Coopz
Years ago

Sixers sign new import: Eddie Shannon

Sixers get their new import.

Shannon, 33, formerly of University of Florida and a past team-mate of retired Australian superstar Chris Anstey at Ural Great Perm in Russia, also has played in France, Italy and Greece.

story below:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/shannon-new-man-on-board-for-sixers/story-e6frecj3-1225966484162

Topic #24459 | Report this topic

Coopz  
Years ago

I assume this is him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82TG1vXEHA

Seems to have great hands, very quick and not afraid to dish. This could be exactly what everyone's been asking for.

I see a little Ty McKee in him actually...

Reply #298473 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

True PG,he will make people look good, i think Devries will improve now as well.

Reply #298475 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's that video embedded:

Reply #298476 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I was just about to post this exact thread...

If this is the case, I hope he provides a bit more steady PG play, hitting the cutters, finding the open man, and being more of a facilitator rather than a scorer.

Reply #298477 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Monday seems to be the day for posting all the NBL news on Adelaidenow.com.au

Reply #298479 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Thats him!!!

Reply #298480 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Definitely looks like an exciting passer-type. Can't wait to see him hit the floor.

I'm putting $50 on balls to top score in Shannon's first game.

Reply #298482 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With him being signed so early in the week you would have to think he is a chance for Friday. One problem is his clearance is from Greece I believe, and that organisation isnt known for its administrative speed! I am looking forward to seeing him play, have heard a lot about him.

Reply #298487 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

Good to see a new import signed so quickly, looking forward to seeing him play. Looks to run the ball pretty hard which will suit our team aswell, Run N Gun

Reply #298488 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Wow know they are highlights but he looks exactly what we need .
If anywhere as good as highlights then watch us put the wins on the board and climb into finals.

Reply #298490 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can put this guy in a very similar basket to Ira Clark - top level import in Europe who is getting on (33) but still has some game. Clark has been inconsistent but shows signs of being a very good player, cant wait to see how he goes.

Knows how to run an offence. If he turns out to be a keeper the Winder signing was a blessing - Shannon was in Greece to start the year and wasnt available.

Reply #298493 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, any chance you know if this was the sixers first preference? apart from the injured player which has not been known?

33 years old, atleast some experience will come from that. anyone concerned about him being 33? i know its not that old but in sport it can be considering some people have been saying farley at 35 is too old. i guess if you can stick with the best of them then there is no dramas.

Reply #298494 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure what to make of this! Amazing:

Shannon may be best known because he has been successful despite the fact he has played his entire career, essentially, with one eye. The West Palm Beach native had the last parts of his damaged right eye removed last September and was fitted with a prosthetic eye in September.
While playing with some of his seventh-grade friends, Eddie was unintentionally hit in the right eye with a rock, forever altering his vision. Following the accident, he underwent surgery to remove blood clots from his eye, and a year later, had a cataract removed. As an eighth grader, his vision began to blur, and he could only see shadows. Even with limited vision, Eddie went on to star for Cardinal Newman High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., which led him to be heavily recruited.

After accepting a scholarship from the University of Florida four years ago, Eddie has gone on to continually excel on the basketball court, although his vision has gotten progressively worse. This past summer, Eddie lost complete sight in his right eye and began experiencing severe discomfort. After consulting a doctor, he made the decision to have a certain type of surgery, known as an inviceration, which involves removing parts of his eye. Six weeks later, he was fitted with a cosmetic prosthesis that covers his damaged cornea.

This season, wearing protective eye goggles, having no vision in his right eye and experiencing little depth perception, the 5' 10' Shannon has continued in his role as a starting guard for the Gators. This year, Eddie has become is closing in on becoming the school's all-time leader in assists and steals, and has helped lead the Gators to a Top 25 ranking for the first time in four years and the school's first NCAA Tournament berth since 1995.

Reply #298497 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting signing. And even more interesting about his potential one-eye play???

Reply #298500 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One eyed? Should fit in well in Adelaide!

Reply #298501 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I don't see a problem with his age. Good PGs can get it done well into their 30s (DMac, Nash, Stockton), I also think his experience is a deliberate move by the coaching staff to balance out a relatively young squad. Looking forward to seeing him in action, Winder was always up against it being asked to play the steady point guard when he's naturally a scoring 2 guard.

Reply #298502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I went back to check his shooting stats to make sure the depth perception didn't impact that, but the numbers seem OK. 80% from FT, 35% from outside. Incredible, assuming it's the same Eddie Shannon from the Gators.

Reply #298504 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

wow thats amazing that he only has one eye. goes to show what you can do when your heart is in it. it would have taken serious adjusting for him to figure out where each player is on the court as its bloody hard to estimate distances with only one eye.

agreed billo, they definately got him for his experience. cant have a team of just young ones, you need some experience to guide the way. very good selection by the sixers

Reply #298505 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He looks very quick in that video and that's worked for the Hawks with Ervin. Hope this one's a winner.

Edit: Now confirmed:

Welcome to the 36ers Eddie Shannon

Also confirmed that one-eyed Eddie is our man. According to Chris Anstey, you'd never know it from watching him play.

He played at Florida with Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller.

Reply #298509 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Im spelling a joke about the clubs newest one-eyed 36ers fan coming...

Reply #298511 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Pretty handy stats page: http://en.basketball.doudiz.com/player-season/11828/432308.html

Good 3pt stroke by the look of it, he averaged about 2 threes a game at 36% in 08/09.

Reply #298512 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Way to ignore paul, Coopz. Hahaha.

Reply #298513 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

hahaha, my bad paul. didn't quite get it :-)

Reply #298515 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Good news for the club. Interesting back story too. Looking forward to seeing him fit in.

Reply #298517 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Okay, now it's time to think of a nickname for the new import...

Reply #298519 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I like the looks of him, if he is a good decision maker down the stretch and has the ability to control a game like Ubaka did against perth we will be a dangerous team.

Reply #298520 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

IMO Marty should take this roster change as an opportunity to start fresh with a revised rotation/starting lineup. DJ is still no Dwight Howard but has shown improved defence and aggression on the boards in the last few weeks and we don't have much to lose by throwing Tim Tam in for Hill:

D.Johnson(20), J.Dowdell(14), A.Ballinger(6)
A.Ballinger(24), J.Holmes(16)
M.Creek(21), Hill(12), T.DeVries(7)
T.DeVries(21), E.Shannon(11), D.Ng(8)
E.Shannon(19), R.Carter(21)

Reply #298523 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Watching the video he appears to have some jet and likes contact at the rim. The one thing I didn't see in that footage was a decent floater in the lane, but what do you expect from 2 mins of footage...

Reply #298525 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

He's 33 so can we assume he will be a 1 year rental?

Reply #298526 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Watching the video he appears to have some jet and likes contact at the rim."

Let's just hope he gets the Ervin/Ubaka treatment from the refs, rather than the Winder/Freeman treatment.

Reply #298530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks like a pretty solid PG in the video but let's hope he is solid defensively, because one of the sixer's biggest issues so far this year is that the opposition's point guard in almost every game has dominated us. Ervin, Gibson, Braswell, Ubaka and even Lisch to a certain extent haven't been contained at all. If we want to make the playoffs and compete with the best teams we need to be able to defend the elite point guards of the league.

Reply #298533 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree with your rotations and line up change x, that would make us a strong team IMO especially if Shannon is as good as say Ubaka

Reply #298540 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The Darryl Poole of the 36ers. Should be an interesting ride.

Reply #298547 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

def has a cool name, reminds me a bit of damon lowery!

Reply #298548 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Damon Lowery.......... It still pisses me off when someone brings his name up... flopping little &*^&er screwed us out of a 'ship....

Reply #298550 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

He looks like a great pass first guy, but he looks very small though.

Reply #298551 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think I like him already.

There's a few possible nicknames...

(refer Iron Maiden) Evil Eddie
Eddie the Eagle
Eddie Scissorhands
Eddie Everywhere
(Shannon's) Car Insurance

but the one I like....
Denzel (check out a piccy of him against Denzel Washington - he's a brother from another mother!)

Reply #298554 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Why does he need a gimmicky stupid nick name that 90% of the supporters wont care for?

Reply #298556 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

If he under performs we can always pull out the Eddie Murphy line from RAW:

EDDIE......what have you done for me lately?

Reply #298557 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think you wrong there Skud.. If players stick around then nicknames work. One year blow-ins don't really work as they don't build an identity. Outside of Balls and Ninja there hasn't been many players who have stuck around long enough.

Plus if nicknames weren't around, then Carfino wouldn't have any material for TV.

Not PC, but I was thinking Popeye......

Reply #298560 | Report this post

Cyclops

Reply #298563 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

After speaking with a colleague in America, Eddie is well known in Riviera Beach Florida. Apparently, a very fast mover of the ball, good in transition and defends well for size so should be good PG. Played with AEK Greece this year but never heard of him personally

Reply #298567 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Some Stats
EXPERIENCE
2009-2010: Apollon Limassol (Cyprus) and Aurora Basket Jesi (Italy - Legadue)
2008-2009: KK Split (Croatia)
2007-2008 Strasbourg IG Basket (France – LNB Pro A) 2006-2007: BK Ventspils (Latvia - LBL)
2005-2006: Polisportiva Dinamo Sassari (Italy - LegaDue)
2003-2005: Pallacesto Amatori Udine (Italy - LegA) 2002-2003: BC Ural Great Perm (Russia - MSLA)
2001-2002: Plannja Basket Lulea (Sweden) 1995-1999: University of Florida (USA - NCAA)
ACHIEVEMENTS
Ranked 2nd in scoring in the 2008-09 ABA Adriatic League, led the league in steals, was 3rd in assists, 5th in overall evaluation and 7th in drawn fouls Ranked 7th in assists in the 2007-08 French LNB Pro A League and was 12th in FT% Played the 2006-07 Latvian LBL League Playoff Finals Played the 2006-07 Baltic BBL League Final Four Ranked 13th in scoring in the 2006-07 Baltic BBL League, was 4th in assists, 5th in steals, 7th in FT% and 12th in 3-pts% Played the 2006-07 Baltic BBL League All Stars Game Ranked 7th in scoring in the 2005-06 Italian LegaDue League, was 2nd in assists, 4th in overall evaluation, 8th in minutes played, 4th in FT%, 6th in 2-Pts%, 6th in FG%, 9th in Drawn Fouls, 18th in 3-Pts% and 14th steals Ranked 6th in 2-Pts% in the 2004-05 Italian LegA League and was 13th in FG% Ranked 10th in assists in the 2003-04 Italian LegA League and was 17th in 2-Pts% Ranked 2nd in scoring the 2002-03 Russian MSLA League, was 1st in steals, 2nd in assists, 4th in 2-Pts% and 5th in FT% Named the 2001-02 Swedish SBL League Guard of the Year Named to the 2001-02 All-Swedish SBL League 1st Team Won the 2001-02 Swedish National Championship Selected at the 1999 USBL Draft by the Tampa Bay Windjammers Florida's all-time leader in steals (204) Ranks 10th (all-time) in the Southeastern Conference in steals (204). Ranks 2nd in Florida’s all-time assist chart with 493 and top 10 in 10 categories.

Reply #298570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like those rotations Xz, although I would reduce both imports to 25 and give a few extra to Hill, who is a young player that has taken a step forward this year and should be given the chance to keep improving.

I like the starting five too Xz, although Clark might be tempted to keep Johnson and Creek as impact players off the bench.

Reply #298574 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I would reduce both imports to 25 and give a few extra to Hill, who is a young player that has taken a step forward this year and should be given the chance to keep improving."

Has he really though? I think he's had a huge opportunity to take a step forward in the absence of Herbie but has disappointed me. I have no way of getting his numbers from last year but I'm pretty sure they weren't much lower than 7.5/2/1 at 40%. He's averaging 19 minutes a game as it is, I think it's only natural that that decreases with the inclusion of Creek. Maybe not all the way down to 12 I guess. It's probably too early to say Creek deserves those minutes more as well.

Btw, irrational Hill-haters, I am in no way on your side. Ever.

Reply #298577 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, I think his decision making is better and he is more reliable with his open jump shot. He just seems a calmer player (most of the time) and I think that was the biggest thing he needed to improve.

Reply #298588 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Trained with Eddie in Sweden whilst I was there. He can flat out play. Playmaker, and toughness is what he will bring!

Reply #298594 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Good friend of Coach Radford i hear, from Radfords days at Florida.

Reply #298599 | Report this post

A-Train  
Years ago

This boy can flat out play!!

Reply #298604 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

See how long before all of you turn on him like you have all done on the previous imports ... I think he is too old and would have liked to see another kid be put into the squad. According to the 6ers GM it is all luck when getting an import.

Reply #298606 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lloyd, thanks for the eyewitness report!

Reply #298607 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Well done by the Sixers securing a replacement so quickly, and for trying something different (we've had shocking luck lately with two-eyed imports!). Looking forward to seeing him in action Friday week.

Reply #298609 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol eyewitness report...

Reply #298611 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Steady Eddie. As he is coming in to steady the team and hopefully lead us to the finals.

Reply #298613 | Report this post

Stringer Bell  
Years ago

I'm sure Eddie 'The one-eye cannon' Gannon will be better than Winder - who was as useful as a glass eye.

The last two years Wollongong have played seemingly above expectations and the real change from the Cooks years was their point guard in Ty McKee who was arguably MVP before his injury. They then get the same type of player in Ervin and again he's probably MVP and Hawks are looking good.

Wait till next year when the league will have 6 super quick point guard's.
WWhen Mark Davis came into the league and dominated, the next year every team had to go get a beast Power Forward.

Reply #298616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope at last!
He can be a bust and I'll still be happy.
At least we're trying something.
It's the sitting around being content with being mediocre (at best) that annoys the crap out of me.

Reply #298618 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Btw, irrational Hill-haters, I am in no way on your side. Ever."

LOL Xztatik theres nothing irrational about not liking Hill. He has more errors than points, misses easy layups to frequently and for his age he has not progressed enough to earn a starting spot, or in my opinion a bench spot. Creek showed last week that at 18 he will possibly be a much better, smarter player within 1-2 years, which highlights that Hill has had plenty of time to develop but has achieved nothing but 1 game a year in which he performs. Remember Hill is older than Winder, but we expect less from him because he is...young go figure
Watch a teams offence, they goto the player being defended by Hill or Ng way to often.

Reply #298627 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

';', you make the obvious point.

Considering there has been a ruling of "no confidence" from Sixers fans about their imports for at least 5 years, I would suggest we don't oversensationalize Eddie until he actually plays some court time.

At least with the Creek debut, everyone was impressed but didn't jump to the "he's our next Mahersey" conclusion. Let's see how the first game goes and keep everything crossed he shows up and plays.

Reply #298633 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

When did I become tagged "anonymous'

Reply #298643 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

That's better.

Reply #298644 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Agree with Mr X re: Hill.

Hill has raw potential but needs to refine his current skill set.

I'm honestly hoping that with Creek in the team, Hill has someone tailored to his style of play to work with at training and essentially has someone to genuinely compete against.

Still honestly give Hill just the one more year here to show what he has got. He's just about to move into the "Prime" years for BBall.

Reply #298652 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I think ive said this before, but last season i was so adamant about sacking Brad Hill. I can swallow my pride and happy to say he has improved decently since Marty Clarke has been running the show. i think Ninnis was giving him too much to do or something as you dont see Hill making poor decisions as we saw last season. he has definitely earned his place on the team at his current level. alot of people need to ignore past seasons and focus on how this season has been for him and to be honest it hasnt been bad at all. im not saying he is a superstar but not worth sacking either.

Reply #298655 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I agree SRT that Hill has cut out a lot of the brain-explosion type mistakes from a year ago. He's been solid, without being spectacular, but I would agree his play has matured from a season ago.

Reply #298656 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Back on Eddie, do we know when he will be in Adelaide?

Reply #298660 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Big Sexy, according to Boti he will be in tomorrow. not sure if its morning or arvo.

and yeh good point, only on hoops can a thread about our new import come back to a 'sack hill' thread.

Reply #298668 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I Agree Brad Hill seems to have stepped up since last season, You go Girl!

Reply #298672 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Hell if he is in that sort of shape this guy has got serious game. He will make 36ers look like a new team.

Reply #298790 | Report this post

GREENMAC  
Years ago

Eddie looks great! Nearly all of 36ers success has revolved around experienced floor leadership. And no doubt, given the right oportunities, he'll make other players look good.

But I hope the organization does'nt just screw up their short-list of potentials and throw it away now that they have 'DangerMouse' (c'mon, one-eyed little superspy who always saves the day - work with me people) because I would say that DeVries is closer than 'on the brink' than most would think. And, injured or not, the 36ers are striving for success NOW. Not next season.

Sure, if Troy's healthy and hitting his outside Js, I think he and Eddie will compliment one another. But if he's not...how much longer do you leave it before you have to consider a more agressive and athletic scorer who also thrives at the defensive end?

Keep your short-list Adelaide. You may need it sooner than you think.

Reply #298852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:17 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754