Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Introducing Heritage Round

from the advertise/adelaide now:

"Round seven, when the 36ers host Melbourne Tigers at Brett Maher Court on November 19, will be the league's inaugural "heritage round", the first of three themed rounds this season.

"It will be based around wearing of retro uniforms, honouring past greats and a way of re-engaging fans who supported the league in those eras," NBL media manager Marc Howard said.

Round 16 will be the "family round" and round 21 the "community round".

In keeping with league's research to make the sport even more "family friendly", each venue this season now will house an interactive "fanzone" where youngsters can test their skills and meet their favourite players."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/asian-showdown-in-nbl-bonanza/story-e6frecj3-1226137324993

I was talking about this just the other day and now its happening. I'm sure other people have wanted it too. Heritage round is such a great idea as is the family round where kids can shoot around before the game etc. Hopefully its well executes and they do a good job of emulating the full on pre game experience that they have going on outside NBA arenas before games.

People's thoughts?

Topic #26314 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

I think its fantastic. The NBL needs to re-establish links to the past and to the fans. I really feel like they are starting to get it. Its amazing what can happen when you get some good administrators on board. Well done NBL! I can't wait for the season to get started.

Reply #330798 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Should be, the NBL is "reintroducing" heritage round. It did this for a couple of seasons in the mid-late 90's.

Reply #330799 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

The question is whether or not the "former" players are interested at all in getting involved with their former clubs or not.

It's one thing to wear a different uniform for a little nostalgia, but I think an important thing will be for the retired players to get included.

Obviously we know Mahersy, Davis and Al Green are all solid in that respect for Adelaide. Lanard and Gaze are always there for the Tigers and certainly you could get Vlahov, perhaps Ricky Grace and/or Scott Fisher to pop-in for Perth.

Hopefully the heritage" round gets beyond a uniform change.

Reply #330801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish some clubs would keep the heritage uniforms, or not try to be so modern with their uniforms... Starts to become a tad tacky.

Reply #330802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see where you're coming from Anon but the clubs are a bit limited ATM as they all have to follow the same template as there is one apparel sponsor making all the uniforms. (side panels of whats on front of home and away jerseys are all the same/same format). Stupid I know, as Adidas making the NBA uniforms and they are all completely unique jerseys.

Reply #330803 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Good opportunity to produce some retro jerseys for fans to buy. Could run a fan poll as to the 3 or 4 jerseys the club should produce for sale.

Limit the production to create the 'rareness' quality, give away/auction a signed and framed jersey of each player at the game.

I'd buy a Davis jersey. Definitely buy a Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss jersey!

Reply #330804 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

cantbuyabasket.com has shown how the teams may look.

How teams might look.

Reply #330808 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Good idea Doc.

If they were to select either the blue Pura milk, the red eagle super, or the 80's west end jerseys, they could probably get Pura or Westend to chip in for manufacturing, and therefore keep the price down for fans.

It would be free advertising for them, right?

The cheaper they are, the more they'll sell that night. (still keeping them rare, by never selling them after that game) it would be like a "i was there" souvenir.

Imagine a full dome in retro Red uniforms! We'd be unbeatable that night.

Reply #330810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be great to see the Sixers play 1 game in 80s red and one in the classic 2002 blue with that big old school logo on the front.

I'd definitely buy a Maher 2002 jersey!

Reply #330812 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Coopz - that approach might offend the new major sponsors. Could be a major hurdle to producing 'authentic' looking retro jerseys

Reply #330814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surely if you just left west end/pura milk off the jersey it'd be better than nothing? not as good i agree. seems funny, fancy us WANTING to have sponsors on jerseys!

Reply #330816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be good if the 36ers retro uniform payed homage to the 1986 Championship team.; or alternately would be fantastic if the 36ers uniform was from sometime in the 80's/ early 90’s before the shift to blue/ yellow occurred.

Reply #330818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the players are going to wear uniforms from the 80s/90s does that mean they will also be wearing the tight shorts ( for us female fans )

Reply #330830 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Had it been a round where the Sixers played two away games we could have seen the Adelaide City uniform one game, West Adelaide uniform the other.

Then again, mostly likely not!

Reply #330836 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I'm a little disappointed by the timing of the heritage round - only from a Townsville perspective.

This season is our 20th in the NBL and we have a lot planned with Suns v Crocs games featuring players form the past who have played for Suns & Crocs, our 600th game, our 300th home game, 20th season Breakfast, 20th season Dinner, naming of team of the 20 seasons etc...

The problem being that Round 7 we are ON THE ROAD in the Gold Coast! GC aren't a team we have any history with really, only playing them once in the payoffs.

Reply #330838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One season in the mid 00s, the Kings sold 'retro' jerseys of former players (Keogh, McClain, Carfino etc) and they absolutely flew out the door. I have no idea why, but once they were gone, they were gone. No re-stock, and they never re-appeared in any following season. Can't even fathom why that was the case.

Anyway, great idea.

Would be cool if the Blaze did it in Rollers uniforms.

Reply #330899 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Bring back West Adelaide for the warm-up game, along with the Forestville team- Green, Ali, Maddiford, Richardson-- might be a slow game but what recognition for the "Pioneers" from SA

Reply #330903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Retro jerseys is an awesome idea. Crawford, Vlahov, Grace in Perth, Green, Maher, Davis in Adelaide, Gaze, Copeland and Bradtke in Melbourne, Overton, M Thomas and Hubbard in Wollongong, La Fluer, Mitchell and Daniel Joyce on the Gold Coast etc etc.

Bring them out mid-season once people have already bought this year's jersey. You could even just make it one or two each year and do a different lot each year to create anticipation and demand.

Reply #330906 | Report this post

True Supporter  
Years ago

You could only do it once a season or it loses it edge.

Coopz sponsors would have to be current especially given the focus that this round would get it would be unfair to current sponsors if they were not on there in a round that will get so much exposure.

Should not sell them all the time, must keep it special or unique which is why once a season works and really every other week we should be in blue helping the dome woops sorry Arena become more intimidating.

Reply #330928 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I know this is covering old territory, but do you think it might be worth revisiting the idea of retiring a few more numbers for the Sixers ala Al Green or Darryl Pearce.

I know Pearce probably isn't all that likely, however Green played a good number of years AND has been ivovled with Basketball clinics and club events for a number of years.

Granted the likes of Davis and Maher are staples who had the longevity with the club, but I would think the heritage round could take advantage of using the round for events like this.

Rod, sorry to hear about the situation with the Heritage round. Is it worth the club putting an appeal in to get the schedule changed?

Reply #330940 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Old school G, Terry Dozier taking it to the rack

Reply #331056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754