Anonymous
Years ago

Problems with the NBL and easy fixes

ok, I think the NBL could be fixed relatively easy... heres why I think it is not successful

Ugly Courts
Ugly Uniforms
Ugly TV presentation

Fix that, and U have fixed the NBL. people like pretty colors, they find themselves watching things they wouldnt usually because it. MAKE IT VISUALLY APPEALING FFS

Topic #26265 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Genius. You should apply for the new Marketing position at the Sixers.

Reply #329937 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Do you watch the Disney channel alot?

"People like pretty colours"... Are you serious?

Reply #329940 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I agree with the ugly Courts. About half of the courts in the NBL look terrible and are poor standard. But Uniforms and TV presentation really isnt that bad.

Reply #329941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post your ideas and suggestions here:

http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/showthread.php?t=5841

Reply #329944 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

I agree annon. Some of the team names could go an update as well. Has anyone really been impressed with 'the 36ers' as a team name? Surely we could do better!

Reply #329950 | Report this post

travismreid  
Years ago

I actually thought most of the uniforms and courts took a major leap forward last season. Particularly the uniforms with And1 coming on board to provide uniforms for all clubs.

Reply #329959 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Change the team name? you serious? do you even know why we are named the 36ers???

Reply #329964 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Uniforms are sweet.
What makes a pretty court? One your team wins on or one with "pretty colours" everywhere?
Changing club names is a joke, history is more important than bandwagon fans who will come and go regardless

Reply #329967 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I think Phil might be trolling there True Blue =)

The TV product looks fine. Uniforms are only ugly because of the need for sponsor logos, which are an unfortunate but necessary part of the game.

The main problem with the NBL is not branding, it's visibility. Basketball is not a highly popular entertainment sport in this country, and the solutions to make it more popular involve time such as increasing junior participation and retention, more visibility on FTA, school visits by teams etc.

These things all take time to bear fruit, and remember that culturally AFL, cricket and to some extent soccer have more roots in Australian life than basketball.

Reply #329968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd agree some of the uniforms look a bit rank, and some team logos are looking dated.

The Hawks new logo is a step in the right direction, while The Breakers is just....awful.

Reply #329970 | Report this post

Davoids  
Years ago

For God's sake FIX THE HALF TIME ENTERTAINMENT!

It is beyond God awful in Perth and very rarely has anything to do with Basketball.

Also, bring back the awesome player intros where the whole stadium is pitch black apart from the spotlight on the starting five.

Reply #329971 | Report this post

Import fan  
Years ago

I agree with the OP I've been saying this for years. We all understand the need for sponsors but they make the product look cheap and ugly. AFL has it right, one samll front sponsor, one on back, one on field (nbl should have keys done only) and nicer sponsoring around courts boundaries. Having 100's of different sponsors everywhere looks so ugly oTV.

Reply #329986 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

The 36ers name relates to our state's heritage and should be something for SA to be proud of.
How many clubs have changed names and lost all tradition and heritage?
What do suggest to improve the "ugly courts"?
Perhaps artificial grass or a print of Julius Hodge's head at top of keyway so that every player going for a dunk stomps on the idiot first?
What pretty colour would you like? The Pixies folded years ago, so the Pink singlets are now available.

Be Proud & Positive!

Reply #329992 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Now putting political correctness aside, what about taking a leaf out of the NFL and consider lingerie basketball at half time?

Reply #329995 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

The last team to change there name was the West Sydney Razorbacks to the Sydney Spirit. They folded after 1 season as the Sydney Spirit and only had 900 for a few games.

Reply #330024 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Agreed about the court and the spectacle, but even the AFL's Auskick spectacle and whatever else is lame.

I actually think the NBL could attract more fans with gimmicky things during breaks, a bit like in the film semi-pro.

At a GS V Spurs game I saw a dominos pizza guy ran around giving out free pizzas to the craziest fans - free publicity, free food....Yay.

Reply #330025 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Sydney Spirit was a bad name to start with, changing the name is not the issue, what you change it to is important. From Spectres to Dragons, that club always enjoyed the biggest supporter base in Victoria. They had many incarnations but always a good uniform, logo and marketing.

Reply #330036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The uniforms have improved lately, however we should remove the sponsor off the front of EVERY jersey so the name/city is the only writing. Copy afl and put the major sponsor on the lower back or shorts. The court should be untouched, only team logo at centre court.
The screens along the sidelines at the Adelaide arena give enough plugs for the sponsors. Give me 2 weeks at the sixers as gametime entertainment manager and I'll have the place rocking. The last few years have been a disgrace!

Reply #330041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not look back at what changed when basketball went from being prime-time telecasts that everyone was talking about to what it is now?

Reply #330044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It changed when MJ retired from the Bulls.
The Fairytale ended and so did humble superstars. No heros for the kids in Australia. It's easy the kids are your next season ticket holders. I grew up with MJ covering my bedroom walls, he made me a basketball fan for life and now I pay my $320 every year to cheer the Sixers.
Maybe when Durant wins MVP next year some kids might get inspired, as good as LeBron is he's no hero!

Reply #330047 | Report this post

peterjohn  
Years ago

so how many people decide whether or not to go to an NBL game because of the uniforms?

Reply #330100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe? a reason why there is a small following wuld have to do with so many players playing at a new club every season. its ridiculous... its hard to follow a club wen your team has a whole new roster every year. u dont get to watch the boys start off as rookies and then develop into the clubs star player.. you just get a million different players switching and changing teams... makes it hard to love to hate players and vice verser becoz that player will probly end up at ur club in the next year or two... no loyalty to players. i have no doubt nbl players wuld prefer to sign a 3year deal, then sign a 1year deal at adelaide and then have to sign a one year deal at townsville the next year, etc etc

Reply #330106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Number one reason why no one goes, only basketball junkies know when games are on.

Clubs need to spend some cash promoting the game instead of spending money on crap like half time entertainment.

Reply #330115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Halftime is so easy!
Get 25 people up for halfcourt shots for a small prize. It's not about what you win, it's about the experience. I won a crappy Phillis DVD player hitting a 3 in a shootout and I'll always remember that moment. Forget spending big money all they need is a ball.

Reply #330130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in regards to the pretty color thing, yes its true... people by and large are idiots... shit, they bvuy show bags for the pretty pictures on them... you dont think the same thing works for people watching things on tv>????? if it looks goopd. they watch, and right now... NBL is not exactly optically appeasing

Reply #330136 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NBL unis are pretty atrocious, but they're not half as bad as they visual pollution that is modern NRL jerseys: and they aren't doing too bad.

Reply #330332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754