Anonymous
Years ago

Disgraceful - Corletto dumped for Mills

According to Daniel Eade, the Tigers have let Corletto go in order to make room for Mills. Corletto was Melbourne's longest current serving player and played for Melbourn all throough juniors. Imagine how he'd be feeling. This is typical of Mcpeake in so many ways..buying a championship, showing no loyalty, swinging the axe like crazy etc etc. Anyone who knows of Mcpeake knows what I mean. Dont get me wrong I'm super excited that Mills will be in the NBL. I'm just annoyed that he signed with a club as disgraceful as this one is off the court.

Topic #26175 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Cairns need a aussie 2 man in the rotation! He should rip up his Melb contract and go to Cairns!

Reply #328214 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

he should have came to cairns a year or so ago when melb first started f###ing around.

Reply #328218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sad to see him go - he didn't show much loyalty to Westover.

Reply #328219 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what do you mean anon ??

Reply #328220 | Report this post

GHOST  
Years ago

other way around westover is wasted space cannot coach to save himself will be found out in japan

Reply #328226 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great loyalty from the Tigers lol, guess it is a business but still a pretty tough call. What happens if the lockouts over after 3 games lol?

Reply #328228 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tigers have shown no loyalty towards anyone, including their members over the last 3-5 years.

Bring on a 2nd Melbourne team.

Reply #328230 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

If anything happens to Mills aka NBA lockout ends or a long term injury, Corletto will just slip back in. I think he will still train with the Tigers and is able to play in Pre Season too. Not that positive for Daryl but gives the Tigers a foolproof fallback

Reply #328243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We absolutely need a second Melbourne Team. Preferably One with some respect and an owner that can see his own d*&K!

Reply #328246 | Report this post

Great he is in the NBL. Best thing to happen for a long time and all would be OK IF the Tigers dropped an import to fit Patty in. So seeing as it is reported that Corletto is the bunny to make way then one of two things must be true.

1) Patty is playing for the some money as DC was.

OR

2) The Tigers must have been well under the cap in the first place

Sort of defeats the real purpose of the cap and the good work that the NBL did last year to at least get rid of the total pisstakes and limit the rorts to some high value Harvey Norman vouchers.

NBL needs to come clean.

Reply #328247 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Corletto knew the deal months ago when patty actully signed!!! Let's be honest Corletto is a bit part player at best so regardless of the length of time patty is at the club, You'd rather him than corletto anyday!

Reply #328250 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NO WAY had heaps of cap left Dorsey & Ubaka combined on $400K. Corletto stiff! Trigger and Burston injury prone! Tigers screwed!

Reply #328257 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Should cost the Tigers a fair bit to buy DC out. Still had a few years left on his contract didn't he?

Reply #328258 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hope Corletto signs with Cairns and the following day the Lockout gets resolved.

Reply #328261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pcccht! Like DC will get his money! That McPeake is the biggest immoral thief. Karma fatty. Karma.

Reply #328262 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

good comment GHOST. westover cannot coach to save himself? i guess that's why he went to 4 grand finals in his first 4 years and has the second best winning percentage in league history. clever comment.
definitely no loyalty at the tigers. dropping their coach (been with the club 20 years), their assistant coach (been with them 18 years) and their longest serving player (10 years?). they don't realise their fans don't want this.
mills will be great for attendance but i can't see him getting the $60k that corletto was on.
big pressure on gleeson now, this team has to win

Reply #328263 | Report this post

joycefan  
Years ago

To: fan since the old snakepi

I refer you to the NBL facebook and I quote:

"To answer how the Tigers fitted Mills under the points and salary cap, they have chosen not to activate Darryl Corletto, thereby removing his 6 points from the points cap. This left them at 60 points so adding Mills brought them to the 70 point limit. The Tigers have also renegotiated other existing player contracts (as has been done by numerous other teams in recent years) to free up salary cap space to allow them to sign Mills."
- Marc Howard, NBL

Reply #328264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that Corletto would be paid out, but still draw a salary and train, just not play until a spot was free.

Reply #328270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From twitter @DarylCorletto - Bitterly ****** disappointed about the tig's decision dumping me but I understand that basketball is now a business so I'll take it on the chin.

@ygoslo - it's a tough business mate. Already looking forward to seeing you back in uniform once Patty leaves.

@DarylCorletto - Thanks mate, We will see what happens.

Reply #328275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto is no doubt still with the team and like Isaac mentioned will probably just continue to train and whatever until Mills leaves. He'd still be a Tigers employee just for now no longer on the playing roster.

Reply #328285 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Bet Dillon is spewing he left Cairns now!!

Karma....

Reply #328286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tigers saying that Corletto is now a free agent. Axed, it seems.

Daryl Corletto has been removed from the Tigers active roster and will remain with the squad to join the active playing roster when required
Also:
Daryl is an NBL free agent & is able to join Tigers active roster should Patty return to NBA or another roster position open up

Reply #328296 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Go get him Fearney - nothing better than a good player with an axe to grind!!

Reply #328297 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

axed ??????? WOW

Reply #328312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From twitter @DarylCorletto - Bitterly ****** disappointed about the tig's decision dumping me but I understand that basketball is now a business so I'll take it on the chin.

he's worked with fatass all these years and just now understands it's a business? what about all his teammates over the years that cut without any pay-outs?

Reply #328318 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

WOW, how the hell are the Tigers under the salary cap?

If they let go Ubaka for Mills that would be fine, but they have let go what my guess would be one of their cheapest players, in a fairly deep team to sign probably the best player in the league, that just doesnt add up to me.

The whole re-negotiated contracts thing doesnt sound that legit, as if the guys took 20k cuts to get Mills in, assuming he is on something like 200k, which would be my guess, especially the imports, as why would they? Ubaka is potentially going to lose minutes so i doubt he would be keen for a pat cut aswell.

Great to see Mills in the NBL, i cant wait to see him play, i just wish he was with a club that just had say 1 import to fit him in,or a weaker aussie content Cairns, Kings or Hawks (or 36ers), so that it doesnt make a complete mockery of the salary cap.

I think when the 36ers were chasing him they were of the opinion it was Mills or a import point guard not BOTH due to the salary cap, i doubt the tigers roster is any cheaper than our players, come on NBL INVESTIGATE thoroughly this situation as no fan believes they are under the cap now surely.

Just from an outsider, i dont know anyone around Mills or any NBL club but to me it appears the Tigers have out bidded everyone for him, as he basically to my knowledge has no history with any coaches or players at the Tigers or the city of Melbourne, so its unlikely he would have went their cheap to play close to family or with a coach/teammate he has history with.

I am not bitter the 36ers didnt get him, and am heaps EXCITED to see Mills in the NBL, just think the situation is a JOKE! Whats next the Tigers sign Ingles in Benny Lewis's spot and they still fit under the salary cap?

Reply #328320 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree with Orbit, Corletto is a capable player and this may even spark him to play harder but even on current face value he would be a decent local signing for anyone with a roster spot available (does anyone have a spot left for a guard).
I'd wear him over Leon Henry for the Breakers (not taking anything away from Henry as he thoroughly deserves his spot) especially as he would be good back up at PG behind our Import and CJ could play SG with Webster as backup (shame this happened now and not when everyone was putting their teams together lol).

Reply #328323 | Report this post

vesta 67  
Years ago

What a joke.We are talking about one of the longest serving tiger players since gaze..One that has been loyal to this team time over and again they shit on him...and for what? Ihope loyal members pull the pin on this pathetic excuse of a club.

Reply #328328 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I hope the 36ers offer Corletto a training/injury reserve spot if he doesnt get a full time gig elsewhere, as he is a decent player IMO and doesnt deserve this from the Tigers.

Reply #328330 | Report this post

thedoctorC,mm  
Years ago

Corletto is on a difficult position, as the Tigers don't appear to have cut him. He's still on the payroll, just not activated. What thexTigers should do is pay him out and let him persue a spot elsewhere so he can get some playing time.

Reply #328333 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Jonno, I believe Mills played with Walker for a few years at SMC in the States, not that this would have had any impact on the signing.

Reply #328334 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

P Mills would know the score with what it took to get him signed and a salary.
Yea, its a business but the players should have a look at themselves too, looking forward to seeing Mills play but not if someone or someones had to get shafted for it to happen.
Not cool IMHO.

Reply #328336 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ubaka 10
Mills 10 (surely)
Dorsey 10
Burston 9
Tragardh 9
Rush ?
Greer 6
Dillon 5
Lewis 5
Walker 4
68 + Rush...

Serious?

Walker stays on 1?
Burston stays on 8?
Lewis stays on 4/3?

I remeber Rush being rated as a 9 for last season. The absolute maximum they can be on with existing contracts is 8.

All I can say is they are going to murder some teams, but get then on a bad shooting night, with Burston injured (which happens every year) and you could absolutely murder them too.
Great for the league that Mills is here. Why does it have to be for Melbourne?
Do Melbourne understand the idea of team balance?

Reply #328339 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I agree with OP.

Am a DC fan, would love to see him get a game elsewhere. Not sure he'll bother leaving town for a small contract elsewhere when his partner is doing so well.

Reply #328341 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mills
Ubaka
Dorsey
Tragardh
Burston

That is an unbelievable starting 5! wow!

Then with guys like Dillion, Rush etc. off the bench, that is one hell of a team.

Also, DraftExpress lists Ubaka as 6"4! Was really suprised seeing that..He could comfortably play the SG spot as a result.

Compare the Tigers starting 5 to last years Breakers team:
Mills > Henare
Ubaka < Penney
Dorsey > Abercrombie
Tradgardh = Vukona (Equal both score a little and rebound)
Burston < Wilkinson

Looks as though the Tigers team is potentially an upgrade of last years Champions.
Although IMO, Breakers were deeper than what this current squad is.

Reply #328343 | Report this post

DomesticPlayer  
Years ago

Corletto was an average player and on court won't be missed by the Tigers. He missed way too many open threes to be a threat in this league.
Having said that he should be proud of his 10 years at the one club, in light of what has happened to the league in recent history.

As for the matter of the corporatisation of the Melbourne Tigers- it has been sad, I feel sorry for the die hards, but surely it hasn't taken the sacking of a No.9 on the roster to realise this though!

Reply #328346 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I doubt very much Sengstock is worried about the Tigers points or cap. In fact he would have been in the whole push to get Patty here. He can see the big picture & i dont blame him. It's a shame Patty chose Melbourne though. They dont have much trouble filling a 3000 seat stadium anyway. Imagine seeing the Gold Coast crowds go from 2500 to 7500 with his signature. That would be awesome for this league!

Reply #328348 | Report this post

vesta 67  
Years ago

DC should never stuck by these cretins when things got bad.he should have taken the offers that were thrown at him but no,he is too loyal to his club and fans to walk away..the question remains as to weather he will bow this time?

Reply #328353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is somewhat of a coup for the league. That however is based on the casual fan being more familiar with Patty than any other "stars" currently in league, leading to more bums on seats. I suppose it will at least lead to more media coverage which is always good.

I am a big fan of Mills and the way he carries himself so will feel kind of bad ripping him a new one when he come to the jungle....kind of.

And I do feel for DC and the way he had been seemingly been handled. Do any teams still even have a roster spot ?

Reply #328358 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wouldn't be suprised if DC goes to Europe (England or a minor European mainland league such as Sweden or Poland)

He does have a Great Britain passport, so he could play there as a local.

Reply #328362 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Mills is not the drawcard many of us who visit this forum think he is. Seriously now, and detach yourself from the basketball junkie inside you, just how big do you think Patty's profile is outside of basketball circles. Better yet, pull yourself away from your workstation for 5 minutes and do a spot poll of your work colleagues and friends who do not follow basketball. Tell them that Patty Mills is playing in the NBL, You might be surprised when they say "who".

Sure he might put a couple of hundred additional bums on seats and he might generate the odd news story, which is better than nothing I do concede, but week in, week out the NBL and Basketball Australia are criticised for not promoting strongly enough the domestic game and its stars. I know I just made a generalisation but sadly few people outside of basketball know who Patty Mills is. How many retail outlets carry his playing jersery, perhaps 1 maybe 2, at best 3. Andrew Bogut, well that's a different matter.

I know many will disagree with me, call me a fool, whatever, and that's your perogative but I just don't see attendances improving significant just because of Patty, and especially not over the duration of the season. Happy to be proven wrong.

Finally I have last thing to say about him signing with Melbourne -"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"

Reply #328364 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I'm disappointed that the NBL appears to have helped deliver Mills to Melbourne. Surely Mills would have been better served in a team with smaller numbers using a community model ie Hawks or Taipans. I'm 36ers supporter and still believe he would have done more good to play for these two teams thus Adelaide as well. Why would you help deliver Mills to a team that can afford to have him. Help a team that needs more of a profile. Once again he would have been better served in a community model team.

Reply #328371 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

It's good to see the old Melbourne Storm accountant has found himself another gig, this time with the Tigers.

(i stole that)

Reply #328374 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I heard Mills gets money from Melbourne which is part of their cap.

He also gets money from BA to play in the NBL for promo. The money from BA is not part of the cap as it is not paid for him playing for Melbourne, it is paid for him playing in Australia.

Reply #328377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just get him a gig with Coca-Cola (ala Kevin Brooks), problem solvered.

Reply #328389 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

MACDUB, based on last season I will argue your Abercrombie
Abercrombie, Finals MVP and a major contributor on the "WINNING" team

Dorsey, hit a couple of big big shots for the loosing team in the finals

I'll take Abercrombie, no doubt cheaper also lol

Reply #328392 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

not sure what happened with that post but it was meant to read

MACDUB, based on last season I will argue your Dorsey > Abercrombie call

Reply #328393 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Must be some clever accounting happening in Melbourne. Not so much a salary cap, as a salary top hat...a very tall top hat.

Tigersnakes Dillon, Dorsey and Ubaka.....these guys will have plenty of time to think about leaving Cairns while sitting on the bench playing reduced minutes.

Reply #328394 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

If its anything more than speculation that BA are also paying Mills outside of the cap, then that is completely unfair to every other team.

I doubt that is the case, but then again Sengstock is on the record saying BA would assist getting Mills in an NBL jersey.

Story was reported on ESPN yesterday too. Anyone see the top 500 player rankings? Mills came in around 320 from memory. Ranbked ahead of mostly benchies and veterans, but still in some good company.

Importantly, ranked ahead of Brian Scalabrine. Also ahead of Fabricio Oberto who is retired. Bonus!

Reply #328395 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would not have had a problem if the NBL helped a team like Cairns or the Hawks get a marque local player as those teams are Community Owned and from small centres and aren't throwing cash around but Melbourne, bit of a joke especially when they had their whole team assembled already.

Reply #328398 | Report this post

tp7  
Years ago

In 'The Age' this morning and article on Julie Corletto trying to get out of her last year of contract with Melb Vixens to move up North!

Reply #328399 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

All this talk about going to Cairns or the Gong, but surely the best bet for BA to get bang for their buck promotion wise is to have Mills in a large city, either Sydney or Melbourne.

If BA are in fact subsidising his salary in return for promotional work he will be doing for the league in general then whats the problem?

Also whos saying Mills is getting paid mega bucks? He could easily have chased much bigger money over seas and will no doubt be well rewarded when the NBA comes back on line, an extra 50k or whatever now really would be a drop in the ocean to him.

I, like most others cant stand McPeake and the Tigers but looking at it all logically I can see how this could have been worked out within the rules.

Reply #328400 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Statman's on the money, the two biggest markets are Sydney and Melbourne so i'm pretty sure Larry and BA are over the moon he has signed with one of these two clubs. We are not just talking about bums on seats but also tv viewers, sponsorship, marketing why do you think there was such a push to get Sydney back in the league? I'm actually very surprised Mills didn't end up there but i'm guessing they didn't have the cash to back it up like Melbourne.

Reply #328402 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

The Tigers would be well over the salary cap with this move. However I'd suggest BA are paying the difference, not Melbourne as this is about growing the game not about which team benifits. As we all know participation in this great game is huge throughout the country and this is exactly what we need to re-energize the lazy basketball people who do not attend NBL games (myself included).

As a result of Mills playing I'm positive every away game for Melbourne will see a marked improvment in attendence. I live in Melbourne and the first thing I did when I got to work today was check the price of a family membership with the Tigers, if the NBA lock out ends tomorrow I lose (or do I?).

Andrew Bogut was quoted yesterday as saying he could follow Patty Mills home to Australia if the lock out does not end soon -http://m.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/bogut-may-join-mills-in-the-nbl-20110829-1jid9.html

Please guys stop being negative about this news, it's not about Peake, Corletto or who wins the 2012 NBL championship, it's about BA finally doing something to generate some real interest in Basketball. If this keeps one Jack Watts from going to play Football, it's a winning move and I'm sure it will.

Reply #328403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne have typically done very little promotional work compared to other clubs. Given their small venue and existing guards, I just don't see BA maximising their Mills buck here.

Would rather see him in Sydney of the two - they have Bruce, Cooper and Martin; room to grow in that venue; an even bigger market, etc. With those PG stocks and word that Bruce has been the best of the three, they could really use a better PG.

Reply #328405 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Bogut's management have already spoken with the Tigers but it appears the insurance factor would be the big sticking point pending a career ending injury.

I think people forget that the NBL in syd or melb need the big names as that is where the max commercial value is to BA & bball in general!!!

Also let’s be honest all teams that can afford it rort the salary cap in ways that a hard to trace, i.e investment advice, third party deals with Family, property developments

Reply #328409 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, you seem to have insider info..

Is there any plans to move at least some of Melbourne's home games, particularly the season opener, to a larger venue?

"Patty Mills & The Tigers sell 10,000 in season opener" would be a nice headline to hear come October.

What promotion is being done to make this worth while?
Is the NBL going to pay for advertising in other cities when Patty comes to town?

Reply #328415 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Isaac, you raise a good point. If Melbourne really want to take full advantage of the signing they should look to change venues, however this would mean committing to a venue based on Mills staying put...I doubt they could do that as it's more than likely he will return to the US at some point during the season. Perhaps being happy with a sell out crowd at each home game is enough. I agree from this perspective, the better result would have been Mills ending up in Sydney, however as I live in Melbourne I wont be complaining.

As for the lack of promotion, I'd put that down to Melbourne believing it a waste of time given their performance over the last two seasons. You would assume that's all about to change...atleast I hope so.

Reply #328418 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Sydney & Melbourne are the best markets? Really?
Melbourne only holds around 3,000 and Sydney struggle to fill a venue.
Cairns managed an attendance average of 4000 and above last season....all in a town the fraction the size of Melbourne. Mills would be considered a local boy. Where is the marketing sense in supporting him to Melbourne?

Reply #328419 | Report this post

hogwash 41  
Years ago

Not only have they ruined the career of a true aussie basketballer but they have also jeopardised the career of his world champion netballer wife, who may now have to up and leave to follow her husband...
They claim to be a family loyal club, it seems to be more give from Corletto than the tigers.
I believe in this instance to a player like corletto that money means nothing, it is his loyalty to the club that needs to be recognised!!!!

Reply #328420 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

It doesn't matter who is paying Mills contract, the fact of the matter is that this has become an unfair playing field for all of the other teams and if he is getting paid by BA then they are supporting this venture. This is effectively how the league hit rock bottom in the first place. Why would owners bother putting up money for a competition in which they get little to no return when they know they are not playing on a level playing field? This goes against everything BA has been trying to instil since the NBL’s relaunch.

If you think the Tigers have managed to renegotiate themselves under the salary cap then you are ignorant. For Mills to be on $200k as a guess and Corletto was on $60k then 7 of the other players would have to reduce their salaries by $20k each which I highly doubt has happened. If my employer came to me and said we can bring in this really good employee who will help us be successful etc but you will have to agree to a $20k reduction in salary to bring them in I would tell them to get stuffed as I’m sure most if not everyone would!

I have also lost some respect for Mills after he tweeted yesterday that he was hoping it would help Australian Basketball and get it back to its glory days. Signing for Cairns or the Gong would have shown a true care for the leagues profile but by signing for Melbourne its all about greed. He’s not helping the league, he’s making fans, owners & players from all other clubs think this league is a farce.

As for generating more income and getting more people to games I don’t think this will have the impact BA thinks it will. I have a heap of friends who love basketball and love watching the NBA but wont go to NBL games for whatever reason. I asked them all yesterday if they will go to the game when Patty comes to play or are they more likely to watch it on TV now and they all said no - go figure?!

BA can turn a blind eye to this rort and even pretend they have investigated the Tigers but if you believe any of that spin you’re a fool. BA, the Tigers and Patty Mills have all embarrassed themselves with this move in my opinion and they are making a mockery of the league.

Reply #328424 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Snake, I guess that's what we are saying in regards to Melbourne. It's not the best place for BA to 'put him' to market the game.

Hogwash, if you are playing a professional sport and you aren't up to it this is what happens. You can't honestly expect Melbourne to keep a guy like Corletto when Mills is available, this would be commercial suicide. I value his loyalty, however this is a business decision and yes it sucks, but that's the way it goes....

Reply #328425 | Report this post

hogwash 41  
Years ago

Firstly, Corletto has not been sacked!They expect him to sit on the sidelines and make way for Mills..and jump back into play when he has gone..So to say "his not up to it" is a joke!
Secondly, Why couldnt Mills have gone back to his home team? didnt they want him?
Cant believe tigers would let go of a loyal crowd favorite for the sake of a 2 week stint of a money hungry Patty Mills.
Im sure if the offer was higher elsewhere,Patty would jump ship!!!

Reply #328429 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Snake, I guess that's what we are saying in regards to Melbourne. It's not the best place for BA to 'put him' to market the game.

Hogwash, if you are playing a professional sport and you aren't up to it this is what happens. You can't honestly expect Melbourne to keep a guy like Corletto when Mills is available, this would be commercial suicide. I value his loyalty, however this is a business decision and yes it sucks, but that's the way it goes....

Reply #328430 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Snake5, couldnt agree more that Cairns do a great job of filling their venue and would be a nice fit on court for Mills, but when was the last time Kochie chatted about sitting front row at a Taipans game on Sunrise on national TV? No he hasnt cause he goes to Kings games - in the biggest market that Australia has. The big newspapers - rightly or wrongly - dont care what happens in Cairns, Townsville, Gold Coast etc as their readers are based in Sydney and Melbourne and that is where they want to have stories to write about. Who cares what Nick Riewoldt had for dinner or what Eddie Maguire does but thats what happens, big names get talked about and reported on, thus increasing the coverage the sport will get.

This is where we are at when talking market, where can basketball get the most traction in the main stream media and use that to get more people talking about the game, watching on TV and turning up to see it live, the answer is Sydney or Melbourne.

Reply #328431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti has reported that Rush and Greer's contracts were renegotiated to fit Mills in.

Not suggesting it's true, but imagine if the club had picked a few 6+ point players and said that the one who renegotiated most poorly (as a %age of salary) would be out of the active roster! Could be brutally effective.

Reply #328433 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Hog, as I'm sure you know Canberra haven't had an NBL team since 2002 so Patty couldn't go play for his home team.

If Corletto was in fact good enough he would not have been dropped, end of story. Let's see if someone else picks him up - if he is good enough this will surely happen...don't hold your breath.

The offer to play in Europe would have been higher but Patty came home to AUS to put back into the community - so your argument here doesn't wash either.

Tell me this - Can Bogut play uninsured? I'd say yes, but he risks getting injured and loosing his $17m per year. If Mills gets injured, Portland don't sign him and he looses his ability to earn $2m in the NBA and for what $200k. Pat Mills is one of the highest quality Australian sportsman we have in our country and is the role model I would endorse for my young son.

Reply #328434 | Report this post

hogwash 41  
Years ago

Melhoops: Firstly, Corletto had many other offers last year but as a loyal true aussie basketballer, he made the choice to stay with the tigs and be close to family.

Clearly Mills is the money hungry person to come to australia and bump off a top player for 200k!!! A small price compared to his millions you are claiming...

Corletto hasnt been dropped!! He is still contracted for 2 years and im am lead to believe still being paid somehow! Shifty sheamus strikes again!!!

A load of crap that Mills came back to put into the community.I dont for a second believe that was is intention at all.

Not disputing Mills ability to play, however if he was the true aussie sportsman ur claiming, he would have come long before the lock out came into affect.

If you think Corletto isnt a role model for up and coming generations, with the loyalty proven to his fans and club then you have rocks in your head!

He could so easily be bad mouthing the club and owner at this stage but being the guy that he is,he is remaining loyal yet again and keeping tight lipped even after being kicked in the guts by the tigers!!! AGAIN!

Reply #328437 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Kochie talks about the Kings on Sunrise because he is one of the owners.

Reply #328441 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mills wasn't earning $2m in the NBA.
Last season, his salary was $937,195 to be exact.

Reply #328442 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its crazy when you really consider NBA salaries..
Gerald Wallace's salary from last season was the combined salary cap of all 9 NBL teams.

In other news, check out this!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10748376

Remote chance of Bogut to the Breakers!!

Reply #328445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably also a remote chance of Bogut coming to work for me or join the 36ers dancers, for some definition of remote.

Reply #328449 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Statman, I agree. The big papers generate stories readers want. But that's my point. Despite the support of TV, Kochie (who nobody up here gives a toss about), and national papers - the Kings still cant pull the numbers that the Taipans can.

Reply #328450 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac. How can anyone come up with that insurance money?

How much is it..$17m or something isn't it?

$17m is just about the entire GDP of NZ ;)

Reply #328451 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Snake5 - agree about Kochie :)

I seem to recall Paul quoting some crowd figures for last season at some stage a while back and the Kings average crowd was in fact the highest in the NBL!
(thats going off memory though so I could well be wrong)

Reply #328453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I think the Kings crowd is quite strong (considering ladder position) and they have room to grow. snake5, I think you're wrong.

Reply #328456 | Report this post

SMEXPERT  
Years ago

Pity he is going to a team with the leagues worst off court promotion, in the smallest stadium that is rarely full. Back to the good old days in Tiger town, finding loopholes to sign bignames? Or patty really only signed because of their history. Great for the NBL to have Mills here, pity its with that team.

Reply #328459 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

God damn people!! Who really cares how Mills managed to fit in under their cap. Patty Mills is playing in Australia, and if you are any type of Basketball fan, you will greatly appreciate that!!

Go the Crocs!

Reply #328462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a disgrace .......
loyalty means nothing he wins club MVP awards etc kills it in the ABA year after year and he is no spring chicken.... supports junior basketball in this country running his own academy to develop kids skills this is plain wrong... tigers are NOT a family club and if they think this is a great way to send him off and finish his career at the only club he has stuck by they are delerious ,,,, absolute kick in the stomach DC deserves a send off from all the loyal fans and more respect from that club.

Reply #328464 | Report this post

juno53  
Years ago

i dont get the whole thing.....
as if Dc saw this coming the tigers are lying shifty dogs and I hope they lose every game and fold.

Reply #328465 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You must measure crowd paying to come in vs crowds with free entry.

Reply #328468 | Report this post

hogwash 41  
Years ago

shifty yes they are..with no morals at all...
Lets hope they end up with egg on their face..or is that green eggs for shifty shamus

Reply #328469 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

if you are any type of Basketball fan, you will greatly appreciate that!!
We appreciated it, now we're doing some complaining. ;)

Reply #328475 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

You might find the Tiger's are locked into the Netball & Hockey centre under a contract so don’t expect a move anytime soon as I believe the out clause would be quite large.

I can’t understand all the hate being directed towards the Tigers on this forum, it was a pure business decision and to those in the "know" DC shopped himself around trying to push his price up about 12 months ago & when the Tigers refused to play ball it left him swinging until late on due to a lack of interest elsewhere at his asking price, so personally I wouldn’t be throwing the loyalty argument around to much as behind the scenes it is a business for all involved!

Reply #328476 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Probably also a remote chance of Bogut coming to work for me or join the 36ers dancers, for some definition of remote.

------------------

Hmmm... interesting thought... Bogut dancing with the 6er girls and that new bloke!

Reply #328480 | Report this post

Tiger Hater  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, Take your brown nose somewhere else! Purely a business decision is no reason to be unethical or disloyal.

How this works confuses me, I am puzzled how a player can be on a teams list and not be "active" but still on the payroll. Complete dishonesty by the BA to pay Patty on top of the salary cap and allow DC to still be paid by then.

DC should get paid out in full and sign somewhere else and then light up against Seamus McTryhard's soft Tigers (albeit not a fan of DC, but would still love to see it)

P.S How Seamus can say that a bench warmer who play crap minutes for an NBA team is a bigger signing that an Internationally proven star in Harry Kewell is beyond me. How the NBA is better than European Champions League soccer which Harry played in is bigger than wiping Brandon Roy's chair is beyond belief.

Patty has proven nothing, won nothing, bench warmer and is currently not an NBA player. Over hyped over nothing. Played as many minutes as Sean Marks......

Reply #328482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F*ing whingers the lot of you, If Patty signed in Europe you'd all be complaining that he isn't here.
Im sick of this forum- Im DIEHARD 6ers for life and I can't wait till patty and the Tigers come to town. Appreciate the fact that your useless little minds can watch a true point guard for a few months Patty is a legend and like someone above said- he is a role model I want my son to look up to. You losers would complain if you won the lottery cause you'd have to pay tax. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Reply #328489 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Um, you dont have to pay tax if you win the lottery.

Reply #328491 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hell tear up the NBL tiger hater. He's speed passing & deadly range will make Melbourne extremely tough!!

Reply #328492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tiger Hater, a club can pay a player that isn't on their active roster just like they can pay a manager or doctor, etc. He can train with the team just like visiting Boomers can - I think Horvath was an inactive, training member of the Dragons at one point?

Reply #328493 | Report this post

Tiger Hater  
Years ago

How is Patty a legend? What has he done? He is bench warmer, 15th man on a 15 man bench that plays next to nothing minutes?

I think Patty is a top notch player, but to start calling him a legend when he was drafted the same as Ater Majok and is as much an NBA player as him is ridiculous!

Call a legend when they have achieved something, not say that because he makes up numbers in training camp for an NBA team he is somehow a legend is bloody stupid.

If Patty wanted to help the indigenous community he should of gone to a city with a lot of Indigenous people. Perth, Adelaide Nth QLD.

He came to Melbourne to party and BA and Seamus will let him live the good party life while he is here and do nothing for basketball in this country.

WOW he will help sell out a tiny 3,500 capacity stadium..... Great money well spent BA....

Reply #328494 | Report this post

tp7  
Years ago

Tiger Hater, how can you say Patty has achieved nothing???
He has represented his state, represented his country, been to the AIS, played NCAA Div1 college ball, played minutes in the NBA, scored in the NBA.. is that not achieving anything??

We must have a different understanding of achieving.

As much as i feel for Corletto, who has been loyal to his club! I know id rather go watch Mills then Corletto!

Reply #328498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I won't jump to call him a legend either, but he has achieved something in the NBA and certainly more than Majok. He was getting regular minutes at one point and represented Australia well on that stage.

I too would've preferred to see him in Adelaide, Cairns, Wollongong or Sydney, but let's moderate the complaints just a bit.

Reply #328499 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont care who he plays for as long as it is legit and within the constraints of the points and salary cap like every team has to abide by. The problem is it isnt and BA are turning a blind eye in the hope it rejuvenates interest in attendance and TV viewing.

Sure, it will be great to see a player of Mills calibre running around the courts of the NBL but its still not fair for all opposing teams who are bound to the legalities when the Tigers are a law to their own.

The salary cap and points cap is in place to ensure all teams are competitive and are able to stick around.

Its amusing how all of the successful teams pre NBL relaunch (policed salary cap) have been perched at the lower end of the NBL ladder or no longer in existence) and teams like Cairns and Wollongong have found some success.

The Mills saga is a backward step in the betterment of the NBL!

Reply #328501 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Patty is a legend, please explain what he has done that has been legendary?
I look forward to seeing how he goes but thats about it. I wanted NZ to chase his signature as he is a good player but not at the expense of renegotiating everyone's salary and it would have been instead of an import and then replace him with an import when he left

Reply #328502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

So the money being paid to Wade Helliwell to see out his contract does not impact their salary cap??

Reply #328511 | Report this post

GHOST  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher I don,t know were you get your info but you are wrong.
Corletto had to wait for Mcpeake to get back from Ireland to sort out contract. in the mean time other teams approached him and he told them he was waiting for Seamus to come back . He has been nothing but LOYAL to a club that he has been at since he was 14 years old dont post rubbish you no nothing about.

Reply #328514 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No it doesnt.

Reply #328515 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Next post please......

Reply #328516 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Corletto, if he ends up playing for Cairns I think it would be a good thing for him and a really handy pick-up for Cairns.

Might turn out to be best for everyone even though it is disappointing.

I wish Mills were playing for someone else too, like prety much everyone, but above that I am happy he is in the league. While it is quite possible Melbourne are being 'creative', I dont think Mills is the money hungry type or he would have accepted much bigger offers from OS.

Reply #328519 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To Tigers Hater, you are aware that Mills averaged around a point every two minutes in the NBA last year? Scored in double figures 10 times, despite only getting more than 15 minutes in 14 games.

No one is saying he is an NBA star, but he certainly showed he is a capable back-up last year, and on a number of occasions was Portland's best point guard on the night.

Reply #328525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This forum is an absolute joke. It's great that Patty is playing in Australia - he could have been paid a lot more overseas.

Players get cut all the time - Corletto's not the first and he won't be the last. I'd hope that the sixers would cut a player to sign Mills and I'm sure that everyone wouldn't be complaining if that was the case.

Reply #328529 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 328529, as a Sixers fan I would be complaining if the Sixers released a player to sign Mills. Given that Patty is only likely to be here for 1 season max I would rather the club I support chase a potential long term prospect than a player (whilst great) who does not know whether he is going to be here from one week to the next.

Reply #328532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon re Helliwell - no, doesn't count against the cap. Let's pretend Helliwell had a three year deal for $100k/yr, and that he was cut after a year. Here's what can happen. The club refuses to pay him his remaining $200k. He knows it's too difficult to try to get it through legal avenues. So he gets a job for, say, $60k and if he's lucky and the old club are nice, they'll top him up that $40k for the next two years. That $60k counts against his new club's cap. The $40k being topped up doesn't count against the cap of his old club.

I don't know how common it is for players to get their full amount though. More often, I imagine it's negotiated to some midpoint.

Reply #328536 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Mills signing with Melbourne really sucks from an Adelaidean perspective, he could have signed with any club bar Melbourne or NZ and i'd have been happy, but now Melbourne has bought a championship.

So yeah, kinda pissed about that.

In saying that, Mills is coming to Australia, brilliant! I'm interested to watch some Melbourne games this year, so i wouldn't mind if they're on tv fairly regularly. This is a good thing for the NBL and hopefully the season doesn't fizzle out as quickly as last year. The proposed opening matchups on ONEHD look very interesting to say the least!

Reply #328537 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Can you imagine if Corletto did go to Cairns.. add to that the poaching by Melbourne at the start of the off season the rivalry would be feirce!

Reply #328540 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I wonder what the chemistry will be like between Mills & Ubaka? Pretty similar style players, both ball dominant score first players. I'm not convinced this Melbourne team is particularly well balanced and that could hurt them.

Reply #328541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

-The NBL should've gotten Patty to Sydney. Bigger stadium, bigger market, they finished last last year.
-Corletto is loyal because no other team wants him, end of story. Pretty sure GHOST and hog wash are his family and friends, who else would use that many exclamation marks when saying how great a 9th man is
-The Tigers have no loyalty and Seamus is an asshole but it'll be good to see Patty playing in the NBL.
-Pressure is on Gleeson. Might be the best NBL team ever and the 1st with an NBA player. If they don't win it he should be sacked.
-I think we need to know what's going on with the salary cap. This doesnt seem fair. I cant see how they can take money off Greer and Rush?

Reply #328545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, those salaries were negotiated down. It's possible that the Tigers did something like offer them a guaranteed second year if they took a $20k cut this year, or loaded the second year of a contract. e.g., if they had a two year deal of $80k and $95k, it could've been reworked to $60k and $115k. Make sense?

There were some guidelines (not sure if they were actual rules) relating to the congruence of points value and player salary (e.g., an eight point player should have a salary between $x and $y) in the past that could impact how far teams could bend these figures.

There would be less chance of squeezing loads of money from a cheaper player. Doubt the imports would agree to it given they could be ditched at any point. Wonder if Tragardh or Burston were considered.

Reply #328555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it doesn't make sense to be honest. What team is going to be under the salary cap with Tommy Greer making $115k in a season? I get what you're saying but they would be in bigger salary troubles next year if they did what you just suggested

Reply #328556 | Report this post

juno53  
Years ago

Tigers always sign the ones that are either ball hungry or dont fit in the mix Mills will be no different.....
From what I hear DC is on the upper anyway

Reply #328561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, they wouldn't have Mills next season. I think they figure that they will worry about that when it happens. Run with one import or a cheap import, push one of the kids into a starting spot.

Don't have enough time right now to check the contract lengths for this year's signings. Someone else might want to look them up.

Reply #328566 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I still don't really understand it.

If you sign a contract for X amount of dollars, how can the front office get a new team member and say 'Either you take a pay cut' or were going to deactivate you?

When they sign the original contract, wouldn't the salary aspect be guaranteed?

Seems real unfair that players have to give up 20k+ on their contract; 20k is a huge amount and I reckon that if players like Greer or Rush knew that they would have had to play for the new negotiated amount before they signed the contract, they would have signed elsewhere.

Reply #328569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone can get on a forum and bag Seamus but to be quite clear.

no Seamus = no tigers for last umpteen years = no team in Melbourne which = no NBL!

So let the man make the calls on his staff as I think he might know a thing or two, plus last time I checked no muppets on here spend their millions to run a bball team!

Reply #328580 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

There's a huge difference between knowing a thing or two and being able to spend millions

Reply #328582 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As Isaac said, some guys might be on $180K for two years, and they have probably put more into the second year and less in the first, knowing Mills wont be back. Let's hope it's above board - we will probably never knnow but having Mills in the league is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than having him playing in Turkey or Spain.

Reply #328588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt the Kings would ever have been in contention, or even tried at all. That's the thing - the clubs that might have benefited the most (if there does turn out to be a 'Mills Bump') are precisely the ones that wouldn't have stood much of a chance. The Kings don't have any cash, but they are the club that could have taken the most advantage, run the furthest with it if it did turn out to be something worth running with.

Reply #328590 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Tigerhater your a basketball genius, Mills has done nothing??? Making the league at what- 6'3 and becoming a crowd favorite in Portland.
Would you call Shane heal a Aussie legend? I would and in the space of a few years patty has done more. Heal hit some treys for the timberwolves one night and some big games for the boomers. look at gaze, Australia's biggest legend and let me tell you patty will surpass him in the next decade. You know nothing mate go back to working maccas drive through or cleaning the toilets at the crazy horse. You should take tiger out of your forum name cause it looks to me like your just a hater. I'll be cheering patty at Adelaide arena in November

Reply #328591 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, the Tigers could've gone to players who have multi-year deals and asked them to load their contracts in later years in order to strengthen the team with Mills. They could've adjusted an $80k+$90 contract to be $60k+$120k as an example so the incentive was there ($10k bonus). As Marc Howard said on Facebook, teams do this now and then to shuffle their roster. The players are still getting their money (albeit deferred) - up to them whether or not they accept it.

A club could threaten to deactivate a player if they didn't take a cut, but word would spread and they might struggle to recruit in the future.

Reply #328596 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

I think you will find that BA have the option to allow teams to go above and beyond the points system and/or salary cap if - it is deemed in the best interests of basketball.
In this case it seems they decided that Mills in the NBL is of significant value. Not sure how Melbourne won out or if anyone else even tried to get him!
Would be good to hear the full story from BA and the Tigers about how this all happened.

Will be interesting to see how Gleeson manages the team, small ball comes to Melbourne!

Reply #328599 | Report this post

Great plan Isaac. Tigers could use the plan well. Get Rush and Greer to play for 60K this year and then 120K next year. Then mysteriously at the start of next season decide to de-activate them. Simple really. Now your thinking like Seamus.

Personally I am over all the fuss. The only things pissing me off is not knowing the real truth about what went on. Now I am just waiting for what is shaping up as a great season to start. Cant wait for Martin V Mills. May also be a chance for the non believers to appreciate how strong the NBL is after seeing how out local guys stack up against an NBA role player who is now the first player to be playing NBL who would have actually been playing in the NBA rather than a discard or hopefull.

Reply #328601 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah... Tigers are crooks, but I'm over being pissed now... Although I WOULD really like to know after the good season Rush had, how he went from a 9pt player down to a 7pt player... No other player, except for teammate Mottram, went down more than 1pt... I just think that's really suss...

Reply #328602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To tiger watcher . U couldn't be more far from the truth.. Don't talk like u know everything... To annoyo mcpeake lover.. Your an idiot.. Yes mcpeake has Money to pay for the tigers.. But All he thinks about is $$. .. No loyalty no caring about basketball , or fans or players just his fat pockets.. Not great when they are trying to rebuild basketball.. People saying mills passed up big contracts to play here are kidding themselves.. I guarantee u that the amount he gets paid by ba for playing for Australia just went up a heck of a lot.. patty mills doesn't care about basketball in Australia.. He is chasing the money.. Proves it with the lockout clause.. Don't get me wrong you'd be a fool to pass playing in the NBA up. I'm just sick off people blowing mills up to be the savior of the nbl and basketball in Australia... What a joke.. A massive publicity stunt that does nothing for basketball in Australia in the long run.. People will go see the games to see mills.. Mills leaves then what? Also if they load the salaries of the players that took the cut next season.. How will u get better players to help keep the interest in the tigers or nbl from the closet fans.. They will lose interest again.. Loyalty is something that should be strong in any club at any sport... That's how u keep fans.. They stay loyal... Anyone remember the good old days when players stayed at the clubs or their career or majority of it.. Thats when basketball was big... The tigers just showed what they think of loyalty..

Reply #328608 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm actually more interested in how all the new imports in the league go than Patty Mills

Reply #328617 | Report this post

snake5  
Years ago

Yep. Loyal fans love loyal players. Mess with that, and that = less fans = less income for the club. pretty soon, even clever accounting wont cover the bills.

Imports are not always the most loyal to their club. Everyone in Cairns knows that.....

Reply #328619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how the tigers are labelled as the only crooks in the league. Adelaide has been found guilty for breaching the salary cap in the past and there was also the issue of Julius Hodge being paid with stolen money. Adelaide have tried to buy championships but they haven't been successful lately.

Reply #328620 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm pretty over this sideshow already, he is just one player on a team. He'll do well while he is here but I won't be cheering for the Tigers, I'll support any team playing against them as I do with the Lakers.

Reply #328623 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 328620, you are correct, the Sixers did get caught breaching the cap but that was many years ago and they paid for it afterwards. IF Melbourne are breaching the cap they are not getting penalised for it - thats the difference and where the unfairness comes in, they are playing on a different playing field compared to the rest of the league.

The Hodge fiasco was pre NBL relaunch when the cap etc wasnt really policed and was under different ownership. Also, you cant honestly tell me other teams in those years werent breaching the cap, Dragons, Bullets, Tigers...teams like the Sixers had to breach as wel if they wanted to remain competitive.

Mills isnt the drawcard the NBL is hoping him to be and I doubt he will perform any better than Gary Ervin did last year.

Reply #328629 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know if those Hodge payments breached the cap. Mal/Eddy didn't want to spend to replace an underperforming import until Fuss stepped in with the (unknown to others) dodgy money.

Reply #328631 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Let's just be thankful that Mills is playing in the league at all.

Regardless of what results he produces in-game, he's still going to add some profile that brings the attention of local viewers and hopefully packs more stadiums in away games (as pointed out earlier, the cage can't get any more than 3000 people).

Hopefully if there is an improvement in attendance on last season with help from these signings, then BA might warrant reviewing the season schedule to allow international aussies to have a chance to play back at home.

Reply #328637 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There isnt really a window for international Aussies to play back home, unfortunately. Even if there was the benefits of bringing back some of those players, who are good players but far from household names, would be far less than the loss of exposure and revenue from having to compete with the footy codes.

Reply #328642 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re: the salary adjustments, I guess we will know a bit more about how legit this is when we see the Tigers roster next year. You would imagine they would have to make some 'downwards adjustments' if they have a number of players being paid more than anticipated for the 2013 season.

In the meantime I am just going to sit back and enjoy watching Mills play for as long as he is here, which at the moment looks like it could actually be the whole season but you never know.

Reply #328652 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Players and Owners of the NBA are meeting again for further discussions and some teams have released their schedules for pre season games, regular season games and tv coverage......an NBA season may be closer than you think?

Reply #328662 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

I'd love to see the odds on offer of Mills winning the MVP of the NBL.

Reply #328671 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Possibly Tornado, or .... owners and players are meeting for the first time in a month after being lengths apart in their expectations for a deal. An NBA season could be a long way away.

If the NBA clubs are losing as much as they say they probably wont be too concerned about rushing into a deal, particularly with the uncertainty in the US economy at the moment. Having said that, a couple of surprise gives and a couple of takes and the season could be on again quickly.

Reply #328686 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Simple solution - allow each team to sign a marquee player outside the salary cap like Soccer does. Even fanatic Hoops freaks may have noticed that Harry Kewell has signed to play in the A-League and there have been special arrangements put in place to make it happen. Perhaps if the NBL actually thought about it, they would have avoided this whole sorry mess.

Reply #328725 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not really - who else would have chosen to pass up bigger contracts in Europe to play in the NBL that would have the marketing appeal of Mills? And how big an impact would they have on the league? And what would clubs do in a non-lockout year?

At this point, the benefits of a marquee player wouldnt go close to covering the cost. Sustainability and slow growth is the only realistic way forward that I can see at this point.

Reply #328734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick question guys, how do we know he is getting less than he would in Europe? BA are surely paying for him to come here, not the 60k Corletto was making

Only top European clubs can pay big money and they will spend it on legitimate starting or close to NBA player.

I reckon Patty would be getting some good coin north of 200k to come here.....

Not sure how much more he could gather in Europe with other NBA players on offer

Reply #328785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754