wondering
Years ago

18 State teams

How are the 18 state teams looking so far. Both male & female and country & metro. Heard the 18 SA country girls are looking grim?!?! Do the country teams have any chance of beating the metro teams??

Topic #2528 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

as they are still large squads who would know

Reply #28426 | Report this post

schoolies  
Years ago

i dunno but the girls team manager is pretty cool.. haha

Reply #28438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahah go SUSIIEEEE!!!!

Reply #28446 | Report this post

guess who  
Years ago

Metro girls should be medal contenders. Although the squad is still quite big, there's a lot of talent to choose from (Mencel, Bishop, Martin, Newley, Francis....need i go on?)

Reply #28447 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

quess who - ummmm, Francis has been SA Country every year till now, unless she's moved, she would still be Country

Reply #28469 | Report this post

rainman  
Years ago

She has moved she is metro this year

Reply #28487 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Francis is now metro. Gold medal a real chance for this team.

Reply #28536 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Any Rockets players in the girls team?

Reply #28559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The girls are surely gold contenders. I'm finding it hard to trace back to a team that has looked more promising than this group. The previous state teams have always had talent in certain areas but this group has it all. With Francis and Bishop playing inside and the likes of Newley and Martin to play the 3/4's. The guards will by consistant as always.

Reply #28581 | Report this post

red 'n' white  
Years ago

Mansfield and Wright are two rockets who are still in the squad i believe. It looks as it Mansfield will be the little general out on court for the side!

Reply #28583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bishop was country as well..........whats the point of even sending a country team?? may as well just send one team and ditch country like WA did.

Reply #28610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bishop will be playing for the Gems I reckon so she is out of the State. But it still a Great side

Reply #28635 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yeah country team- isn't looking to flash. I wouldnt bother sending them either. (especially without francis or bishop- they now have no big players) Dunno how their point guards are looking? They don't have much talent at all- except young langford. They will get slaughtered. Good luck to the metro girls- looking very promising on paper.

Reply #28643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

alex duncan (fville), emma (sturt) langford, ashleigh gallio (fville), caitlyn crease (mavs), kym (norwood).... not sure who else theyve got but there a few that i can think of the top of my head.

sad to think that their gonna be missing 2 significant players

Reply #28668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any one think nicole romeo has a chance as a first year?

Reply #28680 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

from what ive heard the boys side is alot weaker then last year

Reply #28763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #28855 | Report this post

G love  
Years ago

yeh ur right 'the truth', they've got no absolute stand outs like ingles last yr, but they will be a good team and if they do well it will be similar to their port mac grand final effort where it was a total team effort, no stars

Reply #28872 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

In general terms and with NO inference regarding any players, I personally prefer a "Champion Team" which is hungry, trying at 200%, busting their all, never give in, and not sooks, down in the dumps or show ponies; and not a team of "champions" or "stars". Win, lose or draw, the team of fighters takes it to them!! Coach just has to make sure he picks the right players now for this physical AND mental game, as the latter as a weakness will be most fatal. By now I am sure a lot of players have most of the "ball" skills

Interesting to note that SA Metro Boys last won U18s in 1991, and lost GFs in 93, 95, 99 & 2003.

Reply #28876 | Report this post

who are in the running for 18 boys

Reply #28909 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

anon, try to at least sound a bit more encouraging! It's a fair opinion to hold that they might not be in the running to win the whole thing, but words like "slaughtered" aren't going to get their spirits up. Thanks.

Reply #29008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know what is happening with the girls metro and country teams??

Reply #34599 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

U18 Metro Men, from what I heard is...
Slaghekke
Molitor
Hemmings
Fildes
Brown
Whittelson
Blood
Kargans
Gemo
Harvey

Still stand by my post above of 09/04/05. Get hungry, fight & give 200%!!! GL to these and all other players representing Metro & Country at Nationals!!

Reply #34669 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Well done Gav mate, we all new ya would do it! do the yaself proud and everyone at the club is behind ya all the way man. congrats to all the other bloke that made the team aswell.

Reply #34672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boys pool

Teams U/18 Men Pool A
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales Country
New Zealand
Queensland North
South Australia Metro
Victoria Metro
Western Australia Country

Reply #34673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dear lord must be a record! there must be atleast 2 people in that state team that can pass a ball! maybe we might finish a little higher this year!

Reply #34679 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

does anybody no metro u18 girls side yet?

Reply #34681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd reckon the coach might!

Reply #34682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sam hemmings sam harding and harri harvey?

goodness.... why dont the div 2s try out?

Reply #34686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sam harding??

Reply #35305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not sam harding its chief i think ....

his 1st name is sam also

Reply #35314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hemmings and Chief over Zac Johnson?

Reply #35345 | Report this post

Years ago

theres been rumours that sam hemmings is also a starter!

Reply #35376 | Report this post

badger  
Years ago

Good, that way atleast we can be sure that someone in the starting 5 will actually play defense and pass the ball!!

Reply #35397 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

"sam hemmings sam harding and harri harvey?

goodness.... why dont the div 2s try out?"

LOL! That is one of the funniest statements ive heard! Because its so true!!!!!!!!!!!
Go S.A!!!!!!!

Reply #35409 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

Who is in?

What will the teams be like this year??

Reply #35425 | Report this post

frankfurt  
Years ago

i am not sure what the uproar is about....harvey and hemmings are both worthwhile candidates in my opinion, both have the game that can do well at that level. i cannot comment on harding as i have not seen him play.
there are always going to be people upset by the tough decisions, but good on you SA coaches, you have done well.

Reply #35450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion i think they are saying this out of pure jealousy

Reply #35472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone confirm all the SA teams? it could be next year before BASA post them.

Reply #35498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country Teams are listed

http://sacbc.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=10618&orgID=52&Oname=SACBC&O1c=6&O10c=12

Reply #35500 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

wot about metro and who in the group can play??

Reply #35508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18Gs
Gee
Mansfield
Romeo
Francis
McPhail
Martin
Newley
Kaminski
Mencel
and Jamie-lee for Bishop
(5 bottom agers!)

Reply #35514 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Naming these players is OK, but please no commentary on their ability or who should/shouldn't have made the team.

Thank you.

Reply #35516 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Looks a damm good team and goodluck to the girls

Reply #35522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Idiot. Read the request (#35516) two posts up.)

Reply #35530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there r 6 bottom ages actually

Reply #35572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah anonymous is right - there are actually 6.

jamie-lee,jess mcphail,alice gee,lauren mansfield, nicole romeo, cayla francis.

bloody awesome team....
+ goodluck to abby with GEMS

Reply #35576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people that knock down guys that make STATE teams are purely JELOUS

Reply #35582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Teresa Kinross? did she get cut ?

Reply #35602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes. She made the squad of 15 but im guessing she is only a reserve!?

Reply #35633 | Report this post

how deep did big steve go he's a workhorse on the boards

Reply #35862 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

'people that knock down guys that make STATE teams are purely JELOUS'

If i dont play u18s div 1 and didnt try out for state how could i be jealous.

And dear lord Wernham missing out!!!!!
Omg i wish i could fly over there to watch him rip up SA.

Finally! a big man who has a guards ability and brain, an awesome all round shot, someone who PASSES it to you when hes in the post...... and SA doesnt choose him!!!!

All i can say is if SA want to do any better then last every year how about CHANGING the 'successful tactic' they have been working with the last few years, which is:
"20 points a game or 15 rebounds and your in the state team"

How about someone who can pass a ball for maybe 1 of the spots if thats not asking too much?

Reply #36139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is Wernham?!?

Reply #36146 | Report this post

round ball  
Years ago

statue of liberty you really have no idea do you.

Reply #36156 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

ill wait for the boys to prove me wrong
All i can say is there is a huge group of people that all think the same thing.

Reply #36516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha reading all these are hell funny :) both teams kik ass n go all da first yrs... :)

Reply #38600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hello, molitor is a gun, he may have attitude problems, but seriously statue of liberty have u ever played bball. everyone wants to score 20, and u should let a player like molitor loose so he can dominate these championships, im positve he could do it. the person im worried about is good old phil brown, he needs to pass it more, cos hes a solid player that i would love in my team, but hes not suppose to be the star.

Reply #38635 | Report this post

amen!  
Years ago

anonymous, do you realise SA has always been a team of individualism. Our selection process of 'if he can score 20 points hes in' just isn't working for us, nor has for years. There is some ridiculous selections in the state team and there is most years.

'molitor is a gun, he may have attitude problems, but seriously statue of liberty have u ever played bball'

ok... molitor is a gun. Do you realise that there are going to be 5 players on the court from the opposition that are probably better then molitor?
Vic might be just a little bit better then SA.
Ive played against molitor so many times, and i believe along with many others that its a waste to have him outside shooting all the time when he is the biggest bloke on the court. With the skill and heart of the guards from vic, when molitor tries a move for a jump shot he will be stolen off everytime.

But its ok we have other guys able to dominate our boards... such as rhino who is low 6 foot, as aposed to dandenong for instance with a 7 foot guy. I mean its ridiculous saying were going to be fine coz we got molitor!

Reply #39295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i never said ud be fine with molitor. i said hed go good, not the team. and he will be. whats good about his game is that he can play both inside and out. very hard to match up on. if a guard is put on him he will have the wits to post him up. vice versa.

Reply #39319 | Report this post

millicent magic  
Years ago

ash gallio ur the best player ever go 4 it no madder wot any1 says ur a gun!!!!!

kate butler u should return 2 the ville

Reply #40694 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I think that kate butler is coming to adelaide nxt year and is looking for a new club- or maybe she is going to forestville. I'm sure i heard that rumour going around.

Reply #41058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

amen there is no one that is able to fully contain molitor and there is aboout 4-5 big men in the whole comp alone better than him. Whats ur problem with his shooting from outside? IF IT GOES IN, THERE IS NO PROBLEM. His attitude is poor cause he expects to be playing with his all aussie buddys who r as gun as him so he doesn't have to work for the ball. That is unrealalistic of him and he should stop being lazy and make some good leads and cuts but he is the backbone of SAM and he outside shooting will keep them in a lot of games

Reply #41068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754