Skud
Years ago

Carter officially on injury list, Bruce to play??

Thought this was different enough to warrant its own thread to the last one.

Its official Carter will be out for a while and the team is trying to get Bruce's paperwork rushed through so he can play the new years eve game.

http://www.nbl.com.au/36ers/news/news/article/2010/december/rhys-carter-placed-on-injury-waivers-1/

Pretty disapointing really, Carter was really hitting his strides and improving through out the season. I think we have gotten more out of him than was expected at the beginning of the season.

Will be interesting to see how Bruce goes if he suits up, long time out of the game to step straight into an NBL game.

Topic #24640 | Report this topic

Bake  
Years ago

I went to practice today and Bruce looked in pretty good nick for someone who hadn't player for eighteen months.

Reply #301927 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Sad news for Rhys but good opportunity for Aaron.

He comes into a system where he knows half the players at least, he knows the coach and presumably his system well, he knows the court, he only has to back up, and expectations are lower than previously.

Good on him on having a crack after the layoff, and making himself available at short notice. Boti reported in the paper that Aaron is now available due to a recent change in his personal circumstances, or something like that. And I know what that's like, so thanks for being here mate and helping out.

Reply #301931 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Watch Bruce train today. He moved and passed very well. His shooting was quite off though. I was only there for about 20 minutes though.

Reply #301943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would be spewing if you were Tom Daly, training fodder

Reply #301944 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Reckon he'll play.
Maybe minutes if Shannon has a good one.
If Shannon does a Gilchrist Groves..then Bruce will pass and move around very well, as skip said.
Thought that may have been skip going out , as I was going in..Later Cooper going in I think.. or Dench..
Bruce shot ok enough.. at a shoot around.. looked pretty tired at the end of training.. Still they all did.

Reply #301945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God i hope he is better than last time around. Was TO prone and poor decison maker IMO, had glimpses, but so does Brad Hill and jacob Holmes too!

Reply #301951 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

Carter gets injury waivers and De Vries gets the sack, wow dont be an injured american is the moral of this story.

Reply #301953 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Majok signed at a second's notice. Bruce signed at a second's notice. Strewth, I'm starting to like the NBL and from the looks of it, so are the players. They're all coming home!

Reply #301955 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yup. Pretty keen for tomorrow if I wasn't already.

Reply #301957 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

sounds great, pretty lucky Bruce is around and obviously has a good relationship with Clarke.

Do we have enough points to fit Bruce in as the 11th man on the roster and keep him for the season, and when everyone is fit, someone out of say Bruce, Hill, Ng or Holmes would have to miss out, would be a tough decision, but would make training very competitive.

Id try and sign him for 2 years (rest of this year and next) at the average 5th-6th man price and if he wants more $$ his playing has to earn it!

Gives us a pretty good Aussie core to build around, without imports we have, including Harris and Herbert

C Johnson/Dowdell/Harris
PF Ballinger/Holmes
SF Hill/Creek
SG Ng/Herbert
PG Bruce/Carter

Pick 8 of those guys plus 2 imports and any other ex AIS guys Clarke can grab and we have a good fairly young team going forward,

Reply #301960 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Jonno, I agree but ..... how many of those players would be selected in a Boomers team or even squad today? You can't stack your team with "good" players. You need a handful of great players, a few good, and a few role players. Get too many goods and you'll be struggling to balance court time, and you'll find many of the goods become just OKs and OKs just won't cut it in this league. Watch Wollongong as a case in point. Had the perfect balance to start the season but now Gruber and Martin are back, they'll have too many goods - and you can quote me on that.

Reply #301964 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Bang, you idot.

Reply #301965 | Report this post

bang  
Years ago

Elite , love to hear your theory on why i'm an idiot.

2 injured players hurt through over training, one given time to rest and recover, one sent home.

one and aussie and one an american, both playing well before they were injured.

Reply #301966 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

We wont have seen the last of DeVries if this coaching pair stay together...

Reply #301967 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Bang, check out the payroll, i think you will find carter is nowhere near as expensive to Devries, its very costly to have an import injured and not playing than it is to have someone coming off the bench. plus Devries numbers are nowhere near what they should be for the type of player he was where as carter is doing better than expected by far so i think what your saying is a little narrow minded.

Reply #301969 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

@bang plus one needs a single game off and the other needed 3 months off

Reply #301970 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

yoyo, I think you will find Carter is unlikely to play in the next few games.

Reply #301973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, agree Skip. The desciption of 'time to rehabilitate so it doesnt become a long term injury' suggests the length Carter will be out is unknown at this stage.

Reply #301978 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

according to the article in the paper today, to be put on injury waivers means you must miss either 4 games or 2 weeks.

Reply #301981 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Jonno, anyone who has played through the AIS program including SEABL comp would have a good reputation under Clarke. The AIS are formidable at producing talent, but once away from the camp, they dont get the opportunity to improve. More so, they only spend time shooting, chasing moves to improve their game time and in strength and conditioning.

The AIS incorporates all of this as Bruce has gone through but the camp is behind closed doors as clubs like the 36ers arent.

I hope Aaron does well tonight if playing, and provides something we havent seen. I probably live in hope but I reckon he has talent. Sharp Shooter on his night, and talent all around. Just its talent unearthed at present

Reply #301990 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

@ Bang - You really think carrying an import on injury wavers would be the same as carrying our backup point guard ?

Apples and Oranges dude.

Reply #302005 | Report this post

big dan  
Years ago

well l will.be very interested at the to in this game with both dumb and dumber playinjg in the same side .lets all take a poll BH 6 AB8 for a total of 14 great way to win games .give us a break

Reply #302010 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Bruce cleared to play.

Reply #302011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

big dan, Brad Hill is averaging 0.8 TPG which is well down on last year's 1.4 TPG and half of what he's averaged some seasons in the past. You watching the game through Skud*'s Brad Hill Goggles (TM)? (* Or whoever it was that counted 7 TO in one game while Brad only registered 1-2.)

He's 79th in the league which is pretty decent for someone getting regular minutes and who spends some time moving with the ball in his hands.

Reply #302018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL:

While player signings normally take a number of days to complete at minimum, Bruce's was able to be fast tracked as he hasn’t played competitive basketball anywhere since his last NBL season with Adelaide and therefore didn’t require the normal international clearances to return to his former team.

Reply #302020 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Best of luck AB7 !

Reply #302024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaron will do much better this time around, I think he has learnt a thing or two about himself and life ;)

I hope he goes well, he is a fantastic athlete and has worked bloody hard to get where he is.

Reply #302325 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754