skip
Years ago

Bogut to Sydney Kings subject to insurance

From One managements twitter.

Update on @AndrewMBogut. He is committed to the @NBL. He would like to play for @thesydneykings. Insurance is still not finalised.

Followed by

As such he will not be playing tomorrow night against Melbourne. We will continue to try and resolve the insurance policy.

and

Thanks to everyone for your patience. We will keep you up to date as things progress.

Great news for the league. Hope the insurance is sorted before October 21st! (and hopefully the lock out last a little longer too!)

Topic #26506 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I will be out of the country for one 36ers home game, and it's against the Kings knowing my luck, but this would be massive for the league.

Here's hoping there's resolution on the insurance soon.

Reply #333452 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hopefully he is still around for the next home game as well on November 12th (just for you Isaac).

Reply #333455 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I call bullshit, no one mocked Skip or Fitz in that tweet

Reply #333456 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Fantastic news. Intention is set and it's only the insurance that will keep him out of the league.

Looks like I'm heading to the Gong in round 4 to see Mills, and Sydney to see AB in round 3.

Reply #333459 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great news! Looking forward to it - shame he can't play in the opener against Patty Mills.

Reply #333461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its been a long road with all this. Before they said the insurance is all finalised and now its not?
Ill believe it when hes suited up and on the court during warm ups

Reply #333469 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No one beleived me, I've been saying this since Day 1. He is Uninsurable to play here. He has pre-existing injuries that have been subjected to NBA programmed and NBA insured rehab. It is very clear (albeit disappointing news) that he cannot play outside NBA compettion and be insured with those pre-existing injuries.
He will end up a Asst Coach/Players Mentor/Promoter for the Kings.
He can of course take the risk of playing uninsured or partially insured, but I think that would be unlikely. Who would risk the guaranteed paycheck?

Reply #333474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The good news (assuming all this crap gets cleared up) is that it allows the Kings to pump up their season opener in Sydney against the defending champs - also assuming they have the guys there in the front office who know how to market this game

Reply #333475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd say if LeBron James wanted to play for the Kings the promotional side of it would still be lacking and be lame as.

Reply #333480 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Bogut just being in the building or travelling with the KINGS would be good enough to boost the NBL.
Anythings better than nothing

Reply #333483 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

anon your arguement does not make much sense IMO

See other NBA players e.g. Kenyon Martin playing in China who are comin off more serious injuries than Bogut IMO.

Isaac's and others previous posts re maybe not wanting to play for whatever reasons are more reasonable - as in has not much to gain but plenty to lose.

I hope they can work through the issues. The longer this lockout drags on the better the prospects IMO

Reply #333488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

arent any players in china there for the season??
so insurance would not have been an issue for Martin.
just a thought.

Reply #333492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of NBA players in Europe. However, they say that more than one company is needed for Boguts insurance, and that could legitimately delay things. I think we'll know soon enough whether this is a hoax or not.

With the NBA season looking like being delayed for at least half a season lets hope not.

Reply #333493 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Martin, and all China bound players - are unrestricted free agents. Not the same. They have nothing to insure.

Reply #333499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, I should say that I personally don't think that's quite the reason things might've been so glacial, I'm more putting forward what I heard second-hand as a frustration from a club-that-isn't-Adelaide and one of my guesses based on that.

The injury and insurance combination must be at a level above the other NBA players signing abroad.

Ginobili has a similarly-sized three year deal and there's been no mention of extended insurance issues for him amongst rumours of him playing in Italy so I wonder if two factors are:

• age; Bogut is seven years younger. If he went down now and his contract was void, he wouldn't be homeless but he would be missing the payout and a good number of years ahead of him.
  • the injury and how Milwaukee feel about it; could the Bucks look to use any minor insurance clause transgression to get out of the big contract if they think this injury has irreparably impacted their player?
Bogut is not financially stupid. He might not be confident of getting another big deal if teams are concerned about the injury.

I quickly trawled a few Bucks forums and fans were talking about trading Bogut for a top ten pick.

Reply #333501 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I remember Boguys shooting action before the injury, near on perfect,
but this last season watching him shoot after the injury ....its clearly not the same.
you dont have to look at his comparable shooting percentages to notice it. {esp from the foul line...}

Bucks and Boguy are in a difficult situation,
Boguy needs to get into a gym and work on his action, but if he plays in some "weaker" foreign league, would they just try to shut him down by hacking his right arm/shoulder/whatever?

I want to see Andrew starting to nail foul shots again, but i dont want to see him spending half the game literally standing at the foul line, taking endless foul shots.

The NBL is not as rough as many other leagues but also does not have too many games a week, and Sydney would be great for him, lets hope it happens.

Reply #333509 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I honestly dont see how people think this is so good for the League. Its simple, Bogut is a level above every NBL player. He will dominate teams and destroy the competetive level that you need to have a successful competition.
He will bring a few more people to those games, but he wont bring long term supporters, he wont bring long term interest.
I see him playing causing alot more people to be disgruntled that the competition will now be so completely lop sided. The 36ers will not win this year so long as Bogut plays, what team will with Sydneys somehow under budget line up.

Look at the AFL they are concerned with the number of blowout games this year since it doesnt bring people to watch games but causes teams supporters to think its a waste of time to goto these games.

Mills is a fringe NBA player so will affect the league in a more positive manner. He wont be able to simply dominate like Bogut will.
Excited to see him play??? in the NBA yes in the NBL..no

Reply #333510 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Skud, I guess time will tell, bit it's not like he's joining the reigning champions or anything so I don't think the Kings will be 20 points better than the competition. I'm surprised how you can't see how this would be good for the league, the obvious positive benefits of increased media interest, increase in casual (or lost) fans returning to a stadium for the first time in years and remembering how good it is, almost guaranteed sell outs for all Kings games home and away etc etc.

If he slots in well, dominates the competition and the Kings become invincible is that any different to Sixers '86 team who only lost one (or was it two?) games all season? Or the dominant Magic teams under Goorgian? Kings will become the team that everyone wants to beat and the interest surrounding this will be unprecedented in the last decade.

Reply #333512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wont suit up for a full season neither, i agree how can it not be good for us

Reply #333515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone thinks Bogut would dominate, so nothing lost there. If he doesnt the league might get some long overdue respect.

Reply #333522 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

as an aside, i can't wait to watch 'the fast and the furious: tokyo drift' tomorrow night. I suppose theres really nothing else happening in Australia at 8:30pm tomorrow night.

Reply #333523 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

pwned, could be worse, they could be showing the one where they forgot to put the "the's" in the title.

Reply #333563 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754