Isaac
Years ago

Bogut to Kings likely?

Don't put the house on it, but I'm tempted to call it now. Have heard things from a couple of angles that suggest it's happening.

Topic #26246 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Thats a better option than Perth. They will get 10,000 fans every week now & make the Kings tough. Perth dont need him & dont have the big stadium!!!

Reply #329654 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Kings have less to loose,
and more to gain from this deal
than the 36ers or the Wildcats.

Reply #329655 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Sounds resonable, always figured the sixers were a long shot at best. however regardless of anything id rather see him in a sixers uniform. But sydney needs something like this to bring the masses back to basketball.

Reply #329656 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If it is the Kings, the only disappointing thing from my point of view is that it will sideline Khazzouh a bit as a force in the NBL.

Reply #329657 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Perth seem to be going with Luke Nevill now.

Which is a good signing for them i think, allows Knight to play PF and gives them a fringe boomer level starting C.

Did the 36ers look at him for the spot they offered Schenscher? I thought he would have been a good 2nd choice, having said that im glad it looks like Johnson is going to be given the starting role and be let loose, which should be exciting as he has some serious game and potential and may end up better than Schenscher and Nevill.

Reply #329658 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Could Khazzouh play the 4 spot?
Imagine having Khazzouh and Bogut on at the same time.
The rebounding count will be unreal.

Reply #329659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From The West:

Bogut is valued as a maximum 10-point player and the Wildcats were told he would be assessed as taking $150,000 in the salary cap regardless of what he was actually paid.
Dann out, or Ratzsch?

Like I said, don't bank on this, just a couple of things have made me think the process has moved forward with the Kings. Perth have said they're out. (FWIW, have added a ? to the topic title so no one runs with a possible signing as gospel.)

Business ventures could come into play too - Bogut looking for exposure?
Basketball Australia board member Andrew Gaze said yesterday that Australian clubs would be in competition with clubs worldwide for Bogut's services. However, he believes that the 26-year-old's decision could be swayed by his business interests.

'He's starting up a number of businesses in Australia and he's indicated that [playing here] would be a attractive option for him,' Gaze said. 'That would be to our advantage.'

Reply #329660 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The NBL have been doing their best to promote Sydney. The best promotion would be the Bogie man in gold and violet

Reply #329661 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bogut to the Kings would be amazing from a marketing perspective, he and Khazzouh as twin towers would be hard to stop. Even more intriguing would be opening night - the lightning quick Tigers vs the giant Kings!

Will be interesting to see if Perth can find a way to fit Nevill in.

Reply #329662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be 'nice' to see him in Adelaide (or Perth) but Sydney makes the best sense, by some margin really. They've got by far the best shot of actually getting a return on the investment, both in terms of bums on seats and corporate/media wrangling to make up the difference (and act as partners in promotion - Sydney and nationwide) and they need something like this more than any other team really, and will get more of a leg-up from it than any of the other possible teams would have.

The good news is that they've got good people running the show there now. They work hard to promote, unlike during the Goorjian/Championship years, where they did effectively zero. I mean, a wooden spoon year had a far better crowd average than any championship year - says something - and that wasn't off any extravagant budget or campaigning or anything, almost entirely grassroots and cheap.

So *if* this is true, they've suddenly genuinely got themselves the hottest sports ticket in town. They'll pack the 10K Ent Cent out, and they've got a team in place that should do the right work in regards to turning that into longer lasting benefit.

Hope it's true.

Reply #329672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Khazzouh would leave and go back to Israel/Europe. He won't be getting much court time this season if Bogut's there.

Reply #329676 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I imagine Khazzouh would relish the chance to play alongside him and feed off the attention Bogut attracts, instead of being the one doubled regularly. Not to mention the chance to train against one of the best centres in the world every day.

Reply #329687 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Paul, Perth have the points to fit Neville in (9) don't know about Salary though.

Reply #329694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word I heard there the other day was that whilst it was being considered the same reasons the Sixers won't do it may happen there in Sydney.
Team chemistry, who to drop, lennght of stay, etc.

Reply #329699 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Could the Kings legally or morally double the price of their memberships overnight if this happened?

Also 36ers fans shouldn't worry, Chris Kaman still wants to get a gig outside of the US.

Reply #329702 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think some of what has been said about Boguts "Business Interests" has been misunderstood. His family opened a automotive imports business 4 years ago (funded by AB, but run entirely by his Dad). This imports business is based in Melbourne, not Sydney.
AB has made it clear that at the conclusion of his playing career he will own an NBL team, from what I have heard his preference is to be a rival for the Tigers.
IMO if AB does end up playing some NBL games there will be more for the NBL club to take on board than just AB. Bogut is a very astute business guy and would understand that any official link he has to an NBL team would affect the way his profile is seen here in Australia. That is: play for the Kings......3-4 years down the track the Kings start going broke again. Who are they going to ask for help to bail them out? You guessed it.
My guess is that if he does play a few NBL games during the lockout it will be in Perth, or Melbourne. That's right I said Melbourne.
IMO he wouldn't go anywhere with a shakey financial history.

Reply #329704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be good if the cats can sign nevill as especially if the kings sign bogut they would have big man line up to match up on them with nevill at centre knight at pf and redhege at sf

Reply #329705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would it have killed these guys to put their hands up for a job back when teams still had room under both caps? This makes it very awkward for clubs following fan expectations that they'll make a play for players while knowing it will disrupt teams and potentially alienate cut players.

Reply #329706 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Even though i've historically hated the Kings, i'm liking this

Reply #329707 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

i've heard the same thing - Bogut to Kings...

Reply #329718 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - Kings would be great with Bogut and there would be just so many pluses for both them and the league.

Make it happen!

Reply #329723 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

As Boti pointed out in today's Tiser - we host the Kings in 2 out of the first 3 games or something? So works out well for us Sixers fans...

Reply #329727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt be so sure its a done deal just yet....

There are obvioulsy a couple of major factors that will play into where he will land (if he does in fact play at all)

Which team has an easily expendable player or players that can be shifted to accomodate the points and salary requirements of the league. (possibly an import and/or a big player returning from injury perhaps)

Which club has the sponsorship capabilities to pay for it, or even an owner/ownership group who are willing to put common sense aside in order to feed their ego...

Hmmmmmmm fits a club somewhere North of Sydney I reckon..

Reply #329728 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Be interesting if he does sign with Sydney, but as previously mentioned, only plays home games unless an appearence fee is payed for him to travel.

With our 2nd and 3rd home games against the Kings, would the club want to pay for him to play at the risk of costing us the win?

Reply #329736 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'd love to see him in this league, even if only briefly, and for a team I used to hate. And Sydney would be the best market, strategically speaking, for him to play in, from the NBL's perspective.

Reply #329744 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Port Adelaide get more fans to their AFL game then most Sydney ARL sides get to their local games.

Sydney people just don't follow sport like the rest of the country does. It doesn't matter who is in their side, the fan base won't improve that much.

Reply #329746 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sydney don't mind an event though...and Bogut would be a pretty good ticket seller one would imagine.

Reply #329749 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Is it just me or do the NBL and others always talk about how important it is for the Kings to be a strong team to help promote the NBL????

And when they were top in the comp it didn't make a difference to TV or marketing!!!

How about we just say Bogut playing for any team will be good for the NBL.

Reply #329768 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

anon, as you probably know Sydney didn't go broke a few years ago because of the Sydney Kings' financial history, it was because a crook ran them into the ground (to a certain degree the same can be said for the Bullets). Now they are back in the league and despite being wooden spooners last season are financially viable by all accounts. I doubt, if given Bogut's business nouse he would turn down playing for the Kings because mr Firepower ran them a while ago. There'd surely be a more detailed reason if he went to play in Perth or Adelaide.

Reply #329774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know how true this is but I heard the Kings lost millions of dollars last season despite all the free tickets.

Reply #329777 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Gday curtley, I don't want to argue. It's just that you and I might define "financially viable" quite differently. I wouldn't consider over 80K in unpaid players salaries few years ago financially viable. When the Kings re-launched, the first thing the organisation should have done is to make good on the debts to players who suffered throught the firepower debaucle. A couple of those players are good mates of mine, and good mates of AB.
A couple of those players were pursued by the "new Kings" when the re-launch was anounced and the players response was simple. "I'd love to come play, just pay me the money you owe me". The answer they were given could only be described as p*ssweak.
I love the Kings, always will. But to quote a line from Vinnie Jones "You owe what you owe".

Reply #329782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said, I agree, but unfortunately the current owners did not buy the old license, and therefore are not responsible for the old debts. They need to take it too the old owner, Mr Firepower.

But is does open up the question of whether Sydney can afford it considering that they need to give away tickets to get people to come to the games. And lost nearly $1M last season.

Even when they won 3 years straight, they weren't able to get people in Sydney to pay to come and watch. If they are givig away tickets now, they havn't understood that in doing so they have alienated possible future paying customers who will expect tickets for free.

I feel that for them it would be a huge risk, in that if people are unwilling to pay because that is they thinking in the Sydney market, they might be $1.5M in the red by seasons end. Which the club might not respond from.

Reply #329784 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tough enough restarting an NBL club in difficult times, let alone having to put up money to cover for the mistakes of what was clearly a fraud at the time. Yes, they could voluntarily make those payments, but I don't blame them for not doing so.

I think at one point, Aaron Bruce had a bit of an issue with a past 36ers administration over perceived money owed.

I got the impression last year that the Kings were as much about finding players keen to suit up for them and do the hard work as anything. Yes, it got them the spoon, but the majority of players (e.g., not Ryan) gave their all and you could tell the local fans appreciated that.

Reply #329789 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Well in that case there's probably only 10 sporting clubs in Australia that are financially viable, this is because they historically have a huge number of paying fans or they are propped up by a company that is so large it is happy to cover any losses.

Reply #329792 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Gday again curtley, you are probably right about there being only 10 or so sporting clubs like that. I think most of them would be AFL and NRL clubs.
No malice intended at all, but would you play for a team who didn't pay your mates wages?
I for one wouldn't. I doubt if AB will either.
AB could play anywhere he wanted in the world, if he comes here to play it will be to spend time with family and friends. Did you know he bailed out some of the Sydney Spirit players that were not being paid?
Have a look at AB's past history, as a young junior he really didn't get the opportunities he deserved because of club/coach politics. He looks after those that looked after his best interests. AB would play ABL for Bevo in Tassie before going to a club that ripped off his mates.

Reply #329795 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

anon
different business run by different people you can not relate the two.
in the next few days your last comment will make you look quite foolish

Reply #329801 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Gday Muzz
Maybe, but I don't care about looking foolish because admittedly I'm a bit of a fool. Like I said earlier, I love the Kings.
I just don't think AB will go there. Maybe this whole thing (the NBA lock out, Patty Mills signing with the Tigers, AB coming to play NBL) is a scheme cooked up by the NBL in order to create this intense Melbourne- Sydney rivalry in order to increase the basketball audiences and keep the league in the black.
As for the "different businesses run by different people, can't relate the two" comment, I call for a video umpire decision. Because it smells like Bullsh*t.
If my band plays at your wedding and you only pay 2 of the 4 of us, then 3 years later you get re-married and I hear you are looking for a band again do you say "Sorry mate, new wife can't be responsible for the old wifes debt" or do you say "terribly sorry mate, let's work something out"
My question is "What is the right thing to do?"
Pay the man.

Reply #329805 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

WOW

Reply #329809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow!

Reply #329811 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I'd dare say personnel wise, the Sydney Kings of 2011 have more in common with the 1992 team than the 2004 team.

But yes, provided he hold grudges against organisations rather than individuals then he won't play with the Kings.

Reply #329812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

anon, that is such an awful comparison. Bogut is not an idiot and would surely be aware of the reason Kings players struggled to get paid.

This club is a different entity. Different money behind it, different people. Also realise that if Bogut does want to play in the NBL, no team can deliver the potential publicity, market, etc that Sydney can. A minor beef with a fraudster from the past could have a weak impact if he's being petty, but he may have no other choice.

Reply #329813 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How about, Brisbane "Bogut All Stars" Bullets.
Get it done, no deactiving players needed!

But seriously, I have been reading that it is likely the NBA season will actually start on schedule and the gap between the owners and players really isnt as significant as the media is making it out to be.

If so, haha at Melbourne, and whoever signs Bogut.

Reply #329816 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

anon,

It is more like this.

A guy named Sydney King books someone for a band for a wedding. Only 2 out of 5 get paid. Sydney goes bankrupt cause he is dodgey.

This other guy named Sydney King books the same band for a wedding. This is a different Sydney King and isnt related to the other Sydney King. Why would the band not do the gig?

Reply #329817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings actually lost close to $2m last season, but that was wholly expected. They were a start up business. When the last 'Kings' went down, everything was sold. As they like to say, when they started, they didn't even own a single basketball.

They basically said $1m was the one off loss on start up, the other $1m was the loss for the season. They were planning/expecting to halve that this season. Fairly standard for a new business. Throw Bogut in (both expense and reward) and lord knows. But they're not like the Kings of old - sensible heads and good planning over there now.

In regards to cutting players to make room for him - wouldn't you only need to send an import packing?

Reply #329822 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From the interview a coupla years ago in MEL
while waiting for insurance to kick in on his new Bucks contract, he won't train uninsured.
So, if this is $80-$100k per game for insurance,
then he won't train.
He spoke about the muscle car biz he's doing with his dad.
But, sounds more likely NBA will start 01nov11.

Reply #329823 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

that was the weirdest analogy I have ever read in my entire life, almost made my brain hurt ??????

Reply #329831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro rated for the time that Bogut would play in the NBL wouldnt be a lot of money at all.
If the NBL are saying $150 thou for a full season then 3 months of that would b $50K.
Salary is the least of the Kings problems doing the deal.

Reply #329846 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

if there is a wedding band in the forest, and there is no one there to hear them, do they make a sound at all?

Reply #329856 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

What if they play in another forest, that is a different forest, but looks the same as the first? Any sound then?

Reply #329857 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

ab4e, depends on whether the first forest paid only 2 of the 4 band members. Duh.

Reply #329872 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

So will Bogut sign up with the Kings or not?

Round 1 coud see Mills and Bogut on court at once...

Reply #329877 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Being a Sixers fan, but a Kings member (I actually get to go to games this way) i'd love to see Bogut in a Kings uniform.

I thought the Kings did quite well last season, in terms of attendences and the like, given it was their first season back and they lost 14 straight games. There was always 4000 odd people at the games (the last game of the year topped 8000 people which was probably the biggest crowd in the NBL last season). I know they did give tickets away, but if they're going to build a supporters base they need to get people through the doors to see the games. I would expect they'd do similar this season to try and get some more season ticket holders, then start upping prices (or making it more attractive to be a season ticket holder - last season it would have been cheaper for me to buy a ticket each week than be a season ticket holder).

And as previously mentioned, Sydney loves an event. Bogut in a Kings uniform on opening night would certaintly classify as an event and probably a sell out. Now it'll just take the kings finding someone to cover his insurance and we're away.

Reply #329889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone's suggested to me that they may have found help with the insurance, but not 100% confident yet.

Reply #329891 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Be interesting if he does sign with Sydney, but as previously mentioned, only plays home games unless an appearence fee is payed for him to travel.

pay an appearance fee to have your opposition bring their best player lol
stuff that, they want him, they can pay for him

Reply #329905 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

What are the chances that Bogut makes and announcement at the Sydney boomers game this weekend.

Reply #329915 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Pretty sure that Bogut (or at least his camp) was quoted as saying a decision wouldn't be made until very early October?

Reply #329920 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - quoted as saying would make a decision on 1 October. Sydney's first game is against Melbourne on 7 October.

Reply #329926 | Report this post

Rydogg  
Years ago

Brandon Jennings is actually declaring serious interest in following Bogey to Australia.

No that would be a serious coup!

Reply #330103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/basketball/andrew-bogut-huge-chance-to-play-for-sydney-kings-in-national-basketball-league/story-e6frf3f3-1226135437705

sounds like sydney is definitely first preference (if they can sort out insurance) but Adelaide and outside chance.

although sounds like the lockout could be over shortly anyway

Reply #330484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754