cant shoot consistantly from ANY distance.

Reply #298191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Raheim Brown has got the GIG !!

Reply #298192 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

Brown does not have the gig. new point guard on the way.

Reply #298194 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Why would Brown get the gig??? The little I've seen of Brown he did looked pretty good, but I don't think he and Balls could coexist on the floor.

Reply #298196 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

sign Brown FFS, he is already in Adelaide and were overloaded with guards as is. Carter is more than capable of being the starting PG with DeVries filling in for him while he is resting.

Thank you Sixers for restoring my faith, I was starting to think it was last season all over again.

Reply #298197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time but better late than never. Would've been ideal to blood a new import in that week off but better than sticking with Winder all season like Groves last year to the point we're you're just hiding the guy on the bench.

Carter is a more than servicable PG just start him and hopefully get a bit of size in. Watching the Blaze last night they've done real well with Ira Clark but there wouldn't be too many of them out there at the right price so a big SF would do me. A Grizzard type that can shake things up a bit to complement our more vanilla/robotic players.

Reply #298199 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was starting Winder DeVries Hill Holmes Ballinger
every game and ' Ballinger gets double teamed , the other team has a coach. '
Not much we can do - that made me think it would roll on like that for a whole lot longer.

But, Ben Fitz did tell nine news that another junior
(like Creek) is a possibility as that's where Clarke has knowledge/contacts.

Reply #298201 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Fizzle, I agree with you but how do you know if its just the publicizing of his release that has come now but the club may have already made moves to look for a replacement. I can't imagine this decision has just come out of the blue without also considering alternatives in the meantime.

Reply #298202 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Yeah im sure they wouldve been lookin around and researching other players. Thing is, either way they are going to be without a replacement for a little while, i say may aswell have cut him 2 weeks ago, and had the remainder of the squad come together. But whats done is done, time to get aggressive with the pockets SOS and get the right man for the job. Id almost consider biting the bullet and cut Devries aswell, and go for one main offensive threat!

Reply #298203 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Well done SOS the guy was a poor fit and nothing like a PG we require .
This team has got some ability with Creek coming on board along with Johnson and Dowdell has been a surprise extra.
Lets get some one who wants to do team stuff

Reply #298204 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Creek good, not confident shooter.....why not give Daly a go??

Reply #298205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think there might've been a replacement in mind but they got themselves injured so now the team has to find someone else.

Jake, Marks is not leaving the NBA any time soon.

Anon, Creek isn't a shooting guard, Dowdell isn't really a small forward, and Farley isn't a point guard.

Reply #298206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any names isaac?

Reply #298207 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

good luck to winder for the future. Seemed like a top bloke just a shame he didnt fit as we were hopin him to. Good luck mate.

Hopefully we get someone the fits the rest of the team really well

Reply #298211 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Maybe they should entice Jordan Page back from St Marys to play starting point for the 36ers. If he is not seeing much time in St Marys this change may be a good one. 2 Years ago I saw him tear up Delladova in the U20 National Championships GF. Maybe he could return.

Reply #298212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anywhere i can see creek's dunk from last night?

Reply #298213 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Page
DeVries
Creek
Balinger
DJ

That would be a high energy team with the experience of ballinger and devries

Reply #298214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Page couldnt carry an NBL point guards luggage! Maybe he could back up Carter and Devries for limited minutes. But the statement said a new import is coming in.

Reply #298215 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

Isaac, Ben Fitz been reading your D League emails?

Reply #298216 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Not suprising, he just didn't cut it in the end. I question whether we need a import PG regardless if another one is coming or not, Carter has been great and DeVries could be effective there as well. If the possibility of grabbing a young aussie PG came up then that would be adding to a very solid foundation for the future.

Reply #298217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Flinders: Page, Greenwood, Dellavedova, etc. Could be worth a shot.

Reply #298220 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Well done SOS in making this decision. I may be wrong but I can't see too many posts on here today from those who were saying keep the guy. Are you all still there? And as for hin playing a good game last night, you are kidding surely. Every time he came onto court we would go backwards.
Let's just hope now we get a good one to replace him. Having said that, the young guys last night were great.

Reply #298223 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The release actually says a short list of point guards is being considered, not necessarily an import. While Jordy Page mightnt be an NBL starter yet, he could still contribute and may turn out to be quite a good starter in a few years.

I actually think he is more of a scoring guard than a point, but could certainly work well with Carter. He is surely not enjoying sitting on the bench at a level he knows he could play well at.

Am I right in saying Greenwood hasnt made a decision for next year? That would make him a very possible option.

Carter, Johnson, Hill, Creek, Dowdell and Page/Greenwood, certainly a great group of young talent, with the possibility of Harris coming in as a back up if Clarke can get the mobility improvements he's after. Next season:

Johnson, Ballinger, import 3-4, import, Carter
Dowdell, Holmes, Creek, Hill, Page/Greenwood

Reply #298224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im pretty sure i heard hugh greenwood will play at new mexico

Reply #298227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

found it on ozhoops

Reply #298228 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Isaac are you able to name the guy that got injured that they were looking at? so we can sorta get a feel for the type of player they are looking at and if they will be an improvement from Winder

Best of luck to Winder for the rest of his career, just wasnt the right fit for the team, he probably would be ok as a SG/SF in the NBL, but not the PG the sixers needed.

Here's hoping we can unearth the next Mee as an import or id be happy with them going with a promising young Aussie PG to split the minutes with Carter and develop for the future. Im liking the core of young Aussies we have in this team, if we can retain them all (the ones we want anyway) for the next 3-5 years i can definatly see us regularly returning to the playoffs very soon.

Reply #298232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No name, sorry.

Reply #298241 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anyone got Darnell's number? Is Ricky Grace busy?

Reply #298242 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Darnell Hinson is on the radar..

Reply #298247 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

For those savvy poindexters out there, you would have been watching the body language between him and the team and then him and the coaching staff.

I think "not the right team fit" is probably the best comment. Pretty well summed it up.

Good luck for the rest of his career.

Reply #298249 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Darnell Hinson would be good IMO, can play the PG and SG, which means Carter can still play his 20-25 mins and Hinson can play the rest at PG and back up DeVries at SG.

Im pretty sure Hinson played with DeVries at West Sydney aswell and those 2 seemed to do well, so could be good for team chemistry if we pick up Hinson.

Reply #298251 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, and same body language last year with Gilchrist.

Reply #298252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TR, you mention age re Farley and yet a 36 year Ira Clark is starting to dominate the league. a 38 yo Grant Hill doing great in the NBA. Maher played till 35, and Farley has a more durable body. At HSH he was in great shape and looked great so your age argument is crap. If the don't want him it is because he may not be the right fit for what they need, but the age thing is a silly comment (did I mention copeland and D-mac? oops i forgot).

Reply #298253 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Lets not get carried away with Ira Clark by the way. He's had a couple of good games but a couple of shockers as well. No to Farley. At 35 years old the proper place for him is the Australian Test team.

I must say I am surprised the pin was pulled on Winder. Not that he didn't deserve it, his performance was pathetic, but I am surprised that the club actually made the move. After watching his interactions with Clarke and his teammates, it makes me think it was as much about his personality as his performance.

I do remember thinking the Hinson/Devries backcourt in West Sydney was a good one, so I wouldn't be against that idea. Though it was only one game, Creek has given reason for fans to feel a sense of hope for the future, and if there is another one of him out there then I'd be perfectly happy to watch a young rebuilding team for the remainder of the season. Though I would say the jury is still very much out on Marty Clarke, he has gotten a few things right that not many would have seen (Jeff Dowdell being the best example).

Reply #298256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hinson would be great. just someone that can look after the ball really.

Reply #298257 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hinson is playing in Poland and doing very well (third in league in scoring) so I would be surprised if he were available.

Reply #298258 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Getting Farley would be a complete 180 degree turn for this squad and what they are trying to build. A championship in the next 3-5 years. Farley won't be around for that. They are building for the future, not trying to bring back the past. Let's see what Leon Trimmingham is doing..

Farley's game is completely different to D-Mac, Mee and how can you compare a 36 year old PF to a 35 year old SG who relies on athleticism. D-Mac and Mee didn't rely on athleticism to get the job done. Basketball IQ got it done for Mee and D-Mac which is something Farley lacks. Farley playing the point would be worse than Winder and Gilchrist combined.

Maher's game was never about athleticism otherwise he would of been punted from the league years before he retired. His shooting was outstanding, his leadership (both on an off the court) was outstanding and his basketball IQ was outstanding. You can't say the same for Farley who could turn into a chucker at the drop of a hat, take dumb shots, questionable basketball IQ and he wasn't a leader.

Farley was what he was, a high volume scorer that happened to be in the right place, right squad at the right time.

I don't want a 35 year old that relies on athleticism to get the job done. Give those minutes to Creek.

So what if Farley looked good as HSH. There wasn't exactly a huge talent level at the tournament. If Farley was really any good then someone would of picked him up. The Tigers hadn't filled their spots at that stage and the Kings two weeks later were re-introduced to the NBL. Not like both those teams currently have quality imports.

Copeland was sh*t towards the end and if you think different I suggest you take off your rose colored glasses.

Reply #298263 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Oh and just one more thing anon 298253, the players you mentioned outside of Grant Hill have one thing in common.

Mee, Maher, Copeland and D-Mac all finished their NBL careers as Australian's, not as imports (not including Maher). Your delusional if you think Clarke is dominating the league.

Mee, Copeland and D-Mac would of been out of the league (as imports) a few years before they officially retired if they didn't play as locals.

Farley as a import is garbage.

Your turn....

Reply #298267 | Report this post

Years ago

Problem solved, Memphis Grizzlies have released Acie Law. http://es.pn/fyd9zc

Reply #298269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bot sure I agree that d-Mac would have been out of the league. He was fantastic for the tigers and he led them to the championship in his final season.

Reply #298277 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

JT - Completely agree. I was mentioning that on Friday night, particularly the interaction with Holmes.

Barking instructions at your team is all well and good, but they need to respect you as a leader first.

Reply #298279 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

D-Mac was fantastic as an Australian for the Tigers (and that's the point for fail to see, all these players were Australians, not imports), but I doubt he would of got a spot on the roster if he was an import.

The Tigers imports around that time were Rashard Tucker, Dave Thomas, Sean Lampley and for a short time Martin Müürsepp. D-Mac was never an import with the Tigers.

As I said above, different players with different skills sets. D-Mac never relied on his athletic ability like Farley has too.

Reply #298280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know he wasn't an import but he was more valuable to the team than the imports.

Reply #298296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not Julius Hodge ? , New owners , New staff. time heals all wounds and no one can deny the fact that he would be fantastic in this line up with his sstyle of play. We WOULD be automatic title contenders. The only thing I can see may be a stumbling block is the owners forking out the coin but for the other stuff who cares as long as we win nothing else matters IMO.

Reply #298303 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"no one can deny the fact that he would be fantastic in this line up with his sstyle of play. We WOULD be automatic title contenders."

Hmm I can definitely deny that actually. Money wouldn't be a problem based on the rumours of his last contract.

Reply #298305 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Apart from the fact that Julius has never played on +500 team since leaving college.

Reply #298306 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

championship contender and Hodge should never be in the same sentence.........

Reply #298312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TR Farley still has athleticism and as I said, if he is not the right fit because they are developing a 3 year plan so be it. But you shouldn't ride off a player because they are 35. I mentioned some players that did well past that age and there have been plenty more. Regardless of what you say I think that Farley would have given more than Winder did! Ira will be one of the better imports in the league by the end of the season. By the way, are you saying that noone should ever sign a 35 yo import? I'm not trying to have a competition with you, but I believe certain types of bodies can go longer than others and Farley is one of them. (That does not mean the sixers should sign him)

Reply #298313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you really think the fans would accept him? so early after the distain he show for the club? I think you just go through the process and hope you get a winner in the end. Regardless of how much work you put in its still a bit of fluke work.

Reply #298314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twain mckee any1?

Reply #298317 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

Sundiata Gaines will be getting cut this week when Johnny Flynn comes back for Minny... Wishful thinking (given he is clearly an NBA point) but he'd a sweet pickup.

Cut-price will be the name of the game - does Darren Perry still lace up the Converses?

Reply #298323 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Anyone actually know where Tywain is? Google was no help. He could get all the speeding tickets he likes for all I care. Superstar.

Reply #298325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about that Pace guy that was thrown around last year or the year before that.

Reply #298335 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Tywain would definitely be a great fit and exactly what we would want.
He's quite young, so he'd fit with our 3 year plan.
He is as proven an import as we've seen.
He obviously can create his own shot and fill up the stat sheet while also creating for others.
Importantly, his team has been successful with him running the show.
There's really no major glaring weaknesses in his game that i can think of.
Sure he hasn't been a complete model citizen, but we're not talking about issues of Julius proportions. (Would there be immigration issues because of his driving offence/s?) Get him a driver if we need to.

Keep him for the 3 years, coupled with the shooting of DeVries (his percentages should rise with a better distributor), Carter's defense and ability, Johnson and Ballinger's offensive ability, Dowdell's hustle, Creek's development and whoever else we bring along for the ride and there's no reason why we wouldn't be knocking on the door for the championship.

I also don't mind the thought of Hinson as an experienced head running the team.

Reply #298343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

McKee already has a contract overseas and there would probably be immigration issues anyway. He is still on a good behaviour bond I think, and banned from driving, etc.

Reply #298346 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What was it you said earlier this week Skip? ;D

Guess I need a new guard for my team!

Reply #298351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think they would be looking closer to home than we think...would certainly go with Marty's plan and his thought process..

don't think for a sec that Creek will be the only AIS kid coming into the squad over the next 3 years..

Reply #298352 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Since it seems we are going for a PG, best options I have heard so far are McKee and Hinson. Greenwood could be an interesting choice, but is there any certainty he would be more ready to play than Daly?

Seems unlikely, but I would be quite happy if we ran with Carter at PG and went for an athletic SF who can finish at the rim. Then Hill could come off the bench and Mitch could perhaps play a bit of PF?

Reply #298353 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McKee is playing for Minsk in the VTB United League (Northern Europe, filled with Euroleague and Eurocup teams) and doing pretty well (15ppg @ 48% and 5apg), while Hinson is the third leading scorer in the Polish league (17ppg) playing for Azbud.

Wont be either of those unless something dramatic happens.

Reply #298356 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Something dramatic puh-lease! :D

Reply #298357 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

An update on John Gilchrist, if it hasn't been mentioned: He has his final exams in a week's time (he's gone back to college while injured) and will return to full training straight after that in the hope of getting a gig after xmas.

Probably a bit long to wait.

Reply #298372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign CJ Massingale from Knox Raiders. Kid is a proven scorer! Deserves an NBL gig with the import rubbish being served this year

Reply #298434 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

When are they looking to have a replacement ready to go? 1 week, 2 weeks?

Reply #298442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Clarke said today the Sixers next three games are at home and he'd like the new player to be integrated by then.

Reply #298459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Next three games after this week - their actual next game is in Wollongong.

Reply #298466 | Report this post

JA  
Years ago

what about pat beverly. was released by the heat in training camp. not a bad player dont think he has a team at the moment.

Reply #298472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beverley was playing for Olympiacos in Greece last season and would probably have been on about half an NBL team's salary cap.

Reply #298582 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Probably more...

Reply #298590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754